Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12309261 times)

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve Lads like?
« Reply #84440 on: September 18, 2015, 03:50:44 pm »
Yup all very one paced which is a concern.
Not really as I doubt we'll see more than one of them play at a time that often.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #84441 on: September 18, 2015, 03:52:27 pm »
Not really as I doubt we'll see more than one of them play at a time that often.

The others are hardly speed merchants mate.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84442 on: September 18, 2015, 03:59:20 pm »
The others are hardly speed merchants mate.
Henderson, Milner and Can are hardly slow for midfielders. I mean Are Matic, Fabregas and Mikel fast? Schweinsteiger, Carrick and Schneiderlin? Even City's aren't all that much fast over a the first 10 yards or so. Like what are we expecting in terms of pace from midfielders?

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84443 on: September 18, 2015, 03:59:40 pm »
Rossiter's complete lack of pace is a worry though. But he has the other atributes needed.

Such a shame that his legs aren't that little bit longer

He did pretty well against Bordeaux. Just about how much he can adapt to the pace as his reading of the game is obviously great. Him and Pedro were disadvantaged by having eachother as partners - they obviously both would have benefited from having a senior players in there, but both showcased themselves pretty well. Just played their normal game.

I don't see how leivapool can think Pedro is better though. I don't think he's made much of an impression in U21s, whereas Rossiter was almost instantly impressive when he got promoted. Pedro's obviously talented like but I don't think I'm alone in thinking he hasn't particularly shown himself as a top prospect yet.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84444 on: September 18, 2015, 04:01:07 pm »
Henderson, Milner and Can are hardly slow for midfielders. I mean Are Matic, Fabregas and Mikel fast? Schweinsteiger, Carrick and Schneiderlin? Even City's aren't all that much fast over a the first 10 yards or so.

Maybe not in a straight race but having to turn or even controlling the ball and moving then yes they are slow.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84445 on: September 18, 2015, 04:03:49 pm »
Maybe not in a straight race but having to turn or even controlling the ball and moving then yes they are slow.
Well that's a completely different thing to worrying about pace then and I'm really not worried about how quick Rossiter is able to control or turn on the ball.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84446 on: September 18, 2015, 04:06:36 pm »
Well that's a completely different thing to worrying about pace then and I'm really not worried about how quick Rossiter is able to control or turn on the ball.

I meant the 3 incumbents you mentioned. As for Rossiter he is probably slower than those 3 in a straight dash.

Anyway its semantics as he is young and will improve that side of his game.

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Moaning bed wetter, cry wanks for Torres
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84447 on: September 18, 2015, 04:31:53 pm »
Such a shame that his legs aren't that little bit longer

They seen long enough. One thing I've never got is people referring to his height like he is absolutely tiny (not so much on here), but he always seemed pretty average height wise to me. Maybe it's like MrBoywunder mentioned, the way he has his shirt tucked in makes him look smaller. He looked like he was a couple of inches taller than Lallana when celebrating next to him last night and he himself has a few inches on Coutinho.
"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84448 on: September 18, 2015, 04:45:50 pm »
They seen long enough. One thing I've never got is people referring to his height like he is absolutely tiny (not so much on here), but he always seemed pretty average height wise to me. Maybe it's like MrBoywunder mentioned, the way he has his shirt tucked in makes him look smaller. He looked like he was a couple of inches taller than Lallana when celebrating next to him last night and he himself has a few inches on Coutinho.

He's not tiny, it's just a shame he hasn't been blessed in the physical department. There are many great players, the type of players that Rossiter probably looks up to, that are similar in this regard, so it's not too big a problem. It's just a shame that sometimes his body is a fraction late to make a challenge that his mind's already made.

Offline Kali Yuga

• Anny Roader
« Reply #84449 on: September 18, 2015, 04:45:57 pm »
Rossiter has always looked like a weirdly hunched child. He still does. Doesn't hold him back though.
You can cage an animal, but you'll never take away the rage.

Offline Vortigen

• Anny Roader
« Reply #84450 on: September 18, 2015, 04:49:32 pm »
Rossiter has always looked like a weirdly hunched child. He still does. Doesn't hold him back though.
If Rossiter is hunched, what the hell is Ings? 

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84451 on: September 18, 2015, 04:51:32 pm »
If Rossiter is hunched, what the hell is Ings? 

The oldest looking 23 year old in football.
"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.

Offline stevelecool

• Main Stander
« Reply #84452 on: September 18, 2015, 04:54:08 pm »
Rossiter looks about as big as Roy Keane who wasn't rapid either, especially after doing his knee in. Not saying he's as good or anything but that's who he reminds me of. Don't think he'll have too many problems once he adjusts to playing against senior players because he's a really intelligent footballer.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 04:57:40 pm by stevelecool »

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84453 on: September 18, 2015, 05:04:09 pm »
Just about the only positive from last night was the performance of the young lads, particularly Rossiter and Chirivella.

Particularly impressed with Chirivella.  I apologise if this comes off as football hipster-ish, but he reminds me of Julian Weigl, the new kid that Dortmund picked up this summer.  A very technical and consistent midfielder who seems to pick the right pass to open up the space every time.  Think Chirivella can become that kind of player for us, needs to work on his positional awareness a bit (which is normal for an 18 year old) but looks very promising.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84454 on: September 18, 2015, 05:07:42 pm »
Though Chirivella looked really slow just after he came on.  There was a Bordeaux player who was running diagonally into our box and Chirivella looked like he was running in treacle, trying to keep pace.  Great on the ball, but I worry that he'll need a bit more bite to his game like Rossiter if he's to make it in this league without any standout physical qualities.

For the type of player he is, and can become, a lack of pace really isn't as big of a deal as you're making it out to be. 

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #84455 on: September 18, 2015, 05:08:52 pm »

I don't see how leivapool can think Pedro is better though. I don't think he's made much of an impression in U21s, whereas Rossiter was almost instantly impressive when he got promoted. Pedro's obviously talented like but I don't think I'm alone in thinking he hasn't particularly shown himself as a top prospect yet.

Few people have agreed with me,  lankyguy,  korchevnik.  I guess what you see depends on what you are looking for.  For me  Pedro had the composure in the really tight spaces,  got himself out and released a really good ball,  has that something a little special particularly given how he was brought on mid game and hasn;t had anywhere near the first team exposure Rossiter has.  Rossitor plays everything very simply.  Neither one or the other is bad, but for me Pedro has the touch of class.  Both are slow though :)
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #84456 on: September 18, 2015, 05:09:37 pm »
Coady, also better than the ghost of Lucas Leiva.

But not better than the actual Lucas Leiva so it's all good.
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84457 on: September 18, 2015, 05:09:40 pm »

I think the Keane comparison with Rossiter is very apt, he relies on reading the game and playing the ball simply, I think he will develop better physically than people are giving him credit for though, young Pedro is quality

Online rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84458 on: September 18, 2015, 05:13:05 pm »
Pedro or Rossiter, for me it's great to see them both playing in the first team. We'll discuss on the boards who is better etc but I think we will all agree it's great to see the young lads get a game. One thing I will always credit Brendan for is the opportunity for the younger players.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #84459 on: September 18, 2015, 05:26:05 pm »
I think the Keane comparison with Rossiter is very apt, he relies on reading the game and playing the ball simply, I think he will develop better physically than people are giving him credit for though, young Pedro is quality

That does Rossiter's passing a massive disservice.

He's young so he's not really pulling out his full range yet but that pass that sets Ibe away for the penalty claim, that's Rossiter playing it over the top.

He'll do it off either foot as well.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84460 on: September 18, 2015, 05:29:36 pm »
Pedro and Rossiter are a little different and both good in their way.  Sometimes I think there is an over-glorification on speed (for all positions), and other times folk on here rate technical ability as just about the only thing that counts.  Being brilliant at one doesn't make a premiership player, you need more rounded ability.  Afterall, Suso's technique was second to none (at LFC anyway) but where is he now?  Pedro has technique in abundance, which will eg help hold the ball under pressure, but doesn't always help build a fast counter-attack, pick up loose second balls, etc.   (Not saying that's all he has but speed it not his strength).  Rossiter may have (debatable) less technique, but has some combined with footballing brain, passion, etc.  Passion and energy can get you a long way, witness Flanno who is neither the most tech gifted or the fastest, but he is  effective at what he does.     

Offline MrBoywunder

• Kopite
  • They say our days are numbered...
« Reply #84461 on: September 18, 2015, 05:33:18 pm »
I think both Rossiter and Chirivella have very good positioning and always find themselves in good positions, either to receive a pass or make an interception, so lack of pace isn't really that much of an issue.

The thing I noticed was that, Chirivella especially, got brushed aside once or twice when trying to make a tackle but didn't have the strength to fight for the ball. Over the next 2/3 years this should become easier for them as their body's/frames fill out.

Offline xerxes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84462 on: September 18, 2015, 05:43:51 pm »
I love the way Rossiter recycles the ball quickly. When play breaks down his ability to change the angle of attack quickly is really useful. I would love to see him get more aggressive, not in a cartoon Joey Barton way, but a kind of immovable Didi Hamann way.
Xerxes MBE

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #84463 on: September 18, 2015, 05:58:11 pm »
I was surprised too, what i really liked about him was the ability to turn with the ball.

Yeah, that stood out to me too. Seems to have very fluid hips. Don't think any of our first team midfielders excel at that ability, bar Allen.
Justice For The 96

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84464 on: September 18, 2015, 05:58:52 pm »
That does Rossiter's passing a massive disservice.

He's young so he's not really pulling out his full range yet but that pass that sets Ibe away for the penalty claim, that's Rossiter playing it over the top.

He'll do it off either foot as well.

Talking about passes to Ibe. I was reminded of this. Pass at 1:10. See it more in the future hopefully.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/L71xyapuwfU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/L71xyapuwfU</a>

Rafa.

Offline jdpapa3

• Kopite
« Reply #84465 on: September 18, 2015, 06:14:42 pm »

Really wish he hadn't done his ankle last season. Think he was in line for appearances in our dead rubber matches late in the year. Would've probably set the table to have played against West Ham and saved us the annoyance of losing with players in midfield that may or may not have been holographic projections.

Offline FanaticalRed

• Kopite
« Reply #84466 on: September 18, 2015, 08:53:54 pm »
Rossiter seemed to shoot up a few inches over the summer, it was noticeable as soon as he came back for pre season.

Great to see him and Pedro get their chance last night.

Offline DefJack

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84467 on: September 19, 2015, 12:18:19 am »
It is worth noting with Rossiter that he's not actually that slow, but he's still on the comeback trail from a serious ankle ligament injury.

He was out of action for 6 months and that was his first "competitive" start since February, he'll be quicker and more dynamic once he get's up to full fitness. He's never gonna be a speed merchant mind you.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #84468 on: September 19, 2015, 12:48:34 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OLdpff7tHFo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OLdpff7tHFo</a>

Very impressive performances from both Rossiter and Chirivella.

They'll no doubt improve and get stronger physically so it's very exciting to have them in our squad.

Only thing I'm not keen on is Rossiter playing with his shirt tucked in, makes him look smaller than he is haha.
Have to admit that I didn't think Chirivella stood out to me during the match and on reflection immediately after the game, but that video certainly showed plenty of poise and class, irrespective of his age.

Rossiter also looked very composed. I love how he can turn and play a pass with either foot equally well. His tenaciousness is also commendable, though he needs to stop fouling needlessly as much as he does.

I said it before the season started and I'll say it again now: in the long run I think it'll do us a world of good being in the EL this season rather than the CL. We'd have significantly less opportunities to blood the likes of Rossiter, Chrivella, Gomez (at CB), Brannagan, Origi, etc if we were in the CL instead, and this experience will be invaluable to the undeniably very talented group of youths we have breaking through right now.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84469 on: September 19, 2015, 02:42:42 am »
He did a good job.  Always available and asking for the ball and moved it along nicely.  Gave away a few poor passes but overall should be happy with his debut.  I know that Rossiter is at Melwood full time now but is Pedro as well?

Offline barnseysleftpeg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84470 on: September 19, 2015, 10:37:42 am »
Going to be watching the current U18s for the first time today, who are the ones to look out for?  I've heard a bit about Yan Dhanda who are the others showing potential?

Offline p27051

• Anny Roader
« Reply #84471 on: September 19, 2015, 10:41:15 am »
Any links for today's game??
Cheers,
Aravind (Indianscouser)

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84472 on: September 19, 2015, 11:05:23 am »
1-0 Everton, Kane og.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84473 on: September 19, 2015, 11:17:09 am »
Bad miss from Alves.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #84474 on: September 19, 2015, 11:27:01 am »
JFT 96

Offline ElPayaso

• Main Stander
« Reply #84475 on: September 19, 2015, 11:27:53 am »
Going to be watching the current U18s for the first time today, who are the ones to look out for?  I've heard a bit about Yan Dhanda who are the others showing potential?

When it comes to potential, from todays starting line-up I rate Masterson, all three midfielders (Phillips, Kane, Alexander-Arnold) and Ben Woodburn. Dhanda is injured unfortunately.

Offline kneeys

• We know the TRUTH,now give them JUSTICE.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Around long enough to know better...
« Reply #84476 on: September 19, 2015, 12:09:39 pm »
Any links for this mini derby?
The s*n so full of shit you could not even use it to wipe your arse

Offline ElPayaso

• Main Stander
« Reply #84477 on: September 19, 2015, 12:26:55 pm »
I haven't seen Liam Griffin for ages, is he still at the club?

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84478 on: September 19, 2015, 12:50:27 pm »
Phillips equalises in extra time. Lovely  :)

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84479 on: September 19, 2015, 12:51:03 pm »
Whilst down to 10 men as well. Everton punished for just sitting deep, draw's a fair result.