Author Topic: The Klopp Template  (Read 1076238 times)

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Klopp Template
« Reply #4040 on: January 12, 2020, 12:37:10 pm »
Hear Mourinho saying he'd been working with his team on defending throw ins? 

It was a nice goal.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4041 on: January 12, 2020, 12:42:27 pm »
Klopp has achieved that one crucial aspect of a winning team: we no longer need massive, wholesale changes or a major overhaul.

Between canny forays into the transfer market and the quality of our young players on the cusp of the first team,  we don't need to splurge in the transfer market and spend money like its going out of fashion. One or two players a season should cover it from now on. Statement signings no longer required.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #4042 on: January 12, 2020, 12:46:29 pm »
Got it off the LFC reddit, win percentages by season

15/16: 44.2% - 52 matches

16/17: 57.4% - 47 matches

17/18: 55.4% - 56 matches

18/19: 71.7% - 53 matches

19/20: 88.2% - 34 matches (so far)

Data is for all competitions.

Shows the clear progress year on year, even if you think this year would be a statistical outlier
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4043 on: January 14, 2020, 10:40:07 am »
Neil Atkinson on The Anfield Wrap shows is mooting the idea that we've taken Burnley's set up (that made their keepers look disproportionally good in stats) and applied it to elite level. In the discussion, they're suggesting that the kind of statistical modelling shown by Tim Waskett on the Royal Institution Xmas Lectures is applied in coaching to systematically reduce shot quality from opposing sides.

It reminded me of this over a decade ago, highlighting when basketball started getting its head around more complex in game analytics to find out why certain seemingly unfashionable players were actually amazingly effective.
https://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/magazine/15Battier-t.html
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #4044 on: January 14, 2020, 11:17:02 am »
Klopp has achieved that one crucial aspect of a winning team: we no longer need massive, wholesale changes or a major overhaul.

Between canny forays into the transfer market and the quality of our young players on the cusp of the first team,  we don't need to splurge in the transfer market and spend money like its going out of fashion. One or two players a season should cover it from now on. Statement signings no longer required.

It is so good it is almost beyond my imagination as a football fan. I always wanted us to have 3 or 4 great transfer windows in a row and now that has pretty much become the norm. But also what it seems to be is not just signing the right players but Klopp also seems to understand them better once they arrive. Great example is Salah taking up good central positions in his first pre-season, and therefore we used his scoring ability and unlocked a player who had never dreamed of getting 40 goals in one season before. Another great example is Sadio Mane, who always had periods of inconsistency at Southampton. We have turned him into a team playing machine, hell-bent on helping out; both as a goal-scorer (of key goals too) and a defensive stalwart, in the Ian Rush tradition. There are outstanding coaching stories all over the pitch. I don't have the knowledge or brain to comprehend it all yet but surely there will be books written about the mentality, psychology and fitness regimes of Jurgen Klopp and his team of coaches/physios.

We can but bask in the glory and in a modern new way, we return to a certain perch...
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #4045 on: January 14, 2020, 01:11:49 pm »
Neil Atkinson on The Anfield Wrap shows is mooting the idea that we've taken Burnley's set up (that made their keepers look disproportionally good in stats) and applied it to elite level. In the discussion, they're suggesting that the kind of statistical modelling shown by Tim Waskett on the Royal Institution Xmas Lectures is applied in coaching to systematically reduce shot quality from opposing sides.

It reminded me of this over a decade ago, highlighting when basketball started getting its head around more complex in game analytics to find out why certain seemingly unfashionable players were actually amazingly effective.
https://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/magazine/15Battier-t.html

Remember reading that article about Battier when it was written, well worth a first read for anyone who hasn't...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline pistolpete

• Kopite
« Reply #4046 on: January 15, 2020, 11:34:05 am »
Are you talking about this one? https://tribuna.com/en/liverpoolfc/news/3433391/ "Jurgen Klopp called upon professional surfer to battle team stress"
Thanks mate, been searching for that everywhere!
siempre es possible

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #4047 on: January 15, 2020, 01:05:43 pm »
Are you talking about this one? https://tribuna.com/en/liverpoolfc/news/3433391/ "Jurgen Klopp called upon professional surfer to battle team stress"

“F-E-A-R has two meanings: Forget everything and run or Face everything and rise — the choice is yours.”

Honestly, I think we choose the first one... all over the pitch...

Offline reeop

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4048 on: January 15, 2020, 04:48:11 pm »
Brilliant read on how Klopp came about in fostering "Mentality Monsters". He has the unique knack of leading teams through painful failures to greater height (which one could argue was a strength of Ferguson as well) in a way that neither Mourinho nor Pep have proved given their limited lifespans at each of their clubs. It bode wells for our mid-term ~5 years future and team/player transitions!

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2020/01/15/how-jurgen-klopps-focus-on-psychology-has-evolved-liverpools-players-into-mentality-monsters/

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #4049 on: January 15, 2020, 05:55:25 pm »
Got it off the LFC reddit, win percentages by season

15/16: 44.2% - 52 matches

16/17: 57.4% - 47 matches

17/18: 55.4% - 56 matches

18/19: 71.7% - 53 matches

19/20: 88.2% - 34 matches (so far)

Data is for all competitions.

Shows the clear progress year on year, even if you think this year would be a statistical outlier
20/21: 100% - 5x matches
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4050 on: January 17, 2020, 07:12:05 am »
German engineering is often talked about, in fact- it is revered around the world.
This team is an example of German engineering at its best. Think about German teams that have won the World Cup- efficient, relentless, mentally and physically superior.
This team is made in Germany, by a German and conforms to German standards of best design in the world.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #4051 on: January 17, 2020, 07:42:21 am »
German engineering is often talked about, in fact- it is revered around the world.
This team is an example of German engineering at its best. Think about German teams that have won the World Cup- efficient, relentless, mentally and physically superior.
This team is made in Germany, by a German and conforms to German standards of best design in the world.

Gehen gehen gehen

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4052 on: January 25, 2020, 05:59:37 pm »
Anyone with any tactical insight want to explain our formation switch(es) for the second half against Wolves? And does Minamino's arrival create other options in how we set up?

It looked like we shuffled a few formations in the second half, coming out in a 4-4-2 with Ox left, Mina right and Bobby and Mo up front. Does this indicate a shift in set-up? Or just a one-off responding to Mina's first half showings? What thinks RAWK?

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #4053 on: January 25, 2020, 10:23:21 pm »
Brilliant read on how Klopp came about in fostering "Mentality Monsters". He has the unique knack of leading teams through painful failures to greater height (which one could argue was a strength of Ferguson as well) in a way that neither Mourinho nor Pep have proved given their limited lifespans at each of their clubs. It bode wells for our mid-term ~5 years future and team/player transitions!

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2020/01/15/how-jurgen-klopps-focus-on-psychology-has-evolved-liverpools-players-into-mentality-monsters/
Or we are fucked next season as we have forgotten what not winning feels like.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #4054 on: January 26, 2020, 12:59:09 am »

It was their golden generation that was pieced together by a good national coach.

Whilst ours were fucked by Sven and then by Capello with favouritism and can’t give a fuck about England other than the money.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #4055 on: January 26, 2020, 02:55:56 am »
I think Capello was on the right track atleast. Then came Hodge and despite dreadful performances in 3 major tournaments, surprisingly didn't get sacked and whatever was left of the golden generation was wasted away.

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4056 on: January 26, 2020, 04:52:16 am »

I think the more challenging and interesting aspect is how he manages a new team from this one in the future. Its perhaps not so much who is brought in, but knowing when to let a player go.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4057 on: January 26, 2020, 07:06:10 am »
I think the more challenging and interesting aspect is how he manages a new team from this one in the future. Its perhaps not so much who is brought in, but knowing when to let a player go.

That was what he talked about on extending his contract. The signing of replacements can be said to be a team effort, but he's taking personal responsibility for letting the current stalwarts go. The current front 3, the stars of the team, will all have gone by the time Klopp calls it a day. There may be one or two remaining veterans in the same age group for the next manager (Alisson and Van Dijk?), but the bulk of the transition will be done by Klopp.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #4058 on: January 26, 2020, 10:10:26 am »
That was what he talked about on extending his contract. The signing of replacements can be said to be a team effort, but he's taking personal responsibility for letting the current stalwarts go. The current front 3, the stars of the team, will all have gone by the time Klopp calls it a day. There may be one or two remaining veterans in the same age group for the next manager (Alisson and Van Dijk?), but the bulk of the transition will be done by Klopp.

I am still hoping and expecting he'll sign on for 3-5 more years after that which gets him to 60-62 years in age (around the time where he'd maybe retire from club football). Only thing I can see causing him to leave is if Germany need him direly for the national team. I think he'll do the full rebuild by that time and the next manager can walk into a well oiled machine again.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4059 on: January 27, 2020, 03:55:42 pm »
Anyone with any tactical insight want to explain our formation switch(es) for the second half against Wolves? And does Minamino's arrival create other options in how we set up?

It looked like we shuffled a few formations in the second half, coming out in a 4-4-2 with Ox left, Mina right and Bobby and Mo up front. Does this indicate a shift in set-up? Or just a one-off responding to Mina's first half showings? What thinks RAWK?

It was based on what we had available and what Wolves were using against us.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4060 on: January 28, 2020, 10:30:28 pm »
It looked to me like Minamino started his involvement in the match from the left as a direct replacement for Mané. Klopp mentioned post-match that he felt his calf within moments of coming on, so my theory is that he changed the shape and moved Minamino out to the right because Wolves’ two right-sided players, Doherty and Traore, were always going to be more of a problem for us as the game wore on. It was better to have Oxlade-Chamberlain out there for when we need to go backwards than someone who was essentially a debutant who had picked up a slight knock in the first half.

The other benefit to playing Minamino on our right-hand side in the second half was that he spent the majority of his match playing along the same side as where our supporters were situated. That probably sounds like a bit of a reach and I could just be rambling after work but I’m sure it would have been easier for him.

There was maybe a want from Klopp to get Firmino and Salah closer to each other in Mané’s absence, but I think his teams play in such close proximity to one another anyway that the difference in space between them in both halves probably ended up being fairly negligible. Nevertheless, changing the shape to deal with a tough opposition with a unique style of play coupled with bringing our two most dangerous players into more central starting positions just seemed like the common sense thing to do in my opinion.

Looking forward to hearing more from you. Welcome aboard the good train rawk.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4061 on: January 28, 2020, 11:01:05 pm »
It was based on what we had available and what Wolves were using against us.

Pretty rare for Klopp to do that though, no? Especially when he had Origi on the bench who has played most of his minutes in Mane's position the last 2 seasons.

It looked to me like Minamino started his involvement in the match from the left as a direct replacement for Mané. Klopp mentioned post-match that he felt his calf within moments of coming on, so my theory is that he changed the shape and moved Minamino out to the right because Wolves’ two right-sided players, Doherty and Traore, were always going to be more of a problem for us as the game wore on. It was better to have Oxlade-Chamberlain out there for when we need to go backwards than someone who was essentially a debutant who had picked up a slight knock in the first half.

The other benefit to playing Minamino on our right-hand side in the second half was that he spent the majority of his match playing along the same side as where our supporters were situated. That probably sounds like a bit of a reach and I could just be rambling after work but I’m sure it would have been easier for him.

There was maybe a want from Klopp to get Firmino and Salah closer to each other in Mané’s absence, but I think his teams play in such close proximity to one another anyway that the difference in space between them in both halves probably ended up being fairly negligible. Nevertheless, changing the shape to deal with a tough opposition with a unique style of play coupled with bringing our two most dangerous players into more central starting positions just seemed like the common sense thing to do in my opinion.

That seems about right, cheers!

(DeFacto could've tried a little bit harder, let's be honest  ;D)

Where do we think Mina will end up? Personally see his main threat being his running from deep, it really messed with our shape when we played Salz, and as such would put him in the midfield 3, so I've been surprised to see him have nearly all his minutes in the front 3.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #4062 on: January 28, 2020, 11:35:31 pm »
Where do we think Mina will end up?

Right back

😀
We are Liverpool!

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #4063 on: January 29, 2020, 04:15:48 am »
Mina who? The pop star or the porn star? Either way, she'll end up probably on the screen.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4064 on: January 29, 2020, 09:14:16 am »
Gini, Lallana & The Science Behind Liverpoo'ls Success | The Newsroom w/ David Maddock | PART 1

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/aYhirBxsoTI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/aYhirBxsoTI</a>

Fascinating take on the evolution of the team and the methods employed at the club in the search for even more improvement. I found it interesting that they are looking into Particle Physics to help with tactical analysis.

https://www.bigdatabelfast.com/william-spearman

The video also references an interesting Podcast by MIT.

https://sloanreview.mit.edu/audio/talent-versus-teamwork/
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 10:41:50 am by Yosser0_0 »
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #4065 on: January 29, 2020, 10:29:01 am »
Gini, Lallana & The Science Behind Liverpoo'ls Success | The Newsroom w/ David Maddock | PART 1

Fascinating take on the evolution of the team and the methods employed at the club in the search for even more improvement. I found it interesting that they are looking into Particle Physics to help with tactical analysis.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/780jFjPxGcHiwwg5PJEVHx
For those without spotify accounts like myself:

A book was mentioned in that, "Thinking Fast & Slow", which i have in the house and found too dense and dry to enjoy. Perhaps I'll have another crack at it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 11:04:40 am by markedasred »
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4066 on: January 29, 2020, 03:20:55 pm »
''They club will offer him a new contract.

The key was not that, but that he’s approaching 30-years-old. When Liverpool are looking at contracts, they reward contracts for performance – but they also look at potential sell-on. But the fact is at 30-years-old, you give one more contract, you get nothing for it.

You have to be sure that when you give that player a contract, it works. If you give him a five year contract, is he going to go on until he’s 35?

I suspect they’re talking to him about length, not money. They’ll give him the right money.''

Maddock [who I don't particularly like] but at least it's positive news on Wijnaldum

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #4067 on: January 29, 2020, 03:46:33 pm »

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/aYhirBxsoTI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/aYhirBxsoTI</a>

This is absolutely immense, thanks for posting. I also hadn't realised Maddock was this clued in and articulate, must have escaped me as not a Daily Mirror reader.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4068 on: January 29, 2020, 04:48:14 pm »

That looks quality will listen to that later. Thanks.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #4069 on: January 29, 2020, 10:51:23 pm »
Logical progression of our attacking tactics will be to start kicking the ball over our goal line to give the other team a corner.

;)

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #4070 on: January 29, 2020, 11:30:04 pm »
Logical progression of our attacking tactics will be to start kicking the ball over our goal line to give the other team a corner.

;)

;D The opposition will soon stop bringing anyone forward for them but instead will all stay in their own half. Except for the poor bugger who takes the corner by tapping it back into play and then legging it back to defend as fast as his legs can carry him.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4071 on: January 29, 2020, 11:30:10 pm »
Yosser #4068

That is brilliant - thanks for posting - I hardly ever read Maddock but that will change now.
I particularly found the development of centre halves interesting and the management of contracts and injuries, the MIT analysis of how team-work develops. And of course the brilliance of the manager in being able to use all of this data and how he simplifies and drills the new players (and how long it can take). And of what a great season Salah is having and how delighted Klopp is with him. In fact all of it - good stuff

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #4072 on: February 1, 2020, 05:27:48 pm »
This is an animation of our midfield:

Henod-Gini are the spring that gives the energy, Bobby is the anchor, and Mane-Salah are the anchor wheel that does the final job.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #4073 on: February 2, 2020, 09:46:26 pm »
This is absolutely immense, thanks for posting. I also hadn't realised Maddock was this clued in and articulate, must have escaped me as not a Daily Mirror reader.

Me too. Very impressive. Thanks for posting.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4074 on: February 11, 2020, 08:18:43 pm »
https://tomkinstimes.com/2020/02/how-liverpool-can-dominate-in-all-game-states/

Sorry for spamming two threads but it seems relevant. :)

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4075 on: February 11, 2020, 08:53:35 pm »
https://tomkinstimes.com/2020/02/how-liverpool-can-dominate-in-all-game-states/

Sorry for spamming two threads but it seems relevant. :)

A brilliant, brilliant article that backs up and explains everything I've been seeing throughout the season.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4076 on: February 11, 2020, 10:54:32 pm »
A brilliant, brilliant article that backs up and explains everything I've been seeing throughout the season.
Be interesting to see his spreadsheet. Given we are comfortably top 4 based on anything you like. I'd suggest probability for us winning any game are around 75percent. If you want to say we draw that specific game, then maybe the number he quoted is more reasonable. If you allow for one draw anywhere that changes things. Moreso if that draw can be a draw or win! Also is the head to head right? I thought that came in after gd , and I think still behind goals for.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4077 on: February 11, 2020, 11:51:32 pm »
That is a ridiculously good read.

I was grinning reading that, especially the part about lulling teams into a false of security then punishing them, 16 goals scored in the 25-45 minutes must be soul destroying for teams going in at HT, we are beating teams physically and draining them mentally.

What a team we are witnessing right now, absolute red machine that can go through the gears seamlessly and slowly crush teams like they are cans.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4078 on: February 12, 2020, 01:52:55 am »
^ Yes great read thanks for posting - so much to comment on but I love the analysis of our expected goals - and real goal difference - at the different game states. Superb stuff.

... no matter the game state, Liverpool are mentally thrashing you. It’s not luck, it’s not the bounce of the ball and it’s not VAR. ...

Offline aussie_ox

• Main Stander
  • LFC Blood Red all the way
« Reply #4079 on: February 12, 2020, 03:07:45 am »
Great read.   One side of the game that is underrated is the mentality side.  XG may give a score of 0.8 for a striker one on one with Allison but big Virgil chasing him down and big Al looming large realistically makes that a harder chance than the XG suggests. 
Klopp that!