Author Topic: It's always sunny in Philadelphia  (Read 55577 times)

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
Re: It's always sunny in Philadelphia
« Reply #440 on: February 15, 2023, 09:02:51 am »
Unlike Parks & Rec, there isn't an obvious moment in the early seasons where they shift gears entirely and you see the quality jump almost immediately. Even adding Frank to the main cast wasn't a huge change, really.

That said, I found the early seasons a bit strange to watch - maybe it's the early 00's being in a liminal era of not yet feeling 'retro' but also being long enough ago not feel modern? Perhaps it's just the 4:3, non-HD filming?

Since then, it could well just be increased budgets, but as it goes on they do go to more places and get a lot more ambitious in what they're trying to do in an episode. So the variety increases and I've found it more enjoyable. A few characters start popping up in multiple episodes to flesh out the local area (beyond just the Waitress and the McPoyles).

Also, I wouldn't stop watching without the Season 4 finalé - The Nightman Cometh, and not just because other people need to have that song stuck in their head for days too.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #441 on: February 15, 2023, 01:23:44 pm »
I am on Season 3 Episode 4 I think, and I'm thinking of leaving it there. I just don't connect with it at all. The people are absolutely dreadful, which I don't mind (felt the same about Succession, even S1 of Schitt's Creek) but something kept me clinging on with those and I ended up loving them both. But this one is a bit of a struggle - definitely find myself wanting the episode to end. I do laugh 1-2 times per ep but I'm not roaring.

Does it get better? Is it much the same from here and I just don't resonate with it?

I really wanted to like it but it's not really a patch on any of those other US sitcoms for me. Think I might just chalk it up as something I don't really get. After 20 episodes, I'd expect to enjoy it if I was going to?

You do need to laugh at them being horrible as that won't change

One thing underrated is the "universe" - the continuity

I find the way Cricket changes so much fascinating and hilarious. And he has great performances

The podcast is quite good for humanising the people behind it. It's a funny sitcom that tries to be different

But it's a dark, sometimes outrageous different. I do love it, but the laughter is often from a place NOT about wanting to like the characters

Why would you watch a show with characters you dislike?
Cause it's always funny

Dennis and Mac in the suburbs is a must see though I say

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #442 on: February 15, 2023, 01:38:40 pm »

Why would you watch a show with characters you dislike?

In this, I find that it's a very 'British' sitcom. It may not have the physical violence, but the core ethos reminds me of alternative comedy like the Young Ones (or Bottom) - main characters that don't particularly like (and are outwardly insulting to) the people they spend time with the most, but have got nowhere, or nobody, else to go to.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #443 on: February 18, 2023, 10:26:33 am »
In this, I find that it's a very 'British' sitcom. It may not have the physical violence, but the core ethos reminds me of alternative comedy like the Young Ones (or Bottom) - main characters that don't particularly like (and are outwardly insulting to) the people they spend time with the most, but have got nowhere, or nobody, else to go to.

That's a good shout that

American sitcoms always seem to have good guys - It's Always Funny definitely shies away from that

Could well see a British version of this - not a remake - would definitely suit our sitcom heritage of laughing at horrible people

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #444 on: February 18, 2023, 02:40:24 pm »
I tried to get tickets on Friday for their 2 shows at the Royal Albert Hall - I was 11,000+ in the queue having logged on at 9.59am (sale time was 10) Capacity is 5200....binned it obviously

Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #445 on: February 18, 2023, 02:47:49 pm »
I tried to get tickets on Friday for their 2 shows at the Royal Albert Hall - I was 11,000+ in the queue having logged on at 9.59am (sale time was 10) Capacity is 5200....binned it obviously

Yeah saw they sold out in seconds. Think they added some extra events in Scotland and Ireland?

They’d need to tour to get any chance of tickets and even then, can’t see them having interest in doing so.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #446 on: February 18, 2023, 02:55:40 pm »
I bought their 'self-help' book the other day, I call it a toilet book, I leave it in there and read it while vacating.  My family can hear me laughing while taking a dump.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Its-Always-Sunny-Philadelphia-Awakening/dp/1783298391/ref=sr_1_1?crid=U6AGNBBNJ6HP&keywords=its+always+sunny+book&qid=1676732113&sprefix=its+always+sunny+book%2Caps%2C85&sr=8-1

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #447 on: February 18, 2023, 07:49:16 pm »

I was logged on from 09:45 and had 6100 in front of me, if that makes you feel any better ;D

Rob hinted at extra dates in Wales and Scotland but who knows.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #448 on: February 18, 2023, 08:11:01 pm »
That pub in Wrexham next to the ground?
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Online Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #449 on: April 3, 2023, 10:52:07 am »
Confusingly, season 13 seemed to air out of order and Netflix has kept it 'as-is'. There have been a couple of references to events at the superbowl throughout, and only now towards the end are we finally at the superbowl episodes. The Waitress also dumped Charlie and then they mentioned as a 'thing' again afterwards.

I think it should have gone episodes 8 & 9 opening the season, then episode 3, then episodes 1 & 2, then 4 onwards to make more sense. Whether they just worried that leaving it too long for Dennis to reappear might affect viewing figures, who knows.

Getting close to the end now!

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: June 9, 2023, 01:14:09 pm »
It's back and so far so good

First two eps are Out There

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #451 on: June 9, 2023, 04:25:39 pm »
Hopefully that Blackberry film opens up more roles for Howerton and he gets too busy for this show so they can finally put it out of it's misery.

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #452 on: June 9, 2023, 06:52:48 pm »
Hopefully that Blackberry film opens up more roles for Howerton and he gets too busy for this show so they can finally put it out of it's misery.

Boo! It's never gonna recapture the golden era but I thought last season was basically fine, and an improvement on S14. Hinted there is still some gas left in the tank. I'm hopeful this season will be better still.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: June 9, 2023, 07:01:12 pm »
First two eps seem better than last season or at least not worse

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #454 on: June 26, 2023, 11:43:41 am »
It's back and so far so good

First two eps are Out There

Only in US?

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: June 26, 2023, 01:58:24 pm »
First two eps seem better than last season or at least not worse

Agree with this - for the first four I'd say.

Only in US?

Or in ... uhm.. other places..
@Yvanicuzz

Online Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #456 on: June 26, 2023, 02:01:53 pm »
Only in US?

Here's an artist's impression of me travelling to the US to watch it.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #457 on: June 26, 2023, 02:08:18 pm »

Or in ... uhm.. other places..

Fair enough. Just seems like graft most of the time

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #458 on: June 26, 2023, 02:40:43 pm »
Fair enough. Just seems like graft most of the time
I wouldn't rush.

I've watched the four of them over something like the the last week and I can only remember one of the episodes (and a concept, based on the episodes name) from a second.

Like someone said above, the last season (dunno the number, but it culminated in ireland) breathed some life into somethig that looked done the season before - juries out on whether that continues into this one for me

Online stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: June 29, 2023, 03:27:16 pm »
Just caught up with Frank vs Russia. Quite puerile at times (mostly in a good way) but more laugh-out-loud moments in one episode than I can remember for a very, very long time.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #460 on: June 29, 2023, 04:15:00 pm »
New episodes feel rushed from scene to scene to get load of characters into each one , i've been watching some older ones recently and its noticeable.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #461 on: June 30, 2023, 04:41:13 pm »
Fancy nuts?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.