Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1415830 times)

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #7840 on: March 10, 2019, 05:49:37 am »
I think it would be so much easier on the team and us (the fans) if we just admit that coming in 2nd this season can be considered progress. And when you compare this with last 2 seasons where we only confirmed 4th place at the last fixture, it puts things into perspective.

We have almost wrapped up 2nd place if we continue our current trajectory as other clubs under us tend to drop more points.

Therefore if we want to finally start playing "unleashing football" that we did to devastating effect last season (only undermined by incompetent defence and goalkeeper which should not happen now), the only thing we (team and us) need to do is to consider this season to be a success no matter what happens in May.

So to summarize :
a)Consider this season so far a success
b)No pressure on our team as if we have nothing to lose.
c)We can go back to playing devastating football which comes naturally to our squad of players
d)End the season on a high when though we come in 2nd
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7841 on: March 10, 2019, 05:58:07 am »

I think you've totally missed the point there. No, I don't really care what other clubs think about us. I'm sure most of our fans feel the same way. Outside of a few clubs that would probably rather see life end rather than us winning the title, I'm surprised that the majority of supporters and clubs despise us. Here we are going about it in the right way against an immoral and financially corrupt machine in City who bring the game into disrepute, and yet they'd still rather see them win it. I find it odd.
Its because they are scared $hit that once we win once, we are gonna start dominating the league for years. Arsenal Fans seem to be the only ones who view us winning the league more positively. The rest (MU, Chelsea, Small club across the park, even frickin spurs) all prefer Man City to win it.
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #7842 on: March 10, 2019, 06:07:48 am »
Was ridiculed for saying it’s gone the other week. Too many shithouses on here too scared of sounding negative when it was obvious they were hitting form as we lost it

And quite right too. See you next season.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7843 on: March 10, 2019, 06:37:00 am »
And quite right too. See you next season.
Was going to write some gobby reply but you saved me the trouble, cheers.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #7844 on: March 10, 2019, 07:09:47 am »
Barca.

Madrid.

Ajax.

Holland 74.

Brazil 70

Barca being universally liked is highly debatable. Loads of people hate Real, loads.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #7845 on: March 10, 2019, 07:12:56 am »
Barca being universally liked is highly debatable. Loads of people hate Real, loads.

"Universally liked" is not what the poster said. He/She said "liked outside of their fanbase"

But even still, that Barca 08-12 team were well liked outside of just Barca fans. The Madrid team of Del Bosque was liked by non-Madrid fans. The Ajax teams of 71-73 and 95 were well-liked by non Ajax fans. Everyone loves the Total Football 74 Holland team, as well as the Brazil 70 and 82 teams. All great sides, all liked by large groups of supporters who weren't supporters of those specific teams normally.
Better looking than Samie.

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7846 on: March 10, 2019, 07:17:46 am »
"Universally liked" is not what the poster said. He/She said "liked outside of their fanbase"

But even still, that Barca 08-12 team were well liked outside of just Barca fans. The Madrid team of Del Bosque was liked by non-Madrid fans. The Ajax teams of 71-73 and 95 were well-liked by non Ajax fans. Everyone loves the Total Football 74 Holland team, as well as the Brazil 70 and 82 teams. All great sides, all liked by large groups of supporters who weren't supporters of those specific teams normally.

I still think the first two are debatable. But even if that were true you're talking a handful of teams out of hundreds that are liked outside of their fan base. As it should be. Football was, is, and will ever be tribal.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #7847 on: March 10, 2019, 07:20:40 am »
I still think the first two are debatable. But even if that were true you're talking a handful of teams out of hundreds that are liked outside of their fan base. As it should be. Football was, is, and will ever be tribal.

He/She didn't say "teams", though. They said "great sides". Great sides are loved by more than their immediate support. That's part of being a "great side". Liverpool have had more great sides than most, and there was a time when our support was reckoned to be the most knowledgeable. Klopp is well capable of putting a great side out that will be memorable to more than just Liverpool fans.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #7848 on: March 10, 2019, 07:28:26 am »

I'd add the Arsenal 2002-04 team to that group. I remember a lot of non-Arsenal fans were actually backing them to remain unbeaten for the season, and that team is generally thought of fondly by most fans of English football and seems to transcend tribal loyalties. 
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7849 on: March 10, 2019, 07:30:42 am »
He/She didn't say "teams", though. They said "great sides". Great sides are loved by more than their immediate support. That's part of being a "great side". Liverpool have had more great sides than most, and there was a time when our support was reckoned to be the most knowledgeable. Klopp is well capable of putting a great side out that will be memorable to more than just Liverpool fans.

Okay, sure, great sides are admired outside of their fan base.

Anyway, back to City. They've one 18 of the last 19 games they've played. If they win 26 of the last 27 what can you do about that? Nothing. Ordinary I would have to grudgingly respect that, after all, this would be a team that secured 100 points and then 99 points in successive seasons marking them a 'great side' (maybe even the best) but they would have disgracefully disregarded FFP rules to aquire the greatest squad in English league history and that should be punished not applauded.

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7850 on: March 10, 2019, 07:31:27 am »
Was ridiculed for saying it’s gone the other week. Too many shithouses on here too scared of sounding negative when it was obvious they were hitting form as we lost it

And I hope you're ridiculed again. It's not "gone", win today and we're a point behind with 8 games to go. "Scared of sounding negative"? Maybe they don't share your pessimistic view? "Shithouses"? erm, yeah.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7851 on: March 10, 2019, 08:08:35 am »

You’re always likely to be ridiculed when you include your IQ as part of your username
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #7852 on: March 10, 2019, 08:31:09 am »
I was just reading a Spurs forum to see their take their board/Levy etc and the view is that if they are to miss out on a place in the top four, a decent consolation would be denting our title chances when they come to Anfield. Watford supporters wanted to get something from Anfield but then absolutely roll over for City. You'd expect it from the usual suspects like United and Everton and a few others but it's looking more and more as if absolutely no one wants us to win this league. It just astounds me.

Let's just win the damn thing and give them something more to hate
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7853 on: March 10, 2019, 08:48:37 am »
I think City will drop points at some point, but we need to make sure we're in a position to take advantage of it. If we're going to win it then I think we're going to have to win every game. It would've been nice to have 'saved' one of those draws we had at home to Leicester or away to West Ham but they're gone now.

We need to get back to that clinical controlled football - that's what will win us 9 matches and potentially a league title.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7854 on: March 10, 2019, 09:30:27 am »
I was just reading a Spurs forum to see their take their board/Levy etc and the view is that if they are to miss out on a place in the top four, a decent consolation would be denting our title chances when they come to Anfield. Watford supporters wanted to get something from Anfield but then absolutely roll over for City. You'd expect it from the usual suspects like United and Everton and a few others but it's looking more and more as if absolutely no one wants us to win this league. It just astounds me.

Yup, its an absolute shit show really.

Utd will roll over when they play City because they won't want to be the team to hand us the title, whereas we face a resiliant Utd playing at 110%, doing absolutely anything they can to take points off us.

We're literally at a handicap. We've basically had 2 extra games to play over City since February, because the games they get byes in (Goodison and Old Trafford), we've dropped points in as it was their biggest games of the season.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #7855 on: March 10, 2019, 09:42:25 am »

Holland 74.

They bottled it against West Germany
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7856 on: March 10, 2019, 09:42:48 am »

Utd will roll over when they play City because they won't want to be the team to hand us the title, whereas we face a resiliant Utd playing at 110%, doing absolutely anything they can to take points off us.

We're literally at a handicap. We've basically had 2 extra games to play over City since February, because the games they get byes in (Goodison and Old Trafford), we've dropped points in as it was their biggest games of the season.

Do you really think players with an ego such as Pogba give a fuck who wins the league if it isn't him? You think he's happy playing Europa League for a year just so Liverpool don't win the league?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #7857 on: March 10, 2019, 10:07:01 am »

Fantastic team to watch.
Was gutted when Gerd Muller spun and scored in that final, always seemed like a stoppable goal (well not as gutted as a dutch mate!).

Offline KevLFC

• Doesn't know the offside laws
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7858 on: March 10, 2019, 10:12:47 am »
Do you really think players with an ego such as Pogba give a fuck who wins the league if it isn't him? You think he's happy playing Europa League for a year just so Liverpool don't win the league?

Didn't we once roll over for Chelsea to win the league when Gerrard did that back pass?

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #7859 on: March 10, 2019, 10:46:19 am »
I don't understand this obsession with other teams 'rolling over'. Its ridiculous. Yes Watford put out what seemed a second string squad yesterday, but they were holding on until they conceded the first questionable goal. We absolutely battered them with their so-called first team.

Whatever other fans think (quite frankly the more of them that hate us the better), we are talking about professional football players. To think that Utd are going to roll over in their derby when they still have a Champions League spot to play just reeks of conspiracy and paranoia. I'll leave that to City and Everton fans thank you very much.

Worry about our results, starting with Burnley.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7860 on: March 10, 2019, 10:46:26 am »

Its not about Paul Pogba though is it, its the whole of Manchester United, the players will know themselves the fans won't want them to win and that will filter through to the dressing room, no player would want to be the one who won us the title, if Lingard lashed in a winner in the 90th minute, he'd be known as the player who won Liverpool the title.

Didn't we once roll over for Chelsea to win the league when Gerrard did that back pass?

Exactly this, but its even worse for Utd because we havent won it in so long, back then we were used to Utd winning it so it would've been a shrug and move on moment. There isn't a chance of Utd coming up with a win/draw if it means we win our first title in 30 years, you're honestly naive if you think they won't lose that game.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7861 on: March 10, 2019, 10:47:34 am »

No

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7862 on: March 10, 2019, 10:50:07 am »
Its not about Paul Pogba though is it, its the whole of Manchester United, the players will know themselves the fans won't want them to win and that will filter through to the dressing room, no player would want to be the one who won us the title, if Lingard lashed in a winner in the 90th minute, he'd be known as the player who won Liverpool the title.

The players don't give a fuck what the fans want. They're not going to take a year of Europa League just to stop Liverpool winning the league. They want to play in the champions league. If Champions League was secured, or impossible, I would agree they would be inclined to not give a fuck.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7863 on: March 10, 2019, 10:50:42 am »
The players don't give a fuck. They want to play in the champions league. If Champions League was secured, or impossible, I would agree they would be inclined to not give a fuck.

The way things are going, champions league might be secured by the time they face them, we really could do with an Arsenal win today.

Offline grossagain

• Main Stander
« Reply #7864 on: March 10, 2019, 10:51:43 am »

Everton gave them a good game.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7865 on: March 10, 2019, 10:54:00 am »

Nah we were just crap and depleted
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Carrard

• Kopite
« Reply #7866 on: March 10, 2019, 10:54:04 am »
No mention of the injustice of city’s opener last night anywhere on social media

How odd. Everton and united fans find it funny which is fine. But when we get one they’re writing dead serious open letters of sinister goings on

This is all without mention city’s breach of FFP
Up the reds down the blues
I hate Mancs you should to

Offline grossagain

• Main Stander
« Reply #7867 on: March 10, 2019, 10:55:25 am »
It's a bit of a shame for us that Man Utd got through in the champions league, as I'd banked on them being much fresher than City going into that game (mentioned this before with regards to Spurs going through, but that was much less unexpected).

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7868 on: March 10, 2019, 10:57:13 am »
Everton gave them a good game.

;D What? They didn't even have a shot for the last 40 mins despite being behind.

Offline skerriesred

• Main Stander
  • Devuelvemela pelota.
« Reply #7869 on: March 10, 2019, 10:59:00 am »
I think everyone needs to just concentrate on what we have to do.
We need to support the team and the players need to do their best.
All else is noise that we cant influence for the better.
Ignore them focus on us.
" Never make a decision until you have to, because often they are made for you"
Bill Shankly

Offline Carrard

• Kopite
« Reply #7870 on: March 10, 2019, 11:01:44 am »

As I’ve said on many occasions, fans and players attitudes, desires, feelings and sense of occasion have never been further apart. Works with united and Everton

There may have been a time in the 70’s/80’s where you could legitimately suggest this. But now, Pogba and co couldn’t give a shit who wins the league

I’ll give you Rashford amd Lingard maybe but even then they’re only young lads brought up away from the pathetic hate of forums, pubs, workplaces etc. None of them can relate, 90% of the fans if they could play would happily score an own goal. The players just want to play football

Rooney was as close as it came. He hated us, but even he would bust a gut v city if he was playing

They simply aren’t like us.
Up the reds down the blues
I hate Mancs you should to

Offline grossagain

• Main Stander
« Reply #7871 on: March 10, 2019, 11:05:32 am »
;D What? They didn't even have a shot for the last 40 mins despite being behind.

Well it's relative to how much most teams struggle to balance attack versus defence against City. They were only 1 behind, so I totally understand trying to keep it tight, as I said about Bournemouth last week. They did pose a threat at times, and certainly didn't roll over.

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are Magic, Everton are Tragic
« Reply #7872 on: March 10, 2019, 12:27:14 pm »
I genuinely don’t understand any Red who isn’t behind VAR. was is last season we were top of the bad decisions league? Last year where we got 2 pens in total across the calendar yeat at Anfield? Kompany should’ve been sent at the Etihad. It goes on today. We would absolutely benefit from it. Its not a conspiracy- its human beings being shit at their job and letting their sense of importance override their critical faculties, ie balancing  out Liverpool v Burnley by allowing fouls they would never allow us to make etc.
'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'
Bill Shankly

01 06 22 23 47 64 66 73 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 86 88 90 20

77 78 81 84 05 19

At The End Of The Storm I

Offline PaulKS

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7873 on: March 10, 2019, 02:09:56 pm »
Think today rubbished the notion that our team is "bottling it"

No bigger test of bottle than to go 1-0 down after 5 minutes when we had to win... didn't faze them at all

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #7874 on: March 10, 2019, 02:10:24 pm »
The referees are going to do absolutely everything possible to stop us winning this. We're going to have to be good enough to take them out of the equation if we're going to do it.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #7875 on: March 10, 2019, 02:15:41 pm »
This was the sort of game where we had to win and if we didn't then it would be an uphill battle from then on so today reminded us why we're in the position we're in after a few lacklustre performances and we now have the chance to go top going in to the international break.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7876 on: March 10, 2019, 02:20:53 pm »
The only team in a he league where I could see players rolling over is Everton. United's fans are bell ends of whom many would be happy to lose but at Old Trafford they'll support they're own team unlike Everton. Their players have a big club mentality and will try to win as they'll be desperate for champions league.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7877 on: March 10, 2019, 02:21:00 pm »
Palace Utd Spurs Burnley Leicester. I think City are definitely dropping points in that run of games.

In contrast, we have Fulham Cardiff Newcastle and Saints left away from home. Won't be easy but our form against the bottom 14 this season suggests maximum points is very possible. It then leaves us with Chelsea Spurs Wolves and Huddersfield at home. I believe our form at Anfield will decide this title race. We need to get the place rocking vs Chelsea and Tottenham. Either way - we have a massive chance to do this in my eyes.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #7878 on: March 10, 2019, 02:22:33 pm »
Think the CL plays a massive part.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7879 on: March 10, 2019, 02:25:05 pm »
Hopefully City get either Atletico/Juventus or Barca, hell even United would be a tough one considering the nature of the game