Author Topic: Preview - QPR vs Liverpool, Sunday 30th December, 4pm  (Read 54176 times)

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Preview - QPR vs Liverpool, Sunday 30th December, 4pm
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2012, 06:03:59 pm »
This place will be hell on earth if we lose!

I'm not normally an optimistic sort, and even less so when we are away at an 'arry team.  He just seems to 'know' how to beat us.

Regardless of the result, it's important for each player to show some passion, as they simply didn't give a shit last night (Suarez aside).

Offline Alex7

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2012, 06:09:32 pm »
I nearly committed suicide after what happened here last season. Worst result I've actually seen in memory (although theres probably been worse). They stayed up because of it too.

Let's not let history repeat itself, shite club.

Offline murdell

• Main Stander
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2012, 06:10:27 pm »
Well you would expect us to win this one and I think we will. I would like to see shelvey rested and Gerrard in his position with Allen taking Gerrards. Sterling back in for Suso.

I want to see us pressing hard and being smarter with ball retention. 4th is gone so the only thing I'm interested in is Brendan's football being adhered to as much as possible.

Offline tamadic

• Kopite
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2012, 06:12:34 pm »
Losing to Stoke was not the end of the world.
But if we lose to QPR?! I can't imagine what would happen to the club.
Never take them lightly. I think BR would caution the team for that already.
I just afraid some stupid things happen, ie, sent-off early; own goals; stupid PK award to them...
As long as we avoid all the scenario above, 3 points is no problem.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2012, 06:14:13 pm »
Cheers Jersey, great stuff.

You're more than welcome, innit.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2012, 06:17:16 pm »
Think QPR will play a 442, they've seen that we leave massive gaps in front of the back four. Also think Suarez will play and the get a bit of rest once we can play Sturridge,
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2012, 07:31:47 pm »
Win this and it's 4 wins in 6?

Thats 2 ppg, comfortably top 4 form

The world may not be ending

Delusional optimism.

Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2012, 07:37:02 pm »
QPR away last season was one of the most sickening results for a while at that time. We owe them a twatting but with redknapp as their manager their a better side. Tarabt is on form as well and can he dangerous. At this stage , our confidence is pretty low and theirs is rising. So most likely a score draw but predicting football results is impossible.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2012, 07:43:58 pm »
Great Preview ClausyKopite. We're going to a shoebox of a ground.

As our own tale tells us we just don't know which Liverpool will turn up. The great thing is the travelling Kop will be fantastic irrespective so there's a positive even before we kick off  :)

Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline finchy1972

• Legacy Fan
  • Here's a story of a poor boy
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2012, 07:47:36 pm »
Think QPR will play a 442, they've seen that we leave massive gaps in front of the back four. Also think Suarez will play and the get a bit of rest once we can play Sturridge,
If we do leave a massive gap in front of the back four Taarabt is going to have a field day, Lucas is going to have to watch him closely.
Whatever we are , we are , whatever we will be is yet to be written .

Offline The Gigi

• Legacy Fan
  • Where once we watched the King Kenny play
Re: QPR vs Liverpool, Sunday 30th December, 4pm - Preview
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2012, 07:54:37 pm »
Anyone know where you can watch this in Paris?
You can go to the Rush bar - that's the headquarter of the French Branch, PM me if you want more information.

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2012, 08:13:58 pm »
We seem to always be the team who give the struggling teams that bit of hope. Hope we can avoid the disaster we saw last season.

Offline Warks Moustache

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2012, 08:16:38 pm »
I can't see us losing this game but then I felt the same way at Villa at home. Would find it funny if we tonked them just accentuate the flakiness of our performances.

Offline hem1987

• As thick as a whale omelette.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live where we are LOL
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2012, 08:29:54 pm »
Considering our position in the table and upcoming fixtures....Winning against QPR is not an option!!!

Offline ocecynwa

• Kopite
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2012, 08:30:30 pm »
Please no Shelvey or Downing! Does Brendan have the guts to drop/rest Stevie?
Remember when we used to sing "we've got the best midfield in the world'? Not so much anymore.

Offline North Red

• Anny Roader
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2012, 08:30:38 pm »
We'll probably win this comfortably, and then drop points to Sunderland. The usual rollercoaster shit..

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2012, 08:31:21 pm »
The “Harry Redknapp” factor will probably loom large in this game. In terms of motivation, he will probably be telling his players that they are every bit as good as any player on the Liverpool team. We can expect QPR to be very-well motivated to play with pace and movement. The thing that might go in our favour is how BR deals with the Stoke game, psychologically – does he tear the players a new arse in preparation for the QPR game and gave them chomping at the bit to prove to everyone that they weren’t as bad as they might have looked at the Britannia? Or will he let the players work it out for themselves and hope that they turn up to work hard against QPR? This factor alone might be more important than any tactical planning involved in the game itself.

QPR’s System –

What we know about Redknapp’s teams is that he likes them to get the ball down and play. This might feed into our hands as we are capable of playing, even by default, against opposition who want to pass the ball. Against direct or counter-attacking teams, though, we have problems. I don’t think that QPR will sit and look to hit us on the break. They’ll try to play football against us, and take the game to us as much on their terms as ours. What we would need to be wary of is that Redknapp and his staff will be aware of our vulnerability down the middle, and if we play our back four as usual, they might go a bit more direct to Cisse (if he plays) with Wright-Phillips supporting at speed and Taarabt and Mackie breaking beyond him when possible. It might almost be a hybrid of the Stoke and Fulham games, tactically, for the opposition team - a playmaker feeding a speedy and strong forward. I wouldn’t discount Cisse’s desire to score against his old club either.

Tactically, they are likely to set up in a 4-2-3-1, with Mackie, Taarabt and SWP playing behind Cisse, although if Redknapp looks at the Villa and Stoke games, it’s possible that he might play Cisse and Mackie together in a 4-4-2, with SWP and Taarabt on the wings. I think, though, that Taarabt could do some damage with the space behind Lucas and between Agger and Skrtel. There would be no issue with us playing a 4-3-3, but BR has to be conscious of changing to a 5-3-2 if we start to concede space in the central channel with any ease. In terms of the league campaign and the overall plan, losing this game wouldn’t be hugely hurtful to eventual points total, as we’re clearly in a rebuilding process, whether we like it or not. In terms of confidence, momentum, psychology and fan support and patience, though, a good result is required, and there is probably no wiggle room for BR in terms of using a game to develop the system. Against a Chelsea or a United or an Arsenal, this room to manouevre is possible. Against relegation candidates, though, the result is more important than the principles of play, and BR must surely keep this in mind, both in his selections and his in-game management. Some players need rest, while others need to be dropped (for technical reasons). QPR’s back four will be organized, so it is important that the Liverpool front three make life difficult for them. For this reason, we could see the return of Sterling, Downing keeping his position on the right, and Allen returning in midfield for Shelvey. Although Gerrard is probably best played deeper, if he plays at all, it might be an idea to detail him to press M’bia and allow him no space to play in. Just like Stoke did to us, we have to congest their midfield and not allow them to play their passing game. A team low on points and confidence who are trying to play a passing game and are disrupted will find it hard to play their way into the game. Does that sound familiar?

Liverpool’s System –

It will surely be 4-3-3 to start, with Lucas and Allen at the base of central midfield, and Gerrard in front. It could possibly (and should) be Sterling-Suarez-Downing up front, with the usual back four. The problem is that with this formation, BR backs himself into a corner if he does need to move to a back three. There is no real logical player to take off on paper, but it would probably be Sterling, as he’s the youngest. But Downing and Suarez up front doesn’t exactly make the Earth move as an attacking option, so BR might essentially make a rod for his own back by starting a 4-3-3. This would be compounded by conceding any early goals through the middle, and then making the wrong substitution choice if a change is made, or even not changing at all. It is important more than ever this season, I think, that BR gets the starting line-up and system right first, and it might be a better decision to sit down and work out the probabilities of how QPR might play, and set up defensively for that, and let the attacking principles do their job. It’s clear to me that, for whatever reason, there is no definite work on the defending principles being done to any great degree on the training ground, and in light of this, the best thing to do to cope with what the other team might do is to fill the spaces they might want to attack. So - back on my soapbox - it would be better start with either the instruction to Agger and Skrtel to play close together and let Johnson and Enrique drop back to collect the ball and start the attacking phase from defensive rather than midfield positions – or else bite the tactical bullet and start with a back three, and if it feels unnecessary, a positive rather than negative change can be made in the middle of the game. But as flexible as BR seemed to be in the first 10 games, I think we can look at this game as more of the same, and 4-3-3 will be the formation played.

Set-Pieces –

QPR under Redknapp and Jordan will almost certainly have spent some time on attacking set-pieces, and we definitely need to defend better with these than we did against Stoke. Their pattern is simple, but effective: five in the box in a 3-2 arrangement, and on the trigger, the near post runner sprints towards the ball to clear space, the back post player steps to the keeper, and the three runners make near and back post runs, and one run to the middle. One player stays outside the box to pick up clearances, but is usually ball-side, probably to pick up headed balls from the first defender. Unlike how we defender against Stoke, we need players on the posts for QPR corners, and if we don’t get them, one of their runners might get some clean headers at the near-post. No doubt Redknapp will have seen how we defended and will have some instructions for his players in terms of corner kick delivery and attacking the ball across the goal. If we can’t defend the zones and pick up our men and stick with them until the ball is regained, then QPR might do to us what Stoke were able to do twice yesterday.

Overall, these Christmas period games are delivering a real stern test of the team, and it’s clear we’re not at the full potential of BR’s vision, and might be further away than we would have expected. But if we can fix some basic things, cause QPR some problems in terms of disrupting their preparation, and play with more verve than we did against Stoke, the result could be a foregone conclusion. If BR makes the same gaffes as against Stoke, he’ll put himself under more pressure than he needs to at this stage of the season.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 09:42:39 pm by phaseofplay with the box instead of the present »
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2012, 08:33:46 pm »
For me we need to keep a tight defense.. i want to see a 4-2-3-1 with Lucas and Allen sitting infront of the back four, Gerrard roaming behind Suarez, Downing right and another left... that for me should be enough to create chances and also keep our back door shut.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2012, 08:41:01 pm »
A part of me dies each time Gerrard plays in midfield. Totally senseless and illogical from Brendan.

It will be interesting here if we fail to win this one.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2012, 08:47:16 pm »
live on Sky Sports 1 plus worldwide on these other channels

Luis Suarez is a doubt with an ankle knock, been playing with a slight problem for a fe weeks now according to BR ( source interview on SSN )

If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2012, 09:25:56 pm »
Great post PhaseOfPlay.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline faisfais

• Kopite
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2012, 02:16:22 am »
It is quite evident that Rodgers needs more time and especially more resources in the next few transfer windows to implement his style of play (whatever that may be). But in the mean time I would like for him to adapt to the players he does have available, i.e. change tactics so that we don't lose as frequently.

In my opinion, the main problem for Liverpool is not ball possession or lack of clinical finishing up front, but surrendering the area between the midfield and the defense. Rafa had Sissoko, then Mascherano marshalling that area and Rodgers should take a leaf out of that book by implementing a 2005-Rafa approach till summer.

Reina

Wisdom
Carragher
Skrtel
Johnson

Agger

Lucas
Henderson/Allen

Enrique
Downing/Sterling

Suarez

... shape it up like the 2005 team:

Dudek

Finnan
Hyypia
Carragher
Traore

Hammann/Biscan

Alonso
Gerrard

Smicer/Kewell
Garcia

Baros
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 02:22:33 am by faisfais »

Offline arcticus

• No massive asset. Doesn't know the difference between the 1st and 31st. Watched the Arsenal game sat in a pool of shite.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2012, 03:44:37 am »
Win this easy, 5-0

Then next week....

Offline Redknobprob

• Kopite
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2012, 03:54:53 am »
If BR has any sense, he will stop overplaying certain players and give one or two others a chance.  Shelvey has not contributed much of late.  His touch has been poor, finishing non-existent, and even an 18-year-old who has played many more games than him is holding up better.  He should stop believing in folklore as well.  Gerrard is has not been the same player for a couple of seasons now.  We have a broken team and it's a wonder that the likes of Sahin, Coates and Assaidi are not playing.  Change is good, especially as the club has played many matches this season. 

Offline Red Eyed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2012, 04:06:01 am »

I'd love us to go 4231 with some support for Lucas in Allen or Henderson, really think Henderson deserves his chance here.
"Just try, if we can do it, wonderful and if not, then fail in the most beautiful way"

Offline Redknobprob

• Kopite
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2012, 04:24:37 am »
QPR v Liverpool (16:00 GMT)

It is only a couple of weeks ago that Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers was talking about finishing second but they have won less than a third of their games and 10th place is about right for them at the moment.
It was evident in the Reds' defeat by Stoke that, although Luis Suarez is a real handful and such a good player, they haven't really got anyone up there to help him.
It is the lack of support for Suarez that might cost Liverpool, because too many of their attacking players are peripheral. I don't think Rodgers has got enough players who can change games.
I know they have got a deal set up to take Daniel Sturridge from Chelsea but I am not sure where they are going to play him and it is important he is used in the right way.
QPR also lost on Boxing Day, although I think they were a bit unfortunate to be beaten by West Brom.
Rangers claimed a dramatic win over Liverpool towards the end of last season, when they came back from 2-0 late on and I just have a feeling they might pull off something similar on Sunday.
They must be in a position where they think they might as well go for it, because they are losing games anyway, and I think Liverpool might be suffering from a bit of a hangover after their Boxing Day setback against Stoke.
Prediction: 2-1

It's looking good boys.  Lawro has predicted a QPR win.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2012, 06:09:34 am »

Liverpool’s System –
It’s clear to me that, for whatever reason, there is no definite work on the defending principles being done to any great degree on the training ground, and in light of this, the best thing to do to cope with what the other team might do is to fill the spaces they might want to attack. So - back on my soapbox - it would be better start with either the instruction to Agger and Skrtel to play close together and let Johnson and Enrique drop back to collect the ball and start the attacking phase from defensive rather than midfield positions – or else bite the tactical bullet and start with a back three, and if it feels unnecessary, a positive rather than negative change can be made in the middle of the game. But as flexible as BR seemed to be in the first 10 games, I think we can look at this game as more of the same, and 4-3-3 will be the formation played.

I find this a little worrying. Don't some teams have separate defensive coaches? Why are we so gun-ho in our approach? Can our vulnerability to direct counters down the middle be defended by having two more defensively minded CM's? So Lucas and Allen/Hendo playing a more disciplined game. Also the full backs should not both be caught up the field and behind the ball, one should stay back, so that we can try to have three defenders back when caught in transition. And Agger and Skrtel don't have to be so far apart.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline pougueme

• Main Stander
  • Hard to beat Istanbul, but...
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2012, 06:20:24 am »
I have got very little faith in this management set up. I think it is all blarney and bluster and jam tomorrow.

...I'd be surprised if we won on Sunday even though these are bottom of the League. ...

Good God!  There are a bunch of you multi-thousand post miseries here!  Hard to imagine how this board hasn't completely disintegrated over these past few years.
Old enough to have seen Best, Charlton and Law from the terrace at Selhurst Park while shouting like hell for the home club.  Old enough to have seen Pele's first match on Randall's Island in New York.  Old enough to have seen Jimi Hendrix warm up for the Monkees at Forrest Hills. 

Yes, pretty fucking old all right!

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2012, 06:35:29 am »
There have been ups and downs over past 4 weeks or so but I think we will okay. We have done well against teams in bottom half so far this season. Its not a given but if we play half decent we should be okay. QPR have been better under Harry but they still don't look like a team.

Offline ReeNah

• Kopite
  • I bleed RED!
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2012, 06:51:01 am »
I would love to see:

GK: Reina

CB: Coates
CB: Agger
CB: Skrtel

WB: Johnson
WB: Enrique

CM: Lucas
CM: Gerrard
AMC: Suso

CF: Suarez
CF: Sterling

I think we should be able to do some damage with that lineup'
"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail"
Benjamin Franklin

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2012, 09:51:55 am »
Character test again.

Everybody need to show that they´ve learnt from Stoke and put that behind them.

Individual errors has cost us dearly this season and that has to be cut out.

Rodgers needs to get the midfield right and for me right now that means Lucas, Allen, Henderson with Gerrard pushed forward or even rested.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2012, 10:01:39 am »
Character test again.

Everybody need to show that they´ve learnt from Stoke and put that behind them.

Individual errors has cost us dearly this season and that has to be cut out.

Rodgers needs to get the midfield right and for me right now that means Lucas, Allen, Henderson with Gerrard pushed forward or even rested.

Agree with it all.
Midfield part really needs to be sorted promptly as we're bleeding points needlessly and Henderson needs to get an honest chance. I don't like him being thrown aside like this. But yes, more then anything it will be a test of our resolve and manager's ability to kickstart the players after unfortunately a well deserved defeat.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2012, 10:10:02 am »
play Sterling thru the middle, last time he had the toffees shitting themselves

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2012, 10:18:19 am »
Every pre-match thread is the same...people coming on prediction 3-0/4-0 easy wins. So funny.

We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2012, 10:19:24 am »
Considering our position in the table and upcoming fixtures....Winning against QPR is not an option!!!

Have I missed something??  :o
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline AM76

• Joylessly cynical skimreader aka IQ76
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2012, 10:20:30 am »
In time honoured tradition we are playing one of the worst teams in the league who have just won one game all season, so we will go there and get beat. 2-1 to QPR is my prediction. I remember us throwing away the game last year after we were on the way to victory. The Liverpool way - giving shit teams 3 points year after year

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2012, 10:31:54 am »
Not sure why so many people are so confident. They are now fighting for their lives and their manager knows we are a soft touch with zero mental strength. We could easily get turned over.

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2012, 10:44:34 am »
Yeah - that result against West Ham proved we have zero mental strength  :butt

Offline keeby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • turned down the job of katie perrys fluffer.....
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2012, 10:48:09 am »
Every pre-match thread is the same...people coming on prediction 3-0/4-0 easy wins. So funny.
If you go with the alternative your deemed a doom merchant, after watching Brendan's team all season you have to wonder which Liverpool are going to turn up, the team with crisp passing that turned over Fulham or the gutless shower that bent over for villa, I,ll support the team till I have sucked me last breath, but a little more heart from the players ( like stoke, no I,m not a stoke fan) would be great to see, as well as a few new faces in january, and more accurate passing in the final third.
Result ? Haven't a clue a win ? Followed by another loss the game after seems likely. C,mon redmen
was on blankety blank once and came second.........

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2012, 10:48:11 am »
If we fail to win, then I really don't know where we go from here. My faith in Rodgers will have almost entirely diminished.

I can already see the excuses being lined up by some on here as well. "But Harry's in charge now, they're fighting for their lives, he's given them a new lease on life" etc etc. If we can't beat these over-payed bunch of mercenaries, then we've got more problems then we think. Simple as that.