Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2795618 times)

Offline PaddingtonRed

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The NFL Thread
« Reply #71760 on: March 12, 2024, 09:10:22 am »
Bengals release veteran RB Joe Mixon, sign RB Zack Moss.

They also sign safety Geno Stone, Stone who led the Ravens in INTs last season joins Cincy on a two year deal.

However, Tee Higgins is reported to have requested a trade after being franchise tagged. Not many players have taken on the Brown/Blackburn family and won, the last player I recall who held out was Carson Palmer who was traded for two 1st rounders. Of course Tee won't generate that much capital but it'll take a big offer before Cincy even considers entering into talks.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #71761 on: March 12, 2024, 10:22:48 am »
Given his age and his recent injury that Cousins contract seems foolish.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #71762 on: March 12, 2024, 01:19:36 pm »
Anyone know anything about Xavier McKinney? Haven't seen much of him. Was hoping to land Simmons from Denver but hopefully this will still be an upgrade in the secondary.

I don’t watch the Giants much by I think McKinney is a player who is getting better year on year. Statistically, by PFF, he was one of the highest graded safeties in the NFL in 2023. Eagles were also after him this off season

Upgrade for the Packers but I’m a bit surprised by contract value. Puts him in Top 5 paid safeties in the league when considering average yearly value of contract. Lot of safeties available in free agency so I expected the market to be a little suppressed. This McKinney deal suggest it isn’t.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71763 on: March 12, 2024, 01:21:26 pm »
Given his age and his recent injury that Cousins contract seems foolish.

The Falcons will improve with Cousins at QB.

Just doesn’t make sense that they offer Cousins this contract this off season and 12 months ago they declared themselves uninterested in Lamar Jackson when he was potentially available

Offline Vote For Pedro

• "Kay-bye!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71764 on: March 12, 2024, 01:25:01 pm »
So Vikings going for Darnold short term and possibly a draft pick to develop?

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #71765 on: March 12, 2024, 02:04:45 pm »

Just doesn’t make sense that they offer Cousins this contract this off season and 12 months ago they declared themselves uninterested in Lamar Jackson when he was potentially available

Something very weird went on there. I'm not saying it was definitely collusion but I think it was probably collusion.

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #71766 on: March 12, 2024, 02:12:27 pm »

Not only would we have had to offer Lamar a Watson style contract, but it would have cost us 2-3 first round picks, as well. That would mean no Bijan this year. No edge rusher this year (hopefully) and probably not another pick next year.

Cousins contract is basically 2+1. 2 years/90 and flexibility to get out of it if he wants to retire/injuries/performance. Considering the state of NFL QB play these days, I think its a fair chance to take while the skilled players are still on their rookie deals.
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline Zaffarious

• likes 2 mins from the toilet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Militant Fan
« Reply #71767 on: March 12, 2024, 05:21:03 pm »
Derick Henry to the Ravens! damn! gonna be tough to deal with that offence ... unless they forget to run the ball for no reason again

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71768 on: March 12, 2024, 07:37:47 pm »
Not only would we have had to offer Lamar a Watson style contract, but it would have cost us 2-3 first round picks, as well. That would mean no Bijan this year. No edge rusher this year (hopefully) and probably not another pick next year.

Cousins contract is basically 2+1. 2 years/90 and flexibility to get out of it if he wants to retire/injuries/performance. Considering the state of NFL QB play these days, I think its a fair chance to take while the skilled players are still on their rookie deals.

I know you lose the draft picks but getting Lamar you get an elite QB who was 26 at the time. You get one of the best players in the league His contract ended up being $52M per year over 5 years. That's a better deal than Cousins for 45M a year. Even if you lose 2 x 1st round picks. Definitely wouldn't be worried about losing a RB personally. Unless Robinson is CMC or Derrick Henry level (and he might end up being that) than a 1st round pick is a waste on a RB in my opinion.

Jackson is a better QB than Cousins by a mile. He's not coming off an injury. He's 27 not 36. He'd give you elite performance and continuity at QB for more than 2 years (injury permitting). There's no way in my opinion that the Cousins deal can be argued to be better at this point.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #71769 on: March 12, 2024, 07:44:43 pm »
I don’t watch the Giants much by I think McKinney is a player who is getting better year on year. Statistically, by PFF, he was one of the highest graded safeties in the NFL in 2023. Eagles were also after him this off season

Upgrade for the Packers but I’m a bit surprised by contract value. Puts him in Top 5 paid safeties in the league when considering average yearly value of contract. Lot of safeties available in free agency so I expected the market to be a little suppressed. This McKinney deal suggest it isn’t.

Thank you. PFF are very contentious at the moment, JJ Watt definitely not a fan  ;D
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71770 on: March 12, 2024, 11:36:45 pm »
Aaron Rodgers needs to go away.  I'm sick of him.

Sick of this stupid franchise and their tomfoolery.  Maybe if you weren't morons at drafting QBs, you wouldn't need to pick up RFK Jr.'s running mate.  ::)
King Kenny.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71771 on: March 12, 2024, 11:44:15 pm »
Eagles sign CJ Gardner Johnson on a 3 year up to 33mil contract. Was a bad idea letting him go last year. Happy he's back.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71772 on: March 13, 2024, 11:10:16 am »
Eric Kendricks still any good?

I know he was a 1st team All-Pro a few years back at the Vikings but didn’t see him much at the Chargers last season.

Think the 49ers signing Kendricks may be a sign that Greenlaw’s Achilles injury might put him out of the start of next season.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #71773 on: March 13, 2024, 12:22:10 pm »
I know you lose the draft picks but getting Lamar you get an elite QB who was 26 at the time. You get one of the best players in the league His contract ended up being $52M per year over 5 years. That's a better deal than Cousins for 45M a year. Even if you lose 2 x 1st round picks. Definitely wouldn't be worried about losing a RB personally. Unless Robinson is CMC or Derrick Henry level (and he might end up being that) than a 1st round pick is a waste on a RB in my opinion.

Jackson is a better QB than Cousins by a mile. He's not coming off an injury. He's 27 not 36. He'd give you elite performance and continuity at QB for more than 2 years (injury permitting). There's no way in my opinion that the Cousins deal can be argued to be better at this point.

This is all fair and good but the Ravens were always going to sign him...so its just mental gymnastics. He was never coming to ATL. It wasn't a conspiracy. All owners knew this.
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71774 on: March 13, 2024, 02:13:20 pm »
This may be way off base but isn't Derrick Henry a bit over the hill now? I really like the Ravens so want them to do well and this seems like a weird move. 

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #71775 on: March 13, 2024, 02:34:43 pm »
This may be way off base but isn't Derrick Henry a bit over the hill now? I really like the Ravens so want them to do well and this seems like a weird move. 

Its pretty much a 1 year deal. Now go look at his stats from last year and the year before. Man is still a beast.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71776 on: March 13, 2024, 03:21:46 pm »
Its pretty much a 1 year deal. Now go look at his stats from last year and the year before. Man is still a beast.

Henry still looks like one of the best RBs about. Previously he was the best about. Age has probably made him come back more to the pack. His contract with the Ravens is commensurate with that. $16M over 2 years probably puts somewhere in the middle of the Top10 best paid RBs. That seems about right.

Challenge with most running backs is production as they get into late 20’s and early 30’s. A lot just fall off a cliff. Henry’s last 12 months seems a gentle decline from a very high position so he still looks like a good bet to deliver a +1000 yard rushing season in 2024.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #71777 on: March 13, 2024, 10:57:22 pm »
Aaron Rodgers needs to go away.  I'm sick of him.

Sick of this stupid franchise and their tomfoolery.  Maybe if you weren't morons at drafting QBs, you wouldn't need to pick up RFK Jr.'s running mate.  ::)
Fuck Aaron Rodgers now, fuck him forever

CNN
Independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. has confirmed that among his potential vice-presidential prospects is New York Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who in private conversations shared deranged conspiracy theories about the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting not being real.

CNN knows of two people with whom Rodgers has enthusiastically shared these stories, including with Pamela Brown, one of the journalists writing this piece.

Brown was covering the Kentucky Derby for CNN in 2013 when she was introduced to Rodgers, then with the Green Bay Packers, at a post-Derby party. Hearing that she was a journalist with CNN, Rodgers immediately began attacking the news media for covering up important stories. Rodgers brought up the tragic killing of 20 children and 6 adults by a gunman at Sandy Hook Elementary School, claiming it was actually a government inside job and the media was intentionally ignoring it.

When Brown questioned him on the evidence to show this very real shooting was staged, Rodgers began sharing various theories that have been disproven numerous times. Such conspiracy theories were also later at the center of lawsuits brought by victims’ families when they sued conspiracy theorist Alex Jones on the matter.

Brown recalls Rodgers asking her if she thought it was off that there were men in black in the woods by the school, falsely claiming those men were actually government operatives. Brown found the encounter disturbing.

Rodgers, through one of his agents, declined to comment to CNN.

CNN has spoken to another person with a similar story. This person, to whom CNN has granted anonymity so as to avoid harassment, recalled that several years ago, Rodgers claimed, “Sandy Hook never happened…All those children never existed. They were all actors.”

When asked about the grieving parents, the source recalled Rodgers saying, “They’re all making it up. They’re all actors.”

Rodgers went on to delve into some of the darker caverns of the false conspiracy theory. This person found the encounter disturbing.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71778 on: March 14, 2024, 12:04:21 am »
A deranged individual, makes me sick that I used to be a big fan.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71779 on: March 15, 2024, 12:12:36 am »
Eagles sign LB Devin White. No idea how good he is but we definitely needed something in this position.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71780 on: March 15, 2024, 06:54:22 am »
Bears get Keenan Allen for a 4th rounder.

Probably means they'll trade down from 9. Good situation for Caleb to come into.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #71781 on: March 15, 2024, 08:31:27 am »
that seems like a decent trade for a 4th.

justin herbert must be sitting there wondering who he's go to throw the ball to this year now. keeping bosa and mack while getting rid of williams and allen is definitely some kind of statement.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #71782 on: March 15, 2024, 09:21:03 am »
that seems like a decent trade for a 4th.

justin herbert must be sitting there wondering who he's go to throw the ball to this year now. keeping bosa and mack while getting rid of williams and allen is definitely some kind of statement.

Its a very strong WR class in the draft to be fair, and picking 5 (if they don't trade down) they have a chance to pick up one of the top 2, assuming QBs go 1,2,3

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71783 on: March 15, 2024, 11:39:23 am »

Probably means they'll trade down from 9. Good situation for Caleb to come into.

Chiefs get Hollywood Brown too.

Surely the Chargers are getting a WR at 5 now.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #71784 on: March 15, 2024, 11:41:59 am »
Its a very strong WR class in the draft to be fair, and picking 5 (if they don't trade down) they have a chance to pick up one of the top 2, assuming QBs go 1,2,3

if it really is that strong a WR class, would taking one at 5 not be a bit of a waste?

I've no idea where their other picks are or just how many of these good WR depth are admittedly.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71785 on: March 15, 2024, 11:49:44 am »
if it really is that strong a WR class, would taking one at 5 not be a bit of a waste?

I've no idea where their other picks are or just how many of these good WR depth are admittedly.

You could go either way, the top 3 are viewed as being pretty special but you could probably still get a first round talent in the second.

Picking 5 though its like WR or trade down, its where the strength at the top of the draft seems to be.

Teams seem to be trying to move up to grab a QB so there would likely be trade partners available
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 11:52:11 am by filopastry »

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71786 on: March 15, 2024, 02:27:20 pm »
Vikings trading with Houston to get another first rounder (23rd pick) they definitely look like they are trying to get in position to trade up for a QB.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #71787 on: March 15, 2024, 04:15:04 pm »
Rams DT Aaron Donald has announced his retirement.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #71788 on: March 15, 2024, 04:33:13 pm »
Rams DT Aaron Donald has announced his retirement.
One of the greatest to ever do it.  No defensive player wins a Super Bowl on his own. Apart from Aaron Donald.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71789 on: March 15, 2024, 04:48:04 pm »
Yeah he really was one of a kind

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #71790 on: March 15, 2024, 05:13:57 pm »
Just the 8 first team all pro selections in 10 seasons.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #71791 on: March 16, 2024, 12:05:27 am »
Kenny Pickett being traded to the Eagles
#Sausages

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #71792 on: March 16, 2024, 12:35:06 am »
took his ball and fucked off so it seems.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71793 on: March 16, 2024, 03:55:13 am »

They could definitely do with converting that 9th into some more picks, based on draft pick value, it'd equate to a mid 1st and 2nd (plus later picks as you go further down the round order) and allow them to add an early round edge rusher and another WR.

They are in a suprisingly good position though, they have made some good depth signings so far in free agency, so if nobody makes them a good offer they could stay put and have their pick of the edge rushers or one of the top 3 WR's could easily fall to that pick too if there's a run on QB picks.

Offline Rosario

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71794 on: March 16, 2024, 10:54:51 pm »
Justin Fields vs Russell Wilson QB battle in Pittsburgh wasn’t on my offseason bingo card.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71795 on: March 16, 2024, 10:57:05 pm »
Justin Fields vs Russell Wilson QB battle in Pittsburgh wasn’t on my offseason bingo card.

I don't think that'll be much of a competition. I'd give them a live chance in the playoffs with Fields.

Offline Stevo79

• Kopite
« Reply #71796 on: March 16, 2024, 11:35:48 pm »
Wilson and Fields isn’t a QB 1 and 2 I was expecting a month ago!

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #71797 on: March 16, 2024, 11:49:20 pm »
 Steelers give up a 2025 6th round pick, potential to rise to 4th round depending how many games Fields plays in, & Steelers go from a QB room of Pickett, Rudolph & Trubisky to Wilson & Fields in a week, & has cost the Steelers peanuts.
#Sausages

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #71798 on: March 16, 2024, 11:55:56 pm »

I'm good with the bears, and I'm good with the steelers. I paid to fly to another country to go and watch both.

but the steelers really need to stop getting bears reject QBs. is there really another team in the nfl that over the past 50 years or so have a worse record at that position than chicago? really?

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #71799 on: March 17, 2024, 12:23:14 am »
I like Fields, think he's talented but raw, & has not been helped that the Bears are a dysfunctional organisation, plus the Steelers have give up peanuts to sign him.
#Sausages