Author Topic: Liverpool vs Sheffield United (Premier League) - 19:30, Thursday 4th April  (Read 15650 times)

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
It doesn't matter a shiny shite what anyone says here. If someone predicts 10-0, that has no bearing on the players attitude towards the game. I think they're all professional enough to do their job as the coaches and manager want them to, not what some dickhead on RAWK says.
LOL did I say the players will read it on here?

And our players are human, if part of them doesn't see SU as a nailed-on 3 points I'd be amazed.  Klopp does sometimes  berate them for concentration lapses during games doesn't he.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
It doesn't matter a shiny shite what anyone says here. If someone predicts 10-0, that has no bearing on the players attitude towards the game. I think they're all professional enough to do their job as the coaches and manager want them to, not what some dickhead on RAWK says.
The expectations of the fans have a bearing on the game. Fans are more impatient when they expect it to be easy, no? That filters to the players.

It was the same during the United game at Anfield because we were meant to hammer them apparently.
« Last Edit: April 2, 2024, 03:27:46 pm by MonsLibpool »

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
It would be nice if we could go out and do what we did to Prague, but it won't be like that in reality. This is our last game against the promoted sides this season and we made hard work of the other 5, one way or another.

Any win will do, but it'd be nice to win it comfortably both for goal difference and physical/mental exertion levels.

Never underestimate our ability to make heavy weather of these type of games (added to game raising opponents and shit refs/VAR).
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
Surprised with all the chatter about rotating players and bringing the likes of Gakpo, Tsimikas in.

Get our strongest XI out there (fitness pending) and get the game won. If there is time towards the end of the game then make the changes then.

I'd rather Nunez go into the United game with a goal than come off the bench with 20 to go and less time to do damage and build his confidence. The only way I'd want to see Gakpo start is if he was starting against United, and we wanted to run with that for 60 mins to see how it looks.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
I think rotate a couple of players in for this one, just to get some more rhythm into the squad players.  Gravenberch needs minutes for sure, and this is a good game to bring Gakpo in from the start.

I dunno about Konate, he also needs to get out on the pitch, but we need him good to go for Utd as well.  Maybe 30 minutes at the end if we're cruising.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
Surprised with all the chatter about rotating players and bringing the likes of Gakpo, Tsimikas in.

Get our strongest XI out there (fitness pending) and get the game won. If there is time towards the end of the game then make the changes then.

I'd rather Nunez go into the United game with a goal than come off the bench with 20 to go and less time to do damage and build his confidence. The only way I'd want to see Gakpo start is if he was starting against United, and we wanted to run with that for 60 mins to see how it looks.

We'll need to rotate players game to game for the rest of the season.

Obviously easier with a full squad but Elliott and Tsimikas are worthy of a start. Konate will probably come in, but he has to start Sunday.
« Last Edit: April 2, 2024, 04:08:22 pm by Fromola »

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
We'll need to rotate players game to game for the rest of the season.

Obviously easier with a full squad but Elliott and Tsimikas are worthy of a start. Konate will probably come in, but he has to start Sunday.

Undoubtedly, but Sheff United and Man United are huge. I would be playing my strongest team v both of those and if someone needs managed - a Mac Allister or VVD or Nunez, then surely it's the Atalanta/Palace/Atalanta run we look to make some changes? Konate is a different case - we need him v United more, so whatever needs to happen in this game for him.

Sunday / Thursday / Sunday doesn't feel too strenuous.

I just don't think we should be rotating now for rotation sakes because it's an easy game on paper.

Mac Allister played a total of 77mins across 2 friendlies for Argentina
Nunez and Salah didn't play
VVD maybe the most used but wasn't utilised for the full 90 in both Sparta Prague games, so perhaps Atalanta will be the time to give him a breather
Gakpo got 97 mins across 2 games for Netherlands and has played a lot for us recently - in our last 9, he has started 6 and got significant minutes v United and played half a game v Brentford if we got back to the last 10
I do think Gomez's form has dipped a little compared to where he was - maybe that's the one if it's fatigue, no issue with that at all
Endo played 33 mins in his international window
Szoboszlai has been busy since he returned from injury definitely - Elliot in for him wouldn't be a concern either

I don't want Gravenberch coming in to start this game when he has had 1 minute of playing time since going off against Chelsea. For the same reasons I don't think Curtis Jones will be dropped in as soon as he comes back. Tsimikas I have concerns with if I am honest.

If everyone is fit, I would go the same again (maybe only bringing in Elliot/Konate) and try and blow them away. Give ourselves a chance to let Mac have 30 mins rest, Gomez, Diaz. I just don't see the point in the wholesale changes people are suggesting.
« Last Edit: April 2, 2024, 04:26:09 pm by Ciara (with a capital "C") »

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Nice stuff Jack.

Hopefully we'll get off to a flier for once. It would be lovely to put the game to bed by the 60th minute and get the likes of Clark and maybe Danns on the pitch for the last 15 minutes.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
Undoubtedly, but Sheff United and Man United are huge. I would be playing my strongest team v both of those and if someone needs managed - a Mac Allister or VVD or Nunez, then surely it's the Atalanta/Palace/Atalanta run we look to make some changes? Konate is a different case - we need him v United more, so whatever needs to happen in this game for him.

Sunday / Thursday / Sunday doesn't feel too strenuous.

I just don't think we should be rotating now for rotation sakes because it's an easy game on paper.

Mac Allister played a total of 77mins across 2 friendlies for Argentina
Nunez and Salah didn't play
VVD maybe the most used but wasn't utilised for the full 90 in both Sparta Prague games, so perhaps Atalanta will be the time to give him a breather
Gakpo got 97 mins across 2 games for Netherlands and has played a lot for us recently - in our last 9, he has started 6 and got significant minutes v United and played half a game v Brentford if we got back to the last 10
I do think Gomez's form has dipped a little compared to where he was - maybe that's the one if it's fatigue, no issue with that at all
Endo played 33 mins in his international window
Szoboszlai has been busy since he returned from injury definitely - Elliot in for him wouldn't be a concern either

I don't want Gravenberch coming in to start this game when he has had 1 minute of playing time since going off against Chelsea. For the same reasons I don't think Curtis Jones will be dropped in as soon as he comes back. Tsimikas I have concerns with if I am honest.

If everyone is fit, I would go the same again (maybe only bringing in Elliot/Konate) and try and blow them away. Give ourselves a chance to let Mac have 30 mins rest, Gomez, Diaz. I just don't see the point in the wholesale changes people are suggesting.

It depends on fitness levels though . For example you could play Elliott or Grav on Thursday from the start to keep Dom fresher for Sunday (and still have him on the bench) given he's not long come back from injury and had the full minutes for Hungary.

Tsimikas could offer more going forward than Gomez against a team we need to very much take the game to.

I wouldn't be making 5 or 6 changes but there's scope for 2 or 3, including possibly Konate.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
3 points on Thursday and 3 points on Sunday.  Just beat Sheff Utd and save legs for Sunday.  No need to chase goals, if they come in numbers so be it. Will be happy with a no frills 2-0, no injuries and no silly cards with rotation on 60 mins.  Expect United rotate against Chelsea with Sunday in mind.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2024, 07:54:54 pm by andy07 »
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
if someone needs managed - a Mac Allister or VVD or Nunez, then surely it's the Atalanta/Palace/Atalanta run we look to make some changes
you've lost me. 
last-place SU is "huge" and we should make changes vs 14th-place CP instead?

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
Dont want to see too much rotation for this game especially given our propensity to start slowly and invite pressure early on. Only once we have a comfortable lead should we look to make wholesale changes I'd go same again as Sunday except put Tsmikas being for Gomez at left back as I think we'll need width to break them down.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Nice OP, Jackh!

As long as we play with intensity, we can demolish these. Just don't rush players back from injury, integrate them slowly, give as many players a break as possible. Approach the game like every other, don't try to fix the GD, but if the game opens up, don't shy from it.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online kop306

• Anny Roader
kelleher

bradley quansah virg kostas

elliot macca grav

salah cody sobo

people laughed at my lineup then they realised endo wouldnt play because he has a knock
« Last Edit: April 3, 2024, 06:38:09 pm by kop306 »

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
Would love to massacre these, but suspect that won't happen. Hopefully go 2-0 up before HT, by which point I expect we'll take our foot off the gas, conserve energy for Sunday and see out the game in a professional manner.

Offline Saus76

• Complete and utter embarrassment
  • Anny Roader
Go strong, no fucking about.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
kelleher

elliot macca grav

salah cody sobo

No chance

Go strong. Batter them. Score lots. Bring on United on Sunday - rinse and repeat
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
kelleher

elliot macca grav

salah cody sobo

that's a bit preseason-y of a lineup

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
Thanks Jack and nice photo of Anfield.

I expect that Sheffield United will defend for their lives and try to nick an early goal. They could be hard to break down but we should have more than enough class to win this game. If we can improve our goal difference significantly then that would be a bonus……but win at all costs first.

Hopefully Mac Allister starts as he is starting to link up well with Mo. Give move some quality ball in the box and he’ll score.

No injuries please and a routine, low stress win will do.
#JFT97

Offline liverbnz

• Legacy Fan
Sheffield United have conceded 77 goals in total and 32 away from home in 14 games. Arsenal scored 11 against them. They should not in anyway be ‘hard to breakdown’, relatively speaking.

Nice op btw.
One thing you will discover is that life is based less than you think on what you've learned, and much more than you think on what you have inside you from the very beginning

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Sheffield United have conceded 77 goals in total and 32 away from home in 14 games. Arsenal scored 11 against them. They should not in anyway be ‘hard to breakdown’, relatively speaking.

Nice op btw.

They shouldn't - but you know us. We will have chances aplenty - but can we put them away early (and often).

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
Was just watching Sheffield Utd's last game with Fulham.

Amazing how many chances Fulham had in that game and the total dominance of the ball that Sheffield allowed them at home.  That's why leading 3-1 they really couldn't hold onto the lead.

It should be an absolute cricket score if we bring our shooting boots and it should also give Klopp plenty of time to rest and rotate for Sunday.

Sheffield don't really have anyone that is that quick that we should fear in transition.  They do like a long throw and obviously will look to profit from corners and set pieces.  BUT they've got to get the ball down the other end first and I don't see how they do that.

5-0...but this could be 10 if we wanted it to be.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
Strongest possible 11 for me.rotate them off with a commanding lead. Win the next two we win the league I reckon.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
Haha some of you seem to have been watching a different club to me.

Sheffield could have lost their last three games 10-0, have an unprecedented injury list and not won at Anfield since 1762, but they'll still find some scintillating counter-attacking form, the second string goalie will have the game of his life, a goalless-in-15 Rhian Brewster will open the scoring after 6 minutes and we'll have to turn it around nervily in the second half, despite a valid goal being chalked off by VAR. It'll be 3-1 at the most.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
I'm hoping the only change is Konate for Quansah. Thursday to Sunday is enough recovery time. Just aim to win the game. Talk of cricket scores should be parked. I will forever be scarred by Crystanbul when we went looking for goals to reel in the goal difference.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2024, 07:54:54 am by spider-neil »

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
Was just watching Sheffield Utd's last game with Fulham.

Amazing how many chances Fulham had in that game and the total dominance of the ball that Sheffield allowed them at home.  That's why leading 3-1 they really couldn't hold onto the lead.

It should be an absolute cricket score if we bring our shooting boots and it should also give Klopp plenty of time to rest and rotate for Sunday.

Sheffield don't really have anyone that is that quick that we should fear in transition.  They do like a long throw and obviously will look to profit from corners and set pieces.  BUT they've got to get the ball down the other end first and I don't see how they do that.

5-0...but this could be 10 if we wanted it to be.
We've not been great against the bottom 3. Newcastle beat Sheffield 8-0 but for us it was a nervy game that
was in the balance with a few minutes to go so we can't use other teams as our benchmark.
https://youtu.be/ulGq3YXhj4A?si=H9sLeRgjDhqhFnMw

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
I'm hoping the only change is Konate for Quansah. Thursday to Sunday is enough recovery time. Just aim to win the game. Talk of cricket scores should be parked. I will forever be scarred by Crystanbul when we went looking for goals to reel in the goal difference.

We really need Konate on Sunday. Given how fragile he seems to be I’d be keeping him on the bench Thursday.

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
Think it’ll be a strong 11 to start but we’ll use all 5 subs this game, unlike against Brighton.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
We really need Konate on Sunday. Given how fragile he seems to be I’d be keeping him on the bench Thursday.

Give him 45 minutes and Quansah 45 minutes. You don't want Konate's first game back after weeks away to Manu.

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
Haha some of you seem to have been watching a different club to me.

Sheffield could have lost their last three games 10-0, have an unprecedented injury list and not won at Anfield since 1762, but they'll still find some scintillating counter-attacking form, the second string goalie will have the game of his life, a goalless-in-15 Rhian Brewster will open the scoring after 6 minutes and we'll have to turn it around nervily in the second half, despite a valid goal being chalked off by VAR. It'll be 3-1 at the most.

Probably,  Probably!:-D
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline SuperStevieNicol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Give him 45 minutes and Quansah 45 minutes. You don't want Konate's first game back after weeks away to Manu.
Agree with this plus he had 90 mins for France if I am correct so he should be sharp enough. You could even give VVD 45 mins off if we are cruising at HT.
JFT97

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Just win
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
I think we go as strong as possible and look to sub early if it's going well. It's worth remembering that if we blow them away in the first hour the final 30 becomes more about resting on the ball and getting bench players minutes, whereas if we don't manage to break them down early they'll start thinking they have something to play for and keep the intensity high until the end.

A thundering win and some combination of Jones/Jota/Robertson getting a sub appearance would be utopia.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
Expecting an absolute cnut of a game......pissing down Thursday(?) night....useless baldy twat Simon (Diaz goal) Hooper officiating....and Wilder's dogs making it 'competitive' ..aka nothing in that Fletch ......Just get 3 points, not arsed how.
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
The result is not in doubt but hopefully we can avoid any injuries, they were determined to injure Mac in the first game and have since signed the shithouse Holgate who will be out to break legs.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Be clinical (looking at you, Mo  ;)), don't concede a silly first goal and it should be a comfortable victory.

Get the win first, and if the oppurtunity comes to improve the GD then go for it. But 3 points and no injuries is all I care about.

Online Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
Can't see anything but the strongest possible lineup at this stage of the season with no Champions League or FA Cup.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
Can't see anything but the strongest possible lineup at this stage of the season with no Champions League or FA Cup.
Start strong and then bring on players who need minutes. I would play Kostas at LB though, he gives us some additional creativity which we lose with Joe. Curtis coming back is big for us, finally gives us good options in midfield again.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
Got to go full strength to start subject to anyone who really needs a rest being looked after. Then taking players off when and if the game's won who need protecting before sunday.

Assume it'll be something like:

Kelleher

Bradley
Konate
Van Dijk
Robertson

Macca
Szobozslai
Endo

Nunez
Salah
Diaz

With an eye on giving, Nunez/Salah, Diaz, Macca, Szobozslai and Konate some time off in the second half.

May see Diaz rested for Gakpo perhaps to ensure both Salah and Nunez can be subbed.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Feels like one where Salah can be a bit more clinical hopefully, feels like he hasn't hit many braces recently and this should be a good chance.

Endo and Nunez need to avoid two more bookings in (I think) the next three games to avoid two match bans. I wouldn't really want to see loads of changes but Nunez is one I'd possibly bench for Gakpo despite his own recent struggles. Bench should be strong for this one anyway. The stats will probably back this up but I feel this season we take far more shots in the second half on average. It'd be nice to be ahead by a couple at half time tomorrow and see what Sheff Utd want to do about it.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.