Author Topic: (American) College Football  (Read 298543 times)

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
Re: (American) College Football
« Reply #240 on: January 8, 2008, 03:23:15 am »
now that football (american college :P ) season is over, I guess I need to come up with a new picture thingy until next season

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #241 on: January 8, 2008, 03:23:33 am »
LSU is good.  pretty damn good.

They didn't start off very well. Tressel should have slammed the door.

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: January 8, 2008, 03:30:16 am »
now that football (american college :P ) season is over, I guess I need to come up with a new picture thingy until next season

Queue the "Find NYC-Tex A New Avatar" campaign.

some suggestions -

Offline HarleyQuinn

• Anny Roader
« Reply #243 on: January 8, 2008, 03:35:46 am »
Ah, hell.  Should have left the kicker alone.  Would have had decent field position.   :no
What can't you do with a drunken sailor?

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: January 8, 2008, 03:37:46 am »
Ah, hell.  Should have left the kicker alone.  Would have had decent field position.   :no

For all the pads, they have some really fucking pussy ass rules, don't they.

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #245 on: January 8, 2008, 03:50:53 am »
Clemens?  Interesting.  A Texas Yankee who's topical.  Perhaps

Good burgers, good beer! could be

The Thinker?  We might have a winner  :D

Offline HarleyQuinn

• Anny Roader
« Reply #246 on: January 8, 2008, 03:51:11 am »
For all the pads, they have some really fucking pussy ass rules, don't they.

Not even going to get into that.   :-X  I like both versions of "football."  They're simply different games that require different sets of rules.
What can't you do with a drunken sailor?

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #247 on: January 8, 2008, 08:41:29 am »
Gutted.

Could not watch the game 'cos of time difference and having to come to work today but it does not sound pretty. 31 unanswered points? Beanie not being given the ball on 3rd and short? Fucking hell.
DAMMIT!

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #248 on: January 8, 2008, 09:11:17 am »
I have seen more of LSU than I have the Buckeyes and yes I agree that LSU will win and win comfortably.

Told ya!! :P

I just think that LSU had too much for the Bucks who to their credit kept going until that last pick. You have got to be impressed by Glenn Dorsey.

I liked the bit at the presentation when Chris Rose presented the Defensive MVP award and gave the Ricky Jean-Francois a high 5. Did you see how big his hands were :o :o.

I would like to see the top 8 teams play off against each other to determine future champions.
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: January 8, 2008, 09:14:58 am »
Gutted.

Could not watch the game 'cos of time difference and having to come to work today but it does not sound pretty. 31 unanswered points? Beanie not being given the ball on 3rd and short? Fucking hell.

OS started well but the 2 picks, the blocked field goal and a few sacks turned the tide. The Bucks never really got back into then.
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #250 on: January 8, 2008, 09:32:30 am »
why on a monday night, wanted to watch this alas work means not liable to stay upp and watch!

Doesnt sound like missed much :P
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #251 on: January 8, 2008, 09:52:29 am »
Having ploughed through some of the post mortem on Buckeyeplanet, it appears that the blocked field goal really deflated the team and that, allied to some dumb penalties and our WRs being kept in check all day, cost us, but unlike last year no one is faulting the team for a lack of effort and it simply appears we lost to a better team. Congrats to LSU.

That said, just getting to the NC game is a momentous achievement for what was a very inexperienced tOSU team which lost most of last year's stars to the NFL. I - along with plenty others - thought we'd lose 3 or 4 games this year before the season started but instead we got this far and had another win against TSUN to celebrate. Thanks for the ride lads, and see you next year.
DAMMIT!

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #252 on: January 8, 2008, 10:18:46 am »
Told y'all the SEC is supreme these days.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: January 8, 2008, 10:21:19 am »
Having ploughed through some of the post mortem on Buckeyeplanet, it appears that the blocked field goal really deflated the team and that, allied to some dumb penalties and our WRs being kept in check all day, cost us, but unlike last year no one is faulting the team for a lack of effort and it simply appears we lost to a better team. Congrats to LSU.

That said, just getting to the NC game is a momentous achievement for what was a very inexperienced tOSU team which lost most of last year's stars to the NFL. I - along with plenty others - thought we'd lose 3 or 4 games this year before the season started but instead we got this far and had another win against TSUN to celebrate. Thanks for the ride lads, and see you next year.

I think they showed a graphic that illustrated only 4 seniors from the starters would leave at the end of the season. Should the juniors return for their senior year then the future does look bright for OS.

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #254 on: January 8, 2008, 10:37:11 am »
We will lose at least Gholston, Laurinaitis and Jenkins of the junior class to the NFL, I reckon. Thankfully, Beanie is only a sophomore and has to come back.
DAMMIT!

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: January 8, 2008, 10:48:46 am »
We will lose at least Gholston, Laurinaitis and Jenkins of the junior class to the NFL, I reckon. Thankfully, Beanie is only a sophomore and has to come back.

He had a hell of a game. Were it for him it could have been a lot worse.

Offline Frog

• Likes to woo
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Sounders til I die! www.weareecs.com
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #256 on: January 8, 2008, 07:35:11 pm »
why on a monday night, wanted to watch this alas work means not liable to stay upp and watch!

Doesnt sound like missed much :P
Because the people running the show don't think about people outside the USA. They only worry about those people inside the borders. For me the game started at about 5:00pm and ended about 9:00pm; perfect timing. I get home from work at around 5:00pm.
The bluest skies you’ve ever seen are in Seattle- And the hills the greenest green, in Seattle-
Like a beautiful child, growing up, free an’ wild- Full of hopes an’ full of fears, full of laughter, full of tears-
Full of dreams to last the years, in Seattle- in Seattle!

Offline Andy2006

• Legacy Fan
  • Telephone!
« Reply #257 on: January 14, 2008, 05:05:36 pm »
What channell in England will American College Football be on anyone??

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: January 14, 2008, 05:24:26 pm »
What channell in England will American College Football be on anyone??

It's on NASN which comes as part of the Setanta package but the season is finished now.

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #259 on: January 15, 2008, 04:16:38 pm »
James Laurinaitis will stay with the Buckeyes for his senior year, thank Christ.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7676568
DAMMIT!

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: January 15, 2008, 06:01:44 pm »
Xavier Lee fucking walks out on the 'noles when he is asked to convert to Tight End.  I don't know if he has played enough college games to be considered by the pro's, but apparently he is going for the combine.

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #261 on: January 15, 2008, 06:12:00 pm »
We are losing Vernon Gholston, who has declared for the draft as I predicted, but surprisingly (and thankfully) Malcolm Jenkins is going to stay for his senior year.
DAMMIT!

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: January 16, 2008, 12:41:36 am »
James Laurinaitis will stay with the Buckeyes for his senior year, thank Christ.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7676568

Those stories of Baby Animal going back for his senior year have been around for a few days now.....however apparently sources close to the OSU program have said he is still 50/50. His name is on a list for those going a speed camp designed specifically for people who are entering the draft.....If he does go back it is a major victory for Tressell considering Jenkins is surprisingly staying and Boone and Robiskie are also staying. What price the Buckeyes for the National Championship next season?

Jenkins played poorly in the title game, so I think that has something to do with his decision, though word is he was bought and paid for by an agent, which you only do if you are entering the draft. Laurinatis looked lost in coverage as well, so no doubt if he stays that will influence his decision.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #263 on: January 16, 2008, 12:33:02 pm »
Those stories of Baby Animal going back for his senior year have been around for a few days now.....however apparently sources close to the OSU program have said he is still 50/50. His name is on a list for those going a speed camp designed specifically for people who are entering the draft.....If he does go back it is a major victory for Tressell considering Jenkins is surprisingly staying and Boone and Robiskie are also staying. What price the Buckeyes for the National Championship next season?

He has confirmed it himself; he is returning. If he were still undecided tOSU would not have issued that statement confirming his return. "I want to stay a Buckeye for another season" - you can't get more definite than that.

My suspicion is that he wants a crack at USC in game 3, and possibly another shot at a national championship.
DAMMIT!

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: January 16, 2008, 02:08:09 pm »
He has confirmed it himself; he is returning. If he were still undecided tOSU would not have issued that statement confirming his return. "I want to stay a Buckeye for another season" - you can't get more definite than that.

My suspicion is that he wants a crack at USC in game 3, and possibly another shot at a national championship.

He has stepped away from some huge money but he does have a fair bit of his game to work on to be honest....I think Dan Connor would have been drafted ahead of him anyway as a LB. Kudos to him for looking past the money, OSU have only lost Gholston to the draft of the star juniors so they have done very well. (to be honest I think Gholston might be on a fw medicinal substances of a steroid variety, though I truly hope that isn't the case)

By the way there are a stack of players who stayed on for their senior year who dropped hugely in the draft. Quinten Moses (who now plays for the Phins) and Matt Leinart come to mind in recent years. Leinart would have been a sure-fire no. 1 in 2005 after winning the Heisman, but stayed on and went no. 10 the next year. Moses fall was even more precipitous and therefore very bad for his bank account. Think he is now playing with Miami, which shows you just how far he fell.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: January 16, 2008, 02:10:04 pm »
So is it Dorsey or Long for the Number 1 draft pick??

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: January 16, 2008, 02:32:32 pm »
So is it Dorsey or Long for the Number 1 draft pick??

The draft is in April....months away, there are workouts, the Senior Bowl and a whole lot more before the draft is decided.

However, given Bill Parcells is in charge at Miami, I wouldn't be suprised if he took the "total footballer" in Chris Long as his no. 1 pick. He will try to move out of no. 1 by trading, but I doubt very much that is going to happen. Noone wants the salary cap hit of a number 1 draft pick especially in a draft without a standout player at a key position. The standout player of this draft is McFadden, but he plays RB and you can pick them up later in the draft and still have a successful NFL team. Chris Long is a great footballer, but what he is missing at the end of the day is true size compared to the Mario Williams of this world....that is why McFadden is ahead of him on many ratings of college footballers. 

Both Dorsey and Long (perhaps) are limited to playing in a 4-3 alignment defensively if they play along the defensive line. I think Long will scout out as a OLB in the NFL (if he goes to a 3-4 team) and not the DE he played in college, if he goes to a 3-4 team it will be as an OLB and if he goes to a 4-3 team it will be as a DE, But I don't think a 3-4 team will select Dorsey because he is a "gap shooter" along the line....he is better suited to a 4-3 team....unlike Long Dorsey is definitely stuck to playing along the defensive line in a 4-3 formation. In a 3-4 formation the 3 players at the line are meant to 'stop the gaps' and not 'shoot the gaps' (shooting the gaps means going through them to make the plays, sacking the QB etc). In a 3-4 formation it is really the OLB's and other defensive backs who charge the QB, not the defensive linemen, who instead make sure there are no holes in the defensive line for plays to get through.

Anyway, I'm going the long way around to saying that Miami will go Long in the draft. Mind you, as I said, we are still a long way from the draft and a lot has to happen between now and then.

Parcells, however, will remember the best player he had on his squad back in his halcyon Gints days....the linebacker in Lawrence Taylor, the best defensive player in the history of the game. I think he takes Long and turns him into a linebacker. That was how he won Super Bowls with the Gints and I think that will be his thinking with the Phins.

Offline JoeTwerp

• Leader of the Maryland Vigilante Child Army. Mayor of Twerpville. Population 2
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: August 8, 2008, 07:46:46 pm »
Well give it to me

Don't say I didn't warn you . . .

I would say that in order for you to be considered a NCAA "D-1A" (I know it isn't called that anymore) Conference you MUST have 12 teams. I have a few different proposals for how that can happen but I will explain that at the end. Each conference will be split into 2 divisions just like all the other 12 team conferences and they will play all the teams in the division (5 games) and half the teams in the other (3 games) THERE WOULD BE NO NON-CONFERENCE GAMES. Then there would be a championship game week. The "Big 6" conference winners would advance to the next stage, and there would be 2 play-in games played between the 4 conference winners of the "smaller" conferences. This would leave 8 teams in the championship stage. They would all play each other (7 games, 3 home, 3 away, 1 neutral) The neutral game would be a "Bowl" game and decided by the bowl committees once the final 8 is named. I would think the traditional bowl match-ups would stay in tact (i.e. Rose would pick Pac-10 and Big 10 winner)

The next 64 best teams (9-73) would then enter into the Invitational Bowl Tournament. They would be seeded and put into groups of 4. They would all play 3 games and the team with the best record in the group would advance to a 16 team knockout tournament. The championship game and the "3rd place" game would both be considered bowl games like the cotton bowl or Gator bowl. After any stage that a team is eliminated, if they have 6 wins they will be bowl eligible just like college football works today. I am guessing that it would work out that the further you got in the tournament the better bowl you would be invited to.

Performance of each team would be tracked by computers systems and based on data from the past 5 years, conferences would receive coefficient rankings. These would be the main basis for determining the seedings of the 64 team tournament as well as who has to play in the play in games, and possibly determining which of the BIG 8 games are played at home and on the road.

Sounds like a lot of games

Team in Big 8 round robbin: ( 8 + 1 + 7 = 16 games) plus a play in game for the 4 small conference winners

Team in championship of Bowl Invitational Tournament ( 8 + 3 + 4 = 15) possibility that teams in tourney would also have lost a conference championship (+ 1=16) or loose play in game (+2=17)

A majority of teams will play 8 or 11 games.

Tournamnet seeding will be done by a committee choosing teams from the 1 seeds, 2 seeds 3 seeds and 4 seeds. They would try and keep it as local as possible while also trying to rekindle any "lost" rivalries between teams of different conferences.

The ways I arranged the conferences is either in a simple way with a LOT less changing, or in a way that makes more sense geographically.

I would show you how I did that but I am not sure how to get excel documents to show up on a message board.

I would also think that all “lost” non conference rivalries would write contracts in with each other that if both do not make conference championship games, they will play an exhibition match during conference championship week

these attachments make something confusing even more confusing without the color coordination and bolding because it was to be txt format but I guess its better than nothing
« Last Edit: August 8, 2008, 07:57:25 pm by JoeTerp »

Offline Vinay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: September 16, 2008, 10:00:53 am »
That debacle against USC has made a huge dent in OSU's aspiration.  I have not had the opportunity to watch the game (Any links to a download is very welcome); is that young QB Sanchez all that and then some? I remember him as a scrawny youth coming on a few times for Booty a while ago.
Here are the latest standings and I don't think many will contest it:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 02:27:41 pm by Vinay »

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #269 on: September 16, 2008, 11:15:16 am »
Yeah, it was ugly. For me it was a combination of:

1. USC are seriously fucking good. If they don't run the table and go to Miami I will want to know why.

2. Lack of belief on the part of tOSU players. Yet again a shit second quarter (after mysteriously abandoning things that had been working in the first) had them looking like beaten men at halftime, with a sense of "here were go again". After that it was just a question of how bad it was going to be. The one bright spot was Terrelle Pryor. That kid is going to be a star.

Sanchez looked pretty good, not at all like a guy who was only starting his 5th game.
DAMMIT!

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: September 16, 2008, 11:27:29 am »
USC are looking good this year.
I thought OSU would have given them more of a game.

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #271 on: September 16, 2008, 11:30:17 am »
One thing I'll say is the crowds that these college football games attract. Staggering really. Obviously helps to have a population of over 300 million but still...

Online AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #272 on: September 16, 2008, 01:52:02 pm »
i went to a Virginia Tech game last year for a game against a college that was not expected to put up much of a game

it was a total sell out at 68,500 people

unfucking beleivable

this eclipses all UK grounds except for wembley, old trafford and emirates and maybe a few others

what is even more amazing is that some stadiums, Tennessee and Louisiana to think of two regularly fill 100,000+ stadiums

for COLLEGE football

when I played football at University (in England), we had about three people and a dog watching most times

Offline JoeTwerp

• Leader of the Maryland Vigilante Child Army. Mayor of Twerpville. Population 2
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: September 16, 2008, 03:26:22 pm »
most places where College Football is big, there isn't a pro team around (but not always the case), and there are only 5 or 6 home games a year as opposed to 18+  Also there are a lot less pro American football clubs 30 than their are clubs in the football league 80+. Oh yea and we have 5 or 6 times as many people.

Offline JoeTwerp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: September 16, 2008, 03:28:53 pm »
Yeah, it was ugly. For me it was a combination of:

1. USC are seriously fucking good. If they don't run the table and go to Miami I will want to know why.

2. Lack of belief on the part of tOSU players. Yet again a shit second quarter (after mysteriously abandoning things that had been working in the first) had them looking like beaten men at halftime, with a sense of "here were go again". After that it was just a question of how bad it was going to be. The one bright spot was Terrelle Pryor. That kid is going to be a star.

Sanchez looked pretty good, not at all like a guy who was only starting his 5th game.

For me it was:

1. The Big 10 sucks my balls and has no speed
2. Ohio State is in the Big 10

I don't even think USC played their best game, and they still won by over 30

Offline brightonpete

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #275 on: September 16, 2008, 03:31:08 pm »
but the safety standards at college stadiums is terrible,i know there have been a couple of close calls but one day something awful will happen.

Offline JoeTwerp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: September 16, 2008, 03:55:16 pm »
Super bored at work today so I thought of another way to "fix" the problem of having judges involved in the process of college football, because that should be reserved for "sports" like gymnastics.  I also do NOT like the idea of a playoff system.

Ok, you split the 120 D IA teams up into 3 groups of 40. Top 40 teams, middle 40 and bottom 40.  THEN each group of 40 is organized into 4 regions of 10 teams to minimize travel.

Then each team plays every other team in its 10 team "conference" (9 games, 4 home, 4 road, 1 nuetral)

Then, at random there are games between the runner ups of each conference, eliminating 2 teams, and advancing two teams to join the 4 winners in a 6 team round robin (2 home, 2 away, 1 nuetral bowl game) = total of 14 games (15 for winning runner ups)

Teams that finished 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th in their conference have a 16 tournament (final and 3rd place games are bowl games)

10th place teams play the next season in the middle 40, and the middle 40 conference winners all play in the top 40 the next season.

Teams that finished 7th, 8th, 9th, 2nd, 3rd and 4th are placed into 6 groups of  4 teams each. (1 home, 1 away, 1 nuetral bowl game).  Top 2 teams in each group play in top 40 bottom two teams in each group play in middle 40.

Same thing happens between middle and bottom 40.

Offline Frog

• Likes to woo
  • Legacy Fan
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #277 on: September 16, 2008, 03:56:03 pm »
but the safety standards at college stadiums is terrible,i know there have been a couple of close calls but one day something awful will happen.
Because many of the stadiums are decades old. I know Husky Stadium here at the University of Washington has been in use for 75 or so years. Sure they've added on to it to increase capacity, but they didn't do any safety improvements to the existing structure.
The bluest skies you’ve ever seen are in Seattle- And the hills the greenest green, in Seattle-
Like a beautiful child, growing up, free an’ wild- Full of hopes an’ full of fears, full of laughter, full of tears-

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #278 on: September 16, 2008, 04:11:40 pm »
1. The Big 10 sucks my balls and has no speed

Oh, Christ, I knew it was only a matter of time before someone wheeled out this hackneyed shite.

The last time I checked, NFL teams don't generally draft immobile stiffs and the B10 sends more than its fair share of players to the pros.

Actually I recall you made your distaste for all things B10 plain somewhere else, so we are hardly going to get a balanced assessment from you.
DAMMIT!

Offline Frog

• Likes to woo
  • Legacy Fan
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #279 on: September 16, 2008, 04:54:10 pm »
Oh, Christ, I knew it was only a matter of time before someone wheeled out this hackneyed shite.

The last time I checked, NFL teams don't generally draft immobile stiffs and the B10 sends more than its fair share of players to the pros.

Actually I recall you made your distaste for all things B10 plain somewhere else, so we are hardly going to get a balanced assessment from you.
With all due respect to the Big Ten (eleven):

How many of the draft picks in the past ten or so years from the Big Ten have been skill position players known for their speed?

Many more of those players come from the SEC, ACC, Big 12, and Pac 10 (USC). Unless you can prove me wrong.