Author Topic: Sex Education(on Netflix)  (Read 9749 times)

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Re: Sex Education(on Netflix)
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2020, 11:18:22 pm »
In agreement with the best thing on tv shout.

Watched first 4 last night, just finished it.

The last 4 have absolutely smashed it out the park after what I found to be a little underwhelming first 4. Brilliant how it came together and the individual stories developed, Adam’s possibly being the most heartwarming of all. Set up nicely for a third series in the case of Otis and Maeve.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 02:53:48 pm by duvva »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2020, 09:29:45 am »
Another cool thing: Emma Mackey(the girl who plays Maeve) is a Liverpool fan. She did for instance put out a picture of the squad celebrating the CL final on her Instagram story.

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2020, 02:21:47 pm »
Episode 7 was incredible stuff.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2020, 11:44:45 pm »
Episode 7 was incredible stuff.
Really was a very powerful episode

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #44 on: November 6, 2020, 09:55:30 pm »
Finished the second season of this last night, and can only add support to previous comments - it's fantastic TV.

Eye-watering & heart-warming in equal measure, with a brilliant cast thanks to some clearly fantastic casting (Gillian Anderson was an inspired choice).  There's barely a character or scene wasted, with even the minor characters contributing (thought that Mr Hendricks, in particular, was hilarious in the latest episode).  I'd be happy to pay to watch a spin-off performance of Lily's 'Romeo & Juliet' - filming that must have been a riot.

Really looking forward to the third season.  Both seasons so far have been released in January, with the second having been filmed May-Sept last year - I suspect, therefore, that the third will be delayed (though I've not heard/read anything about this).

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2021, 10:12:48 am »
Started season 1 episode 1 at 8pm Saturday night, thought 'that was ok, bit weird'

finished season 2 last night. Incredibly addictive story lines. Cannot wait for season 3.

I understand people getting annoyed at the settings and locations etc. but its clearly based from all cult classic rom-com & teen films. You have elements of Breakfast Club, 10 Things i hat about you, Mean Girls etc all rolled into one series. Plus i know when i was in 6th form i would have loved to been at an American high school/college! FWIW i think the setting is early 2010's but the style (Fashion, cars, houses) is 80's. As well as the smart phones there is references to Ed Sheeran.

I also really enjoy how every character became important in S2 but i would like to see more of what the show was built from - Maeve & Otis relationship plus the clinics they run.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2021, 10:56:02 am »
Yeah it's clearly a homage to John Hughes-style American High School comedy/dramas, that's the aesthetic they're going for.

Season 3 starts Sunday I believe, looking forward to it massively. Is there anyone more hated right now than that twat who
Spoiler
deleted Otis' voicemail to Maeve?
[close]
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2021, 10:59:22 am »
I wish it was back that soon, unfortunately don’t think they started shooting til late last year. Think it might be due out in the summer. Other than Better Call Saul I think it’s the TV show I’m most looking forward to this year.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2021, 11:22:26 am »
I wish it was back that soon, unfortunately don’t think they started shooting til late last year. Think it might be due out in the summer. Other than Better Call Saul I think it’s the TV show I’m most looking forward to this year.
Just checked, and unfortunately, it's a few people on my social media getting a bit ahead of themselves - the poster they've been sharing was for season 2, which came out on the same date last year. Damn.

The new Night Stalker doc is out today I think and me and the Missus are working our way through Cobra Kai after watching Karate Kid at the weekend so we've stuff to watch at least.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2021, 11:50:01 am »

This bump had me excited too, for at least a date!  Really enjoyed the first two instalments of this.  Netflix posted an updated back in September, showing that filming was back on track: https://twitter.com/NetflixUK/status/1303724990521634817.

There was also a good interview with Emma Mackey (Maeve) in the Guardian a week or two ago: https://twitter.com/NetflixUK/status/1303724990521634817.  It'll be interesting to see how her career develops.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2021, 12:06:53 pm »
I wish it was back that soon!! I think i read an article stating either April or June as most likely release date based on them filming September 2020.

How do you add the 'spoiler' hide for text? I want to share my thoughts on how S3 will pan out

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2021, 12:12:16 pm »
I wish it was back that soon!! I think i read an article stating either April or June as most likely release date based on them filming September 2020.

How do you add the 'spoiler' hide for text? I want to share my thoughts on how S3 will pan out

If you quote my post, you'll see a template below...

Spoiler
Like this
[close]

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2021, 12:20:53 pm »
Thanks  :D

Spoiler
I expect majority of S3 to run with Maeve & Isaac relationship developing but you still get signs of manipulation and controlling from him with her being oblivious to it. Otis and Ruby relationship growing, he likes her (more than he did Ola) but still doesnt feel 100%. Towards end of series Otis begins to notice the signs of Maeve's relationship and they then start go get closer again.
[close]

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2021, 03:16:42 pm »
https://deadline.com/2020/09/sex-education-jason-isaacs-jemima-kirke-dua-saleh-season-3-netflix-teen-comedy-drama-1234583056/

Spoiler
Looks like gender is set to be a key topic, and - yes, redwillow - gaslighting feels like the type of topic that Sex Education would be keen to explore/challenge too.
[close]

Looking forward to it.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2021, 04:04:01 pm »
https://deadline.com/2020/09/sex-education-jason-isaacs-jemima-kirke-dua-saleh-season-3-netflix-teen-comedy-drama-1234583056/

Spoiler
Looks like gender is set to be a key topic, and - yes, redwillow - gaslighting feels like the type of topic that Sex Education would be keen to explore/challenge too.
[close]

Looking forward to it.

Ive also seen a few people saying a season 4 has been agreed as well??

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2021, 10:00:02 pm »
Time jump confirmed for season 3, likely to be towards end of Otis’ mums pregnancy or after the baby is born

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2021, 05:35:00 pm »
Returns for a third season on 17th September: https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1408054803654082566

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: September 7, 2021, 04:15:18 pm »

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: September 7, 2021, 04:27:30 pm »

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2021, 10:17:04 am »
Love it.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2021, 05:08:30 pm »
Enjoyed it again. But I do wonder if they’ve got too many characters to focus on now and as such aren’t able to give as much time to some of them as necessary. Like the headmistresses IVF thing just seemed an add on that didn’t really have any overall impact so was it necessary.

Still so many really good characters that it’s really good and some like Ruby were developed more fully than previously. Again Adam’s become a fav due to how they’ve developed him and Amy always makes me laugh but they didn’t really delve deeply into her issues as I thought they might.

Still love it though

« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 05:11:09 pm by duvva »

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2021, 05:30:45 pm »
I agree with that. The characters I find interesting are still the ones from season 1. I`m sure the later characters have their relevant problems, but at the end of the day I find that I don`t care what happens with them. I just don`t find them that loveable, in some of their cases quite the opposite. I liked the Ruby development, and I wonder if the show runners have wasted Maeve`s time so much with that Isaac character over the last two seasons that the momentum has gone a little bit out of the Otis/Maeve relationship. I`m starting to think that Ruby might be the one for him if she gets out her full potential which is suggested.

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2021, 08:23:14 pm »
I agree with that. The characters I find interesting are still the ones from season 1. I`m sure the later characters have their relevant problems, but at the end of the day I find that I don`t care what happens with them. I just don`t find them that loveable, in some of their cases quite the opposite. I liked the Ruby development, and I wonder if the show runners have wasted Maeve`s time so much with that Isaac character over the last two seasons that the momentum has gone a little bit out of the Otis/Maeve relationship. I`m starting to think that Ruby might be the one for him if she gets out her full potential which is suggested.

Personally I don't think they'll end up together. I've always thought they're quite different people and work better platonically rather than romantically. It would be true to life that as a teenager you build up someone in your head as being the one but then when you're actually in relationship with that person you realise that actually you're not really particularly compatible at all. The show feels like its got one more season left in it anything more than that would be overkill another 8 episodes should be enough to wrap everything up. Also Eric may be the dumbest character in the show by a long way.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2021, 09:05:00 pm »

Personally I don't think they'll end up together. I've always thought they're quite different people and work better platonically rather than romantically. It would be true to life that as a teenager you build up someone in your head as being the one but then when you're actually in relationship with that person you realise that actually you're not really particularly compatible at all. The show feels like its got one more season left in it anything more than that would be overkill another 8 episodes should be enough to wrap everything up. Also Eric may be the dumbest character in the show by a long way.

I think the showrunners had it right with Otis and Maeve in the first season. Having dragged out the potential of a relationship too long is a weakness now I think. Even when they kissed it felt that it was a lost opportunity, not an iconic moment like on the bridge in the first season. I still dislike that Isaac character. I know he`s in a wheelchair and has his struggles and should sympathise about that, but I find his overall personality annoying, so he can still fuck off. Also, that story line has sort of killed the Otis/Maeve mojo. Very strange choice to go down that path. I never thought I`d think this in the first season, but as it stands I think the Otis/Ruby connection is more believable than the Otis/Maeve one. Ruby was the one who moved me this season, and I think the Adam character is good.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 09:20:09 pm by Raaphael »

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2021, 11:41:43 am »
Can you spoiler elements of the posts please, it's only been out a couple of days and many people, myself included, have learnt tidbits from the above posts that I wasn't aware of or haven't deduced yet based on only having had chance to watch the first two episodes.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2021, 11:45:32 am »
Really enjoyed it, and I didn't think I would because of some of the reasons mentioned above.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2021, 10:37:12 pm »
Spoiler
really shit ending in my opinion. Needs one more season, Maeve and Otis do not seem right for each other now… maybe that’s intentional but as mentioned the times been and gone and they didn’t toy with the relationship enough in this series for the kiss to be dramatic. Series 1&2 was a case of wrong timing for both of them, now it’s like they just settled for each other.

Too many characters, not enough focus on the main 2 IMO.
[close]

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2021, 11:58:52 pm »
Spoiler
I thought that the first half of the season was quite strong with the Ruby storyline, but once that was knocked off it, the quality dropped - though I was a big fan of Erick's trip to Nigeria.

Even though I do agree with the Isaac character being a little annoying, the actor is good and he made the scenes between him and Maeve quite touching.

The last few episodes did drag on a bit - with the ridiculous Hope dictator role character arc going nowhere - but the acting and soundtrack led by Ezra Furman was still topnotch overall.

There will be another season I imagine but they probably should have ended it here.
[close]

Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2021, 02:54:01 pm »
The weird era and location mix is proper throwing me this series. Not sure if I have become grumpier or it's just a lot more exaggerated .
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2021, 02:58:46 pm »
Hopefully there will be at least one more season, hopefully two?

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2021, 03:07:53 pm »
The weird era and location mix is proper throwing me this series. Not sure if I have become grumpier or it's just a lot more exaggerated .
It’s quite a mix isn’t it, but I don’t mind it. Quite enjoy the older cars, not sure why.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2021, 03:35:19 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58623652

Thought this was a good interview with one of the series more divisive characters, Isaac, played by George Robinson

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2021, 10:41:56 pm »
Surprised there's not been any mention of the moustache twirling, evil headteacher. Just a really bad, lazily written character

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2021, 09:34:40 am »
Spoiler
It was entertaining enough but it definitely lacked something. Echo the feeling about not caring too much for any of the characters apart from the ones carried over from the first season. That whole annual day bit was just so insanely over the top too!

I'm kind of disappointed the Otis-Ruby storyline went the way it did. It made her a sympathetic character and then she's barely existent in the series after they break up. They should have held out on the Otis-Maeve reunion until next season.
[close]

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2021, 03:23:53 pm »
Spoiler
I have come to the conclusion that I`d rather want Otis to be with Ruby than Maeve. Wouldn`t have thought that after the first season. I personally think one of the reasons for that is that Maeve was written really poorly this season. The Maeve/Otis story has been so avoided and without any mojo that I`ve ended up not caring if they end up together or not. 
[close]

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2021, 04:27:49 pm »
Spoiler
I have come to the conclusion that I`d rather want Otis to be with Ruby than Maeve. Wouldn`t have thought that after the first season. I personally think one of the reasons for that is that Maeve was written really poorly this season. The Maeve/Otis story has been so avoided and without any mojo that I`ve ended up not caring if they end up together or not. 
[close]
Agree with this.

Spoiler
I enjoyed the series, but it was definitely the low point so far. They really fleshed out Ruby's character and made her a viable alternative for Otis, then ditched it. Equally, I felt it was poor writing to just have the Otis's deleted message reveal hinge on a guilty confession by Isaac. Maybe they wanted to make him more sympathetic as he was persona non-grata with fans of the show, but it was hasty and clumsily written. They rushed Eric's realisation that he needed more and to be more free with himself and I actually think Adam did a lot of heavy lifting, he was excellent; relatable, vulnerable and made more sense as a fully-formed character than a lot of others.

Also massive kudos to the casting and the actors themselves, they did a brilliant job of making Adam seem genuinely to be Mr Groff's son, they even look alike. Adam got his 'Dad's' mannerisms spot on. He also had the best comedic lines in the season.

I enjoyed it, but a lot was clumsy and rushed. Emma Mackey may not be in it again so how do they write their way round that? She's said she doesn't want to be 26 playing a 17 year old.

Some thoughts -

Ruby finally given dimensions then badly under-utilised post Otis breakup.
Eric good entertainment but the Lagos episode awakening his need to be free and being the catalyst for his sudden break up with Adam was under-developed.

Otis was boring this season. He's at his best when being that advice figure, when being a mature head around confusion whilst battling with his own issues. He had some good stand out moments, like with the bloke who killed the cat with his nympho Mrs, and when he talked to Lily, but good moments were few and far between for him.

Maeve was boring this season when she used to be one of the most fun characters. She just seemed, more dull. I didn't see it as character development so much as complete lack of character.

Otis and Maeve's lack of shared scenes in the first half of the season has really blunted their chemistry.

Kudos for exploring some of the non-binary stuff they did, but honestly I felt it had way too much screen time, unless they were going to add episodes, which I felt they should have done. It reduced the screen time of the main protagonist's too much.

Mr Groff was on his way towards redemption and hopefully this is explored more next season.

Adam and Madame a great combo.

Ola is annoying.

Rahim is a decent character who got a lot less screen time than the bland, boring Cal. How can someone who has so many facets to their identity and their struggle to be recognised and not marginalised be so boring?

The Head Teacher ended up being too villainous and they didn't do enough to explore the compulsion, the reasoning behind this. They kind of gave her one framing scene at the fertility clinic, then gave her some small humanity back at the end, but so much more could have been done and you would have had a far more credible 'big bad' had they done so. Rushed, stumbled writing. She should have had two season for her arc.

Season 4 has been confirmed.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but it was definitely the least pleasing season and least funny.
[close]

Lots of spoilers for the entire season in my hidden post, please don't read unless you've watched the whole season or don't mind the story being spoilt.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 04:29:59 pm by Drinks Sangria »

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2021, 05:04:04 pm »
Spoiler
Agree with all of that. It will be interesting what they`ll do now. Personally I hope they will get more into Ruby`s background and maybe early years that have made her who she is. Right now I think she and Adam are the most interesting characters on the show.
[close]

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2021, 09:30:33 pm »
Just finished. That was sooo good again. Superb series. Music was fantastic too.

It manages to keep producing what makes the show so special and unique, while avoiding just repeating itself and focusing on the same characters too much.

Hopefully there is at least one more season.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: October 1, 2021, 08:46:40 am »
Just finished. That was sooo good again. Superb series. Music was fantastic too.

It manages to keep producing what makes the show so special and unique, while avoiding just repeating itself and focusing on the same characters too much.

Hopefully there is at least one more season.

Season 4's already been announced.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: June 7, 2022, 07:12:19 am »
Mrs has been watching this and has said I should. Saw couple of episodes from season 2 and whilst it's unrealistic and is set for a wider audience than UK (American especially). There is something quite endearing and watchable about this. It's been excellent!