Author Topic: Harry Wilson to get his chance (at Bournemouth!)  (Read 81767 times)

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Harry Wilson to get his chance (at Bournemouth!)
« Reply #720 on: March 8, 2020, 07:29:48 pm »
I'm surprised anyone who has watched us thinks Wilson has a chance to play in this Klopp team.  He's definitely good enough to play, and score, in the Premier League for a number of teams, but he's not the type of player we would be looking to sign if he was somewhere else as he doesn't fit our style of play.  I also don't see him being able to change his style to match ours, but there are a Premier League teams where he would be a great fit.

The most likely scenario is he's sold to a bottom half team for 25-30M and we use that money for someone more suited to play for us.  I'm sure Edwards and the team have already planned for this sometime in the next year or two.  The loans were a precursor to this eventuality.

We signed Shaqiri..

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
« Reply #721 on: March 8, 2020, 07:52:34 pm »
We signed Shaqiri..

Yes, because he is a much better player than Wilson right now and a slightly better fit for our system than Wilson will likely ever be.  Also, Shaq was a very cheap purchase and pretty much guaranteed us and an extra 10-20M when we sell him.

For those thinking Wilson should make this team next year, ask yourself the following question: Do you think he would get into the Man City team next year?  What about Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus?  These are the teams we are currently competing against so holding out hope that Wilson breaks through here, which would have been a great story, is extremely hopeful.

Very few of our kids have been able to make the breakthrough here to the first team.  The reason for this is many, but the main one is it's a very big jump to the first team and our current version is better than ever making this an even bigger leap.  The only notables who have moved up over the past decade are Sterling and TAA and they are both in the top 10 for transfer market values given their age and performances.  You could argue Gomez is another although we bought him at 17 when he was already playing first team football and 17 and he didn't spend much time playing for our kids.
Raúl barely had a kick. The nearest he got to greatness was when he shook Gerrard by the hand.   Times - Mar 10,2009.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #722 on: March 8, 2020, 07:56:53 pm »
Wish they'd never shown that clip of Harry at the game yesterday. All it's done is lead to the same old shite arguments being regurgitated over and over again. Some think he should have a chance, some think he has no chance, some are desperate to sell him, because they love selling our players prematurely in their heads as it makes them feel like boss managers.

Yet after all that we'll still have to just wait and see what happens. Who'd have thunk it, eh?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
« Reply #723 on: March 8, 2020, 08:05:33 pm »
Wish they'd never shown that clip of Harry at the game yesterday. All it's done is lead to the same old shite arguments being regurgitated over and over again. Some think he should have a chance, some think he has no chance, some are desperate to sell him, because they love selling our players prematurely in their heads as it makes them feel like boss managers.

Yet after all that we'll still have to just wait and see what happens. Who'd have thunk it, eh?

And some have no opinion and what to quarantine posts in this thread like they are a virtual coronavirus.  How about you try and discuss how you think Wilson may/or may not make this team next year.

This is a forum where people debate/discuss their thoughts on various topics.  If non-repetition was the qualifier for posting, there would be at least 50% less posts in this forum.
Raúl barely had a kick. The nearest he got to greatness was when he shook Gerrard by the hand.   Times - Mar 10,2009.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #724 on: March 8, 2020, 08:16:01 pm »
He did post an opinion. :)

Now try and be nice. We are going to win the league.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #725 on: March 8, 2020, 08:19:23 pm »
And some have no opinion and what to quarantine posts in this thread like they are a virtual coronavirus.
Yer wot?

How about you try and discuss how you think Wilson may/or may not make this team next year.
There's nothing to discuss because we don't know what the make-up of the squad will be next season, who will be there and who won't, and what new players, if any, may come in. Nor do we have any insight into Klopp's thinking, at this stage, about Wilson's future. People had mentally written Origi off years ago, and Sturridge years before he left, for example.

Given the above, and given that he's a Liverpool player until we are told otherwise, my approach is to have the highest hopes for him and support him as I support all our players. I have no interest in doing him down, selling him (or others) off, or spelling doom for his chances.

This is a forum where people debate/discuss their thoughts on various topics.  If non-repetition was the qualifier for posting, there would be at least 50% less posts in this forum.
Yeh there's nothing else to discuss at the moment so we need to venture into hypotheticals that no-one here has any knowledge about, despite nothing new having happened apart from his face briefly appearing on screen.

Besides, I'm not stopping you; I don't have that power (if only!  8)). I just gave my opinion as well which is that there's a load of tedious shite spoken about our players.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #726 on: March 8, 2020, 08:26:22 pm »
Yer wot?
There's nothing to discuss because we don't know what the make-up of the squad will be next season

Pretty sure we'll still be using Nivea.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #727 on: March 8, 2020, 08:28:31 pm »
Pretty sure we'll still be using Nivea.
;D

Nivea > Olay Ole

Harry can be the new face for the campaign, He looks younger than his years!

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #728 on: March 8, 2020, 08:53:39 pm »
Harry is homegrown so might be valuable as a squad player next year.. especially if the quota is increased due to FA demands after Brexit.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #729 on: March 9, 2020, 12:54:23 am »
I like Wilson and hope we keep him, especially for the lower tiered games and being a bit time squad player. Whether hes happy with that role or Klopp sees any future for him at Liverpool is another discussion.

I know Shaqiri and Lallana have been injured, but wouldve preferred to keep him than rely on them both.
« Last Edit: March 9, 2020, 01:00:14 am by Machae »

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #730 on: March 9, 2020, 01:05:05 am »
It’s a shame because he’s joined Bournemouth at their nadir. They’ve been wretched at times this year and it’s going to be hellishly difficult for any player to come in and do wonders. Yet nevertheless, he’s been decent - I just wonder how he’d have fared being loaned to a better team.

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #731 on: March 9, 2020, 01:38:53 am »
He's not going anywhere cept our bench next season and he will get his chances - he is our type of player!

Honestly think Bournemouth has suited and improved him.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #732 on: March 9, 2020, 09:46:59 am »
Personally don't think he's good enough. He goes missing too often. Take £20m plus add ons and sell on % etc in my opinion. Same with Grujic and that's Werner paid for.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #733 on: March 9, 2020, 09:48:15 am »
I think Klopp will be happy with him as a squad player, as a direct replacement for Shaq, and the decision to stay or not lies with Harry himself, whether he feels he'd get enough playing time for his age and development.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #734 on: March 9, 2020, 09:49:38 am »
He's not going anywhere cept our bench next season and he will get his chances - he is our type of player!

Yeah if he wants to stay and be a squad player we should keep him - he would have come in handy this season at times.

Equally if he wants to play every week I'm sure we can get a good fee for him. It's win win for us.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #735 on: March 9, 2020, 10:04:01 am »
It’s a shame because he’s joined Bournemouth at their nadir. They’ve been wretched at times this year and it’s going to be hellishly difficult for any player to come in and do wonders. Yet nevertheless, he’s been decent - I just wonder how he’d have fared being loaned to a better team.
Regardless of Bournemouth's position, it has still been a good season for Wilson. He has got good game time and made an impact, probably a bigger impact than the two we sold to them!
We've seen in the past that loaning players to other prem clubs has not worked that often so we have to be happy with how this has turned out.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #736 on: March 9, 2020, 10:50:47 am »
Yeah if he wants to stay and be a squad player we should keep him - he would have come in handy this season at times.

Equally if he wants to play every week I'm sure we can get a good fee for him. It's win win for us.

Agree. It's not a bad decision either way, for us and the player.

Offline VVM

• Kopite
  • OVER AN HOUR LEFT ESTIMATED TIME
« Reply #737 on: March 9, 2020, 11:12:38 am »
I like him but I'm Welsh and therefore biased. I've always wanted to see him get a chance but I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave. I've noticed for Wales he does go missing and is a little lightweight but is capable of moments of magic more often than not.

He's similar to Shaqiri in a sense and I think if Shaq leaves then Wilson may get a chance, he's got a good attitude and looks to be improving every year. Training with our squad might be what he needs to raise his game.

Offline Lidmanen

• Main Stander
« Reply #738 on: March 9, 2020, 11:18:27 am »
I agree that he can probably come in and be a direct replacement for Shaqiri. Question for him is would he rather play every week in the bottom half of the league, or play sporadically for the best team in the world?

As others have said, I'd like to see him at least given a chance. When you think of some of the dross who have been given opportunities to stake a claim in our squad over the years, for a player who has done everything asked of him through his development at the club and on loan to not be given the same chance would be a shame.

Offline #RedDawn2020

• Main Stander
« Reply #739 on: March 9, 2020, 11:35:11 am »
If we do sell Shaqiri, which I hope, Wilson would be a decent enough squad player and could potentially contribute at least as much as Shaq this season and last.

I’d rather we get a significant upgrade on both, though. One pacy classical winger couldn’t hurt, so we can mix up our inverted winger routine a bit.
“Intensity is our identity.”

Offline Koparoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Number 7 is just around the corner!!
« Reply #740 on: March 9, 2020, 12:53:03 pm »
 :scarf
Harry is homegrown so might be valuable as a squad player next year.. especially if the quota is increased due to FA demands after Brexit.

In a world of fine margins, that may be all it takes... I'll leave it up to Jurgen, personally...

Meanwhile... NOW you're gunna believe us...  :scarf :scarf :scarf
"After 27 years and 11 days, finally, we got justice for the 96"
Adrian Tempany

... YNWA

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #741 on: March 9, 2020, 05:03:19 pm »
If we do sell Shaqiri, which I hope, Wilson would be a decent enough squad player and could potentially contribute at least as much as Shaq this season and last.

I’d rather we get a significant upgrade on both, though. One pacy classical winger couldn’t hurt, so we can mix up our inverted winger routine a bit.
Thanks for your support.

The player has been injured, but when he has played, has scored against Man Utd and Everton, among others and created the crucial 3rd goal against Barca in a must win match. But yeh, shite, get rid.

Liverpool fans

Offline fridge

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #742 on: March 9, 2020, 05:46:03 pm »
I like him but I'm Welsh and therefore biased. I've always wanted to see him get a chance but I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave. I've noticed for Wales he does go missing and is a little lightweight but is capable of moments of magic more often than not.

He's similar to Shaqiri in a sense and I think if Shaq leaves then Wilson may get a chance, he's got a good attitude and looks to be improving every year. Training with our squad might be what he needs to raise his game.

Exactly this. He's obviously got some talent and maybe our manager is the man to take Harry to the next level. I'm sure he's done this with one or two other players
Each night before I go to bed I thank the Lord that I'm a Red

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #743 on: March 9, 2020, 11:03:12 pm »
He’s a very good footballer who won’t make it here. It takes a lot to make it at a big club and we are one of if not the best right now. We will sell him I’m sure.

Jones looks great and still has a chance but he isn’t sterling who burst through in a team that wasn’t as good as this one. In short you have to be exceptional to get in now. There is no way a team at the top prioritises youth over staying at the top.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #744 on: March 9, 2020, 11:51:25 pm »
Thanks for your support.

The player has been injured, but when he has played, has scored against Man Utd and Everton, among others and created the crucial 3rd goal against Barca in a must win match. But yeh, shite, get rid.

Liverpool fans

I know this is a Harry Wilson thread but Shaqiri has been injured practically all season. That's not of any use to us. I wish it weren't so but it is. It keeps happening. Wilson has also had injuries in the past but (as far as I know) has been available for the vast majority of the time this season. I think there is every reason to suspect he would improve playing alongside the best players in the country, mind you, how many opportunities is he going to get ?

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #745 on: March 11, 2020, 12:11:39 am »
I know this is a Harry Wilson thread but Shaqiri has been injured practically all season. That's not of any use to us. I wish it weren't so but it is. It keeps happening. Wilson has also had injuries in the past but (as far as I know) has been available for the vast majority of the time this season. I think there is every reason to suspect he would improve playing alongside the best players in the country, mind you, how many opportunities is he going to get ?

Thats the thing. He has only had sporatic opportunities during pre season. What about actual EPL games as a sub or the like?. Only way to tell how he will go and grow is to play alongside the first team players and grab his opportunities (which have rarely happened). Why keep loaning him out if Klopp wasn't sure he would make it with us?.
A squad backup is always good as an option and yes i noticed Shaq has been "injured" for a good chunk of time he has been with us too..

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #746 on: March 11, 2020, 12:32:39 am »
He's at that age where he could either blossom or fade and he's the sort of player who could do either, as has been said, we need to see what he looks like playing alongside top players after a year in the PL. I suspect (if normal summer processes are followed) that a final decision is taken once he has had some time back with his club.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #747 on: March 11, 2020, 06:17:27 am »
I agree that he can probably come in and be a direct replacement for Shaqiri. Question for him is would he rather play every week in the bottom half of the league, or play sporadically for the best team in the world?

As others have said, I'd like to see him at least given a chance. When you think of some of the dross who have been given opportunities to stake a claim in our squad over the years, for a player who has done everything asked of him through his development at the club and on loan to not be given the same chance would be a shame.

What was asked of him?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #748 on: March 11, 2020, 09:35:59 am »

Why does anyone worry when we have Edwards and Klopp working together to make such judgements?
Is this not a win-win situation, if he can make it that is great, we will have another home grown talent and a dead ball expert, if not he will be sold for a very decent sum of money.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #749 on: March 11, 2020, 10:56:57 am »
What was asked of him?

Successful spells wherever loaned to?

Offline Lidmanen

• Main Stander
« Reply #750 on: March 11, 2020, 11:02:31 am »
What was asked of him?

To play consistently well at Hull, Derby and Bournemouth as well as be too good for the U23s.

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #751 on: March 11, 2020, 11:50:41 am »
To give it the 'five times' when he scored against the Mancs.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #752 on: March 11, 2020, 06:13:10 pm »
Thats the thing. He has only had sporatic opportunities during pre season. What about actual EPL games as a sub or the like?. Only way to tell how he will go and grow is to play alongside the first team players and grab his opportunities (which have rarely happened). Why keep loaning him out if Klopp wasn't sure he would make it with us?.
A squad backup is always good as an option and yes i noticed Shaq has been "injured" for a good chunk of time he has been with us too..

I think JK already spoke about this.  JK thought that certain qualities were already top drawer (e.g. free kicks) but wanted a more complete player and they were hoping that going out on loan and playing regularly would develop those. For instance, I don't really see a high work rate player, or a player capable of pressing at the intensity that we do. I don't see a player that is clever with his movement and one that can be really secure on the ball. He also tends to fade in and out of games rather than trying to impose himself on a game. He's not terrible at any of these things, but he's worse on these characteristics compared to players we already have, and thus he's not as complete a player as the other players.

It's always a great story if a youth player comes through the system and makes it into the first team. For Wilson, I think the qualities he needs to be able to play at LFC have been made very clear and the rest is really up to him. If he can put in the time and effort and seriously work on things he isn't great at then he stands to gain the most. For other players, they perhaps aren't that motivated and know that perhaps they will get a decent role somewhere else. For instance, I'm certain that he would go to most bottom half clubs and probably be a starter in the EPL, and a definite starter in the Championship. It all just depends on what he's willing to fight for.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #753 on: March 11, 2020, 06:23:23 pm »
To play consistently well at Hull, Derby and Bournemouth as well as be too good for the U23s.

We asked him to be too good for the U23s? ;D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #754 on: March 11, 2020, 07:05:42 pm »
I think JK already spoke about this.  JK thought that certain qualities were already top drawer (e.g. free kicks) but wanted a more complete player and they were hoping that going out on loan and playing regularly would develop those. For instance, I don't really see a high work rate player, or a player capable of pressing at the intensity that we do. I don't see a player that is clever with his movement and one that can be really secure on the ball. He also tends to fade in and out of games rather than trying to impose himself on a game. He's not terrible at any of these things, but he's worse on these characteristics compared to players we already have, and thus he's not as complete a player as the other players.

It's always a great story if a youth player comes through the system and makes it into the first team. For Wilson, I think the qualities he needs to be able to play at LFC have been made very clear and the rest is really up to him. If he can put in the time and effort and seriously work on things he isn't great at then he stands to gain the most. For other players, they perhaps aren't that motivated and know that perhaps they will get a decent role somewhere else. For instance, I'm certain that he would go to most bottom half clubs and probably be a starter in the EPL, and a definite starter in the Championship. It all just depends on what he's willing to fight for.

Fair post but the comments about his movement and not being secure on the ball is wrong, he has good movement in relation to getting behind defences in goal scoring positions and he was 2nd to Grealish as the most fouled player in the championship not because of his great dribbling but for the exact reason you mentioned, he knows how to protect the ball and draw in fouls.

There’s a lot to improve in his game still, he might not ever make it here for that reason, at the same time who’s to know how much improvement he can make training and playing with our squad of players for a full season.