Author Topic: Lost Cup Finals (which one hurt you most?)  (Read 44003 times)

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
Lost Cup Finals (which one hurt you most?)
« on: March 9, 2016, 11:39:10 pm »
In our glorious history we've won countless major cup finals, but...you 'can't win them all' as they say, and we have lost a few along the way.

Which Final loss hurt you most, and for what reasons, could be reasons not just footy related, as in for sentimental or family reasons etc, as was one of mine a few years ago.

I took my young daughter to Cardiff for the League Cup Final against Chelsea, would have been fantastic to win that, especially since we took an early lead. My little girl soon grew tired of footy as she got older, so that'll be the only Final she ever goes to no doubt,would have been great to look back and say I took her to see Liverpool win the Cup when she was a little girl..but it wasn't to be!

Losing big matches seems worse when you're a kid yourself , I was 13 when Arsenal best us in the 71 FA Cup a Final. I was heartbroken when Charlie George got that winner that screamed past Clemence.

I was thinking just get the fuck up and get on with the game as he lay on the ground for what seemed an eternity while his team mates engulfed him in celebration. However,when I saw a clearly exhausted Alec Linsay, socks rolled down, cutting such a dejected figure I knew there was no way back, we where dead on our feet after that goal.

But the Final we lost that hurts me most took place on May 5th 1966, the European Cup Winners  Cup Final. That Cup will always remain the one major trophy we never won, and if we did we would have been one of only a handful of clubs that won all 3 major European Trophies.

I remember the night of that Final vividly, I lived in the Lee Park area of Liverpool at the time, I was 8 years old at the time. The match was on live on telly, very rare in those days to show an mid week evening game live, had to be an International or a European game featuring an English team.

So that night was our turn, live from Hampen Park, the team I'd loved since I saw them win the FA Cup against Leeds the previous season against this strange sounding team, I had no idea who they where or where they even came from!

I always remember how vast and open Hampen Park looked, and no where near full.I think the capacity was reduced to 41,000 for the match. Although we far out numbered the Germans, they had strong local support, after all we did beat Celtic on the way to the Final!

It was a B/W telly we had of course, so Liverpool where in their in the familiar all 'grey' kit, Borrusia Dortmund in some sort of light shirt dark short combo. Just after the hour mark Dortmond took after Siegfried scored a long range screamer, poor old Tommy Lawrence, not the most agile of tallest of keepers got nowhere near it.

But just 6 minutes Sir Roger equalised with a controversial goal, sweetly taken after a brilliant run and cross from Peter Thompson, but the linesman flagged for the ball going out before Thommo crossed it, howver the Ref gave the goal. Haha que pitch invasion by the travelling reds, some waving banners, mobbing the players while they where at it!

The game went to Extra Time and after 109 minutes  Dortmund got a fluke winner, Lawrence ran out to superbly block and save a quick one on one break, the ball went 40 yards up field and with Tommy still out of his goal it was hit goal bound by Reinhard Libuda his effort hit the bar and cannoned of Ron Yates into the net.

I was absolutely gutted, we lost the game 2-1 to a team I'd never even heard of, I thought we where unbeatable after that Leeds Final, never crossed my mind we'd lose and wouldn't be running around the pitch with a trophy at the end of the game.

Bill Shankly clearly upset that we dominated but lost the game said afterwards 'We where beaten by a team of frightened men'

That night in May, always sticks in my mind and to this day remains the most disappointed I've ever been after losing a Cup Final.

http://youtu.be/uGMX7krLVHc

(Check out that pitch invasion!)

Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Online Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Lost Cup Finals (which one hurt you most?)
« Reply #1 on: March 9, 2016, 11:57:01 pm »
Utd in 96 for me followed by Juventus in 85 and Milan in 97.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 9, 2016, 11:58:02 pm »
07 to Milan for me.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #3 on: March 9, 2016, 11:58:39 pm »
Brilliant. Great (and sad) memories.

Mine is the FA Cup vs united in 1977. I loved Jimmy Case and when he equalised I thought we had 'em. It was not meant to be - the jammy bastards.

Of course, a few days later we won old big ears so the depths of despair didn't last too long... :-)

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 12:00:31 am »
07 to Milan for me.
2007 was a painful one as we were definitely better than them but I put it down to karma for the joys of 2005. [emoji51]

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 12:01:19 am »
2007 especially being the best team on the night,Inzaghi's lucky goal after a deflected free kick right before the break when we had pretty much battered them that half.

Still pisses me off to this day.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 12:10:56 am »
The cup final against United in 1996 is the first football match I can remember watching. Cantona's shot and the flailing legs of our defence...not the greatest of introductions.

We were better than Milan in Athens but that defeat was made a little easier thanks to what happened two years before. Everything aligned for us in Istanbul, so to an extent I can accept missing out in 2007 even if we were the better team. This is still probably the most painful though.

For some reason I knew we'd lose to Chelsea in 2012. That side of theirs was far from vintage, but clearly knew something about knockout tournaments.

City a couple of weeks ago was pretty bad. I just feel like the club needed that boost after everything that's happened since the 2014 title race. Speaking of which, for me the Chelsea defeat and Palace collapse was far, far harder to take than any cup final defeat.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 12:13:49 am »
Brilliant. Great (and sad) memories.

Mine is the FA Cup vs united in 1977. I loved Jimmy Case and when he equalised I thought we had 'em. It was not meant to be - the jammy bastards.

I was at that one, loved Case too, cracker player and a great goal he scored that day. The mancs being the mancs fluked a win that day.

I got to totally pissed in London that night, lost touch with all my mates and woke up in a smelly fruit cart on a market stall!

Not even sure what happened after that!

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 12:14:14 am »
I made peace with 2007 pretty early on. Us and Milan will always be linked with Istanbul where their fans must be wondering how on earth they lost. In 2007 there was no gulf in class and we were the better team but as we know, that doesn't guarantee success. At the time it felt there would be more finals to come, maybe even a trilogy completing final with Milan, winner takes all. Sadly that was to be as good as it got for both of us.

The 96 Cup Final really hurt. After all the hype the game was dire, and United were as poor as us but most people forget that now, it's the result that's all important.

Wimbledon in 88 is another obvious one. We could and should have won the Double three years in a row from 88-90.

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 12:20:41 am »
Wimbledon in 88 is another obvious one. We could and should have won the Double three years in a row from 88-90.

Strange that Wimbledon one, for some reason I saw it coming, the missed pen just summed that shitty day up.

Offline Garry_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 12:28:24 am »
I was only 5 when we lost the 96 final to United but I remember the day clearly and I was devastated when we lost.

The 07 final is the worst for me though. Obviously a lot older then and understood things more. Absolutely the better team on the night which made it harder.

I think it's easier to accept losing a final if you know you were second best on the day. Probably why I got over losing to City the other week reasonably quickly.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 12:32:35 am »
Bit of a weird one for me, League Cup 87 vs Arsenal.  Not sure why, we were never going to beat Juventus in 85.  We played shit against Wimbledon in 88.  We wasn't a great team in any of the finals we lost after that one and I'm too young to remember the ones we lost before 87.

In 87 I was a little kid, going regularly to watch the greatest team in Europe.  Rush was my idol, he scored so we couldn't lose and then we did.  Literally in tears.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 12:35:22 am »
Strange that Wimbledon one, for some reason I saw it coming, the missed pen just summed that shitty day up.

It was boss though when our players all dejected sat down, Wimbledon lifted the Cup but all you could hear was "Champions, Champions". 

Don't reckon we'll get anything like that again.

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 12:39:22 am »
Yes I remember the FA Cup final in 1971 and that hurt. We scored first and played well and it then just slipped away. What hurt even more was seeing Charlie George's celebration every blinking Saturday nigh on MOTD.......sickening.

Although it wasn't a cup final I also hated the game against Arsenal on 26 May 1989 at Anfield. We had just won the FA Cup and were ahead of Arsenal and just needed a draw or to lose by one goal and we were champions. There was no way in my mind that we wouldn't win as we were so good. We were unbeaten in the league since 1 January and had not lost at Anfield by two or more goals in three years, and Arsenal had not won there in fifteen years (yes 15 YEARS!). We were overwhelming favourites and we just needed to turn up to win. However somehow Arsenal scored 2 and I was sick for a whole year.....I've never felt so much shock after a football match.......never.

So that was my worst match ever but you asked about a Cup Final.

The second worst match that was a Cup Final was the 2007 European Cup final. We have won the final two years previously after being 3-0 down at half-time (which is the best come-back ever). We dominated the 2007 final and somehow we went 2-0 down. We seemed to believe that we would win and we just oozed confidence. We only started to play well after we went 2-0 down. For some reason that hurt as we really should have won and were the better team (bar scoring). After beating Milan in 2005 against all the odds I just couldn't understand how we couldn't beat them. I was gutted as it just seemed like the wrong team won but I guess that's how Milan felt in 2005.
So in order........

26 May 1989 against Arsenal (not a Cup Final but it still hurts).
FA Cup final in 1971 - hate that final and hate Charlie George (well I don't really but I still hate him)
2007 European Cup final against Milan.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 12:44:30 am by stockdam »
#JFT97

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 12:52:25 am »
Doubt this one will figure much on here but for me it was the 2005 League Cup final against Chelsea. I'd started supporting the club around the 99/00 season as a 6/7 year old lad. Up until that point I had never known Liverpool to lose a Cup final (unless you count the Charity Shield in 2002 but even then I understood that that wasn't a 'real' cup final). I remember bragging to my mates about the 'Rafaloution' and how we were going to sweep all before us.

With regards to the game itself I think what hurt the most was that we'd been leading for almost the entire match after Riise's stunner in the first minute. As a young red Steven Gerrard was my hero (hell, he still is ;)) and for it to be his mistake that cost us the lead and took the match to extra time was crushing. I was utterly despondent after the game and wouldn't so much as talk about football until the Leverkusen match in the Champions League came round.

In hindsight of course the cup final defeat may have even done us a favour as it probably made us even hungrier for the CL semi where we got our revenge en-route to the most memorable victory in the lives of most Liverpool fans. Liverpool were Kings of Europe and the pain of a few months earlier was more than made up for. But I'll never forget how gutted I was to see the mighty reds lose a final for the first time.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 12:59:38 am »
Bit of a weird one for me, League Cup 87 vs Arsenal.  Not sure why, we were never going to beat Juventus in 85.  We played shit against Wimbledon in 88.  We wasn't a great team in any of the finals we lost after that one and I'm too young to remember the ones we lost before 87.

In 87 I was a little kid, going regularly to watch the greatest team in Europe.  Rush was my idol, he scored so we couldn't lose and then we did.  Literally in tears.

Good shout that. I remember the whole never losing when Rush scored being mentioned before the game so when he put us ahead I remember me and my mate jumping around like loons thinking it was all over. Did Charlie Nicholas come off the bench or was it Perry Groves who was the sub, either way I remember the game being turned on its head by two goals from the mulleted twat and I was left trying to make sense of something that seemed impossible.

We had a great kit that day too, white with red trim and black shorts.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 01:10:58 am »
I wonder what a difference the 07 final would have made to our recent history, had we won it.

The funny about that final of course, is that H&G had just bought the club a few months earlier. Over the next two transfer windows we probably invested as well as we have throughout the Rafa-Klopp eras. We got Torres, Lucas, Skrtel and Mascherano all over the course of that year. So I suppose the answer is winning the CL that year would have meant very little in terms of immediate investment.

Still a gutting loss though. Can't believe that was 9 years ago now. Even harder to believe that we've only been in the CL for 3 of the next 9 years.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 01:14:25 am by Redcap »

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 01:17:07 am »
88 against Wimbledon for me (because we blew the Double) and obviously 2007 against Milan was bad because we were the better team .

Although not a final , the FA Cup semi against Utd in 85 hurt a lot too (oh and Palace in 1990 !) , in tears for that !!  ;D
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 01:26:21 am »
Definitely FA Cup final in 1971 but more for Charlie George's celebration than the actual match itself!

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 02:04:01 am »
2007 in Athens was a killer. Two years had passed since Istanbul and we still had that Benitez solidity within the team but with a little bit more quality in some areas. Jermaine Pennant had a great game if I remember rightly and while I don't think we created a shed load of chances we were the better team on the day but just couldn't get that first goal. Even when Kuyt pulled it back to 2-1 I had this feeling that it was meant to be and all that shite and we'd quickly get another but it wasn't to be.

The final just gone against City hurt but I was over it pretty quickly because I've got so much faith in Klopp that we'll have many more finals with him. Hopefully we'll get to another this year in the Europa but if Klopp is here for say 5 years then I genuinely think we'll have a handful more trips to Wembley with him in that time.

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 02:30:01 am »

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 02:44:02 am »
The thing about 2007 I remember most was shortly after Kuyt scored, we won a free kick just outside the box.  I remember thinking, we're gona do it again here.  I can't even remember who took it or what happened, it went nowhere near the net though. 

I also remember Milan picking up the Cup and loads had waiting through Platini's pompous nonsense before we went up to get the runners up medals.  Almost everyone stayed and there was still quite a lot in the ground when Milan lifted the trophy.  I remember thinking to myself, UEFA can't fault our support at all tonight.  Then reading that nobhead saying we were the worst supporters in Europe the next day.  Prick.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 02:48:57 am by stephen075 »

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2016, 02:54:34 am »
Athens 07. Til this day, I can't bring myself to watch the match again. Not even the 'highlights'.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 02:56:59 am by LiverBirdKop »

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2016, 03:02:28 am »
The worst one for me was one we didn't lose, but lost the replay if that is allowed ?
In 1978 as an 11 year old we went as a family to that London to see the very mighty reds take on the force that was Nottingham Forest in the League Cup final. None . Of that Coca-Cola, carling, capital one, rumbelows, milk or  other bullshit subtitle in those days.  I can't remember the game at all , having seen countless cup finals over the years being of the right age and bred as red not blue. Needless to say it was a nil nil draw and after a night at the holiday inn Swiss cottage we came home.
So far so what?
We got home to find the front door ajar and the house was wrecked, all our belongings smashed to pieces, turds on the dining room floor, piss up all the walls, spew across the kitchen. My record player in bits at the bottom of the stairs, my sister's Girls World head (remember them?)abused on the floor and all our beds shat on and shredded. It took my mum two years to get over the sights and devastation we witnessed, us kids didn't even see the worst of it, we got shipped off to nans for the week.
The cops told us we had been spotted leaving by some youths at the bus stop over the road who had come back in the dark ,robbed our valuables and turned the place upside down.  Dirty bastards I still think about the state of our home and the shit game we watched while they fucked our house up.
The replay was no salvation either, although we never went to that .

Offline Garry_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 03:47:59 am »
Doubt this one will figure much on here but for me it was the 2005 League Cup final against Chelsea. I'd started supporting the club around the 99/00 season as a 6/7 year old lad. Up until that point I had never known Liverpool to lose a Cup final (unless you count the Charity Shield in 2002 but even then I understood that that wasn't a 'real' cup final). I remember bragging to my mates about the 'Rafaloution' and how we were going to sweep all before us.

With regards to the game itself I think what hurt the most was that we'd been leading for almost the entire match after Riise's stunner in the first minute. As a young red Steven Gerrard was my hero (hell, he still is ;)) and for it to be his mistake that cost us the lead and took the match to extra time was crushing. I was utterly despondent after the game and wouldn't so much as talk about football until the Leverkusen match in the Champions League came round.

In hindsight of course the cup final defeat may have even done us a favour as it probably made us even hungrier for the CL semi where we got our revenge en-route to the most memorable victory in the lives of most Liverpool fans. Liverpool were Kings of Europe and the pain of a few months earlier was more than made up for. But I'll never forget how gutted I was to see the mighty reds lose a final for the first time.

Yeah that was a bad one as well. I think I was more wound up than hurt by that final though. It probably was the birth of the Chelsea rivalry with Mourinho 'shushing' our fans. I despised him for that back then, wouldn't be arsed now.

Offline hulksagoodboy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2016, 04:01:42 am »
Athens for being the better team.

Hardest game was Chelsea two years ago though. Played 9 men on their 18 yard box and we fucked it up.

Knew right there and then that was the beginning of the end for the title run.

Offline invader_gir

• Anny Roader
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2016, 05:16:51 am »
CL 07 , i felt Milan got their revenge for 05. worst feeling ever for a lost final.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2016, 05:52:07 am »
Wimbledon 1988 & Man Utd 1996. Both horrible finals.

2007 hurt, but not as much for me as some on here. I think it's because we kind of robbed them 2 years earlier. Plus, Milan fans are sound.

The 2005 League Cup final and the 2012 FA Cup final defeats against Chelsea were far worse for me then 2007. For obvious reasons.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2016, 06:03:36 am »
The 88 cup final was the first time I had really felt proper defeat and it brought me to tears so will always see that as the worst, but the 07 CL final runs it close.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2016, 06:11:41 am »
The 88 cup final was the first time I had really felt proper defeat and it brought me to tears so will always see that as the worst,

I cried that day. I was only a young'n. It was horrible. I just couldn't get my head round the fact a side who I'd barely heard of could beat the mighty Liverpool. What made it worst was, I'd finally calmed down by time it was time for bed, went upstairs into my bedroom, pull my duvet back so I could get into my bed and there was a panini sticker of Bobby Gould(Wimbledons manager) on my pillow staring right at me. My brother had put it there. I turned round to see him standing at my bedroom door laughing his head off at me. Needless to say it kicked off big time. The little twat! :D

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2016, 06:19:25 am »
'88, '96 and '07 .....

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2016, 06:46:18 am »
Athens everytime, the revenge etc, massive hangover too and a radiator of the wall

2 European cup finals in 3 years was the stuff of fantasy but winning them both would have been out of this world.

2017 our name is on that cup  ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 06:48:30 am by Daniel Cabbaggio »
YNWA

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2016, 06:52:46 am »
Athens..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline wolves76

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2016, 06:55:34 am »
Id say 88 against Wimbledon and 96 against the Mancs because in neither game did we play to anything like the level we were capable of.   Against Wimbledon we had played brilliantly all season but came up short on the big day.   And although it did not ruin a great campaign it is a horrible memory that still lingers.  Against Man U both teams froze.   It is one of the worst matches I have ever seen.  That team was labelled the spice boys with the all white suits and had played United off the park earlier in the season when McMananman ran the show.  Come the final,  Ferguson got Keane to man mark him and it neutralised our attack but also rendered the match as a non spectacle as both teams played with so much fear.   When I hear the bollocks trotted out about Man Uniteds attacking philosophy under Ferguson I always think of that game.  I mean its a cup final....at least give it a go.

Offline McrRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2016, 07:07:17 am »
I was at that one, loved Case too, cracker player and a great goal he scored that day. The mancs being the mancs fluked a win that day.

I got to totally pissed in London that night, lost touch with all my mates and woke up in a smelly fruit cart on a market stall!

Not even sure what happened after that!
*splutter* [emoji16]

Offline McrRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2016, 07:09:36 am »
The worst one for me was one we didn't lose, but lost the replay if that is allowed ?
In 1978 as an 11 year old we went as a family to that London to see the very mighty reds take on the force that was Nottingham Forest in the League Cup final. None . Of that Coca-Cola, carling, capital one, rumbelows, milk or  other bullshit subtitle in those days.  I can't remember the game at all , having seen countless cup finals over the years being of the right age and bred as red not blue. Needless to say it was a nil nil draw and after a night at the holiday inn Swiss cottage we came home.
So far so what?
We got home to find the front door ajar and the house was wrecked, all our belongings smashed to pieces, turds on the dining room floor, piss up all the walls, spew across the kitchen. My record player in bits at the bottom of the stairs, my sister's Girls World head (remember them?)abused on the floor and all our beds shat on and shredded. It took my mum two years to get over the sights and devastation we witnessed, us kids didn't even see the worst of it, we got shipped off to nans for the week.
The cops told us we had been spotted leaving by some youths at the bus stop over the road who had come back in the dark ,robbed our valuables and turned the place upside down.  Dirty bastards I still think about the state of our home and the shit game we watched while they fucked our house up.
The replay was no salvation either, although we never went to that .
Jesus Christ I'd forgot stuff like that used to happen. Your poor ma...

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2016, 07:25:35 am »
Athens 07 is a weird one for me, I thought many more Finals where to come, and as we pinched it from under their noses 2 years earlier it didn't hit me too hard on the night.

In retrospect, that defeat hurt the club lots more than just the fans alone. As an earlier poster pointed out, that defeat was possibly a history changing one.

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2016, 07:28:28 am »
1977 against the Mancs I think - it was my birthday - as someone said above the European Cup Final a few days later helped ease the pain.

The Wimbledon 88 one hurt a lot too.

"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2016, 07:33:31 am »
AC Milan 2007

We should have beaten them. We were better than they were.

Also, the affects of 2 CL's in 3 years would have boosted us into the strata from where we came. Again.

Wimbledon 1988

My first real, sit down and watch this team whose jerseys you wear, Final.
Aldo in the Irish team too, and Beardsly scoring a perfectly good goal.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 07:35:14 am by the good half »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2016, 07:36:56 am »
1977 FA Cup final was really painful we had already won the league and would go on to win the European Cup shortly later, but I really wanted that Treble as I knew we would probably never be in that position again. Also when you are young, it always seems a lot more painful.

The 2007 final too was hard to take having outplayed Milan, but I guess we couldn't complain too much after Istanbul.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"