Author Topic: Remembering my programme collection  (Read 1047 times)

Homesick

Remembering my programme collection
« on: January 11, 2002, 05:30:25 pm »
I followed one of the links off this site and ended up at the programme site.  Then I checked out my first year at Anfield 1961-1962, then the next and the next and my heart sank and my stomach turned.

All those wonderful programmes in which I carefully recorded the match stats, the half time scores, the team changes and my own highlights are not only lost for ever but are now worth a bomb.

Well actually they were not lost.  What I did as a snotty 10 year old was wallpaper my Bootle bedroom with the front covers.  The whole room was done by the time I left home at 17 with front covers of Liverpool matches stretching from 1961 to 1969 – mostly home matches but several away.

The programmes covered the glory years from emerging from Division 2 to …well you all know the rest.

And I can see the front covers of some of those programmes now on the Liverpool Programme Site – and they have prices ranging from £2.50 to £10.  

So I figured it out.  In total, by the time I left home, there would have been about 120 programmes on the walls of that bedroom in Bootle - those I'd bought at matches, those I'd inherited and those I'd bought in the proey shop.  So if the average current value of the programme nowadays is, say, £4, then I make that almost £500's worth of memories wasted.

I went abroad when I left home and when I returned my gran had decorated and in place of the LFC programme wallpaper was a hideous 70s design of orange flowers on a maroon background.  I stayed for a cup of tea and went abroad again.

But looking back I can’t help wondering now, as I look at those lovely programmes on that site, and wallow in the memories, whether my gran actually stripped the paper or papered over.  I will never know.  She has long since moved on and someone else is living there.

Although I am tempted to knock next time I am in Liverpool all the same.

Offline cyn

• Archivist
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Re: Remembering my programme collection
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2002, 10:40:38 pm »
Sorry to hear that, homesick.

Worth a try - visiting your old home, I mean!

You must have a lot of memories about the matches then. Perhaps you'd like to share some reminiscences (a la Mottman).

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 1, 1970, 01:00:00 am by 1017961200 »

Homesick

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2002, 10:46:19 pm »
The house has been modernised.   The old door replaced and it is all double glazed.   I am certain the interior will have been done too.  

Regarding other recollections do you think people would be interested?  I've always enjoyed Motty's posts.  But then again I am 49 and like a bit of LFC nostalgia.

I did one or two flash-back posts on the LFC-tv site about the old Boy's Pen and being a kid on the Kop in the 60s but they have disappeared now.

Going back to the programmes - I wonder if anyone else has lost or ruined their collections and now regrets it.

Offline Steve C

• Gone... but not forgotten - I hope some day you will join us
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2002, 10:49:20 pm »
Yes we definately ARE interested in anythng like that. If its long enough well stick it on the Front Page so more people can see it as well...with your permission of course.  :)

Offline cyn

• Archivist
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2002, 10:50:47 pm »
Hooray - someone on this site who's older than me (besides Red in Holland)!

Well, I for one enjoy reading about matches in the 70s and 80s (although I can't remember them) - we didn't get to see many of those on TV here in Singapore then! It's very different now - we get to see LFC practically every week on TV! :)

As for the Old Boys' Pen, I reposted a poem by a braces and boots (aka Dave Kirby) about the Old Boys' Pen - have you read it (it's in one of Mottman's many threads here :) )

Homesick

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2002, 11:18:41 pm »
Yes I read that with interest - it was posted on the LFC-tv site after I wrote a piece about the old Boy's Pen.  Good stuff.

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2002, 12:58:49 am »

Homesick,

I'm really made up you made it here, I told you these people are different, was I right or was I right.

Enjoy it here, I'm sure you will.

8)

MOTTMAN
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2002, 01:20:52 am »
Homesick,

Great post as usual.

Post away to your heats content, No worries what so ever.

I feed off people such as you, you help me remenber things from years ago that are locked up in my head, its supporters like you that trigger my mind in responding.
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.