Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1416011 times)

Offline PaulKS

• Legacy Fan
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #7480 on: March 5, 2019, 09:40:21 am »
It is funny how much people post the fixtures. If there's any of you that don't know city and our fixtures inside and out by now, give up - this isn't for you. Total obsession only from here till May is the only recipe.

Tell me about it

Had a dream last night we drew against Burnley. Was fucking horrible

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7481 on: March 5, 2019, 09:42:23 am »
In attacking sense I think we do.
Not meaning tired....just lacking intensity and conviction in the final 3rd when we are attacking and things are not going our way. Going through the motions maybe and not really doing things with a purpose just more careful in the hopes that they are doing the right things. I have definitely seen that creep into 2nd half performances against Bayern, united and Everton.

It could just be pressure thats affecting them. We have gone on two decent training camps where you imaginw we worked on things such as patterns of play so all that should be hardwired into players now.

What we cannot account for is how a player reacts in the actual game. Its not fully on the players though as they were all good against Watford but then it all disappeared against Everton but the manager had an influence in that as well.

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #7482 on: March 5, 2019, 09:44:41 am »
They are definitely dropping points. That round of games after they play Cardiff or Fulham is pretty brutal and I dont believe that they will win all of them.

They will beat Watford though and I am sorry but expecting them to beat Fulham and Cardiff is not being negative, its being realistic.

The main thing is we keep touch with them and dont drop any more points. I know people still have this belief that Everton was difficult and we dont have any tough games anymore but Burnley and Spurs at home wont be easy. I believe we will win but Spurs will be infinitely tougher than Everton.

Newcastle was a gimme that went wrong for city
They developed a bit of fight in the belly to stave of relegation

Fulham cardiff ?... expect parked buses

We can argue these ponits until we are bluein the face

Fact is nothing is guaranteed no matter who you are
What does play a part though is the link between performance and where you are at mentally which effects performance...

success = the absence of the fear of failure

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7483 on: March 5, 2019, 09:50:13 am »

Newcastle was a gimme that went wrong for city
They developed a bit of fight in the belly to stave of relegation

Fulham cardiff ?... expect parked buses

We can argue these ponits until we are bluein the face

Fact is nothing is guaranteed no matter who you are
What does play a part though is the link between performance and where you are at mentally which effects performance...

Newcastle at their place wasnt a gimme. Its one of the 4 toughies we have left.

Watford could get something. They are physical and before they played us had a good away record so there is a chance there.

Fulham and Cardiff are crap though and i reckon City will get at least 8 goals over those two games.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2019, 10:09:11 am by a treeless whopper »

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #7484 on: March 5, 2019, 09:51:32 am »
It could just be pressure thats affecting them. We have gone on two decent training camps where you imaginw we worked on things such as patterns of play so all that should be hardwired into players now.

What we cannot account for is how a player reacts in the actual game. Its not fully on the players though as they were all good against Watford but then it all disappeared against Everton but the manager had an influence in that as well.

Could be pressure. I would hope not with the way Klopp is he seems to try and encourage us to embrace pressure.

When we're on it I have no doubts. Against Watford there was an early goal, then another and at the right intervals everyone was playing with confidence and they were expressing themselves. Great stuff.

Against Bayern and in those aways it was a bit more difficult, that's when you want a bit of impetus. Aggression or a bit of arrogance or whatever you wanna call it, during games like that it becomes less about their ability and more about their mentality and I just feel they have looked a bit powderpuff, not just one but all of them collectively and its doing my head in. I am sure its doing Klopp's head in when he thinks wtf are they doing at times, but his changes haven't been as helpful as he would like either.

These lads need to show why they are feared across Europe in times like these but let situations get on top of them a bit too much sometimes and that's where there needs to be better problem solving in-game from the manager and the guys on the pitch themselves. They all know eachother well and how to get the best out of eachother
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline FLRed67

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7485 on: March 5, 2019, 09:58:29 am »
The “bottling” narrative is bull. Neither the players, nor the supporters are bottling.

The Man U draw was due to an overly cautious approach and inability on the part of the manager to react and make changes to the game plan once it was underway. The Everton draw was due to poor finishing.

I think we can stay in the title race to the end, given the teams we have left to play, and given City’s grueling schedule.

But the CL is a better bet for a trophy this season. We don’t need to win any games to win that; we can literally draw our way to the final, and then win on penalties. Our defence is our strength, thanks to Van Dijk, and what is immediately in front and behind him (the two Brazilians).

Hopefully we bring in a top class striker soon. Someone good enough to walk into the starting line-up next season. The whole “but he won’t want to sit on the bench behind our ‘front three’” argument has gone out of the window, for me.

There’s a big name on our team sheet who should be dropped right now due to his form and selfish decision-making. But he won’t, because of the hype that has been built up around him and the lack of good alternatives. 

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7486 on: March 5, 2019, 10:01:39 am »
I believe we will win but Spurs will be infinitely tougher than Everton.

That must be hard for you to say, considering your hatred of Spurs  ;)

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #7487 on: March 5, 2019, 10:01:41 am »
Based on the assumption of how great city are supposed to be newcastle was a gimme for them and it went wrong...sack pep?...ridiculous
A draw away at everton and knives come out for klopp...ridiculous

If were going to win anything the fan base and the players have got to be positive and believe we can win them all...theres no room for negativity ...if thats what you really want
success = the absence of the fear of failure

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7488 on: March 5, 2019, 10:05:53 am »
Newcastle at their place wasnt a gimme. Its one of the 4 toughies we have left.

Watford could get something. They are physical and before they played us had a good away record and are physical so there is a chance there.

Fulham and Cardiff are crap though and i reckon City will get at least 8 goals over those two games.

I honestly think Watford might take points off them. If they don't, there are plenty of games in which they could surprisingly and unsurprisingly drop points.

I think both teams will drop points but I actually think that by the last game of the season we'll be top of the league.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #7489 on: March 5, 2019, 10:31:58 am »
Some really good posts in here. Alan X in particular.

My over riding thought when reading a lot of these posts is that a lot of fans lack experience of what a title race is. People are equating the normal waxing and waning of form that eery team has during a season with a lack of 'bottle' or desire to win.

It would be wrong if the players and fans weren't feeling some nerves during the run in. However, the almost manic excitement or depression that is greeted with every win or dropped points suggest to me that some people are putting way to much emphasis on the result of every game.

I desperately want us to win the title. Been going the games for years without seeing us win a title. There's 9 games to go and we could very much end up in a title win. If it doesn't, we need to dust ourselves down and go again. To get 70 points from 29 games in this league is a tremendous effort so far. And one that many of our fans are losing sight of during this period of dropped points.
Another one!
Well said, Jookie!
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #7490 on: March 5, 2019, 10:33:11 am »
I honestly think Watford might take points off them. If they don't, there are plenty of games in which they could surprisingly and unsurprisingly drop points.

I think both teams will drop points but I actually think that by the last game of the season we'll be top of the league.
By a point..

The added bonus is that it would drive Everton and United absolutely mad after those draws! ;D
At this moment, I'm of the opinion that neither of them derailed our season- instead they each gave us a point. Ta!
« Last Edit: March 5, 2019, 10:36:41 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline lukeb1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7491 on: March 5, 2019, 10:46:20 am »
At the start of the season everyone agreed go into the last six and be within 3 points of them and we have a chance.We are on course for that so dont know what the hysteria is all about , if your effected that much by clowns on social media or hacks trying to sell papers then stay off it or dont read them.I really think we are a season ahead of our development ,i would say when the management team set down with objectives and goals for 5 years at the start then next season would be the year we challenge for the title and you can see that we are just short this season player wise, still one to fully bed in and another 1-2 up grades. Perspective is needed- just to be able to go toe to toe with a team that deserves a massive points deduction and fucked out of the champions league for financially doping is a massive achievement .Their manager never had to work hard for anything he walked into teams that gave him an open cheque book to buy the best and when you have that you should be walking all competitions you enter .He was a cheat as a player and now he part of a pack of frauds. Mental that anyone that loves football would want them to win anything but most fans are gobshites that let the media rule them.
Klopp has made us extremely hard to beat , we just need to get behind the team for this last stretch , this will go down to the last game of the season.We have not "bottled" anything ,we are right in this.

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7492 on: March 5, 2019, 10:49:10 am »
We need a really good run now like we did in December.

8 wins in a row with 7 in the league. Our defence seems to have found it's form again, we need the midfield and forwards to step up and be clinical.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7493 on: March 5, 2019, 11:24:09 am »
Its so close for the title this season, really hard to call, I feel whoever drops points next loses it. Itll give enough momentum to the other team with games running out to go ahead and claim it.

Online sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7495 on: March 5, 2019, 11:35:31 am »
Its so close for the title this season, really hard to call, I feel whoever drops points next loses it. Itll give enough momentum to the other team with games running out to go ahead and claim it.

Agree with that, bit nerve wracking as we have some tough ones in the next 5 and end with the easier games whereas they have easy ones now and end with some harder ones so if we can hang in there for a bit we have a great shot at sneaking it near the end.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #7496 on: March 5, 2019, 11:36:16 am »
I think the anxiety of the fan base will be the thing that kills the challenge, if anything does.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7497 on: March 5, 2019, 11:37:48 am »
I think the anxiety of the fan base will be the thing that kills the challenge, if anything does.

Doubt it. It will be won or lost on the field.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7498 on: March 5, 2019, 11:41:42 am »

How? Like this isn't the first time I've read this, but what are we as a collective going to do that affects the players so dramatically that they collapse in the face of the challenge?

The most recent point of reference we have for this is the challenge of 2014. Personally, I don't see what liverpool fans did collectively wrong that time out to damage us. Did you? Did anyone? The atmosphere for that chelsea game in 2014 was fucking faultless really, when Gerrard slipped and it all went to shit we all sung his name. As torres threatened to round mignolet and score we broke into YNWA.

We all want this LOADS of course we do. But getting behind the team, bus welcomes, backing the lads when you see them in town or whatever it's just part of it. Quite apart from 'killing the challenge' I think we can help get them over the line. I'll be there Sunday, and I don't think anything I'll be doing during that 90 minutes will be hindering our race for the title.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Booze And Glory

• Main Stander
« Reply #7499 on: March 5, 2019, 11:48:56 am »
Not sure what all the panic is about, nothing has changed. The team know what they need to do and I have no doubt that they will do there best to win all 9 games. City will try to do the same, I still think we will win the title, but nothing is ever easy and nor should it be. Just keep supporting and having fun watching us seriously challenge for a title.

Except we're not now in control of our own destiny, we're relying on City slipping up whereas before we knew if we kept on winning we'd be champions. I know which
position I'd rather be in...

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7500 on: March 5, 2019, 11:55:48 am »
Our support gets a massively unfair ride through all this, it's mostly been great, but it just seems the done thing to throw around that our support is bottling it or will cost us or whatever. Obviously we are going to be more anxious than City fans are or Chelsea fans would be in this situation, that's the unfortunate reality when you haven't won a league for a zillion years, heck we don't even win any trophy anymore let alone leagues! I think our support has been great really, even Bournemouth players commented how mad it was for a 3pm Saturday.

"Teammate Steve Cook echoed those thoughts.

“You could see that the crowd were going to play a major part in the game,” he said. “I haven’t quite heard an atmosphere like it today, especially when they scored.

“The atmosphere here today was really good. The Liverpool fans got behind their team. I’m sure they’re going to play a huge part from now until the end of the season."

It's a shit, unfair criticism.

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7501 on: March 5, 2019, 12:06:01 pm »
We don't need to look too far ahead right now. A couple of games at most. Win those league games and the pressure is back on man city.

Man city will slip up. Unless they really are doing a Lance Armstrong on it, there's no way they're going to finish on 98 points and do the quadruple with those players.

Win our next two league games, which is very much doable, and we'll take it from there.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #7502 on: March 5, 2019, 12:07:04 pm »
There's obvious fatalist opinions that should just be ignored. But even those are simply reactions out of frustration

We're in a title race and if we said everything with respect to perspective we'd not say anything negative at all, because there would not be a reason to:
"would have taken this position back in August"
"the points we have accumulated are amazing, its just unlucky we are against a financially doped City team"

etc
Every bit of it is true. Every single bit, because we have done amazing this season on the whole.

But we are in a title race, however we've ended up here and with 9 games to go there's a lot of shit that is getting thrown around. People can ignore until matchdays and see what happens (what im trying and failing to do) or get caught up in it all and try dictate how others should all be reacting.

As long as the fans "support" in the ground thats all that we can do to help the players. Anything else will just be whatever really to pass the time. The waiting is horrific! I just want to see us play constantly and see the end of this season ;D

Its like wanting to do a Netflix binge without being able to binge
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7503 on: March 5, 2019, 12:34:47 pm »
Our support gets a massively unfair ride through all this, it's mostly been great, but it just seems the done thing to throw around that our support is bottling it or will cost us or whatever. Obviously we are going to be more anxious than City fans are or Chelsea fans would be in this situation, that's the unfortunate reality when you haven't won a league for a zillion years, heck we don't even win any trophy anymore let alone leagues! I think our support has been great really, even Bournemouth players commented how mad it was for a 3pm Saturday.

"Teammate Steve Cook echoed those thoughts.

“You could see that the crowd were going to play a major part in the game,” he said. “I haven’t quite heard an atmosphere like it today, especially when they scored.

“The atmosphere here today was really good. The Liverpool fans got behind their team. I’m sure they’re going to play a huge part from now until the end of the season."

It's a shit, unfair criticism.

You're right, it's mostly been brilliant from those who are going the game. A lot of online whoppers making an embarrassment of themselves though.

Online LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #7504 on: March 5, 2019, 12:53:48 pm »
Jurgen and the boys will brings us glory, felt like turd after the game against the bitters but I refuse to lose hope. Lets do this, all of us together!

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7505 on: March 5, 2019, 01:02:35 pm »

This nonsense about the fans bottling it has been so overblown. The players and the manager decide who wins the title, not the fans.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline actwithoutwords

• postswithoutreading
  • Kopite
« Reply #7506 on: March 5, 2019, 01:02:45 pm »
If City win their remaining 9 games I will fully eat my eat. That would be a 14 game winning run, while competing in three other competitions as well.
The question is whether we can regain our decisiveness. Until the Leicester game, it always felt like we would find a way to win a game. Us getting a goal, even just one in a scrappy performance, felt inevitable. That has well and truly gone now. We just need to find a way to get back into that headspace. I think we desperately need a galvanising moment like Divvy at the start of December. We haven't dug deep and found a win since that Palace game.

I think one of the reasons heads are falling off at the moment is that we haven't had a positive twist in the title race since City's loss at Newcastle. Every material change that has happened since then has been City winning and us dropping points. If City drop points soon I think everyone would relax a bit and accept there will be twists and turns. It's just that there's only been one result that has improved our position to City since the Arsenal game before New Year. Been too many twists, and not enough turns. My gut is not positive, but my head tells me this is far from the end of the story.

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7507 on: March 5, 2019, 01:14:53 pm »
No way, the crowd have been brilliant. They're doing all they can, very unfair to blame them if this doesn't work out. If it doesn't, it'll be down simply to whatever happens on the pitch.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7508 on: March 5, 2019, 01:16:32 pm »
I think Anfield will be buzzing Sunday even though it's at a stupid hour early

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #7509 on: March 5, 2019, 01:18:56 pm »
Yeah I have to agree with others who've said that it's the players and manager that will decide the title, not the fans.

I've read and spoken to loads of people that suggest that the players cant perform if they hear moaning or groaning in the crowd. They need cheering no matter what because it can dent their confidence if they hear someone unhappy with a misplaced pass or shot. It's nonsense really.

As a support, we're probably one of the most dedicated and loudest when it comes to the important games. There can be no blame whatsoever aimed at the fans. Yes there are nervous people in the crowd who have seen it all before but that's only natural. For every moan, there'll be an instant cry of 'come on!' to try and rally the lads to get the best result.

Ultimately it's up to the manager to get the best out of the players and for the players to implement the ideas of the manager and deliver. Missed changes, wasted opportunities, misplaced passes and lack of ideas are not the fans fault at the ground. If the players are good enough to win the league, we'll win it, if they're not, we wont.
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #7510 on: March 5, 2019, 01:22:54 pm »
City a point behind and it’s still very postive they will catch us , we go a point behind and plenty think it’s over for us , even looking At City could have easily dropped 4 points in the last 2 games.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #7511 on: March 5, 2019, 01:26:45 pm »
I'm in wait and see mode. Backing our lads to do it, City are mercenaries and we will get stronger each year.

But as a fan we need to be loud and proud!

Offline anoopvk

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #7512 on: March 5, 2019, 01:30:30 pm »
City a point behind and it’s still very postive they will catch us , we go a point behind and plenty think it’s over for us , even looking At City could have easily dropped 4 points in the last 2 games.
Mainly it is because of our recent history.
"We must turn from doubters to believers"

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #7513 on: March 5, 2019, 01:44:08 pm »

I think that's down to form. City is in far better form than we are. They've won 5 of the last 6 in the league and you can also throw in wins in domestic and European competition. We, on the other hand, have drawn 4 of the last 6 and have also drawn in European as well.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7514 on: March 5, 2019, 01:44:36 pm »
Mainly it is because of our recent history.

But imo there looking more vulnerable this season and we should be taking positives from that

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7515 on: March 5, 2019, 01:45:27 pm »
I think that's down to form. City is in far better form than we are. They've won 5 of the last 6 in the league and you can also throw in wins in domestic and European competition. We, on the other hand, have drawn 4 of the last 6 and have also drawn in European as well.

Last 2 games they could easily dropped 4 points imo

Offline sirKennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7516 on: March 5, 2019, 01:51:07 pm »
Think we won eight and drew one of our last nine in 2009, do the same again we win the title this time.

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7517 on: March 5, 2019, 02:41:28 pm »
Think we won eight and drew one of our last nine in 2009, do the same again we win the title this time.

How? We're already 1pt behind so you're saying City are nailed on to drop points?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7518 on: March 5, 2019, 02:42:51 pm »
How? We're already 1pt behind so you're saying City are nailed on to drop points?

Its a prediction. Obviously if they win all their games then they are champions, and deservedly so.

Offline sirKennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7519 on: March 5, 2019, 02:47:42 pm »

Well if they dont drop points fair dinkum to City.