Author Topic: Windows 10, professional spyware.  (Read 100540 times)

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Windows 10, professional spyware.
« Reply #480 on: September 7, 2015, 02:31:42 pm »
Most likely you are right,
BUT whats to stop them selling your info to copyright vendors, and them sending you a cease and desist notice or them taking legal action against you?
I could only see something like that happening if the identity of a serial uploader was made public information. People downloading the content aren't normally considered worth chasing.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #481 on: September 7, 2015, 03:19:38 pm »
Right near the end, it all looks like it's going swimmingly. Get the page with the big update circle with the percentage mark on, telling you it will restart several times. Then on one of the restarts it just says reverting to Windows 7.

When I look up the error code it's all just generic guff ::) :'(Was reading today that there is virtually no difference between 7 and 10 in terms of gaming performance (possibly slightly worse on 10 for older games) and we'll see no improvements till DX12 games start to be released or older games patched.

ARK and Battlefront III look like the first couple to really benefit along with ARMA III possibly?
Mate, you doing upgrade or fresh install? Might be worth trying the latter if you haven't.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #482 on: September 7, 2015, 03:28:06 pm »
Mate, you doing upgrade or fresh install? Might be worth trying the latter if you haven't.
It's arse about tit, but you need to upgrade to W10 before doing a fresh install or your hardware won't register with Microsoft and W10 won't activate.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #483 on: September 7, 2015, 03:31:13 pm »
It's arse about tit, but you need to upgrade to W10 before doing a fresh install or your hardware won't register with Microsoft and W10 won't activate.
What was the anitvirus that it was getting stuck on? Did you have to fully remove it for it to work? Do you have a note of the error code?

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: September 7, 2015, 03:39:04 pm »
What was the anitvirus that it was getting stuck on? Did you have to fully remove it for it to work? Do you have a note of the error code?
I didn't note the error code, but it was Mcafee and I fully removed it.  By the sounds of it my initial attempt didn't even get as far as yours.

It was a new laptop I upgraded.

You could always ask here -

http://www.tenforums.com/

They're pretty helpful, that's where I got the info I needed.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: September 7, 2015, 03:39:21 pm »

You can download the iso and do a fresh install can't you?

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #486 on: September 7, 2015, 03:39:54 pm »

I was under the impression that if you got the upgrade icon, than Microsoft have already logged your UEFI hardware stuff? But yeah, sounds fucked if you are right...
Just wait till games come online, I guess.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: September 7, 2015, 03:40:44 pm »
Well, that is what I did, and it gave me that option. I did the upgrade though.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: September 7, 2015, 03:47:10 pm »
I'm not that technical when it comes to computers, but I was under the impression you could only carry out a fresh install once you upgraded.  Granted, it sounds bizarre, but I'm sure that's what I read.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #489 on: September 7, 2015, 03:48:06 pm »
Does anyone know of a quick guide online that can tell me all the stuff I need to switch off in Win 10 to get some of my privacy back?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: September 7, 2015, 03:50:06 pm »
Does anyone know of a quick guide online that can tell me all the stuff I need to switch off in Win 10 to get some of my privacy back?
https://fix10.isleaked.com/

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: September 7, 2015, 03:50:19 pm »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #492 on: September 7, 2015, 03:51:15 pm »
Thanks, guys.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #493 on: September 8, 2015, 12:04:09 am »
Anyone have issues with their mouse when starting Windows 10? I have no idea why, but at times, my mouse just isn't working when I'm starting the computer. Restart fixes the problem, but it's rather annoying. The weird thing is that it's not happening all of the time...

That happens to me sometimes, but I'm on a KVM switch.  Usually clicking a few times on the mouse or keyboard brings them both back. 
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #494 on: September 8, 2015, 12:08:03 am »
Anyone have issues with their mouse when starting Windows 10? I have no idea why, but at times, my mouse just isn't working when I'm starting the computer. Restart fixes the problem, but it's rather annoying. The weird thing is that it's not happening all of the time...
Try reinstalling mouse drivers. Through Device Manager if you are using generic plug'n'play one (in which case it will be done automatically once you uninstall).

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #495 on: September 8, 2015, 02:34:35 am »
When I look up the error code it's all just generic guff ::) :'(Was reading today that there is virtually no difference between 7 and 10 in terms of gaming performance (possibly slightly worse on 10 for older games) and we'll see no improvements till DX12 games start to be released or older games patched.

ARK and Battlefront III look like the first couple to really benefit along with ARMA III possibly?
I don't know mate - maybe the experience has dependencies (build, driver etc) but is certainly not isolated. My gamer friends said the same thing - that upgrading to Windows 10 improves their game performance (these fellas are tuning freaks with very expensive rigs).

Otherwise all I am able to say is seeing is believing - same machine, same settings, different OS, almost double the frame rate.

Unless you're telling me it's due to the fengshui of my new apartment? :D
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #496 on: September 8, 2015, 08:48:12 am »

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #497 on: September 8, 2015, 10:01:13 am »
I don't know mate - maybe the experience has dependencies (build, driver etc) but is certainly not isolated. My gamer friends said the same thing - that upgrading to Windows 10 improves their game performance (these fellas are tuning freaks with very expensive rigs).

Otherwise all I am able to say is seeing is believing - same machine, same settings, different OS, almost double the frame rate.

Unless you're telling me it's due to the fengshui of my new apartment? :D
Would love to see that sort of improvement in gaming performance...may try the install again this eve :wave

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #498 on: September 8, 2015, 01:48:58 pm »
Their improvements are not as dramatic as mine though - they play at ultra settings with the full bell and whistles active
so the gain was not as significant.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: September 8, 2015, 02:09:46 pm »
Their improvements are not as dramatic as mine though - they play at ultra settings with the full bell and whistles active
so the gain was not as significant.
I play everything at 1080p ultra ;)

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #500 on: September 9, 2015, 09:49:12 am »
So I tried to update again last night without any success.

Just reboots during the process and reverts to Windows 7. When I look up the error message online people are talking about over-heating issues, resolutions included sticking a laptop in an air condictioning vent whilst it updated :o Given the amount of cooling I have in my rig I'd be genuinely shocked if this what was causing the problem.

When I run the windows dignostic tool I get as error saying windows updater is fucked and that it can't fix it. Check online and people are talking about registry's and the like.

At this stage I think I'm out! :-\

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: September 9, 2015, 10:44:50 am »
If I ever get my PC back I'll be replacing the internal hard drives.  I'd originally planned to just reinstall W7 but now I realise there'd be several years worth of freaking updates to install.  I may just buy a retail copy of 10 for the PC.  Wont be upgrading my laptop any time soon though.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
  • Smile....It confuses people!!
« Reply #502 on: September 16, 2015, 01:49:37 pm »
I've been given the task of installing a new OS onto a laptop for a friends son.  Is windows 10 still free at this point? Do i need a legit copy of windows 7 or other OS to qualify for the free upgrade?

The guy its for is in university, i was planning on putting M$ office on it for him, tho im hearing a lot about piracy with windows 10 ie it can scan and detect illegal copies of software etc, is this the case or can i put an copy (torrent) of office on there?

Thanks.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: September 16, 2015, 07:51:19 pm »
I have just found that Windows 10 has uploaded itself to my laptop, even though I never asked for it?  Saw this article:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/windows-10-automatic-download-1.3229063

In a nutshell, the article tells you to make sure you can see hidden files and folders, then go to your WINDOWS folder.  If you have a folder called $Windows.~BT then apparently you have W10 on your PC or laptop.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #504 on: September 16, 2015, 11:33:32 pm »
I have just found that Windows 10 has uploaded itself to my laptop, even though I never asked for it?  Saw this article:

In a nutshell, the article tells you to make sure you can see hidden files and folders, then go to your WINDOWS folder.  If you have a folder called $Windows.~BT then apparently you have W10 on your PC or laptop.

Mine was in the C:\ root folder. Cheeky beggars, I've deleted it.
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: September 17, 2015, 07:27:43 am »
Mine was in the C:\ root folder. Cheeky beggars, I've deleted it.

Ah yes, sorry.  My bad.

Popcorn's Art

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #506 on: September 17, 2015, 05:35:32 pm »

How the fuck can I delete this piece of clusterfuck from my C: drive? It says I need admin rights.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #507 on: September 17, 2015, 11:14:31 pm »
How the fuck can I delete this piece of clusterfuck from my C: drive? It says I need admin rights.

This may be of help mate:-

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/214070-how-to-delete-microsofts-unwanted-windows-10-download-files
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #509 on: September 19, 2015, 02:14:02 pm »
[emoji106]

Thanks a lot mate. Managed to remove it.
Didn't read the article so I don't know if it tells you how to avoid it reappearing, which it will do... [emoji20]

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
« Reply #510 on: September 22, 2015, 12:00:32 am »
.....  Is windows 10 still free at this point?......

No, Windows 10 is not free. 

You don't pay to download it but the price you pay is a complete loss of privacy so MicroSoft has access to your files, folders, eMails etc. and you have to agree to their terms and conditions so they can share this information with their associates.

It is possible to deny them access but the agreement to give them access is the default position and is hidden away in the small print.

Your friend's son will be much better served by you installing Windows 7 at this stage.

They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: September 22, 2015, 06:53:10 am »
It's not hidden away, it's in the agreement plain to see.

Anyway why are you so concerned? Google has access to your emails and anything in cloud storage. Microsoft said they can share you information, well they need to share some things like with Cortana for example.

It's so overblown all this. Come back in 10 years and let's see if those still running Windows 7 are any better off? I mean what should I be afraid happening?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 06:55:19 am by Upinsmoke »

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #512 on: September 22, 2015, 12:26:27 pm »
It's not hidden away, it's in the agreement plain to see.

Anyway why are you so concerned? Google has access to your emails and anything in cloud storage. Microsoft said they can share you information, well they need to share some things like with Cortana for example.

It's so overblown all this. Come back in 10 years and let's see if those still running Windows 7 are any better off? I mean what should I be afraid happening?

Cool mate - you'll have no worries giving me access and control to your pc then - basically to do with how I, or MS, see fit?

Google has access to my emails? No they don't - I don't use gmail.

Access to anything in the cloud? No they don't - it's my device - my data, and it's staying that way.

I'm not some tin-foil hat IT nutball (honest!) - but could you explain to me why you trust Microsoft or Google etc (or anyone) with all your information?

And also why MS haven't done a clearer and more informative job of telling everyone exactly what they are doing with your information and who they are sharing it with (or selling to) in that agreement? Just curious...

As an aside Win 7 support from MS ends in 5 years - so realistically those with Win 7 only have to avoid MS downloading Win 10 onto their machines without permission for another 5 years (unless MS start installing it without the user's permission - right now it doesn't seem that unlikely...)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #513 on: September 22, 2015, 12:33:37 pm »
Anything on any computer that is linked to the net can, in theory, be taken and distributed without your knowledge or awareness. That's just how the internet works.

There's a good piece on Win10 here, exactly what information it tries to access (and why) and the fact that it's less invasive than an iPhone.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2015/aug/15/windows-10-microsoft-should-privacy-problems-worry-me
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: September 22, 2015, 03:22:15 pm »
I finally got my PC tower from my mum's.  First order of business was to take out the existing hard drives and destroy them with plate metal cutters (long story, see the depression thread).  There was nothing wrong with them parse, but they were at least 10 years old and only 160GB each.

So I'm thinking of getting a brand new 1TB drive and putting W10 on it.  Data wise there'll be precious little to share in the short term, but has anybody got any experience with W10 clean installs?  From what I've read here most of the trouble seems to have been with people upgrading from 7 or 8.1?

Popcorn's Art

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #515 on: September 22, 2015, 05:32:05 pm »
So I'm thinking of getting a brand new 1TB drive and putting W10 on it.  Data wise there'll be precious little to share in the short term, but has anybody got any experience with W10 clean installs?  From what I've read here most of the trouble seems to have been with people upgrading from 7 or 8.1?

I don't think I've heard/read of anyone with clean install problems. As you say, mostly/all from upgrades. Did mine from Clean 7 to 10 and no problems at all.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: September 22, 2015, 05:52:18 pm »
What do you mean by "clean 7 to 10"?  That sounds like you upgraded from W7?  Do you mean you did a clean install of W7, did all the updates, and then upgraded to 10 before doing anything else with your computer?  I originally thought of just putting W7 back on the new drive but then I realised it would have about six years' worth of updates to manage before I could even use the thing. >.>

Popcorn's Art

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: September 22, 2015, 08:23:20 pm »
What do you mean by "clean 7 to 10"?  That sounds like you upgraded from W7?  Do you mean you did a clean install of W7, did all the updates, and then upgraded to 10 before doing anything else with your computer?  I originally thought of just putting W7 back on the new drive but then I realised it would have about six years' worth of updates to manage before I could even use the thing. >.>

You don't have to install six years worth of updates one at a time...  that's what Service Pack's and Cumulative updates are for.  I did an install of W7 from the Microsoft download and it only needed 2 or 3 reboots after updates before it was ready.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #518 on: September 22, 2015, 09:36:01 pm »
I finally got my PC tower from my mum's.  First order of business was to take out the existing hard drives and destroy them with plate metal cutters (long story, see the depression thread).  There was nothing wrong with them parse, but they were at least 10 years old and only 160GB each.

My first thought would be this:

1. Install W7 on your new drive and activate it.
2. Update to Service Pack 1 only (if the install disk doesn't have it already, the later ones do), ignore everything else, drivers, post-SP1 stuff etc.
3. Go here https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
4. Download the relevant version of W10 (32/64 bit, home/pro to match your W7 version) and burn to disk/USB stick
5. Use that to upgrade your W7 to W10 and activate it.
6. Then boot from the disk/usb stick again, wipe your hard drive and perform a clean install of W10 and it will auto-activate. Job done.

Bit of a faff, but just the way it is.

The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: September 22, 2015, 09:59:43 pm »
I dunno.  My retail version of W7 is 2009 vintage.  My instincts tell me it would just be simpler to buy a copy of W10 on a USB stick or DVD and work direct from that.

Popcorn's Art