Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire  (Read 42247 times)

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire
« Reply #280 on: August 23, 2012, 12:48:14 am »
My kindle says I'm 39% through the fifth book. I'm seriously considering staying up and reading it all through, I can't put it down!!! Life of a teacher in the summer holidays eh!

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: September 27, 2012, 09:10:22 am »
Just finished A Storm of Swords. 

Spoiler

Was happy Catelyn died.  Condescending little twat. 

And I really didn't think Littlefinger's hand in all of this would be as large as it was. 

[close]
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: September 27, 2012, 10:08:31 am »
Finished ADWD.

Spoiler
Jon  :'(
[close]
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: September 27, 2012, 10:59:02 am »

Spoiler

And I really didn't think Littlefinger's hand in all of this would be as large as it was. 

[close]

Spoiler
Ive not long finished it but I dont think im being thick here but wasnt she still alive but couldnt talk as she'd had her throat slit with the bandits?
[close]

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: September 27, 2012, 12:07:43 pm »

Spoiler

[close]

Hold your horses; you will be wishing later that the character was alive ;)
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #285 on: September 27, 2012, 12:23:30 pm »
Finished ADWD.

Spoiler
Jon  :'(
[close]

I wouldn't worry too much about that one.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: September 27, 2012, 01:40:31 pm »
Hold your horses; you will be wishing later that the character was alive ;)

I was just getting tired of her going ''Oooh Robb thinks he is a King but he is actually a kid'' or constantly calling others on their follies while committing her own as and when she pleased.

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: September 27, 2012, 01:41:45 pm »
Spoiler
Ive not long finished it but I dont think im being thick here but wasnt she still alive but couldnt talk as she'd had her throat slit with the bandits?
[close]

Spoiler

My understanding is that is isn't that she is alive.  More like a wight except she isn't trying to kill wantonly and wasn't raised by the Others if you get my drift.
[close]

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: September 28, 2012, 11:34:33 am »
I wouldn't worry too much about that one.
How so?

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: September 28, 2012, 01:27:40 pm »
How so?

It's just a classic George R. R Martin cliffhanger, he's done it time and time again and I doubt he'd be killing off this character at this point, particularly when they're so heavily involved in so many of the conspiracy theories. At least not permanently anyway.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: September 28, 2012, 02:30:39 pm »
It's just a classic George R. R Martin cliffhanger, he's done it time and time again and I doubt he'd be killing off this character at this point, particularly when they're so heavily involved in so many of the conspiracy theories. At least not permanently anyway.

In the back of the book where the houses are all listed, he is not marked as deceased like the other, definitely perished, characters are.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: September 28, 2012, 02:34:17 pm »
I was just getting tired of her going ''Oooh Robb thinks he is a King but he is actually a kid'' or constantly calling others on their follies while committing her own as and when she pleased.

Spoiler
I meant to say I would have preferred her to be alive than become that undead. Dying hasn't made her easier to tolerate.
[close]
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: September 28, 2012, 06:00:27 pm »
In the back of the book where the houses are all listed, he is not marked as deceased like the other, definitely perished, characters are.
Isn't that the status of characters at the beginning of the book?

Spoiler
On Jon, I think he really is dead, BUT much like the Varamyr ,the warg in the prologue, he's merged with Ghost and can take on other shapes as well. Here's the best part, I(like many others) believe that Jon is Rhaegar's son, and because of his connection with the dragons due to this, he can and will take the form of one of Dany's dragons.
[close]

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: September 28, 2012, 06:23:51 pm »
Just took a look at the ASOIAF Wiki, didn't realise there are only going to be two more books. That'll leave a gap in my life for sure, even with the series.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: September 29, 2012, 01:30:31 am »

Spoiler
On Jon, I think he really is dead, BUT much like the Varamyr ,the warg in the prologue, he's merged with Ghost and can take on other shapes as well. Here's the best part, I(like many others) believe that Jon is Rhaegar's son, and because of his connection with the dragons due to this, he can and will take the form of one of Dany's dragons.
[close]

Spoiler
I think writing his POV as a wolf or a dragon for many chapters would be difficult, and probably eventually quite annoying to read. It is one of the theories going around but I hope it won't be this way.
[close]
The possibility that there are only 2 books left is most definitely a good thing and not a bad thing. This series was originally to be only 3 books long and since then he's massively extended it. It's not unthinkable that it will be extended again because he hasn't got enough room to conclude it. There are still a million loose ends to tie up and as often mentioned, the guy is not getting any younger.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: September 29, 2012, 02:32:38 am »
Spoiler
I meant to say I would have preferred her to be alive than become that undead. Dying hasn't made her easier to tolerate.
[close]

Ah fair enough. 

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: October 2, 2012, 05:52:28 pm »

Spoiler
[close]

Jon and Dany will end up together uniting the houses of Ice and Fire. (in my opinion)

Does anyone think the last book isn't fully Martins work? It just felt all a little bit random and sketchy.

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: October 4, 2012, 02:02:20 pm »
Dany will never make it to Westeros. Or if she does, she'll die quickly.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: October 4, 2012, 02:16:19 pm »
Spoiler
Nah, think she'll make it personally, but I expect Aegon to be crowned. I think its going to end up with all the rightful rulers in their places, Bran at Winterfell, Tyrion at Casterly Rock, Stannis at Storm's End , Dany at Dragonstone and Aegon will sit on The Iron Throne. Or they'll probably all be killed off.
[close]

My name is Theon , it rhymes with....erm....

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
A Song of Ice and Fire
« Reply #299 on: October 4, 2012, 02:29:30 pm »
Dany and Jon is the obvious neat outcome but people seem to be forgetting that GRRM is ruthless bastard and completely averse to happy endings.

A more likely ending from him is all the Starks and Targ's will be dead and Bolton will be on the throne.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: October 4, 2012, 02:38:54 pm »
Dany and Jon is the obvious neat outcome but people seem to be forgetting that GRRM is ruthless bastard and completely averse to happy endings.

A more likely ending from him is all the Starks and Targ's will be dead and Bolton will be on the throne.
Wouldn't mind seeing something like that. Love all the cunning fella's ( Tywin , Tyrion, Bolton , Littlefinger and Varys)

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: October 5, 2012, 05:50:47 pm »

Spoiler
He has an obvious soft spot for Jon Snow though - you know this is his anti-hero.. He has built him continually over the books, he aint dead either - he will become stronger.. Jon's journey isn't yet complete
[close]

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
A Song of Ice and Fire
« Reply #302 on: October 5, 2012, 06:13:36 pm »
Wouldn't mind seeing something like that. Love all the cunning fella's ( Tywin , Tyrion, Bolton , Littlefinger and Varys)

I always forget about Littlefinger, he's been relatively quiet for a couple of books but I think he's planning something huge. He's a conniving little shit and is slowly building up a big power base. Can he legally become King?

Spoiler
He has an obvious soft spot for Jon Snow though - you know this is his anti-hero.. He has built him continually over the books, he aint dead either - he will become stronger.. Jon's journey isn't yet complete
[close]

Definitely agree with you there, no way is he gone for good. Whether he'll survive the series is another question, I think he's still very prone to naivety/blind honour. He'd end up like his dad if he tried to get involved in the game of thrones.

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: October 5, 2012, 06:39:10 pm »
He'd end up like his dad if he tried to get involved in the game of thrones.
The Watch takes no part  ;)

Spoiler
So we still haven't learnt who got Ser Mandon to attempt to kill Tyrion at the Blackwater. Also, what of Ramsay's letter? Is Stannis really dead? I've read the short excerpt of TWOW, but that could be set just before Stannis got killed/ Mance got captured
[close]

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: October 6, 2012, 09:55:58 am »
I think for the last few books Martin simply tried to re-write far too much.. He introduced too many new faces and totally changed the dynamics of the story and the pace, it was like starting again with back stories and learning new histories - he really needed to have some of these characters (Dorne) in from the beginning.

I do think the whole "Game of Thrones" that we are seeing as the main plot line currently wont be the climax of the show.. The wraiths are the main enemy for me, everything else is a side show. That's why I believe Dany will come to Westeros eventually, the dragons are the key (fire) to breaking the wraiths (ice) hence me suggesting an alligence between Dany and Jon.. A song of Ice (Jon) and Fire (Dany) etc..

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
A Song of Ice and Fire
« Reply #305 on: October 21, 2012, 12:25:56 pm »
There are a few high points though. And one point where I literally punched the air and screamed 'FUCK YEAH!' while followed by the biggest 'OMG WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED' within the span of half a page.

I know THAT page. Just reading the books epilogue, a Feast for Crows awaits beside me.
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: October 23, 2012, 11:14:39 pm »
Rumours that the next book will explore the Land of Always Winter. If true then it should be really interesting if that's where the Others have been coming from and there's pretty much no information about the place at all.

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: October 23, 2012, 11:58:02 pm »
Hopefully if we're going that far North we'll get to see something of Benjen Stark.

Refuse to believe he is just dead and gone, gets brought up too much.

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: October 24, 2012, 12:12:28 am »
Hopefully if we're going that far North we'll get to see something of Benjen Stark.

Refuse to believe he is just dead and gone, gets brought up too much.

I'm guessing he disappeared deep North and will turn up again.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
A Song of Ice and Fire
« Reply #309 on: October 24, 2012, 12:15:50 am »
There is that rumour Benjen is

Spoiler
Coldhands. Not sure I believe that myself
[close]

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: October 24, 2012, 01:11:42 pm »
I reckon he's dead. His second life (one way or the other) is very much a fan created one.

I feel more or less the same, regrettably, about the Greatjon making a huge comeback.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: October 24, 2012, 01:20:07 pm »
I reckon he's dead. His second life (one way or the other) is very much a fan created one.

I feel more or less the same, regrettably, about the Greatjon making a huge comeback.
The series already shows that the Greatjon won't have a big part to play anymore.

Spoiler
Where are Rickon and Osha? Greywater's Watch?
[close]

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: October 24, 2012, 01:30:27 pm »
The series already shows that the Greatjon won't have a big part to play anymore.

Spoiler
[close]

Actually in the series the character playing the Greatjon had other commitments, so he was written out of season 2. That alone shouldn't rule him out of another part to play.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: October 24, 2012, 01:35:24 pm »
Actually in the series the character playing the Greatjon had other commitments, so he was written out of season 2. That alone shouldn't rule him out of another part to play.
True enough, but in ASOIAF, loud, tough and larger than life characters generally have a rather short life expectancy. Its the quiet and cunning ones that do well.

Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 01:38:42 pm by Malaysian Kopite »

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: October 24, 2012, 01:44:40 pm »
True enough, but in ASOIAF, loud, tough and larger than life characters generally have a rather short life expectancy. Its the quiet and cunning ones that do well.

Spoiler
[close]

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Rickon_Stark

Offline Studog

• Kopite
« Reply #315 on: October 25, 2012, 07:09:55 am »
Just reading DwD at the moment and I'm enjoying most of it, but every now and then I hit a Bran chapter where I struggle a little. Anyone else find this? A certain character just makes you fall back a little? It used to be Catelyn. I'm hoping the same thing happens with Bran as it did with Sansa, I thought from mid CoK she got to be one of my preferred characters.

Spoiler
Really enjoying Tyrion being on his way to Volantis, really looking forward to seeing how the visualise here and Braavos as well in the series. The free sities and Essos and Sothyros really intrigue me as places, hoping to read more about the Jade Sea and Asshai in the next few books, has GRRM given any hints?
[close]

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: October 25, 2012, 07:24:18 am »
Just reading DwD at the moment and I'm enjoying most of it, but every now and then I hit a Bran chapter where I struggle a little. Anyone else find this? A certain character just makes you fall back a little? It used to be Catelyn. I'm hoping the same thing happens with Bran as it did with Sansa, I thought from mid CoK she got to be one of my preferred characters.

Spoiler
Really enjoying Tyrion being on his way to Volantis, really looking forward to seeing how the visualise here and Braavos as well in the series. The free sities and Essos and Sothyros really intrigue me as places, hoping to read more about the Jade Sea and Asshai in the next few books, has GRRM given any hints?
[close]
Bran only has a few chapters. All of them are in the first third of the book so you don't have to worry.

Offline pepe_carra_stevie_nando

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: October 25, 2012, 07:54:46 am »
Just reading DwD at the moment and I'm enjoying most of it, but every now and then I hit a Bran chapter where I struggle a little. Anyone else find this? A certain character just makes you fall back a little?

Just over half way through A Feast For Crows and it's Sansa and Brienne chapters that do that for me.
Thing is, if you're going to have a massive beard then you simply MUST have a 'tache with it. Otherwise you just look like you've dipped your sticky chin in to a box of fannies.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: October 25, 2012, 10:08:15 am »
Find Bran annoying to be honest.  Right from the A Storm of Swords as well.  Must run in the Stark household I guess.  Never liked anyone's chapters that much.  Even Arya's whose character is immensely likable otherwise.  Reading through her chapters is tough however. 

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: October 25, 2012, 10:22:51 am »
Find Bran annoying to be honest.  Right from the A Storm of Swords as well.  Must run in the Stark household I guess.  Never liked anyone's chapters that much.  Even Arya's whose character is immensely likable otherwise.  Reading through her chapters is tough however.

Bran is annoying because its seeing his events through a childs eyes - thus niave and frustrating. He will be a key player in the fight v's the Others, hence the need for his back story to continue.

I'm a bit disapointed Martin is spending so much time on the series, he isn't getting younger and there is still minimum another book to start after he finishes the next installment.