Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire  (Read 42235 times)

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire
« Reply #320 on: October 25, 2012, 10:36:21 am »
Bran is annoying because its seeing his events through a childs eyes - thus niave and frustrating. He will be a key player in the fight v's the Others, hence the need for his back story to continue.

I'm a bit disapointed Martin is spending so much time on the series, he isn't getting younger and there is still minimum another book to start after he finishes the next installment.

I haven't finished reading all the books.  Have Feast for Crows on hold at my library at the moment and they have yet to get it to me.  Can't wait for it !

But I know what you mean about looking at things through a child's eyes.  I just don't see him changing at all.  Seems to be the same kid all the time. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: October 25, 2012, 10:48:36 am »
Spoiler
So who actually got Ser Mandon to try and kill Tyrion? It can't be Cersei as she doesn't mention it at all. My money's on Littlefinger. He knows Tyrion won't forget the story about the dagger ( A Lannister always pays his debts).
[close]
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #322 on: October 25, 2012, 11:21:06 am »
Spoiler
So who actually got Ser Mandon to try and kill Tyrion? It can't be Cersei as she doesn't mention it at all. My money's on Littlefinger. He knows Tyrion won't forget the story about the dagger ( A Lannister always pays his debts).
[close]

Spoiler
Why couldn't it be Cersei again? Given the outcome of the battle I would have thought that it could be anyone.

I'd say Joff is the other likely culprit.
[close]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 11:24:20 am by Redcap »

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
A Song of Ice and Fire
« Reply #323 on: October 25, 2012, 11:40:14 am »
Joffrey did it
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: October 25, 2012, 12:24:32 pm »
Joffrey did it

Thought so too.  He has form for it after all !

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: October 25, 2012, 12:58:23 pm »
Spoiler
Why couldn't it be Cersei again? Given the outcome of the battle I would have thought that it could be anyone.

I'd say Joff is the other likely culprit.
[close]
Spoiler
If it was Cersei, surely she would have mentioned it in one of her chapters? For example"If it wasnt for Ser Mandon, Joffrey would never have died'. I find it a little strange that if she did indeed order it she didn't think about it a single time despite having though about killing Tyrion on more than one occasion.

One thing that might back the Cersei theory though is that in the series Varys claims that Cersei is behind it ( he doesn't in the book). Although that could also be intepreted as Varys trying to sow discord or covering up his own crime.
[close]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 01:00:02 pm by Malaysian Kopite »

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: October 25, 2012, 01:30:30 pm »
I haven't finished reading all the books.  Have Feast for Crows on hold at my library at the moment and they have yet to get it to me.  Can't wait for it !

But I know what you mean about looking at things through a child's eyes.  I just don't see him changing at all.  Seems to be the same kid all the time.

He does start to improve as a character by the end of the last book he certainly was heading towards an interesting place especially in the grand scheme of things. So stick with him. to be honest though I think the final 2 books have a much lower standard of writing, in some parts I really thought it didn't feel like Martins work - I hope he picks it up for the final 2 and stops creating new arcs that he needs to then backstory and fully emerse into. There is pleanty in the books now that needs to concluded so I hope he uses the final 2 to build to an epic climax.

Offline Studog

• Kopite
« Reply #327 on: October 26, 2012, 06:17:22 am »
He does start to improve as a character by the end of the last book he certainly was heading towards an interesting place especially in the grand scheme of things. So stick with him. to be honest though I think the final 2 books have a much lower standard of writing, in some parts I really thought it didn't feel like Martins work - I hope he picks it up for the final 2 and stops creating new arcs that he needs to then backstory and fully emerse into. There is pleanty in the books now that needs to concluded so I hope he uses the final 2 to build to an epic climax.

Spoiler
Where I am up to, he's just found the 3-eyed crow, that chapter where the wights come was decent and I think Coldhands hasn't been explored enough, but one of the main things that annoys me about his chapter is Jojen, what a little bell he is!

Must say I'm enjoying Tyrion roaming around with "Young Griff", I've enjoyed Tyrions chapters throughout, Dany seems to have stalled a little in Mereen, she just needs to speed up her whole slavers bay thing...
[close]

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: October 26, 2012, 12:58:53 pm »
Spoiler
Where I am up to, he's just found the 3-eyed crow, that chapter where the wights come was decent and I think Coldhands hasn't been explored enough, but one of the main things that annoys me about his chapter is Jojen, what a little bell he is!

Must say I'm enjoying Tyrion roaming around with "Young Griff", I've enjoyed Tyrions chapters throughout, Dany seems to have stalled a little in Mereen, she just needs to speed up her whole slavers bay thing...
[close]

My favourite Characters are (probably not that suprising) Jon, Ayra, Daenerys and Tyrion - Dany for me just gets worse and worse as each book goes on though. She goes from this strong, fearless and dominant character into a bit of a wet fart if I'm honest.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: October 26, 2012, 01:55:00 pm »
To be honest I think the Meereen part of Dany's arc is necessary for her development as a character. Problem is it's so poorly written and realized that's all a bit of a shambles. There would have been nothing wrong with halving the number of chapters she had (and thus keeping her number of chapters to around the same as in ACoK and ASoS) and removing some of the incredibly boring Essos politics.

It's all just so far removed from where the real action (and characters people give a damn about) that it's hard to really stay focused. Anyway, that should be more or less wrapped up now, after probably 4-5 more chapters of Barristan Selmy's chapters. I can see her chapters being some of the most interesting in the coming book as(along with Barristan's, Tyrion's and Victarion's).. probably Arya's too, since she must be nearing her return from Braavos pretty soon.

By contrast if we're going further and further north in Westeros, I can see Jon's and Bran's chapters being a huge drag. The final conflict with the Others is inevitable of course, but I suspect we're going to be treated to some super boring exposition about their origins well before that in the next book. Oh well.

On another note, has anyone read the "Dunk and Egg" stories? I'd like to just buy the 3 stories as a single book, but they seem to be spread out amongst a bunch of story collections I otherwise have no interest in. Reading through the asoiaf wiki pages, some of the history seems quite interesting. Particularly the stuff about Bloodraven, who of course has a big part to play in Bran's current and coming chapters.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: October 26, 2012, 03:20:39 pm »
Surprised by what most of you fell on the Meereen arc. I liked it a lot, especially as it was a return to the "game of thrones" style of the first 1-2 books.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: October 26, 2012, 10:46:48 pm »
Surprised by what most of you fell on the Meereen arc. I liked it a lot, especially as it was a return to the "game of thrones" style of the first 1-2 books.

Maybe, but the characters are fairly uninteresting, probably partially because we know that they're inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

Offline Studog

• Kopite
« Reply #332 on: October 29, 2012, 01:42:56 pm »
To be honest I think the Meereen part of Dany's arc is necessary for her development as a character. Problem is it's so poorly written and realized that's all a bit of a shambles. There would have been nothing wrong with halving the number of chapters she had (and thus keeping her number of chapters to around the same as in ACoK and ASoS) and removing some of the incredibly boring Essos politics.

It's all just so far removed from where the real action (and characters people give a damn about) that it's hard to really stay focused. Anyway, that should be more or less wrapped up now, after probably 4-5 more chapters of Barristan Selmy's chapters. I can see her chapters being some of the most interesting in the coming book as(along with Barristan's, Tyrion's and Victarion's).. probably Arya's too, since she must be nearing her return from Braavos pretty soon.

By contrast if we're going further and further north in Westeros, I can see Jon's and Bran's chapters being a huge drag. The final conflict with the Others is inevitable of course, but I suspect we're going to be treated to some super boring exposition about their origins well before that in the next book. Oh well.

On another note, has anyone read the "Dunk and Egg" stories? I'd like to just buy the 3 stories as a single book, but they seem to be spread out amongst a bunch of story collections I otherwise have no interest in. Reading through the asoiaf wiki pages, some of the history seems quite interesting. Particularly the stuff about Bloodraven, who of course has a big part to play in Bran's current and coming chapters.

I'm going to acquire the dunk and egg books after I finish DwD.

I agree on the points about Mereen, I'm very intrigued by Essos as I have previously mentioned, but I feel as though Martin has kind of failed to deliver a little.

A bit of history on the others would be decent, I imagine that will be covered in some form of prologue? Kind of like the Sixskins one, just a nice little background on something.

Spoiler
I disagree about Jon, he's been a real plus point in Books 4 and 5 for me. I enjoy his interaction with Stannis and Melisandre, and all the talk of winning Northern families coupled with Stannis' battle plans make those a good read for me
[close]

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: October 30, 2012, 11:45:12 pm »
I still miss Ned. :(

What are peoples thoughts on Syrio? I don't think we'll see him again but i don't think he's dead either.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: October 31, 2012, 03:35:25 am »

What are peoples thoughts on Syrio? I don't think we'll see him again but i don't think he's dead either.
Think he'll run into Arya again.

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: October 31, 2012, 10:46:20 am »

Spoiler
Ah I loved his character, could he be the faceless one training Ayra? Considering the training they recieve they could realistically be anyone
[close]

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: October 31, 2012, 12:56:38 pm »
Spoiler
Ah I loved his character, could he be the faceless one training Ayra? Considering the training they recieve they could realistically be anyone
[close]
Don't think so. I'd love to see Jaqen  again though.

Offline mBake_LFC

• Main Stander
  • No one is inspired by the nothing you do..
« Reply #337 on: October 31, 2012, 02:24:25 pm »
Just finished Storm of Swords...all I have to say is...whoa..

What an amazing read.  I couldn't put it down..I am not a "fast" reader at all and read it in 3.5 weeks.

It's on to "A Feast for Crows" for me.. I have been keeping my eyes shut on this thread to avoid spoilers.

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #338 on: December 3, 2012, 03:01:33 am »
Storm of Swords spoilers!

Spoiler
So, with the 3rd season coming around I was just curious to hear what people think the creators will do. Where will they end the season and begin the 4th is my mine interest. I can see them ending with the Red Wedding and the final bit we see is Catleyn hanging a Frey. What's everyone elses opinion. Sorry to talk about the tv show, but it seems we're not allowed to post about the book or spoilers in the TV show thread.
[close]

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: December 3, 2012, 01:08:50 pm »
Storm of Swords spoilers!

Spoiler
So, with the 3rd season coming around I was just curious to hear what people think the creators will do. Where will they end the season and begin the 4th is my mine interest. I can see them ending with the Red Wedding and the final bit we see is Catleyn hanging a Frey. What's everyone elses opinion. Sorry to talk about the tv show, but it seems we're not allowed to post about the book or spoilers in the TV show thread.
[close]

IMO the scene you think will end season 3 will end season 4. Probably the first part will be right and then we won't see much if any of those characters for some time.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: December 5, 2012, 06:41:51 am »
Book 4 spoilers (Not quite a spoiler but avoid if you haven't read it)

Spoiler

Reading the bit about the maegi Cersei visited as a child that foretold of her marriage to Robert, her and Robert's bastards and her death by her little brother (The valyrian word skips my mind) I'm starting to think more and more that Jaime will be the one to kill Cersei and not Tyrion.  She tells the maegi then that Jaime would save her and recalling that many years later, she still thinks Jaime will save her and that only leads me to think he'll be the one to kill her rather than Tyrion. 

Also, I don't like even one of the ironborn.  Even Victarion who is probably the best of the lot, I really don't like.  They truly are an absolutely awful bunch and I wish they get routed by the Tyrells for having attacked their shores. 

[close]

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: December 5, 2012, 06:47:56 am »

Spoiler

Also, I don't like even one of the ironborn.  Even Victarion who is probably the best of the lot, I really don't like.  They truly are an absolutely awful bunch and I wish they get routed by the Tyrells for having attacked their shores. 

[close]

Spoiler
Rodrik Harlaw is the only ironborn character that I like. I agree that they are pretty difficult to warm to.
[close]
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: December 5, 2012, 06:52:20 am »
Spoiler
Rodrik Harlaw is the only ironborn character that I like. I agree that they are pretty difficult to warm to.
[close]

Spoiler
I don't like him exactly but yeah he's slightly better than the rest I think. 

Damphair is a fool the size of his beard.  I wish someone would drown the bastard.  Makes Hodor look like Einstein.
[close]

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: December 5, 2012, 07:28:43 am »
No one likes Theon?

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #344 on: December 5, 2012, 08:50:01 am »
I'm really struggling with ADWD part one. Been stuck on it for a few months now. There's too many new characters that I really can't be bothered investing my time in as I kind of know that they are going to be irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Offline Mashy-rawr!nooo

• Oordeers friiees wiith hiis whoopers!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Once upon a time.....
« Reply #345 on: December 5, 2012, 08:53:26 am »
I'm really struggling with ADWD part one. Been stuck on it for a few months now. There's too many new characters that I really can't be bothered investing my time in as I kind of know that they are going to be irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Many of them pan out to be quite decent or have some impact but I agree, too many characters to quick somewhat.

Would read it for the sake of the final book gnome, shit kicks off big time  ;D
My Grammar is shit. I no it and you no it.
They're Stoke. They throw sticks at aeroplanes there

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: December 5, 2012, 08:53:49 am »
Think again.

Offline pepe_carra_stevie_nando

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: December 5, 2012, 09:12:45 am »
Just started A Dance With Dragons and it is nice to have some half decent characters again. It was a struggle to get through all the Brienne, Sansa and Cersei chapters in book 4.
« Last Edit: December 5, 2012, 09:14:23 am by pepe_carra_stevie_nando »
Thing is, if you're going to have a massive beard then you simply MUST have a 'tache with it. Otherwise you just look like you've dipped your sticky chin in to a box of fannies.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: December 5, 2012, 09:40:18 am »
Spoiler
I don't like him exactly but yeah he's slightly better than the rest I think. 

Damphair is a fool the size of his beard.  I wish someone would drown the bastard.  Makes Hodor look like Einstein.
[close]

Not really seeing the need for spoilers for this kind of chat but ok..

Spoiler
Personally I liked Theon quite a lot by the end of ADwD. Asha is a very decent character as well I reckon.

Damphair appears to be a goddamn fool at this point but who really knows? Melisandre appeared to be a bit of a twit in book 2 as well, but evidently there's something to what she's been saying, even if she's not able to actually interpret everything correctly. It may be the same for the Drowned God. For all we known the Drowned God is the antithesis of Melisandre's god that she's been waffling on about.
[close]

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: December 5, 2012, 09:42:58 am »
Going to re-read these in time for the next season, over the festive season hopefully. Forgotten large chunks of it - so hard to keep that much in your head!
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: December 5, 2012, 09:50:49 am »

Spoiler
Personally I liked Theon quite a lot by the end of ADwD. Asha is a very decent character as well I reckon.

Damphair appears to be a goddamn fool at this point but who really knows? Melisandre appeared to be a bit of a twit in book 2 as well, but evidently there's something to what she's been saying, even if she's not able to actually interpret everything correctly. It may be the same for the Drowned God. For all we known the Drowned God is the antithesis of Melisandre's god that she's been waffling on about.
[close]
Spoiler
Victarion's Red Priest mentioned that the Drowned God is a servant to the God of Darkness. That's his view of course.

TWOW looks like its going to have an action packed start. You've got the battle at Winterfell(adn the fate of Jon,Stannis and Theon), the battle of Meereen and Victarion's surprise attack on the enemy fleet.

[close]

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: December 5, 2012, 09:54:09 am »
Spoiler
Victarion's Red Priest mentioned that the Drowned God is a servant to the God of Darkness. That's his view of course.

TWOW looks like its going to have an action packed start. You've got the battle at Winterfell(adn the fate of Jon,Stannis and Theon), the battle of Meereen and Victarion's surprise attack on the enemy fleet.

[close]

Yep. I'm thinking it might be the most action-packed sequence of the book yet, including the second half of ASoS. God knows it's been building for long enough.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
A Song of Ice and Fire
« Reply #352 on: December 5, 2012, 10:57:30 am »
Has there been any recent news/rumours about book 6?  Particularly the release date?

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Studog

• Kopite
« Reply #353 on: December 5, 2012, 11:04:17 am »
I've just started adwd pt 2 and I'm feeling a bit of pain again, adwd pt1 wasn't the easiest read, not like bk3 and 4 where. I find sometimes you're really getting into a story and then you're dragged off elsewhere, I think for the next book, a bit more care needs to be taken on this!

Spoiler
Asha's chapter taking them from deepwood on the way to winterfell was aba 25 pages long and one hell of a struggle!
[close]

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #354 on: December 5, 2012, 12:06:35 pm »
Has there been any recent news/rumours about book 6?  Particularly the release date?

I saw some interview with Martin a month or two back and he said 2014 at the earliest.

Edit: here it is.

I've started rereading the series from book 3, because I raced through them initially after watching the series on HBO, and I'm picking up on all his little hints about what's coming up that I missed the first time around.

Also I thought I'd have a look to see if my family name had a sigil/motto and found one. It's an old Welsh name equivalent of the English "Little", our motto is "God and enough" (Duw a digon).

Better than a flayed man I suppose!  ;D

« Last Edit: December 5, 2012, 12:10:17 pm by Uhoh AureliOs »

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: December 5, 2012, 12:59:00 pm »
Just finished A feast for Crows.

Spoiler
That word that Brienne screamed... wasn't ''Catelynyoustuckupcunt'' was it ? ;D

Interesting touch there with Pate right at the end. 

Also, religion fucks things up everywhere it seems ! ;D
[close]

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: December 5, 2012, 01:02:40 pm »

Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler

The 'kindly' man that Arya learns from does mention that the drowned God is just another of the God of many faces' face and IIRC he mentions the lord of the light in the same sentence. 

Again, that was just personal preference when I said I didn't like any of the ironborn.  I haven't yet read A dance with dragons where they may prove their worth so to speak but as far as I've read, I just don't like any of them. 

[close]

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: December 5, 2012, 01:28:57 pm »
Not even Theon?

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: December 5, 2012, 01:34:59 pm »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
A Song of Ice and Fire
« Reply #359 on: December 5, 2012, 02:09:22 pm »
Theon is a twat.

I thought that at the beginning but after five books I'm rooting for him. 

GRRM is very good at turning your opinions of characters completely around. Same thing has happened with Jamie.