Author Topic: Saudi Arabia's raid of European clubs  (Read 35472 times)

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Saudi Arabia's raid of European clubs
« Reply #240 on: June 29, 2023, 06:48:17 pm »
So they have even bought God now

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66058178
So disappointing.
Just more proof that rich footballers actually don’t give a shit, it’s only really the fans that are bothered/ have morals.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: June 29, 2023, 06:52:34 pm »

Robbie lad, for fucks sake :no

I think 10M is the figure where you could have an amazing life and not have to worry about money if you were mid 30’s.

It probably wouldn’t be a hugely extravagant life though obviously a very comfortable one & one that is beyond the vast majority of people.

It wouldn't be living in a mansion in an exclusive part of California/London/ name another exclusive area with the associated security and a huge range of cars, etc.. You need to be in the 100M type range to have that and not work.

I’m not trying to defend the footballers here. Having 10M in the bank is beyond most people’s comprehension. Bit like most people, footballers probably get accustomed to the money. There will always be a better house, newer car, expensive watch etc.  that you can spend your money on. That would seem unnatural to most but it’s because the starting point is different. It’s like buying a 500k 4 bed house house and 5 years later saying you want a 5 bed house at 1M and justifying moving to a better paid job to do so. Human nature to always want more and for a number of people that equates to more money and things.

You don't actually have to spend any of the £10 million though. A good accountant will make sure that the money works for you and never gets spent. £8 million in a 1 year fixed earns £456,000 pa before tax, around about £38k a month, the mortgage on a £4m house is about £15k a month, you never pay cash for anything, everything goes on credit cards.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: June 29, 2023, 07:11:49 pm »
You must have expensive tastes  ;)

I could live very comfortably on a million.  A million is more than enough.  I've never been one for chasing money though.  It's the route of all evil.
Same here mate, £1million is ample to last me the rest of my life . . . then again I don't want no super cars nor mansions in exotic locations. A 2 bedroom bungalow up in the Highlands of Scotland will do me just fine.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: June 29, 2023, 11:58:55 pm »

Think I'm done with this sport now.

It's gone isn't it...
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: June 30, 2023, 12:10:06 am »

Going to have to change his nickname.

Very poor reflection of his coaching skills if he's hooking up with a team who finished 11th in the KSA 2nd Division.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: June 30, 2023, 01:23:13 am »

Really expected them to go for someone more experienced since they are now owned by one of the largest companies in the world.

Good for him. He will earn lots of money and a good city to live in for a year or two.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: June 30, 2023, 02:41:57 am »
Brozovic to Al Nassr almost a done deal.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Henry Kissinger

• Posterior sponsored by Wilkinson Sword. On the Llama Protection Register. Should wash his mouth out with soap and water.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Experience is the name we give our mistakes
« Reply #248 on: June 30, 2023, 06:29:49 am »
Bit surprised to see Firmino has gone there too. Thought he would have preferred something a bit more challenging.
"What's passive smoking? There's passive lots of things. Like passive listening to shitheads. I have to put up with that every day. Are you going to ban people from talking crap? They give me a headache. Believe me, they're killing me. One day people's conversations on the street will do me in." Terry Hall

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #249 on: June 30, 2023, 07:30:03 am »
You must have expensive tastes  ;)

I could live very comfortably on a million.  A million is more than enough.  I've never been one for chasing money though.  It's the route of all evil.

Surely that depends how old you are? Without doing the complex calculations of interest etc and assuming that it’s a million to spend over the course of the rest of your life, then a 20 year old who lives to 80 would have £1,388 to spend per month. That’s currently not going to leave a lot of change off the mortgage costs of a two bed bungalow in the highlands if you take Paul’s plan for example. It certainly doesn’t leave scope for living very comfortably I’d say.

Even if it’s for half that time, you’d barely crack the mean wage in the country. Sure you can live on that amount but it could not fund a much more than an average lifestyle.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: June 30, 2023, 08:30:46 am »
Same here mate, £1million is ample to last me the rest of my life . . . then again I don't want no super cars nor mansions in exotic locations. A 2 bedroom bungalow up in the Highlands of Scotland will do me just fine.

Same  :)

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: June 30, 2023, 08:33:52 am »
Surely that depends how old you are? Without doing the complex calculations of interest etc and assuming that it’s a million to spend over the course of the rest of your life, then a 20 year old who lives to 80 would have £1,388 to spend per month. That’s currently not going to leave a lot of change off the mortgage costs of a two bed bungalow in the highlands if you take Paul’s plan for example. It certainly doesn’t leave scope for living very comfortably I’d say.

Even if it’s for half that time, you’d barely crack the mean wage in the country. Sure you can live on that amount but it could not fund a much more than an average lifestyle.

Seriously.  A million is enough to buy a property somewhere and get another two homes with rental income, you're then set for life.

Plenty of time to work part time, volunteer or do some community involvement, if you'd so wish.  Even learn some crafts, a trade, or pursue some study.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 08:37:46 am by Red-Soldier »

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: June 30, 2023, 08:47:03 am »
Jota of Celtic going to Saudi Arabia now, 24 years old and a very tidy player too, could have been a decent acquisition for a mid to lower table Premier league team, but he's chased the cash, which is a shame.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #253 on: June 30, 2023, 08:49:38 am »

It’s not as complex as you think though - if you got a million today you could invest it fairly boringly to return 4-5% per year, especially now that interest rates are back to a normal range. That would give you an income of £40-50k, and leaves the million untouched.

I do wonder what the finances of these guys look like once they retire. If they followed a plan like that they could conceivably have like £100m worth of assets sitting about and be bringing in millions a year without working at all. I mean Fowler definitely has all sorts of income streams and while I really admire his work ethic, you’d think he’d want to be a bit more discerning about whether he needs to always take up the very best offer.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 09:10:56 am by Iska »

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #254 on: June 30, 2023, 09:07:39 am »
Plenty of time to work part time, volunteer or do some community involvement, if you'd so wish.  Even learn some crafts, a trade, or pursue some study.

Anecdotally, from travelling around rural south west Scotland for work: I’ve met a lot of English people who’ve moved here with much less of a retirement bonus, but enjoyed the benefits of the differences in property prices. They seem to throw themselves into the local community and become driving forces to get things done, where the locals are apathetic. A nice (bigger) house and a nest egg allows them to do good things after retirement.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: June 30, 2023, 09:15:52 am »
Think I'm done with this sport now.

It's gone isn't it...
The beautiful game as we knew and loved it is never coming back and it sickens me to my very core.

I hate it, all of it can't fucking stand it.

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: June 30, 2023, 09:27:28 am »
The beautiful game as we knew and loved it is never coming back and it sickens me to my very core.

Understandable with what’s happened to your club. A lot of us are feeling very similar to you, next worse thing to being taken over by these despots is having to compete with them. I’m so close to completely giving up on the game myself. Never thought I would feel this way about football, I’ve loved it all my life. But it’s just being systematically destroyed.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: June 30, 2023, 09:31:33 am »
Understandable with what’s happened to your club. A lot of us are feeling very similar to you, next worse thing to being taken over by these despots is having to compete with them. I’m so close to completely giving up on the game myself. Never thought I would feel this way about football, I’ve loved it all my life. But it’s just being systematically destroyed.

Open your eyes mate.  It's not just his club, it's the whole damn thing!  The money that's swimming around all sport now is obscene and disgusting!

Football was rotten long before the Saudis bought Newcastle.

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: June 30, 2023, 09:45:12 am »
Open your eyes mate.  It's not just his club, it's the whole damn thing!  The money that's swimming around all sport now is obscene and disgusting!

I know that, but this is the final straw now.
The premier league itself is obscene , but that was mainly due to fans continuing to pay the ever increasing costs of watching games, both in person and on sky. So it was just supply and demand.
The despots have now destroyed the competition, they are destroying golf and any other sport that takes their fancy. It is the final straw.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: June 30, 2023, 09:46:48 am »

It's sad to say and see, but you're right Paul. It's gone too far now to pull back. More allegation of cheating from Man City yesterday, no one cares. I'm not sure about anyone but my whatsapp group with my mates, there is a mixture of Liverpool, Utd, Celtic and Everton fans. Couple of years ago the stick was flying, during every match or in between games. For years. Now, no one even bothers, its all just so false and its hard to relate to anyone in the game

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #260 on: June 30, 2023, 09:47:47 am »
It’s not as complex as you think though - if you got a million today you could invest it fairly boringly to return 4-5% per year, especially now that interest rates are back to a normal range. That would give you an income of £40-50k, and leaves the million untouched.

I do wonder what the finances of these guys look like once they retire. If they followed a plan like that they could conceivably have like £100m worth of assets sitting about and be bringing in millions a year without working at all. I mean Fowler definitely has all sorts of income streams and while I really admire his work ethic, you’d think he’d want to be a bit more discerning about whether he needs to always take up the very best offer.

I get that, although not sure I'd bank on 4-5% interest across a life time. I was more cutting it back to its simplest form to suggest a million to spend across a lifetime wasn't masses, if that's all your relying on and depending on your age.

I don't like him going there, but as far as appointments go it probably makes more sense than anyone else going there, given that he has shown a willingness to manage all over the world. He's talked about having an interest to get back into coaching in the past and from the sounds of it, he has not had many offers at all. It'd be different if his inbox was filled with offers, but given that it clearly wasn't I think it's more likely than other moves to Saudi that this is genuinely in the interest of progressing his career, and whilst he's no doubt getting paid a pretty penny for it, it's a bit different to a Neves, Benzema or Kante, who would have had plenty of other opportunities.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: June 30, 2023, 10:12:43 am »

In his particular case though, he stopped going due to Ashley and when he got his dream of him leaving, it was a despotic regime who took them over, meaning he cannot return to SJP, as he will not support that regime.
Jurgen YNWA

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: June 30, 2023, 10:22:41 am »
In his particular case though, he stopped going due to Ashley and when he got his dream of him leaving, it was a despotic regime who took them over, meaning he cannot return to SJP, as he will not support that regime.

Yeah.  It was proper shite that.

I guess it would've been like us kicking out the two twats, and then getting a sportswasher in their place.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: June 30, 2023, 10:31:03 am »
In retrospect it’s slightly amazing that that *didn’t* happen. £200m for an actual elite club. How fortunate that it wasn’t quite clear enough that the City project was going to work, so there wasn’t a queue yet to get a piece of the action.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: June 30, 2023, 12:38:20 pm »
Fowler can fuck right off.  What a prick.

He's already shown beyond any reasonable doubt that he's a crap manager and he's not taken charge of a second division Saudi Arabian side to relaunch his career.  It's just a jolly and a few more million in the bank for a lad that's already raking it in from being a landlord.

Still, it lets Al-Qadsiah put out tweets like this:
Robbie Fowler. One of the most famous players in Liverpool and the English Premier League. Coach for Qadisiyah.

Offline KlurgenJopp

• Main Stander
« Reply #265 on: June 30, 2023, 02:03:42 pm »
Give him a break, he only owns 100 properties and is really struggling with the cost of living.
TWICE! TWIIICE!! TWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!!!

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: June 30, 2023, 02:04:14 pm »
Fowler can fuck right off.  What a prick.

He's already shown beyond any reasonable doubt that he's a crap manager and he's not taken charge of a second division Saudi Arabian side to relaunch his career.  It's just a jolly and a few more million in the bank for a lad that's already raking it in from being a landlord.

Still, it lets Al-Qadsiah put out tweets like this:

Massive arsehole. Fuck him i hope he fails miserably
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: June 30, 2023, 02:21:59 pm »
Vardy tells Saudis to "Do one!"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jun/29/jamie-vardy-rejects-saudi-arabia-move-after-interest-from-khaleej-fc
How could he realistically move there with that creature he's married to?, she'd have them both beheaded inside a week.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #269 on: June 30, 2023, 02:23:20 pm »
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #270 on: June 30, 2023, 02:25:38 pm »
How could he realistically move there with that creature he's married to?, she'd have them both beheaded inside a week.

Chat shit, get hanged.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: June 30, 2023, 02:26:48 pm »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: June 30, 2023, 02:28:35 pm »
Chat shit, get hanged.
Lovely stuff.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: June 30, 2023, 02:31:53 pm »
Chat shit, get hanged.
You have to say that’s magnificent.
I don't like him going there, but as far as appointments go it probably makes more sense than anyone else going there, given that he has shown a willingness to manage all over the world. He's talked about having an interest to get back into coaching in the past and from the sounds of it, he has not had many offers at all. It'd be different if his inbox was filled with offers, but given that it clearly wasn't I think it's more likely than other moves to Saudi that this is genuinely in the interest of progressing his career, and whilst he's no doubt getting paid a pretty penny for it, it's a bit different to a Neves, Benzema or Kante, who would have had plenty of other opportunities.
That’s fair, actually. Just had a look at his CV and it’s a lot less busy than I’d thought - big gap there in the 2010s.

Online Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #274 on: June 30, 2023, 02:40:21 pm »

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #275 on: June 30, 2023, 02:46:47 pm »
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #276 on: June 30, 2023, 02:47:30 pm »
If it wasn't for Liverpool I'd be long gone away from football by now. I expect it's like that for many people.

It's ironic that the socialism represented by Liverpool that got me into football a long time ago is the actual value keeping me in this grotesque capitalist farce.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #277 on: June 30, 2023, 02:56:49 pm »
Chat shit, get hanged.

Haha fucking hell.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: June 30, 2023, 03:02:02 pm »
Chat shit, get hanged.

Shut it down now, the whole thing, nothing is topping that

Fucking phenomenal  :lmao

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: June 30, 2023, 03:02:53 pm »