Author Topic: Spyin' Kop: Manchester United (Away)  (Read 11733 times)

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
Spyin' Kop: Manchester United (Away)
« on: March 22, 2008, 01:40:14 pm »
Liverpool v Manchester United
Sunday March 23rd 2008
1.30pm Old Trafford
Referee: Steven Bennett

Sunday sees the Reds take a trip along the M62 to face Manchester United hot on the back of a 7 game winning run. United sit on top of the league with 3 points seperating them from Arsenal who's poor run of form has seen them stutter and let United get the upper hand.

We go their high in confidence and personally speaking I'm confident we can get a result. Preferably 1-0 with Torres scoring the winner, robbing Fred the shithouse in the process (good move about backing out of your £100k Torres/Tevez bet).

Once again, we're joined by Marc and Phil to answer the questions and help us preview the game. Lets hope the game isn't as dull as previous meetings.

Spyin' Kop: What do you make of your season so far?

Marc: So far, it's going well. We've managed to claw Arsenal back during their recent blip to the point that we're now in the driving seat in the league. The added favourites tag makes for a lot of nerves though and you have to wonder if that is too much weight on some very young shoulders. Last year was the first league win since 2003 and we have a lot of new personel since then, so the pressure wasn't on as much.

Now that we're in the position to retain a title, the pressure is that bit more. Players like Nani and Anderson are going to be key during the run in so we have to hope their first season sees them end strongly as both have been key in recent weeks with some of the old timers being off form. The FA Cup defeat was very disappointing as we played well, but we didn't take the chances and that's football.

The Champions League is less important than the league but our fans want to see us press on and show we're at the peak
of Europe as soon as possible and we have a fantastic chance this year.

Phil: Some great football, but too often hamstrung by the manager's inability to stop tinkering. 90% of United fans would agree on our best 11, but I'd be surprised if that team has played together more than half a dozen times this season.

Spyin' Kop: Who have been your best players?

Marc: The whole back four have played well this year. Brown has slotted in fantastically at RB, the Vidic/Rio partnership is looking the best mixture of muscle and ball playing in the league (if not Europe) at present and Evra has been on fantastic form, defensively and in attack.

Carrick is looking the player he was at Spurs now, showing more confidence on the ball and has been the midfield heartbeat of the team in recent months. Then there's Ronaldo, who is surely going to pick up Player of the Season across the board.

Phil: Ronaldo, Evra, Ferdinand, Anderson.

Spyin' Kop: Who have been your worst players?

Marc: At present, Giggs and Scholes look to be off the pace. Probably a mixture of age, injuries and not getting enough time on the pitch but football has no time for longing for the past, so they will have to accept lesser roles.

Phil: Fletcher, Giggs.

Spyin' Kop: How are your summer signings looking. Any change from when we last talked in December?

Marc: Well, he wasn't a summer signing but I called Carrick our worst player back in early December in the last Spyin' Kop and now I'm saying he's one of the most in form. Hopefully that keeps up. Hargreaves has fallen back due to lack of games, he just can't stay fit. Worrying. Since December, Anderson has really stepped up to the plate, including this fixture in December where he gave more experienced players a very tough time. He looks to be very promising but is still figuring out his best position.

Phil: Nani needs more games, he's still diving and making wrong decisions with his final pass. Hargreaves just needs games, we've seen his quality. Tevez is a grafter, and has a knack of nicking important goals, but if the reported £45 million fee at the end of his loan is accurate then he can go, he's just not that good. Anderson gets better and better, still a lot to learn though, but the signs are very promising.

Spyin' Kop: What did you make of the game at Anfield before Christmas?

Marc: The only thing that matters for this one is the result, which obviously went our way. It was a typically cagey game between the two with a bit of tension and a lack of real attacking flair. We contained Torres very well and that seemed to stiffled Liverpool a lot, but we also played Rooney quite deep which took a lot of our edge away. But yes, I was delighted when the whistle went.

Phil: Typical. Dour game, both teams afraid to lose, a draw would have been a fair result so I was ecstatic with the win.

Spyin' Kop: Are you going to win the title this season?
Marc: The bookies say we probably will. I don't predict until the maths is much more favourable.

Phil: In my opinion we're the best team in the League, so we should win it. We're also capable of throwing away a seemingly winning position in true United style.

Spyin' Kop: How do you like your chances in the European Cup this season?

Marc: The best in a long time but there are still so many quality teams left. Rafa has that knack of getting the job done in Europe, Barca have too much firepower to totally discount them, Chelsea and Arsenal are both excellent sides and Roma owe us one. All I'll say is that it's our best chance since '99.

Phil: I'll worry about the Cash Cup when the League Title is decided, if we're still in it.

Spyin' Kop: What do you think of our season?

Marc: It annoys me that you've turned out a good run as I was hoping you wouldn't get fourth, but I think you've done enough to make sure of that. Everton are a good team but I don't think they'll sustain the challenge, unless they win the derby. You could still nick third place, too, but I think second is just too far away given how the teams in front of you would have to capitulate for that to happen. Arsenal possibly, but Chelsea's squad is better than yours and has better history with finishing leagues strongly of late.

Phil: Torres has been a revelation, but as ever your League campaign was over in January.

Spyin' Kop: Any suggestions from an outsider to make towards where we're possibly going wrong?

Marc: I think you know that yourselves. Fullbacks, wingers, another striker and another creative midfielder wouldn't go astray. Maybe Alonso will flourish once more now that Mascherano will be handling the defensive duties, and that would be like a new signing for you.

Phil: Get rid of the Yanks. The Glazers will drive United into bankruptcy, it's only a matter of time. Get rid of Gillett and Hicks before they borrow hundreds of millions and load the debt onto your club. There's only one way these loans get paid, and that's from the fan's pockets. You have an advantage in that they have been seen at games, so keep making your feelings known, never let up, ever. Malcolm Glazer has never been to O.T., so we only ever got to have a go at his idiot sons. I despise your club, but I wish you all the luck in the world getting rid of your Yank scum, I wouldn't wish another Glazer fiasco on anyone, not even you lot.

Spyin' Kop: Does Torres and Gerrard, clicking the way they have scare you, seeing as there's doubt about Rio Ferdinand's participation?

Marc: They're obviously the main threat. Torres is a very good player on a very good run of form. Combine the two, and you've got a real player. He hasn't been so prolific away from home this season, so hopefully that will come into play. Gerrard will surely have more freedom to roam than he had in December, so he'll have to be monitored closely or we could suffer from one of his 30 yard strikes before we know it.

Phil: Doesn't scare me at all, if Ferguson picks the right team we'll win the game.

Spyin' Kop: And if Ferdinand is out (and also, is van der Sar back?), how do you expect to line up?

Marc: If Ferdinand is out, we'll probably shift Brown to CB and O'Shea or Hargreaves to RB, depending how he wants to handle the midfield. Hargreaves may be told to go and sit on Gerrard for 90 minutes, if he isn't in defence. Carrick and Anderson should start, they've been our best combination since December. Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney should start. He may go for Nani on the left, or maybe Fletcher and compact the midfield with Rooney drifting left. Guessing what Ferguson is going to do is an art in itself.

Phil: If Ferdinand is missing it'll be Brown and Vidic in the middle, obviously a much weaker pairing, so Anderson and Hargreaves will have to work harder to protect them.

Spyin' Kop: Care to make a prediction for the game?

Marc: I'll be as cagey at this as I was in December. 1-0 either way, 0-0 or 1-1. That's what the form books suggest so I'll stick with that.

Phil: Heart says 2 - 1, head says 1 - 1.

Spyin' Kop: Anything else to say?

Marc: You still wouldn't have won the league if you'd had Ronaldo, despite what I've read from some of you on RAWK.

Phil: I hope there's no mither off the pitch.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 07:37:51 pm by Pheeny »

Offline JoeK210185

• Legacy Fan
  • The Dirk-horse, Benno Magic
Re: Spyin' Kop: Manchester United (Away)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 01:46:21 pm »
Nice Nasty mancs eh?

Marc: You still wouldn't have won the league if you'd had Ronaldo, despite what I've read from some of you on RAWK.

But that just takes the biscuit
fuck u moyes you fucking bugeyed c*nt

YNWA
                              JFT96

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 01:46:27 pm »
Some fair answers there, to be honest.

Nice work Phil..  :wave

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 01:46:45 pm »
Nice one, Thanks !

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 01:48:43 pm »
Phil: Get rid of the Yanks. The Glazers will drive United into bankruptcy, it's only a matter of time. Get rid of Gillett and Hicks before they borrow hundreds of millions and load the debt onto your club. There's only one way these loans get paid, and that's from the fan's pockets. You have an advantage in that they have been seen at games, so keep making your feelings known, never let up, ever. Malcolm Glazer has never been to O.T., so we only ever got to have a go at his idiot sons. I despise your club, but I wish you all the luck in the world getting rid of your Yank scum, I wouldn't wish another Glazer fiasco on anyone, not even you lot.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Is the stand out answer for me.

A good read as always Phil, cheers.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Fulla

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 01:52:15 pm »
snooty little bastards aren't they?

we need "fullbacks, wingers and another striker and another creative midfielder" do we?!
"You don't play chess with Kasparov" - Juande Ramos, 25 Feb 2009

Offline JoeK210185

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 01:54:08 pm »

we need "fullbacks, wingers and another striker and another creative midfielder" do we?!

I'd say so, Maybe not a striker to an extent but 100% on winger and fullbacks

YNWA
                              JFT96

Offline Hubby

• Anny Roader
  • You lying bastards! Get out of our club!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 01:56:08 pm »
Fair enough

Offline Conde

• scendingly banned for being an arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 01:56:25 pm »
Cheeky c*nts, if we had ronaldo we would win the league but it doesnt matter what players they get, its there manager holding them back in Europe

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 01:56:42 pm »
Liverpool v Manchester United
Sunday March 23rd 2008
1.30pm Old Trafford
Referee: Steven Bennett

Wrong way round mate!

Good balanced read that.
Phil: Some great football, but too often hamstrung by the manager's inability to stop tinkering. 90% of United fans would agree on our best 11, but I'd be surprised if that team has played together more than half a dozen times this season.

I wonder what that would be? Brown at RB I imagine, Ronaldo Carrick/Hargreaves (?) Anderson and Nani across the middle?

Spyin' Kop: Anything else to say?

This I found odd tho. Babel Gerrard Ronaldo with Torres up front? Blimey it would make a hell of a lot of difference. Ronaldo's goals alone since the turn of the year has garnered 8 points, turning 4 potential draws into wins. If only we'd done that.

Offline JoeK210185

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 01:57:44 pm »
Or we could say,

'You wouldn't of won the league if you DIDNT have Ronado'

YNWA
                              JFT96

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 01:59:46 pm »
I put the badges in order of European Cups. And league titles.

Offline JoeK210185

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 02:01:22 pm »

:D Good save

YNWA
                              JFT96

Offline MarkML

• Kopite
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 02:01:33 pm »
45 mill for Tevez??? no way,that must be rumours,hes good but nowhere near as that good

Offline MarkML

• Kopite
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 02:04:16 pm »

if they'd 6 european cups(hahahahahah!) and we'd five you know their opinion would suddenly change.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 02:05:05 pm »
Good read but the bell makes out we need half a fucking team
when it's plainly a quater !

and they wouldn't be were they are now (redgie) if it wasn't for plassy man
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 02:10:40 pm »
Straightforward answers, nothing much until that rant over Glazer.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 02:16:19 pm »

We would have walked the league if we'd had Ronaldo....
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline Gedo

• Tube Blower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 02:17:13 pm »
45 mill for Tevez??? no way,that must be rumours,hes good but nowhere near as that good

They must be the same soft c*nts who said we paid £18m for Mascherano!

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 02:21:51 pm »

to be honest, they're pretty decent, considering they're mancs.

But yeh, that part was BS.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline skidz73

• Kind Kenny... what a gent...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't Drink and Post.
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2008, 02:37:49 pm »
So now Arsenal's squad is better than ours is it? No one said that at the start of the season.
By the way, I should tell you that I haven’t had a chance to shower while making my way up here, my balls are extra vinegary.

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• No longer counts double
  • Legacy Fan
  • i've been down so god damn long
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2008, 02:43:32 pm »
not bad from them.
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline Tim-Cross

• The Banner's 5th Beatle - And a Tit (by order of Reeves and ChrisR)
  • Legacy Fan
  • beware of big birds.
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2008, 02:53:31 pm »

Yes, we do

Certainly a left back, right midfield is not strong enough, and we need a player to break down those defences who come and park the bus. Width helps you do that.  Would agree we could do with a decent 2nd striker as if Torres was out we'd be fucked, Crouch isn't rated by Rafa and Kuyt and Voroin are certainly no good enough.
"Well, Liverpool haven't done much for a very long time but they can still remember.  And last night, they remembered, and the force of their memories was strong enough to bring the past to life"

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2008, 02:58:27 pm »
We wouldn't have won the league even with C Ronaldo in the team?

No, adding the topscorer in the league to our weakest position wouldn't mean a thing... Especially not considering the number of draws we have played. We're talking ~5 goals in the right games and we'd be top of the league.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2008, 03:01:59 pm »
Yes, we do

Certainly a left back, right midfield is not strong enough, and we need a player to break down those defences who come and park the bus. Width helps you do that.  Would agree we could do with a decent 2nd striker as if Torres was out we'd be fucked, Crouch isn't rated by Rafa and Kuyt and Voroin are certainly no good enough.

Depends really. Yes we do need a left back but at the speed Insua is progressing it may not be a new signing that's needed. But it's definitely a problem area. A new striker is important as you say in case Torres gets injured. And a new winger is vital.

But it's the way it's worded. Full backs and wingers and a striker. That's five players and I don't think we're five players away.

Reina

Finnan/Arbeloa
Carragher/Skrtel
Agger/Hyypia
?/Aurelio

Mascherano/Plessis
Alonso/Lucas

Kuyt/Pennant
Gerrard/Benayoun
Babel/?

Torres/?

That's 3 players. I think another couple could be helpful in addition but every title winning side has had weaknesses in its squad somewhere.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline gerrardspetal

• Rabid psycho nut harvester with no idea - but she did have some points
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2008, 03:07:53 pm »

:thumbup

just skipped through it but will read properly later. 
“You could say it’s not about being local, but about being vocal.
Kristian is a idiot.  A bad idiot.  Also a virgin.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2008, 03:10:02 pm »
Always enjoyable reads these, even if, as others have already pointed out, saying we wouldn't have won the league even with Ronaldo was a bit rich.

Bit of a side note but personally think we'd have been closer to the top with Agger not being out for so long. Besides being an excellent defender he is a strong link between defence and midfield. Can't really argue with the Ferdinand/Vidic pairing comments, but would like to think Agger and Skrtel will surpass it in the future.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline deadlybuzz

• Vuvuzela queen
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2008, 03:12:52 pm »
Nice read, very fair and not so biased. I enjoyed that, thanks Phil.
Ahh, pressing refresh and waiting for news... just like the bad old days.

Liverpool porn, this.

anyone who's negative can fuck off

Offline jamesone23

• Kopite
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2008, 03:31:03 pm »
Nice, weird hearing balanced commentary from them.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2008, 03:33:42 pm »
A decent read this one. Thanks to Mark and Phil for the answers and to Phil for putting it together.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline felix.

• easily impressed Baldrick Mark II
  • Legacy Fan
    • last.fm
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2008, 03:56:37 pm »
Weird seeing them so uninterested in the CL, I'd have thought that would have been a priority for them.
MOSES SAID COME FORTH
    BUT WE CAME FIRST

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2008, 03:59:25 pm »
I enjoyed that. Hatred AND respect and some decent, well rounded answers.

This bit just bemuses me though:
Phil: I'll worry about the Cash Cup when the League Title is decided, if we're still in it.
(It's the fucking European Cup FFS mate.)

This bit though, just scares the living piss out of me. Fair play to the fella for his answer:

Offline Franck Le Poof

• Blonde transvestite who is utterly haunted by the idea of sitting in other mens piss. Has ticked the box for no publicity ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2008, 04:06:06 pm »
Yeah, his bit at the end of "I despise your club, but I wish you all the luc in the world getting rid of your Yank scum, I wouldn't wish another Glazer fiasco on anyone, not even you lot" really shook me.
A manc wishing us all the luck in the world? These yanks must be a lot more shite overtime than we think.
Whenever I meet a French girl I kiss her on both cheeks. Then I stand up and say hello

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2008, 04:12:17 pm »
Phil: Get rid of Gillett and Hicks before they borrow hundreds of millions and load the debt onto your club.

Hate to hark on about this bit, but that's already happened. Anyway, back to the subject.

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2008, 04:21:11 pm »
Cheers Phil - I'm sure you had to go through a lot of rubbish answers to find two decent ones.

If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline lurganboy

• Legacy Fan
  • Look! It's that bellend from 606!
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2008, 04:21:23 pm »
I despise your club, but I wish you all the luck in the world getting rid of your Yank scum, I wouldn't wish another Glazer fiasco on anyone, not even you lot.

I utterly despise them and their club too - but I respect that.

Offline freedom

• Legacy Fan
  • ♥ You'll never walk alone ♥
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2008, 04:23:05 pm »
cheers! Good read..
Bill Shankly: " A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. "

¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸...¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
\¸.¤ LIVERPOOL¤*¨*¤.
.\¸.¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸.¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
..\
☻/
.▌
/ \

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2008, 04:28:13 pm »
I forgot about that 100K bet!  ;D
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline Swedish_Red

• Kopite
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2008, 04:32:08 pm »
We wouldn't have won the league even with C Ronaldo in the team?

No, adding the topscorer in the league to our weakest position wouldn't mean a thing... Especially not considering the number of draws we have played. We're talking ~5 goals in the right games and we'd be top of the league.

We can also look at it the other way, take away Ronaldo from them and they would be in a UEFA Cup spot at best.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 04:34:27 pm by Swedish_Red »

Offline phoenix wright

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Kid Torres
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2008, 04:36:37 pm »
They must be the same soft c*nts who said we paid £18m for Mascherano!

But if Liverpool had paid 18 millions for Mascherano, it would be good paid because he is an awesome player and one of the best if not the best in his position. 40 millions for Tevez is a bad joke.
But tomorrow may rain, so I'll follow the sun.