Author Topic: BT Sport  (Read 184494 times)

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: BT Sport - home of the Champions League
« Reply #840 on: February 16, 2014, 08:40:30 pm »
They're both tossers, and both communicate solely via the medium of worn-out footballing cliches. Andy Gray doesn't sound like he's on mogadon, which trumps Owen in one way but they're both entertainment-free, personality vacuums. 

Just for his shitty behaviour at Sky, Gray should be off limits for any TV channel.

I disagree, I think Gray is one of the best co-commentators about. He actually does know what he's talking about and isnt biased to anyone. He actually said the no penalty today was 'assault and a stick on' several times ;D

Plus, 'AWWW YAAA BEAUTY' will be forever ingrained into my memory.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #841 on: February 16, 2014, 09:58:55 pm »
i dont understand the hate Andy gets, i think he's an excellent commentator

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #842 on: February 16, 2014, 10:00:03 pm »
Andy Gray is a quality commentator. Actually talks with a sense of intelligence. Horrible man he may be, you can't deny his commentating skills.

Offline dublinred101

• Thread closer.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quasimoto
« Reply #843 on: February 16, 2014, 10:02:53 pm »
Andy gray unreal commentator.
Mosquito

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #844 on: February 16, 2014, 10:10:26 pm »
i dont understand the hate Andy gets, i think he's an excellent commentator
It's quite blatant why he's hated on though.

Far better commentator than Owen though.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #845 on: February 16, 2014, 10:13:41 pm »
i dont understand the hate Andy gets
Er, what?

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #846 on: February 16, 2014, 11:16:41 pm »
I don't particularly care what he's done as long as he replaces Micheal Owen.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #847 on: February 16, 2014, 11:24:48 pm »

And that's the attitude which has got him back to where he is.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #848 on: February 16, 2014, 11:41:37 pm »
And that's the attitude which has got him back to where he is.
If you can do your job and you are not a criminal, then there us little that can stop you. He is very good at he's the does.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #849 on: February 17, 2014, 12:00:32 am »
Quite right, he's an inspiration to sexist morons everywhere isn't he.

For Fucks sake.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #850 on: February 17, 2014, 12:01:44 am »

Stop being an idiot.  You know what he's done and yet you're happy to let him get away with it?.

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #851 on: February 17, 2014, 12:09:31 am »
Today I had to listen to Clarke Carlisle making Everton sound like Real Madrid. Micheal Owen uses more cliches than you can shake a stick at, even Gary Neville has been awful this year trying to make everything sound not as bad as it seems at United. Martin Tyler has gone from bearable to a complete shitstirrer in the last couple of years. How do these people get on tv? Gray was on today and I will happily admit it was a nice change to not hear someone talking absolute shite for once.

I'm sorry if that makes me appear as if I have no moral compass. Personally if there was an option to disable commentary altogether I would use it.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline KUNGFUDANCER

• boring wum who thinks La Liga is on a par with the Scottish Premier League... clueless too... don't bother arguing with me because it will just make your head hurt...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #852 on: February 17, 2014, 12:10:34 am »
Stop being an idiot.  You know what he's done and yet you're happy to let him get away with it?.
Gray has done his time, what he said he can't be punished for life.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 01:01:15 am by KUNGFUDANCER »

Offline Rojo O Muerto

• Legacy Fan
  • LGTBQIA2S+
« Reply #853 on: February 17, 2014, 12:25:44 am »
Back like a boss. Get in you beauty.
If you can't support us when we're shartin', don't support us when we're fartin'

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #854 on: February 17, 2014, 12:33:06 am »
His absence has only enhanced his "reputation". In the future he'll look back at it as a blessing in disguise, I'm sure. He and Keys got a radio show and had a bit of a niche audience and people claimed how good they were and how they should never have been sacked, merely months after they were fired from Sky.

If you look at him in isolation, as a commentator and football man, then yes he's better than most of the dross out there. Firstly he's a huge fan of the game and that is expressed in his commentary. Secondly he's a voice many have grown up with over the past 2 decades or so and he and Tyler did strike up a good rapport together. Recently though Tyler has become incredibly insufferable and no longer tries to shield his bias. Gary Neville is very knowledgeable and I do like him but he doesn't seem to have that "Hollywood" feel about him, if that is the right term. Gray could make a dross 0-0 draw that bit more entertaining just by his commentary and I suppose that's what people have missed.

Here is the thing though. As much as I do like his commentary and some of his analysis, I simply cannot look at him or hear his voice without feeling a little bit sick inside. What he and Keys said was not friendly "banter", it wasn't just a bit of fun with female colleagues. They insulted a very good professional in Sian Massey in a misogynistic tone and in other videos they intimidated, and you could say harassed, other female colleagues at Sky. It's just not acceptable.

He's been allowed back into the fold because he's a familiar voice and he's good at his job. If it was Jon Champion or even Micheal Owen who had said those things then that would be their media career over, full stop. The hypocrisy is what makes it so funny.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #855 on: February 17, 2014, 01:07:58 am »

What should be his punishment, to never get a job again?

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #856 on: February 17, 2014, 08:26:52 am »
Andy Gray is a quality commentator. Actually talks with a sense of intelligence. Horrible man he may be, you can't deny his commentating skills.

I can. He makes some good points sometimes but he gets too wrapped up in his own opinions and is often unable to accept an alternate point of view. Usually to the point of making it sound like managers (unlike Gray) don't know what they're doing.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #857 on: February 17, 2014, 10:05:44 am »
Come on it was pub banter that wasn't meant to be heard by millions of people everywhere, pretty sure loads of blokes have said something derogatery about a woman for a laugh with a mate doesn't make them all sexist morons 

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #858 on: February 17, 2014, 10:16:10 am »
I like Andy Gray's commentary. Understand why people dont like him as a person, but he has apologised and he lost his job over it.

Some people may want to keep a grudge, but that's up to them. Better than Owen.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #859 on: February 17, 2014, 10:19:01 am »
It was good to hear him again to be honest. Still top of the pile for me

And his obvious admiration for gerrard must annoy the evertonians
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:23:40 am by Clayton Bigsby »

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #860 on: February 17, 2014, 10:20:20 am »
Come on it was pub banter that wasn't meant to be heard by millions of people everywhere, pretty sure loads of blokes have said something derogatery about a woman for a laugh with a mate doesn't make them all sexist morons 

To be fair I've seen a couple of blokes make this mistake, within ear shot of partner of the female. It was pretty violent, and wasn't pretty.

Offline hollger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #861 on: February 17, 2014, 10:45:55 am »

Whilst this is true to an extent - I'd say that any man who says they've not said something that isn't blatantly sexist (or at least something that's borderline) is probably lying.

The difference is, you should know that you really shouldn't be behaving in the way they were at work. A 'pub atmosphere' with alcohol is completely different to a place where you should be professional. The saying "their only mistake was getting caught" can't really apply because they shouldn't have been behaving in this way - and the most recent clip (whistling and singing at the lady who's name I forget) was absolutely appalling.

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #862 on: February 17, 2014, 02:25:03 pm »
Meh there will always be differance of opinion, it just comes down to tolerance and what you take offence to I guess.

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #863 on: February 17, 2014, 02:26:16 pm »
For instance if we were talking about Ron Atkinson right now my posts would be entirely different   ;)

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #864 on: February 17, 2014, 02:36:01 pm »
Anyone expressing anything other than absolute hatred of Andy Gray and everything he does should be immediately arrested and charged under the auspices of Operation Yewtree. It is a perversion.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #865 on: February 17, 2014, 02:39:05 pm »
Michael Owen is/was probably the worst co-commentator ever
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #866 on: February 17, 2014, 02:41:40 pm »
Owen just talks too much. Needs to learn when to say nothing. The golden rule for any commentator should be to say nothing unless they are adding to the viewer's enjoyment or understanding. Far too many of them (Gray and Owen included) are just way too fond of the sound of their own voices.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #867 on: February 17, 2014, 02:43:02 pm »
I would say Gary Neville is currently the best football broadcaster on UK television.

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #868 on: February 17, 2014, 02:46:29 pm »
I would say Gary Neville is currently the best football broadcaster on UK television.

As much as I hated him when he first started out I've grown to like him, he's not even biased about his own team anymore and his banter with Carragher makes MNF

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #869 on: February 17, 2014, 03:42:29 pm »
For instance if we were talking about Ron Atkinson right now my posts would be entirely different   ;)

Haha, nobody is springing to Ron's defence.  What's weird, is thant Andy Gray is absolutely 100% misogynistic, but has his defenders, while at the same time I'm guessing we cant conclusively assume Big Ron was racist?

In Star Trek, we had a black captian before a female captain.  In US politics we've had a black President before a female President.  The problem with sexism, is that there will always be differences in between men and women's natures. Contrast that with racism, where there is no diffference between the nature of a black man (or woman) and that of a white man (or woman).

On on the matter of BT Sport- how is that that is still cheaper for me to add BT Sport to Sky Sports package, than to add Sky Sports to my BT package?  They cannot get my broadband custom until they are cheaper than sky for the whole Phone/Broadband/TV/Sports package.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #870 on: February 17, 2014, 04:11:38 pm »

Interesting.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #871 on: February 17, 2014, 04:38:47 pm »
Big fan of Danny Murphy as a pundit.......has his own opinions, articulate but not too verbose and has a pleasing broadcasting voice.....very underused by the BBC when you consider the talking heads they employ - Shearer, Bright, Dublin, Keown, Savage etc etc who are all stealing a living...

btw, whose idea at the BBC was it to fuck Alan Green's 606 off in favour of Ian Wright and Kelly Cates?....if there's a more uninspired, bland waste of an hour on radio I haven't heard it......its become the absolute antithesis of what Danny Baker had in mind when he legged it down the patent office
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #872 on: February 17, 2014, 04:42:18 pm »
As much as I hated him when he first started out I've grown to like him, he's not even biased about his own team anymore and his banter with Carragher makes MNF

What about when Fulham equalized and all he could say was "Oh dear"?  ;D

It was all fine and dandy when Utd were pissing the league last year, but he's showing his true colours this season.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #873 on: February 17, 2014, 04:43:09 pm »
Big fan of Danny Murphy as a pundit.......has his own opinions, articulate but not too verbose and has a pleasing broadcasting voice.....very underused by the BBC when you consider the talking heads they employ - Shearer, Bright, Dublin, Keown, Savage etc etc who are all stealing a living...

I kind of agree but then my opinion of him is tainted by his views towards a former manager of ours.

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #874 on: February 17, 2014, 07:28:10 pm »
Fucking hell, can't believe the amount of self righteousness on this thread.

Gray did something stupid. He got punished for it. Are the same people arguing against Gray being back on TV also against Suarez getting player of the year as he made mistakes in the past?

Gray is a million times better than the likes of Michael Owen etc.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #875 on: February 17, 2014, 07:32:39 pm »
He's certainly better as co comentator than as a presenter. We get him here in the Middle East as a presenter.

Absolutely woeful. So is Keys. Still as anti Rafa as ever. Last week he said Houllier got a lot closer to the tile than Benitez did, live on TV (Houllier's best season we finished 2nd 7 points away from top as opposed to Rafa's 4).

The fucker is unreal.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #876 on: February 17, 2014, 07:55:37 pm »
Fucking hell, can't believe the amount of self righteousness on this thread.

Gray did something stupid. He got punished for it. Are the same people arguing against Gray being back on TV also against Suarez getting player of the year as he made mistakes in the past?

Gray is a million times better than the likes of Michael Owen etc.
Agree. People acting like he insulted all their mothers personally.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #877 on: February 17, 2014, 09:10:57 pm »
In terms of ability, Andy Gray is now very well rivalled by other pundits who have come through the ranks and seemingly without the bad atmosphere. Co-commentators still seems an area he is unchallenged in, everyone else seems to struggle with it whereas he seems to naturally fill that role.

Since his exposure happened in Feb 2011 (I think?) it does seem rather early to come back from that. I am for giving someone a second chance but even leaving aside the short time, 1) BT seems to be trying to sneak him in which makes me uneasy. 2) I haven't noted signs of repentance or lessons learned. If Gray had been doing something to try and make up for it or notable signs of changing or BT came out and said "We want to hire Andy Gray. We know what he did and we know why it upsets people. We have talked to Gray a lot, thought long and hard but we believe..." and explained their decision, I would be far more comfortable with this.

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #878 on: February 17, 2014, 09:16:08 pm »
In terms of ability, Andy Gray is now very well rivalled by other pundits who have come through the ranks and seemingly without the bad atmosphere. Co-commentators still seems an area he is unchallenged in, everyone else seems to struggle with it whereas he seems to naturally fill that role.

Since his exposure happened in Feb 2011 (I think?) it does seem rather early to come back from that. I am for giving someone a second chance but even leaving aside the short time, 1) BT seems to be trying to sneak him in which makes me uneasy. 2) I haven't noted signs of repentance or lessons learned. If Gray had been doing something to try and make up for it or notable signs of changing or BT came out and said "We want to hire Andy Gray. We know what he did and we know why it upsets people. We have talked to Gray a lot, thought long and hard but we believe..." and explained their decision, I would be far more comfortable with this.
By who may I ask? Just out of interest, personally I think all of them have their own faults that make them insufferable.

Offline jameshay

• Kopite
« Reply #879 on: February 17, 2014, 09:34:34 pm »

i'd agree he is a great broadcaster.

Not a great commentator for me. He may become one, but right now I would far rather have him in the studio.
poetry in motion