Author Topic: What mobile phone?  (Read 869674 times)

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: What mobile phone?
« Reply #7400 on: October 5, 2017, 07:00:51 pm »
What is the battery life like on an S8? I've had my S6 now for nearly 2 years and the battery is a bit shit now. I like do do a good half hour of browsing in the mornings before I get out of bed, then about half hour on the train on the way to work. Moderate use in work then I'll need to charge when I get home.

Say today for example, i was on it this morning 7 till 8 browsing then I'm listening to Spotify for the next hour. Running Strava in the background. Between 9 and 12 I'm on it for about 20 minutes. On lunch today on Netflix for an hour. In the afternoon another 20 minutes or so then another half an hour Spotify and Strava. Been doing some light browsing for 45 minutes and some youtube'ing since I got in and I've still got 37 percent left.

It charges quick too.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #7401 on: October 5, 2017, 08:55:16 pm »
What is the battery life like on an S8? I've had my S6 now for nearly 2 years and the battery is a bit shit now. I like do do a good half hour of browsing in the mornings before I get out of bed, then about half hour on the train on the way to work. Moderate use in work then I'll need to charge when I get home.

I use mine almost constantly for work stuff, Office documents, emails, plus music/podcasts/netflix etc. on my train journey. With fully optimized functions I get about 15 hours use, which is much better than the S7. In saver mode, and with a fair amount of weekend use, this easily goes above 24 hours.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7402 on: October 12, 2017, 05:49:54 am »
Ended up getting a Samsung S8 after my Apple iphone 6 finally died on me this week. Really happy with it so far.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7403 on: October 12, 2017, 12:43:26 pm »
My Nexus 5X is on its last legs, doenst hold much of a charge. I love the camera in this phone. Can anybody recommend a replacement with equally as good camera without costing a fortune.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7404 on: October 12, 2017, 03:55:57 pm »
My Nexus 5X is on its last legs, doenst hold much of a charge. I love the camera in this phone. Can anybody recommend a replacement with equally as good camera without costing a fortune.

First Gen Pixels and Pixel XL's can be snapped up for around £400 now.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #7405 on: October 12, 2017, 04:08:42 pm »

One of the easier phones to change the built in battery on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOOfoX78mpA
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7406 on: October 15, 2017, 05:47:10 pm »
I am looking to get my mother a cheap mobile and was looking at the CUBOT Magic 5.0 Inch 4G LTE (£72 with the promo),the only thing stopping me ordering it now is the ADUPS spyware.I know that a few of you have chinese made mobiles and was wondering if you have found Adups on your phones & also wondered if the fact that it is fulfilled by Amazon would mean that they've already checked it as I know that they have kicked off phone makers in the US because of it..

So what do you reckon is it worth the gamble or should I swerve it ?

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7407 on: October 16, 2017, 12:53:54 am »
I am looking to get my mother a cheap mobile and was looking at the CUBOT Magic 5.0 Inch 4G LTE (£72 with the promo),the only thing stopping me ordering it now is the ADUPS spyware.I know that a few of you have chinese made mobiles and was wondering if you have found Adups on your phones & also wondered if the fact that it is fulfilled by Amazon would mean that they've already checked it as I know that they have kicked off phone makers in the US because of it..

So what do you reckon is it worth the gamble or should I swerve it ?

Would you not be better off with a moto e?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7408 on: October 16, 2017, 12:59:40 am »
Would you not be better off with a moto e?

It is one that I am looking at,the moto e,alcatel U5 or that Cubot,thay're all pretty much the same price.She isn't totally green which is why I am considering the Cubot but she isn't exactly tech savvy either,took her a long time to get confident with her Amazon tablet.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7409 on: November 6, 2017, 05:52:40 pm »
A Samsung obviously, funny video below though. And true..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R59TevgzN3k

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #7410 on: November 15, 2017, 11:33:51 pm »
First Gen Pixels and Pixel XL's can be snapped up for around £400 now.

how does the pixel 1 stack up I dont know anyone who has this.
I had a nexus5 and it was great but after 12 months it really fell off a cliff like it was cooked from the inside

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #7411 on: November 16, 2017, 01:20:13 pm »
I've just been offered an S7 with 32g of data, unlimited calls, messages and free NowTV/Spotify or Sky Sports for £35 per month. Considering I am using a shitty Samsung J3 I am really pleased with this.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #7412 on: December 5, 2017, 07:32:27 pm »
I really can't decide which phone to get next

I was waiting months for iPhone x to come out and when  went to an apple shop to have a look at it, it didn't really make me want to get it that much? But i've been looking at other options like the google pixel 2 XL and the one plus 5T, but i've never really been a fan of androids, i just much prefer the iOS

Out of all the new major ones, which one has the better battery life? i think these days i'm more concerned about that than any fancy gimmicks like animoji

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #7413 on: December 7, 2017, 10:57:59 pm »
Just bought the Oneplus 5T today, takes about a week and a half to get to me apparently :D

I've had a Oneplus 2 since quite soon after it came out.

Had a Oneplus One before that, sold that a few weeks ago (finally!).

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7414 on: December 8, 2017, 05:37:34 am »
6 to 8 GB of RAM in a smartphone is sheer madness(!).  These are basically portable computers. The processor on the Oneplus 5T is able to run full Windows 10!   We will be seeing ARM powered Windows devices with all day battery and LTE connections soon enough, with models already announced by HP and Asus.

Oneplus 5t is a good phone for the price. Camera does not match up to the likes of S8 or LG V30 though.
Phuk yoo

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #7415 on: December 8, 2017, 03:55:00 pm »
6 to 8 GB of RAM in a smartphone is sheer madness(!).  These are basically portable computers. The processor on the Oneplus 5T is able to run full Windows 10!   We will be seeing ARM powered Windows devices with all day battery and LTE connections soon enough, with models already announced by HP and Asus.

Oneplus 5t is a good phone for the price. Camera does not match up to the likes of S8 or LG V30 though.

yeah that is what I like about Oneplus, good phones with good spec for the price. Plus dual sim which is very useful. I'm sure more and more phones are that these days though.

The camera thing isn't too big a deal breaker for me.
Although the Oneplus 1 camera I found really shit to be honest. But the one on the Oneplus Two is great for what I use it for. So if the 5T is similar camera quality to that, I am more than fine with it.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #7416 on: December 21, 2017, 08:26:01 pm »
Just switched from iPhone to a Google Pixel 2 XL. First impressions are really positive, and obviously it plays very nicely with Google Home and my smart lighting setup.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7417 on: December 22, 2017, 12:22:14 pm »
Budget Xiaomi gave up the ghost so claimed on insurance. £190 payout - not bad.

Want a replacement device with excellent battery life but with a better camera. Not interested in paying top whack for a top of the range phone.

I'm thinking of going with the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. Will get a brand new one.

I know the model is a couple of years old but I understand it'll satisfy my requirements - right? Not a heavy gamer or anything, just basic web-browsing, email, Twitter, odd photo etc.

Anyone had/got one and can confirm it's a good buy?

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7418 on: December 22, 2017, 12:35:07 pm »
Budget Xiaomi gave up the ghost so claimed on insurance. £190 payout - not bad.

Want a replacement device with excellent battery life but with a better camera. Not interested in paying top whack for a top of the range phone.

I'm thinking of going with the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. Will get a brand new one.

I know the model is a couple of years old but I understand it'll satisfy my requirements - right? Not a heavy gamer or anything, just basic web-browsing, email, Twitter, odd photo etc.

Anyone had/got one and can confirm it's a good buy?

Ive had mine for about 18 months now - and dont really like it at all. Dont get me wrong, the phone itself is great but the "edge" feature is a pain in the arse. I'm forever gripping the phone to find out somethings started up. Or basic things like holding it on some games (anduko etc) it wont register an input as it senses you holding the edge as an input on the screen.

I've got as S7 as well which I prefer.

Just got an S8 for my lads Xmas and that looks nice but not usd it yet.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7419 on: December 22, 2017, 11:02:18 pm »
Cheers. Ended up going for another Xiaomi (Redmi Note 4X). Appears to be great value for money for what you get, even if it isn't top of the range.

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #7420 on: January 3, 2018, 09:11:43 pm »
So anyone with a oneplus 5t tell how the screen resolution stands up to other phones ?

I expect the colours to be vibrant with the anoles but I noticed it is a 1080p full Hd rather than 2k or Qhd as many phones now use.

I am upgrading from an LG G3 which has Qhd and I want to see improvements on the screen and camera/ photos from this phone

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7421 on: January 4, 2018, 05:29:37 am »
So anyone with a oneplus 5t tell how the screen resolution stands up to other phones ?

I expect the colours to be vibrant with the anoles but I noticed it is a 1080p full Hd rather than 2k or Qhd as many phones now use.

I am upgrading from an LG G3 which has Qhd and I want to see improvements on the screen and camera/ photos from this phone

The LG V20 is available for very cheap these days and will serve your needs, including a much faster processor and a superior QHD display. Also will be easier for you to pick up and use given your familiarity with LGs UI and software.

Not that the Op3T is a bad phone by any means.
Phuk yoo

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #7422 on: January 4, 2018, 12:22:12 pm »
Upgraded me old Note 4 to a V20, for £250 it's a bargain. Took a few days to get used to the screen though, backlights are not pretty after a nice AMOLED screen.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #7423 on: January 4, 2018, 05:08:22 pm »
I couldn't be without amoled nowadays...

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7424 on: January 4, 2018, 05:46:48 pm »
Upgraded me old Note 4 to a V20, for £250 it's a bargain. Took a few days to get used to the screen though, backlights are not pretty after a nice AMOLED screen.

i love the screen though, despite the lack of true blacks. It has superb colour accuracy and brightness. Its a quantum dot display, not a basic lcd ips panel.

i am not a fan of 1080p amoled displays because peetty much all of them are pentile, which means their effective resolution is 2/3rd of a comparable lcd. Also screen burn is a well documented  issue.
Phuk yoo

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7425 on: January 4, 2018, 11:06:08 pm »
id recommend the Honor 9 for anyone on a budget. nice phone. they had it on amazon for 300 pounds on black friday.

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #7426 on: January 6, 2018, 07:43:38 pm »
i love the screen though, despite the lack of true blacks. It has superb colour accuracy and brightness. Its a quantum dot display, not a basic lcd ips panel.

i am not a fan of 1080p amoled displays because peetty much all of them are pentile, which means their effective resolution is 2/3rd of a comparable lcd. Also screen burn is a well documented  issue.
Agree the lg colours look more accurate.
Amoled seem to "fake up" colours it looks attractive but things just aint that neon in real life

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #7427 on: January 6, 2018, 07:47:14 pm »
The LG V20 is available for very cheap these days and will serve your needs, including a much faster processor and a superior QHD display. Also will be easier for you to pick up and use given your familiarity with LGs UI and software.

Not that the Op3T is a bad phone by any means.
Been about the shops playing with a few. Must say the G6 impressed me as did the p10  pixel2 i could see the difference on the op5t resolution but that power is insane

Cant try a v20 obviously but the v30 looks a real beast

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7428 on: January 8, 2018, 06:21:04 am »
Been about the shops playing with a few. Must say the G6 impressed me as did the p10  pixel2 i could see the difference on the op5t resolution but that power is insane

Cant try a v20 obviously but the v30 looks a real beast

The V30 is a fantastic bit of kit, better than the hard to use curved Samsung flagships. The Snapdragon 835, P-OLED display,  UFS storage and a 1.6 aperture makes it a great buy at around 500 GBP. It also has a headphone jack(!!) and a Quad DAC for extra high quality audio if you have a pair of good headphones.

Pixel 2 is a good phone but I am not a fan because of the missing 3.5 mm port.
Phuk yoo

Online PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #7429 on: January 8, 2018, 09:50:32 am »
Waiting now for the S9 as upgrade to my S7 Edge or wait even further for the XZ2 from SONY.... hmmmm decisions decisions...

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #7430 on: January 11, 2018, 08:46:40 am »
Anyone got the HTC U11+ ?

Offline ScouserAlec

• Kopite
« Reply #7431 on: January 11, 2018, 12:19:05 pm »
Anyone got the iPhone 8 Plus? Due an upgrade and swaying towards it
★      ★      ★      ★      ★
77     78     81     84     05

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #7432 on: January 11, 2018, 06:35:37 pm »
Anyone got the iPhone 8 Plus? Due an upgrade and swaying towards it

I've got the 8 plus. So far really enjoying it. I went from the 6 plus to the 8 plus.

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #7433 on: January 17, 2018, 07:36:01 pm »
Due an upgrade now from my LG G5, anyone used the G6? I really like the G5, don't want to go to Apple, and was also considering the Galaxy S8. Would it be worth hanging on for the S9? I bloody hate picking new phones.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7434 on: January 18, 2018, 05:13:56 am »
Due an upgrade now from my LG G5, anyone used the G6? I really like the G5, don't want to go to Apple, and was also considering the Galaxy S8. Would it be worth hanging on for the S9? I bloody hate picking new phones.

Why not the V30?

The G6 is also very good, but it has a slightly older chipset (2017's Snapdragon 821) and an IPS display as opposed to P-OLED. I prefer IPS displays myself because of accurate colour rendering and higher brightness, but many people prefer OLED displays for their deep blacks, infinite contrast and oversaturated/neon-ish colours.

Phuk yoo

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #7435 on: February 16, 2018, 09:06:06 pm »
The V30 is a fantastic bit of kit, better than the hard to use curved Samsung flagships. The Snapdragon 835, P-OLED display,  UFS storage and a 1.6 aperture makes it a great buy at around 500 GBP. It also has a headphone jack(!!) and a Quad DAC for extra high quality audio if you have a pair of good headphones.

Pixel 2 is a good phone but I am not a fan because of the missing 3.5 mm port.
Picked up a V20 - insane phone for the money now. Can switch battery about and a headphone jack with hifi DAC built in. [emoji108][emoji108]

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #7436 on: February 16, 2018, 11:15:39 pm »
Just got my Oneplus 5t in lava red replacing my near 2 year old Oneplus 3

Great phone for an incredible price.

Screen is great. Still getting used to the 18:9 aspect ratio but I don't think you can go wrong with an AMOLED screen. Plus a 2k screen is only going to be a drain on the battery.

The best thing about the phone is Dash charging. Over 50% charge in 30 mins. The camera I've never been to arsed about. Simple point and shoot is fine with me.

A great stock android OS. No bloatwear at all. Very customisable.

Face unlock is lightning fast. It's instantaneous.

Oh and a headphone jack!! Can't believe the headphone jack has become a premium part of a phone

For £500 it's a bargain compared with the current flagships
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:17:37 pm by gazzalfc »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7437 on: February 21, 2018, 04:55:28 am »
Picked up a V20 - insane phone for the money now. Can switch battery about and a headphone jack with hifi DAC built in. [emoji108][emoji108]

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Good decision. Apart from the selfie cam, everything is A++ in the V20.  Battery life is great, performance is smooth and stutter free, secondary display is helpful and I like the clean software without unnecessary clutter.  Loving mine too.

Phuk yoo

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #7438 on: February 21, 2018, 11:50:02 am »
Why not the V30?

The G6 is also very good, but it has a slightly older chipset (2017's Snapdragon 821) and an IPS display as opposed to P-OLED. I prefer IPS displays myself because of accurate colour rendering and higher brightness, but many people prefer OLED displays for their deep blacks, infinite contrast and oversaturated/neon-ish colours.

Ended up going for the V30... great phone, much better specs than the G6. Thanks for the rec.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #7439 on: February 23, 2018, 05:55:10 am »
Ended up going for the V30... great phone, much better specs than the G6. Thanks for the rec.

Good choice!

Hows the camera? Manual mode is supposed to be awesome on the v30. It has a 1.7 aperture, which is great. One of the few phones still coming with OIS too.

Planning to get it to replace my older LG G- flex 2.
Phuk yoo