Author Topic: Spurs: fucking useless  (Read 2608339 times)

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Spurs
« Reply #6480 on: October 19, 2017, 11:57:23 am »
Who would you expect to play across the four in midfield?  Does, I'm assuming Delle alle drop back and help out defensively? Otherwise it would be 2 vs 3 in the middle which would suit us just fine.

In an ideal world we would have Dembele and Wanyama in the MF two but with the injuries its likely to be Winks and Dier - both Ali and Eriksen do a lot of defensive work.  If we start 4 at the back I would expect same as RM but with Son or Ali instead of Lorente. If we start with 5 at the back the 2 will be Dier and Winks with Ali / Eriksen / Son or Sissoko (surprisingly good the last few games).

Don't believe the Ali is basically a second striker because although it can be true ( Chelsea last year) the vast majority of games he is a CM / AM.

I hope we do adjust our game plan as you did thrash us 1-1 at home last year (performance rather than result). 

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6481 on: October 19, 2017, 12:07:43 pm »
In an ideal world we would have Dembele and Wanyama in the MF two but with the injuries its likely to be Winks and Dier - both Ali and Eriksen do a lot of defensive work.  If we start 4 at the back I would expect same as RM but with Son or Ali instead of Lorente. If we start with 5 at the back the 2 will be Dier and Winks with Ali / Eriksen / Son or Sissoko (surprisingly good the last few games).

Don't believe the Ali is basically a second striker because although it can be true ( Chelsea last year) the vast majority of games he is a CM / AM.

I hope we do adjust our game plan as you did thrash us 1-1 at home last year (performance rather than result).
Sorry you lost me. I thought you'd mis-typed when you wrote 5-2-3-1 (12 players). If you play five at the back is it 5-3-1-1 ? That would be nice as we like to get our full backs involved in our attack. If you adjust your formation for Salah, who plays on Coutinho's side (your right)? Are they right footed?

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
« Reply #6482 on: October 19, 2017, 12:26:48 pm »
Sorry you lost me. I thought you'd mis-typed when you wrote 5-2-3-1 (12 players). If you play five at the back is it 5-3-1-1 ? That would be nice as we like to get our full backs involved in our attack. If you adjust your formation for Salah, who plays on Coutinho's side (your right)? Are they right footed?

5-2-3-1 was my secret plan.. should be 3-4-2-1 or 5-2-2-1

It would be Trippier and probably Dier in the MF on the right handside with Eriksen & Ali tracking back and swaping sides in front.  If sissoko starts over winks he is likely to be on that side.

probable starting :

lloris
Toby -Sanchez - Jan
Trippier - Dier - Winks - Davies
Ali - Eriksen
Kane

or

lloris
Trippier-Jan - Toby - Davies
Sissoko- Dier - Winks - Eriksen
Ali (swapiing with Eriksen)
Kane

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #6483 on: October 19, 2017, 12:31:27 pm »
Is there no chance Aurier will play?  :(
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6484 on: October 19, 2017, 12:52:50 pm »
Put put a couple of sides to the sword who played 3-4-2-1 against us earlier in the season - Hoffenheim & Arsenal. Wenger got slated for sticking with a formation that offered up it's weaknesses to our strengths. And that was without Coutinho. Your young, inexperienced centre back having to deal with Firmino would be ideal.   I think the 4-4-1-1 would cope better with how we will play. But it's still 2 vs 3 in the middle, which suits us just fine.

I'm not sure how trying to play on the counter will work on that big Wembley pitch when the onus is on you to take the game to us. We just played a side that's used to dominating teams that had to suddenly change it's style.

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6485 on: October 19, 2017, 12:55:06 pm »
Sorry. On my phone and am in the midst of a liquid lunch. That should read - We put... <embarrassed smiley>

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6486 on: October 19, 2017, 12:59:04 pm »
5-2-3-1 was my secret plan.. should be 3-4-2-1 or 5-2-2-1

It would be Trippier and probably Dier in the MF on the right handside with Eriksen & Ali tracking back and swaping sides in front.  If sissoko starts over winks he is likely to be on that side.

probable starting :

lloris
Toby -Sanchez - Jan  [Insert goalscorer here]
Trippier - Dier - Winks - Davies
Ali - Eriksen
Kane

or

lloris
Trippier-Jan - Toby - Davies
Sissoko- Dier - Winks - Eriksen
Ali (swapiing with Eriksen)
Kane

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
« Reply #6487 on: October 19, 2017, 01:00:13 pm »
Put put a couple of sides to the sword who played 3-4-2-1 against us earlier in the season - Hoffenheim & Arsenal. Wenger got slated for sticking with a formation that offered up it's weaknesses to our strengths. And that was without Coutinho. Your young, inexperienced centre back having to deal with Firmino would be ideal.   I think the 4-4-1-1 would cope better with how we will play. But it's still 2 vs 3 in the middle, which suits us just fine.

I'm not sure how trying to play on the counter will work on that big Wembley pitch when the onus is on you to take the game to us. We just played a side that's used to dominating teams that had to suddenly change it's style.

Did you see our game against Dortmund?  They are similar to yourself in personnel and tactics and whether by design or due to them being very good we did exactly that (3-4-2-1 and sitting back).  As you have humped us the last few times we have played there will be a lot of leeway on performance. 

We can't go into the game and play our normal game as you have the beating of us in this setup.  Its only because of our games against Dortmund and RM that I think we have it in us to change in this way.  If you score the first goal however that plan goes out the window.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #6488 on: October 19, 2017, 01:01:51 pm »
Your young, inexperienced centre back having to deal with Firmino would be ideal.

Think Sanchez would handle Firmino fine. Performed very well at the Bernabeu the other night.

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6489 on: October 19, 2017, 01:17:24 pm »
Did you see our game against Dortmund?  They are similar to yourself in personnel and tactics and whether by design or due to them being very good we did exactly that (3-4-2-1 and sitting back).
I didn't see you against Dortmund, mate. That's the whole point for you posting here - so I don't have to ;). Last time we played them they proved themselves to be inferior to us.
As you have humped us the last few times we have played

We can't go into the game and play our normal game as you have the beating of us in this setup.  Its only because of our games against Dortmund and RM that I think we have it in us to change in this way.  If you score the first goal however that plan goes out the window.
Just my opinion, but there's a psychological cost to changing the way you play if you us. You'd be admitting your inferiority to us. We played a bit more compact against ManU recently, but still the same way.

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6490 on: October 19, 2017, 01:23:21 pm »
Think Sanchez would handle Firmino fine. Performed very well at the Bernabeu the other night.
Firmino won't stick around to be harmed. That's why I highlighted his youth an inexperience.

Apologies for the missing words, but we're past the point of no return where I can be arsed to sort it

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6491 on: October 19, 2017, 01:23:58 pm »
FFS. Not harmed - handled

Offline Armchair expert

• Almost makes you agree with Gove
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss
« Reply #6492 on: October 19, 2017, 01:38:32 pm »
You would have thought they beat Madrid 4-0 last night given the reaction from their fans and the press. Yeah, absolutely it was a perfectly good result but they had Lloris to thank for stopping Madrid scoring 3 or 4. Did they demonstrate that they are a threat against the best sides in Europe? Yes, but I think most knew that already. But being a threat and winning trophies are different things.

They have somehow overtaken Everton in being the best side at winning things who don't actually win things. It is astonishing really.

It was a good result but you are up against a side that is the best in Europe , the holders and favourites for this years competition which means sides like Madrid probably find it hard to up their game early on in the season. If that had been the knockout phase they would have tore Spurs apart.
Liverpool were similar in the 80's we'd struggle in the early rounds against the likes of Palloseura and Helsinki
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 01:40:35 pm by Armchair expert »

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
« Reply #6493 on: October 19, 2017, 02:08:26 pm »
I didn't see you against Dortmund, mate. That's the whole point for you posting here - so I don't have to ;). Last time we played them they proved themselves to be inferior to us. Just my opinion, but there's a psychological cost to changing the way you play if you us. You'd be admitting your inferiority to us. We played a bit more compact against ManU recently, but still the same way.

I don't agree - the results over the last X games prove we cant match up to you and play our normal game, there are just some teams you don't match up well too.  There is also the psychological benefit if we change and win, we have a plan B for example.  The fact we have already changed twice already winning against Dortmund and drawing against RM shows the manager has a pragmatic side that he perhaps has not shown in previous years.

I would be pulling my hair out if we go toe-to-toe with you again as inevitably we will lose.

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6494 on: October 19, 2017, 04:06:49 pm »
I don't agree - the results over the last X games prove we cant match up to you and play our normal game, there are just some teams you don't match up well too.  There is also the psychological benefit if we change and win, we have a plan B for example.
Hey, I'm all for your manager treating us at "home" the same as he does playing RM away. However, the psychological benefit for Spurs only happens at the final whistle, whereas we receive ours before kick off.
The fact we have already changed twice already winning against Dortmund and drawing against RM shows the manager has a pragmatic side that he perhaps has not shown in previous years.

I would be pulling my hair out if we go toe-to-toe with you again as inevitably we will lose.
Fair enough. I don't want the situation where I say that Pochetinno might have been tactically naive in the past, and then when he shows pragmatism, damn him for lacking belief in his style of play.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6495 on: October 19, 2017, 06:43:37 pm »
You're massively overestimating this 'psychological cost' of changing your playing style to suit the opponent. Lots of successful sensible teams do it. Hell, we were the number 1 ranked team in Europe on the back of Rafa knowing exactly how to adapt his teams to exploit our opponents. We were the most feared team in Europe, I don't think any of our players felt a psychological cost of winning at Camp Nou playing one way then beating Chelsea playing another.

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6496 on: October 20, 2017, 07:58:44 am »
We're not meeting Spurs in the CL over two legs. I don't think your comparison really applies.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6497 on: October 20, 2017, 08:19:33 am »
We're not meeting Spurs in the CL over two legs. I don't think your comparison really applies.

Wait, do you seriously not realise that Rafa was doing the same in the league too? You thought he was setting up the team V Wigan the same way he'd set them up against Chelsea?

Do you not realise that almost all successful managers do that? It's kinda a huge part of their job. Didn't you notice Ferguson playing Giggs against teams that sat back like Blackpool and swapped him for Park against the top teams like Arsenal where energy and numbers in the middle were more important? They won everything btw.

"Psychological cost" :lmao

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6498 on: October 20, 2017, 08:39:02 am »
k

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6499 on: October 20, 2017, 09:56:46 am »
Wait, do you seriously not realise that Rafa was doing the same in the league too? You thought he was setting up the team V Wigan the same way he'd set them up against Chelsea?

Do you not realise that almost all successful managers do that? It's kinda a huge part of their job. Didn't you notice Ferguson playing Giggs against teams that sat back like Blackpool and swapped him for Park against the top teams like Arsenal where energy and numbers in the middle were more important? They won everything btw.

"Psychological cost" :lmao

I would kinda hope a Liverpool fan wasn't watching United in that much detail to be honest mate.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6500 on: October 20, 2017, 09:58:58 am »
I would kinda hope a Liverpool fan wasn't watching United in that much detail to be honest mate.

You could observe something like that by watching Match of the Day

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6501 on: October 20, 2017, 10:00:32 am »

You weren't keeping an eye on our title rivals?

You could observe something like that by watching Match of the Day

Exactly. Does Eel Lobo think you need to be fucking Poirot to notice these things?

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6502 on: October 20, 2017, 10:11:14 am »
Does seem a bit odd to have a Liverpool fan just desperate to talk up United: The Fergeson Years, in a thread about Spurs.

"They won everything btw."
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:13:01 am by zero zero »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #6503 on: October 20, 2017, 10:14:08 am »

Exactly. Does Eel Lobo think you need to be fucking Poirot to notice these things?

The season they played Blackpool the Hodge was working his magic so we weren’t rivals!

Although that’s splitting hairs.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6504 on: October 20, 2017, 10:19:21 am »

At the time....? Yeah?

Remember now, what happened 8 years ago in specific matches not involving us but involving United...?! Erm, no. No I don't. I can remember pretty much every minute of Istanbul, who played, who went off, who did what etc. I really haven't watched any United games not involving Liverpool with enough attention to be able to recall eight years later who played in what games, when they wanted to mix things up. Each to their own though mate, no judgement :)

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6505 on: October 20, 2017, 10:19:40 am »
Does seem a bit odd to have Liverpool fan just desperate to talk up United: The Fergeson Years, in a thread about Spurs.

"They won everything btw."

You really are the Fat Frank of RAWK aren't you, no one loves a deflection as much as you do :D

I talked up an example of how we successfully adapted depending on the team we faced ("Hell, we were the number 1 ranked team in Europe", "We were the most feared team in Europe"). But no, you deflected wanted to talk about the league. Cool, what better example to use than the team that always used to win the league. There are loads of other examples around the world of course - I could have used the example of the great Barca side using Pedro up top depending on the opponent you but would have deflected by saying Spurs don't play in La Liga.

You made a terrible point about 'psychological cost' and got shot down. Should have left it at 'K' instead of getting snide.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:21:31 am by Xabi Gerrard »

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6506 on: October 20, 2017, 10:20:53 am »
The season they played Blackpool the Hodge was working his magic so we weren’t rivals!

Although that’s splitting hairs.

Alright. Reading. Happy now?  :-*

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6507 on: October 20, 2017, 10:23:37 am »
You really are the Fat Frank of RAWK aren't you, no one loves a deflection as much as you do :D

I talked up an example of how we successfully adapted depending on the team we faced ("Hell, we were the number 1 ranked team in Europe", "We were the most feared team in Europe"). But no, you deflected wanted to talk about the league. Cool, what better example to use than the team that always used to win the league. There are loads of other examples around the world of course - I could have used the example of the great Barca side using Pedro up top depending on the opponent you but would have deflected by saying Spurs don't play in La Liga.

You made a terrible point about 'psychological cost' and got shot down. Should have left it at 'K' instead of getting snide.
k

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6508 on: October 20, 2017, 10:25:29 am »

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #6509 on: October 20, 2017, 10:26:39 am »
Alright. Reading. Happy now?  :-*

Better!

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6510 on: October 20, 2017, 10:29:27 am »
At the time....? Yeah?

Remember now, what happened 8 years ago in specific matches not involving us but involving United...?! Erm, no. No I don't. I can remember pretty much every minute of Istanbul, who played, who went off, who did what etc. I really haven't watched any United games not involving Liverpool with enough attention to be able to recall eight years later who played in what games, when they wanted to mix things up. Each to their own though mate, no judgement :)

Guess I've just got a good memory. Or you've got a bad memory. Either way, glad there's no judgment.

:wave

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6511 on: October 20, 2017, 10:32:16 am »
Guess I've just got a good memory. Or you've got a bad memory. Either way, glad there's no judgment.

:wave

Being able to remember Ferguson utilising Park and O'Shea in big games - you're basically the Stephen Hawking of football dude.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6512 on: October 20, 2017, 10:34:18 am »
Being able to remember Ferguson utilising Park and O'Shea in big games - you're basically the Stephen Hawking of football dude.

;D

Shouldn't you be slagging some of our players off on the main forum mate? Wouldn't want you to be missing opportunities.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6513 on: October 20, 2017, 10:37:19 am »
;D

Shouldn't you be slagging some of our players off on the main forum mate? Wouldn't want you to be missing opportunities.

I've spent most of this week talking up James Milner, but you know what, he's no Marc Albrighton is he? He's a player I'd really pay to watch.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6514 on: October 20, 2017, 10:44:36 am »
I've spent most of this week talking up James Milner, but you know what, he's no Marc Albrighton is he? He's a player I'd really pay to watch.

Good grief no mate, Albrightons awful

Offline My Original Username Back

• Kopite
« Reply #6515 on: October 20, 2017, 11:33:21 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsfTezFDeUU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsfTezFDeUU</a>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsfTezFDeUU

Nothing flashy you might say, but this video does show why Spurs fans are genuinely excited by him. Excellent composure, never looks like losing the ball, great interceptions. Reminds of a little of a more mobile young Michael Carrick. Poch calls him 'Little Iniesta'. Always looking forward and progressive with his passing, never looks like giving the ball away. Very composed, the fact that he was doing this away at Real Madrid in the CL just makes it even more impressive.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 11:35:04 am by Primativ »

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6516 on: October 20, 2017, 11:48:17 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsfTezFDeUU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsfTezFDeUU</a>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsfTezFDeUU

Nothing flashy you might say, but this video does show why Spurs fans are genuinely excited by him. Excellent composure, never looks like losing the ball, great interceptions. Reminds of a little of a more mobile young Michael Carrick. Poch calls him 'Little Iniesta'. Always looking forward and progressive with his passing, never looks like giving the ball away. Very composed, the fact that he was doing this away at Real Madrid in the CL just makes it even more impressive.

From that video he loves a sideways or back pass  ;D. Also he was like Modric the other day, he changed that quickly.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6517 on: October 20, 2017, 11:53:14 am »
From that video he loves a sideways or back pass  ;D. Also he was like Modric the other day, he changed that quickly.

Modric/Iniesta :)

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #6518 on: October 20, 2017, 12:00:45 pm »
To be fair I can see why Spurs fans are excited by him. Always good when a young homegrown player comes through.

The rest of us reserve the right to take the piss though. When he’s performed consistently at this leave like Kane then we’ll talk (and possibly still call him a one season wonder :D ).

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6519 on: October 20, 2017, 12:04:38 pm »
Modric/Iniesta :)

He's just a English Joe Allen.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker