Author Topic: THE BEATLES - 8 Days/Week & GET BACK (page 2 onwards)  (Read 27909 times)

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
Re: THE BEATLES - 8 Days/Week & GET BACK (page 2 onwards)
« Reply #120 on: November 26, 2021, 11:03:03 pm »
Just watched episode 1 too. Un-fucking-believable.

Peter Jackson said in an interview there wasn’t all this bad feeling in the group that he’d heard about but I felt there was a lot of tension between Paul and George which looked ready to boil over any minute.

George walking out of the band was done so calmly. And the way they developed Get Back from Paul just jamming as they’re waiting for John to arrive is everything you need to know about why they’re the best group ever.

Can’t wait to watch the second one tomorrow.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #121 on: November 27, 2021, 12:55:19 am »
Just glued to Part 2.

A different dynamic to Part 1 once George has returned and they move to Savile Row, where they’re clearly more at ease, especially when Billy Garstang joins them. John, in particular, is more like his old ebullient funny if occasionally pain in the arse scouse self. So great to see the enjoyment they derive from each other for much of this instalment which along with the amazing music makes Part 2 for me equally mesmerising as Part 1.

So it’s up on the roof next then eh folks.

;D

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: November 27, 2021, 01:25:37 pm »
Just watched episode 1 too. Un-fucking-believable.

Peter Jackson said in an interview there wasn’t all this bad feeling in the group that he’d heard about but I felt there was a lot of tension between Paul and George which looked ready to boil over any minute.

George walking out of the band was done so calmly. And the way they developed Get Back from Paul just jamming as they’re waiting for John to arrive is everything you need to know about why they’re the best group ever.

Can’t wait to watch the second one tomorrow.

That, and McCartney tinkling away on the piano whilst John, George and Ringo are sat around chatting with a couple of others about the staging etc for the show, and you can hear Let It Be being formed in the background whilst they’re talking.

I’m not musical, so I just find that stuff mind melting. Not even 30 years old and they’re just casually strumming/playing and out falls some of the greatest songs of all time in a few minutes, seemingly effortlessly. I can’t get my head round it!

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #123 on: November 27, 2021, 08:19:28 pm »
I just want a half hour Mal Evans special for part 3. The only proper Scouser in the band.

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #124 on: November 27, 2021, 11:23:35 pm »
I lived through the Beatles era, albeit very young, but do remeber vividly my sisters being fans, one especially, as I got older I began to appreciate their music myself, more a Paul fan as I liked Wings as a teenager. Watched the 2nd episode tonight and thought that both Paul and John looked more relaxed together which made George more at ease, Ringo was just Ringo...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 11:25:18 pm by Pheeny »

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #125 on: November 27, 2021, 11:25:51 pm »
Oh yea and we need more from the anvil...

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #126 on: November 27, 2021, 11:55:42 pm »
That, and McCartney tinkling away on the piano whilst John, George and Ringo are sat around chatting with a couple of others about the staging etc for the show, and you can hear Let It Be being formed in the background whilst they’re talking.

I’m not musical, so I just find that stuff mind melting. Not even 30 years old and they’re just casually strumming/playing and out falls some of the greatest songs of all time in a few minutes, seemingly effortlessly. I can’t get my head round it!
I still find it astonishing that when The Beatles broke up, George was 26 years old!!!

All that history, all those songs, all those concerts etc etc and he was only 26. Wowzers.

I also loved in part 2 when John just casually changing the lyrics to ‘did a pony’. It’s just second nature to them. When they’re fumbling around trying to find the lyrics for ‘Get Back’ I’m forever shouting the final words to them in my head. It’s so easy in retrospect 😁
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #127 on: November 28, 2021, 12:05:27 am »
Gonna save till Christmas holiday..feels like its for an afternoon lazing on couch with sweets and a bottle of Woodford .

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #128 on: November 28, 2021, 01:31:21 am »
Just sneaked a look at the opening 45 minutes of Part 3. Bloodyhell, it’s actually more enthralling than Parts 1 and 2. Not sure how that’s possible but it is. They’re all happy as Larry. Just Wonderful. Can’t wait to see the rest of this final segment.

Flashing Blade, I envy your patience and restraint mate.

;D

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: November 28, 2021, 10:07:07 am »
Part 1 is both fascinating and tragic. Tragic to see the distance between two people that had achieved so much together, but fascinating to witness a genius actually create history in front of your eyes.
We've all loved the Beatles haven't we, but I bet even many of the arl arses like me underestimated (even just a bit) how amazing Paul McCartney was.

And to think I live bang in the middle of where John & Paul lived. These two internationally historic figures grew up right on my doorstep.

I've started Part 2 but need to go back to the beginning again. I'm loving it, I'm watching with excitement and trepidation. What the fuck happens next :)

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: November 28, 2021, 11:36:02 am »
If you've ever been in a band beyond farting around in your bedroom, this is an essential watch.

You basically get to sit in on the praccy room of one of the best groups of all time. Explaining chord changes complaining about the acoustics, arguing that each other's songs are crap, trying out songs in weird formats, getting bent out of shape over a rogue middle 8...stuff that is so familiar to me.

"E, then F# minor, then E then A"

Fucking incredible.

Paul having to be the Dad of the band, Lennon a jealous snark when George brings in his latest tunes, Ringo idly reading a paper while Paul pops out Let It Be on the piano. "Yeah just another classic song, not worth looking up from the crossword".

Also - The Palace of the King of Birds - where's this been hiding?

Loved episode 1. Can't wait to see the rest.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #131 on: November 28, 2021, 11:42:30 am »
Part 1 is both fascinating and tragic. Tragic to see the distance between two people that had achieved so much together, but fascinating to witness a genius actually create history in front of your eyes.
We've all loved the Beatles haven't we, but I bet even many of the arl arses like me underestimated (even just a bit) how amazing Paul McCartney was.

And to think I live bang in the middle of where John & Paul lived. These two internationally historic figures grew up right on my doorstep.

I've started Part 2 but need to go back to the beginning again. I'm loving it, I'm watching with excitement and trepidation. What the fuck happens next :)

First off John, speaking as a very old arl arse, once I’d moved on from early/mid 60s Beatlemania and I was old enough and passionate enough about music as the 70s and 80s progressed to develop an informed handle on the relative ‘greatness’ or otherwise of particular artists I became in no doubt whatsoever about McCartneys genius despite the tendency of so many of my peers to champion John and denigrate Paul.

As you rightly say, witnessing in this movie these classic songs of his such as Get Back, Winding Road and Let it Be emerging from small kernels is a testament to his genius but if you just reflect on his songbook prior to this then the answer was clearly always there. I mean I Saw Her Standing There, For No One, Eleanor Rigby. I mean come on fer fucks sake.  ;D

Second, as for what’s to come John. Fear not mate, it’s all good. In fact very very good esp Part 3.

;D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 11:44:49 am by Timbo's Goals »

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #132 on: November 28, 2021, 01:27:28 pm »
Halfway through the second one, amazing how the magic really starts when Billy Preston arrives. He picks it all up so fast and his smile is really infectious.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: November 28, 2021, 01:48:57 pm »
They really were a force of nature, weren't they?  The creative synchronicity they experienced just seemed to allow them to knock out what history judges to be iconic music in almost a matter of minutes, virtually at random.

I keep thinking back to if Lennon hadn't died and wondering if these guys would have got back together sometime in the 90s. Would have shat all over the decade in terms of what passed for music. They wouldn't have just toured and belted out the hits; they would have gone right back into it.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: November 28, 2021, 05:11:22 pm »
Finished this last night and thought it was incredible.

Spoiler
John seemed to open up more in part three, was a lot funnier and seemed to take an interest in the album, maybe it was the fact Yoko's divorce had gone through.

Paul was like a machine the way he was coming up with songs like Get Back and Let it be was just amazing. I liked the way in part one he was able to recite unpublished lyrics he and John had written when they were teenagers in their bedrooms.

Felt a bit sorry for George as he had all these ideas but felt he wasn't being listened to. And Ringo, didn't have much to do but still they had a go at him for hitting the drums too hard 😁

Thought it was funny too on the roof when the coppers showed up, they all stopped except for Paul who managed to get another song going.
[close]

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: November 28, 2021, 09:22:31 pm »
Finished it.
What an absolute gem of a movie.

I listened to a podcast a few weeks ago and someone said if the Beatles hadn't existed another band would have replicated their achievement because of the huge vibe that was generating back then, shortly after the emergence of rock n roll.
Fucking Bollocks.

The label legend in football is given too easy as genius is in any talent. Timbo correctly highlighted their previous greatness, but Get Back underpinned what genius' can produce in 22 days which included a huge amount of turbulent turmoil and time-wasting chatter.

There's obviously no spoilers here, but the atonement between John & Paul which resulted in a sensational roof-top performance was a delight.

We are all so fortunate that those four lads from Liverpool emerged to create something uniquely sustained that spoke to the entire planet for more than 2 generations. And will do for the foreseeable future.

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #136 on: November 28, 2021, 09:43:40 pm »
Just watched part 3. Absolutely amazing documentary about the greatest band ever. I'm 62 now , loved them as a lad and this brought it all back. Well done Peter Jackson! 😘

Offline lucabrasi

• sleepswiththefishes
  • Main Stander
« Reply #137 on: November 28, 2021, 10:07:10 pm »
Wow, amazing footage. Sometimes you really don’t believe these people are real when all you see are clips and old concert footage. This was like having or being in a dream with the real Beatles. Very hard to explain but shit it’s so great to be watching this. I don’t know why but it’s like I am part of it. Maybe it’s being born in Liverpool, maybe it’s my mothers stories of seeing them live and knowing Stu Sutcliff pretty well. Either way it’s just surreal

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: November 28, 2021, 10:39:00 pm »
I love how this film has shown them to be good mates who were still having fun in a period that history has written as a period where they were at each others throats. Interesting to read about mal evans I’d never even considered which other scousers had got swept up in the whirlwind of it all. Have a read on his wiki. He was a bouncer at the cavern and ended up being their roadie. Also ended up producing badfinger records but was killed by US police in 76.
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #139 on: November 28, 2021, 10:43:56 pm »
John knocking out an early version of Jealous Guy, was it called Road to Marrakesh?
We are Liverpool!

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #140 on: November 28, 2021, 11:11:56 pm »
John knocking out an early version of Jealous Guy, was it called Road to Marrakesh?
It was called ‘Child Of Nature‘ and was written for the White album after they went to India. It wasn’t included on the album in the end because McCartney had a song called ‘mother natures son’ and they thought it was too confusing to have two songs with similar titles.

Type it into YouTube and there’s plenty of bootleg recordings available.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 11:17:41 pm by Funky_Gibbons »

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #141 on: November 29, 2021, 01:10:58 am »
What a triumph this has been. An incredible watch. At times tense and even verging on fractious. At other times joyous and exhilarating. But mostly just riveting and absorbing as we witness at work for the very first time after all these years what was undoubtedly the collective musical genius entity of the modern age.

I’ve also got to add in the term emotional for myself at this point too. I don’t mind admitting I welled up many times during the 8 hours. As one who worshipped these four from the get go, from the time back in 1962 I overheard older lads around the bommy debating the respective merits of two strangely named songs they’d heard at this club called the Cavern, I guess it is inevitable that deep emotional connections from yesteryear are going to be triggered.

Love Me Do and PS I Love You were the two songs. It was the lads’ debut single which had evidently just that day entered the charts at number 17. It prompted me to leave my bonfire stacking duties and dash home to look at the Daily Mirror to see for myself what they were talking about.

And there it was. At number 17 in the national pop charts Love Me Do  - THE BEATLES. Amazing. Breathtaking. This local group unknown beyond our bommy actually in the national pop charts.

My God. How they then were to advance from that point in that ridiculously brief period of barely six years to conquer Britain, then Europe, then America and then the entire world whilst creating an unrivalled musical pantheon to arrive at this moment over which we are all now salivating, captured thank God for all time for all to see.

Hats off then to Peter Jackson for gifting us this masterpiece of film and presenting us with this unique historical snapshot. All three instalments completely captivating and inspirational and surely unmissable for anyone who truly loves music.

And whilst I’ve savoured every last morsel of all 8 hours I think Part 3 is simply off the scale of enjoyment as the bond between the four of them reveals itself in all its glory as John finally fully emerges from the fog that seemed to shroud him a bit in Parts 1 and 2 to show us the hugely funny and dynamic personality we all knew him to be whilst George with a little help from dear Billy Garstang breaks the world ciggy smoking record and Paul does likewise to the corresponding world record for use of the phrase “the trouble is...”. And then we have that unique rooftop concert in it’s entirety with those sensational songs performed as only they and the fantastic Billy can, beautifully juxtaposed with the street interviews and the hilarious accompanying sitcom featuring the two coppers one of whom even offers advice for them to dub the music onto the film later on  ;D .

All in all I can think of few finer ways to have spent 8 hours than being glued to this magical piece of film.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 05:19:13 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #142 on: November 29, 2021, 08:31:40 am »
I love how this film has shown them to be good mates who were still having fun in a period that history has written as a period where they were at each others throats. Interesting to read about mal evans I’d never even considered which other scousers had got swept up in the whirlwind of it all. Have a read on his wiki. He was a bouncer at the cavern and ended up being their roadie. Also ended up producing badfinger records but was killed by US police in 76.

When the original Anthology came out I got really fixated on how much he was around in everything they did, but there’s basically zero audio proof of his existence outside or after the band. Once you become aware of him he’s basically in every Beatles ‘action’ shot you ever see. Like where’s Wally. He’s probably the most privy person outside the four to everything that ever happened with them. So it’s great to finally see some of his personality. By all accounts none of them went to his funeral and he died broke and depressed.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #143 on: November 29, 2021, 08:54:55 am »
Finished part 3 last night. I wasn't intending to watch it all but got so enthralled by it that I couldn't stop. Ended up being a late night but it was well worth it.

It really did finish on a high, the move to Apple studios seemed to make the band more relaxed and Billy Preston joining the sessions completely changed the whole atmosphere compared to part 1. What a guy he is and I'm so glad he was given a prominent part in this seris.

Whenever I see footage of the bankers making complaints or the police trying to stop the concert, I wonder whether they were aware at the time they were stopping one of the most important and iconic moments in music history. The policeman seemed so casual about the whole thing. 

I can't wait to watch this back again, I think Peter Jackson did an amazing job.

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #144 on: November 29, 2021, 12:47:52 pm »
It was called ‘Child Of Nature‘ and was written for the White album after they went to India. It wasn’t included on the album in the end because McCartney had a song called ‘mother natures son’ and they thought it was too confusing to have two songs with similar titles.

Type it into YouTube and there’s plenty of bootleg recordings available.

The esher demos (available with the deluxe edition of the White Album which you can get on Spotify) has this and is also brilliant to listen to.
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #145 on: November 29, 2021, 01:16:21 pm »
The esher demos (available with the deluxe edition of the White Album which you can get on Spotify) has this and is also brilliant to listen to.
Yes, I bought that as the White Album is my favourite.

I must say Giles Martin did a magnificent job remixing those songs.

The Esther demos are great (although I wish they'd kept that version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps). 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 01:18:39 pm by Funky_Gibbons »

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: November 29, 2021, 01:19:51 pm »
I thought the whole thing was incredible. The interactions of the four were fascinating, and I particularly loved the parts where great songs are being conjured up out of the ether.

The scene where Paul conjures up Get Back on his bass guitar reminded me of the scene in Rocket Man where Elton John writes Your Song, just spine-tingling genius.

Capped off with the roof-top performance.
I wish I could wipe my memory and watch it all again for the first time, the hours absolutely flew by, I wish there was more!
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: November 29, 2021, 01:21:31 pm »
Yes, I bought that as the White Album is my favourite.

I must say Giles Martin did a magnificent job remixing those songs.

The Esther demos are great (although I wish they'd kept that version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps).

It wouldn't be the Beatles without a Martin working on the songs. :)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #148 on: November 29, 2021, 05:00:53 pm »
Never been a massive fan of them but always thought I appreciated how good they were, which now know I didn't, not even close.  Another thing I've taken away from watching these is how incredibly proud I am of them and how grateful scousers should be that we had these 4 special lads share our home.

Mad how we've had the greatest musicians and the greatest football club all from our little corner of the world
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 05:02:26 pm by Original »

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #149 on: November 29, 2021, 05:37:05 pm »
Absolutely loved it. After seeing the run time I thought it would take me a week on and off to get through it but blitzed it in 3 days.

It’s incredible what Jackson has managed to do with this footage and even more incredible this footage even exists!

They’ve always been my favourite band but seeing these bunch of Scousers who had been the biggest band in the world for 6 years already just jamming and creating classics from thin air was a joy to behold.

Macca really was the driving force though wasn’t he? By this point I think Harrison was rightly getting annoyed by being overlooked and Lennon was in the middle of his heavy drugs phase so creatively wasn’t at his best. Seeing McCartney just write Get Back, Let It Be and Long and Winding Road with minimal fuss is just incredible.

The banter and looks between them (particularly Lennon and McCartney) by the time they got to Apple was really heart warming and dispels those decades old rumours about these sessions.

Says how good it was that after 10 hours, I still wanted more and wanted to see the Abbey Road sessions

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #150 on: November 30, 2021, 03:55:02 pm »
Im up to Ep2, Ep 3 tonight. This is just such a marvellous thing we have been granted privvy to. I'm just about all the relevent metaphors and adjectives about it. I remember bibbing when I found out the beatles had split. I mustve been 5yrs old. Ive always loved them.

Although I had Let It Be 'naked', I'd not listened to it really. I listened to it again on way to work and I agree with Paul. Its better this way.

Ringo is an absolute gem of a man.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #151 on: November 30, 2021, 05:14:12 pm »

Although I had Let It Be 'naked', I'd not listened to it really. I listened to it again on way to work and I agree with Paul. Its better this way.

It is. The version of Long & Winding Road on the Naked version (and also the similar version on Anthology 3 is vastly superior to the Spector sludgefest.  Not sure anyone with functioning ears could disagree frankly.

I've only watched part 1 as I'm trying to savour it like a fine wine. My main takeaway is that most of us have underrated Paul.  He's fucking Mozart.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: November 30, 2021, 07:58:08 pm »
I love the Beatles although not as clued up as many on here would be. I've only watched the first episode and I absolutely loved it. You can really see that behind all the problems they loved eachother like brothers. My impression is that, for various reasons, George was beginning to outgrow the others. I think Paul's best songwriting days were perhaps coming to an end (is that fair?!) and John just couldn't be fucked. George on the other hand seemed to be out there, playing with and spending time with other great musicians and really learning his craft.

I felt genuinely sorry for all of them at various points but they all come across extremely well overall. Paul just desperately wanted to make it work and was trying his best to walk on egg shells. John's mind wasn't in it but you see the sense of humour and how much everyone loved him. George was the little brother trying to be heard and trying to be recognised. And then there's Ringo, everyone's mate, just a bit sick of all the shenanigans.

It's heartbreaking and heartwarming in almost equal measures. Incredible TV either way.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #153 on: December 1, 2021, 01:46:17 am »
Crack up at Magic Alex. It's sort of skirted over in this but that custom built studio he did... Crazy they were in that situation. Fella was a crank  ;D

Had to laugh, Lennon's reaction to the guitarbass prototype. "What's tha??"

Didn't stop Macca with Honey Pie / Wild Honey Pie did it! (not to mention two Revolutions)
« Last Edit: December 1, 2021, 01:50:29 am by ToneLa »

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #154 on: December 1, 2021, 01:52:37 am »
I love the Beatles although not as clued up as many on here would be. I've only watched the first episode. I think Paul's best songwriting days were perhaps coming to an end (is that fair?!) and John just couldn't be fucked. George on the other hand seemed to be out there, playing with and spending time with other great musicians and really learning his craft.

I felt genuinely sorry for all of them at various points but they all come across extremely well overall. Paul just desperately wanted to make it work and was trying his best to walk on egg shells. John's mind wasn't in it but you see the sense of humour and how much everyone loved him. George was the little brother trying to be heard.

I think you’ll draw different conclusions when you’ve watched all three episodes Alonso. I won’t spoil it for you but you’ll be pleasantly surprised by what’s to come I’m sure. As for your take on Paul’s songwriting - not so much unfair as bloody crazy mate  ;D - we’re looking at Let it Be, Get Back, Long and Winding Road plus the basis for the second side of Abbey Road. We’re witnessing musical genius on the hoof.  :)

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #155 on: December 1, 2021, 08:18:37 am »
Any chance there’s 50 hours of Abbey Road footage knocking around in a cupboard?

So ominous to see the start of the Alan Klein relationship. John meeting him for the first time and getting so effusive to George about him. I was nearly shouting at the tele, ‘don’t do it, George’!!. It’s becoming clear that while still on a knife edge band-wise, the relationship is still workable up to this roof gig era, the Klein saga is obviously what separated the two camps. Paul versus the rest. Fair play to Glyn John for seeing him for what he was, John didn’t look too happy - maybe that’s why they took it to Spector. I’ve only just seen a clip of Lennon in 74 after he and George had sacked Klein saying that Paul was right all along about him.
« Last Edit: December 1, 2021, 08:34:29 am by meady1981 »

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #156 on: December 1, 2021, 09:33:00 am »
Watched Ep3 last night. It not only re-inforced my belief that they were the greatest, but it strengthened that belief. Let It Be 'naked' is essentially a live performance album. I feel priviliged to have eavesdropped on 4 genius creatives at work. This series should win an Oscar/Nobel/Tony/Grammy etc. What an absolutely wonderful series. I could start crying. What joy these 4 scousers have given me over the years.

I had to crack up at the two coppers.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #157 on: December 1, 2021, 11:48:24 am »
Watching Episode 1 now. I was reluctant to pay the Disney subscription but there's no point watching this on some dodgy stream. The quality of the pictures and sound is so good it all feels fresh and alive.

Absolutely stunning so far. There are so many good posts already I won't go over the same ground. Amongst all of the obvious genius I'm loving the little cameos and moments like Dick James coming to chat about publishing deals and Yoko & Linda having a moment together.

And as I'm writing this:

Got up went to Twickenham
rehearsed until lunchtime -
left the Beatles - went home...

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Bcnsean

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #158 on: December 1, 2021, 12:32:56 pm »
I love the Beatles although not as clued up as many on here would be. I've only watched the first episode and I absolutely loved it. You can really see that behind all the problems they loved eachother like brothers. My impression is that, for various reasons, George was beginning to outgrow the others. I think Paul's best songwriting days were perhaps coming to an end (is that fair?!) and John just couldn't be fucked. George on the other hand seemed to be out there, playing with and spending time with other great musicians and really learning his craft.

Paul is at his peak during these sessions.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #159 on: December 1, 2021, 12:38:28 pm »
Any chance there’s 50 hours of Abbey Road footage knocking around in a cupboard?

I'll be waiting for the Band on the Run documentary - the album Get Back could have been...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.