Author Topic: Russia launches invasion of Ukraine (*) & use spoiler tags for anything graphic!  (Read 950684 times)

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
I also wouldn’t underestimate the difficulty involved in taking the bridge down, the Russians arnt that stupid and will have it absolutely defended from sea and missile attacks, having weapons with the range to reach the bridge is just half the problem.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
I also wouldn’t underestimate the difficulty involved in taking the bridge down, the Russians arnt that stupid and will have it absolutely defended from sea and missile attacks, having weapons with the range to reach the bridge is just half the problem.
The other half has been solved on several occasions, which led to the relocation of the Black Sea Fleet to Russian territory. The Russians have a very porous air defense in Crimea that can be easily overwhelmed by drones to let the long-range missiles do their work.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Hello...Hello!
The US secretly sent long-range ATACMS to Ukraine — and Kyiv used them
The transfer of Army Tactical Missile Systems with a nearly 200-mile range ends a yearslong drama between Washington and Kyiv.

By ALEXANDER WARD and LARA SELIGMAN

04/24/2024 12:30 PM EDT

Updated: 04/24/2024 12:47 PM EDT

The Biden administration last month secretly shipped long-range missiles to Ukraine for the first time in the two-year war — and Kyiv has already used the weapon twice to strike deep behind Russian lines.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/04/24/us-long-range-missiles-ukraine-00154110
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
The other half has been solved on several occasions, which led to the relocation of the Black Sea Fleet to Russian territory. The Russians have a very porous air defense in Crimea that can be easily overwhelmed by drones to let the long-range missiles do their work.

Has Ukraine managed to hit the bridge yet? I know there was that truck that exploded but so far despite overwhelming air defences and hitting airbases in Crimea they haven’t hit the bridge. That would at least for me suggest the bridge is better defended.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Has Ukraine managed to hit the bridge yet? I know there was that truck that exploded but so far despite overwhelming air defences and hitting airbases in Crimea they haven’t hit the bridge. That would at least for me suggest the bridge is better defended.
I meant that Ukraine managed to breach the porous Russian air defense on several occasions. They didn't have long range missions to hit the bridge, but the hole in the sky was open. Now they have long range (300 km) ATACMS, now the bridge can likely be brought down.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
I meant that Ukraine managed to breach the porous Russian air defense on several occasions. They didn't have long range missions to hit the bridge, but the hole in the sky was open. Now they have long range (300 km) ATACMS, now the bridge can likely be brought down.

They're able to breach air defences around Crimea through a combination of overwhelming the defences with drones, using drones/decoys to reveal and then destroy radars/launchers, and spreading drones across a wide area to look for areas lacking in coverage. However, the closer you get to the Kerch bridge the denser anti-air is likely to be, so the above strategies only get you so far. You also potentially have to hit a single support multiple times to have an impact and ATACMS are only accurate up to about 10 metres, so they'd really have to launch a lot of them to stand a chance of taking the bridge out long term.

There are a few potentially big benefits to ATACMS that I'm aware of. The first is that stockpiles all the way up to the coast should be in range for Ukraine, meaning they could go back to destroying equipment before it reaches the front. Another is that there are cluster variations of ATACMS, which can be (and have been) dropped on Russian airfields to take aircraft out for the foreseeable future. I think they also carry a bigger payload than Storm Shadows, which makes them better at blowing up unfortified buildings and storage areas, but I'm not 100% on that.

Hopefully they arrive in large quantities, that's probably been the biggest issue with Storm Shadow/SCALP missiles, the numbers are limited.