Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3472892 times)

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #55920 on: March 19, 2023, 05:00:56 pm »
God the standard of Movies must be incredibly shite.

I finally saw that Banshee film staring Colin Farell that the internet has been raving about, the acting was good but by god it was boring tedious and had no purpose, two blokes fall out so one cuts his fingers off so the other keeps annoying him.  I mean WTF?  ;D 

I have seen more interesting episodes of Eastenders like nothing happens in this movie just feels like some day time soap episode.

The standard of posters on here is incredibly shite aswell.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #55921 on: March 19, 2023, 10:54:07 pm »
Is it safe?

No wonder my teeth are a mess if I saw this as a young teenager. Also love the ending in the sewage works / water processing plant.

Offline TankEngine10

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #55922 on: March 19, 2023, 11:42:39 pm »

I finally saw that Banshee film staring Colin Farell that the internet has been raving about, the acting was good but by god it was boring tedious and had no purpose, two blokes fall out so one cuts his fingers off so the other keeps annoying him.  I mean WTF?  ;D 

I have seen more interesting episodes of Eastenders, like nothing happens in this movie, just feels like some day time soap episode.

Fair enough, man who likes superheroes.

Offline simpleman

• Doesn't wash his willy
  • Anny Roader
  • Believer
« Reply #55923 on: March 20, 2023, 10:52:32 am »

I have seen more interesting episodes of Eastenders, like nothing happens in this movie, just feels like some day time soap episode.
I kinda agree with ya.  It didn't do much for me either.

Fearing being further controversial I'm not really a Nicolas Cage fan either.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55924 on: March 20, 2023, 04:19:57 pm »
Super Ultimate Last Ever * (Working Title) - The Final

Please Vote!  :wave

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=353916.0

When will this madness end, Samuel?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55925 on: March 20, 2023, 04:28:28 pm »
When will this madness end, Samuel?

;D

Tonight.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55926 on: March 20, 2023, 09:42:21 pm »
Saw Shazam 2 today, wasn't anywhere near as fun as the first one sadly.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55927 on: March 22, 2023, 08:35:23 pm »
Everything Everywhere All At Once - I just didn't get it.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #55928 on: March 23, 2023, 03:54:37 pm »

I got about 80% of it then thought "Oh is this STILL going?"

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #55929 on: March 23, 2023, 11:40:29 pm »
I find I'm really up and down with getting to watching films for the first time, but have also found it's been great for me - it's got me to watch three classics that I've had on the 'watchlist' what feels like forever, so good to have a little nudge/prompt.

Seen Citizen Kane, Barry Lyndon and Anatomy of a Murder (all 8ish hours of them!) so far and loved it. When I next fancy a french film I'm defo stealing one of telekons - maybe Stolen Kisses

Did you ever get around to it, mate? Have you seen some of the French new wave before?
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55930 on: March 24, 2023, 07:50:22 am »
Off to waste a couple of hours this morning by watching John Wick 4, 170 minutes of violent stupidity, just the ticket.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55931 on: March 24, 2023, 08:30:06 am »
Off to waste a couple of hours this morning by watching John Wick 4, 170 minutes of violent stupidity, just the ticket.

Yep, got that booked for this afternoon.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55932 on: March 24, 2023, 08:37:55 am »

Really enjoyed it and the missus did too :)

Great story idea and well acted with just two hoomans not having to exposition or spoil the plot. The film let you just work it out. Even nicer was the dynamic that they didn't understand each others language

Spoiler

Even better than that! The pilot, having lost his child and being unable to see her before she died was brilliantly done and very sad :(  Didn't shove it in your face. You had to piece it together and his loss and his giving up when he sent the message to rescue him and alert them amounted to 'don't bother'. When he saw the girl and helped her out, didn't need loads of cheesy bullshit. Very solidly done and all the better for you having to work it out yourself.

[close]

The action scenes were well done, but given how quickly the dinos jumped on anything, they'd both have been toast.

8/10
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55933 on: March 24, 2023, 04:11:22 pm »
John Wick 4 was great fun, perhaps 20 minutes too long, but really enjoyable, the choreography was just superb.  Had a trailer for Evil Dead Rises prior, that's another I'll definitely be leaving my couch for.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55934 on: March 25, 2023, 10:14:48 am »
Went to see John Wick 4 last night. The body count as you would expect is high, but trust me when I say it’s ridiculously high!!

The movie looks good and sounds even better though. Especially on the Odeon iSense screen.

Got home for a pizza and watched the ‘Limehouse Golem’. Had it sat on my TV recordings for months. Really enjoyed this Victorian horror/ mystery thriller.  Cracking performances from an all-star British cast.

Douglas Booth was especially good. First movie I’ve watched with him in, he’s really good to be fair.

Rounded off a really enjoyable Friday evening. :)

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55935 on: March 25, 2023, 10:16:28 am »
The Japanese segment in John Wick 4 looked absolutely amazing, cracking soundtrack.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55936 on: March 25, 2023, 04:08:22 pm »
John Wick 4 was great fun. Some really inventive fights and camera work.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55937 on: March 25, 2023, 05:34:30 pm »
Haven’t seen JW4, but that whole franchise has been great. Just straight shooting, well made action movies with fun choreography and zero fat.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55938 on: March 25, 2023, 06:08:32 pm »
I really, really enjoyed John Wick 4, but I do think it's a bit 'flabby' in places, they could have shed 15-20 minutes.  The cinematography, choreography and soundtrack are the best of the series though, at least in my opinion.  I doubt Keanu Reeves spoke more than 100 words in the whole film but he still embodies the character brilliantly, the rest of the cast are great, Donnie Yen is a joy to watch and Bill Skarsgard is suitably sleazy as the main villain.  I really liked Akira (Rina Sawayama), probably my favourite character.  Ian McShane was Ian McShane, by that I mean fucking awesome.

I've been to the cinema maybe five times this year, this was the most fun (until Evil Dead Rises anyways which looks fantastic).

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55939 on: March 25, 2023, 07:07:19 pm »
Saw the Trailer for "Sisu" last night while at JW4.  From the same studio that brought us JW.  It looks awesome.

A Finnish historical action film.  It follows a gold prospector who attempts to secure his gold from a Nazi death squad led by a brutal Schutzstaffel officer.

Its defo next on my cinema watch list.

Watched the red band trailer earlier today, its gonna be brutal fun all the way. :)

Offline Disregarder

• Andshe'llripyerknackersoff
  • Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #55940 on: March 26, 2023, 06:13:54 pm »

Fell asleep watching it last night. Didn't find it engaging at all despite it being the sort of thing I'd normally be into with the dimension hopping element like Umbrella Academy and Dirk Gently. Normally love a bit of over the top kung-fu as well but the whole thing seemed flat. 
My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #55941 on: March 27, 2023, 11:13:28 am »
I know it's been out a while, but watched Aquaman for the first time last night.

Jesus.

What utter shite. Worst film I've seen in a long while. The dialogue was terrible; plotting like a bunch of kids have grabbed all the clichés they could find; acting wooden. Gave a sense it was a bit tragic seeing heavyweights like Dafoe & Kidman delivering those lines.

I think a spotted every plot twist/development from a mile off, and by the end was just laughing at how silly it was.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55942 on: March 27, 2023, 11:40:38 am »
I know it's been out a while, but watched Aquaman for the first time last night.

Jesus.

What utter shite. Worst film I've seen in a long while. The dialogue was terrible; plotting like a bunch of kids have grabbed all the clichés they could find; acting wooden. Gave a sense it was a bit tragic seeing heavyweights like Dafoe & Kidman delivering those lines.

I think a spotted every plot twist/development from a mile off, and by the end was just laughing at how silly it was.

You spelt 'Lost in Translation' wrong :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline TankEngine10

• Anny Roader
« Reply #55943 on: March 27, 2023, 05:00:06 pm »
I'm not really into the superhero genre anyway but it does seem like all the DC ones are particularly putrid.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55944 on: March 27, 2023, 05:24:41 pm »
I'm not really into the superhero genre anyway but it does seem like all the DC ones are particularly putrid.

I've liked maybe 3-5 movies of that whole genre since they blew up with the Marvel and DC robotic production lines,they must've made dozens of them by now i've lost count.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55945 on: March 27, 2023, 05:40:07 pm »
I've liked maybe 3-5 movies of that whole genre since they blew up with the Marvel and DC robotic production lines,they must've made dozens of them by now i've lost count.

Ha same, liked a few, particularly the Guardians of the Galaxy films and a few others but in the main, they're just a bit dull. Maybe cos there's so many of them that look and feel so similar they eventually all just mesh together so that it's difficult to tell one from another unless you're really paying attention.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55946 on: March 27, 2023, 05:48:17 pm »
Went to see an old Japanese film called The Million Ryo Pot (1935), part of a Japanese film festival.

Nice film that stands up well. It's on YouTube if anyone wants to check it out, a bit in the style of some Kurosawa's early films. I only learn after the story about the director (below, it's wild), could have been seen today as another Kurosawa:

"Yamanaka’s films were considered fairly subversive for the extremely imperialistic and politically conservative Japanese. So, in 1937 when Yamanaka’s film Humanity and Paper Balloons opened in theaters, Yamanaka was drafted into the army and sent into Manchukuo, which was a Japanese ruled outpost in modern day Manchuria. While there he died of dysentery. He was twenty eight years old.

Meanwhile, the Japanese government burned many of his more provocative films and then years later Douglas MacArthur, after basically installing himself as the president of Japan, destroyed any films which he felt went against a democratic world-view. Thus, many of Sadao Yamanaka’s films were converted to ash. Today only three of his films survive in full: The Million Ryo Pot (1935), The Priest of Darkness (1936), and Humanity and Paper Balloons (1937)."
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55947 on: March 27, 2023, 05:59:16 pm »
Ha same, liked a few, particularly the Guardians of the Galaxy films and a few others but in the main, they're just a bit dull. Maybe cos there's so many of them that look and feel so similar they eventually all just mesh together so that it's difficult to tell one from another unless you're really paying attention.

Yeah mate exactly,for me the of the broad genre i've liked Dark Knight(the others in the series were decent but not great i thought),the first Guardians otg movie,the first of the X-men movies,Watchmen (excellent imo),maybe Logan and then it gets harder.

I've not seen nearly all of them and have to say as a big Star Wars and Trek fan the same applies to them as well,tv and movies both,mostly been shite.  :D

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #55948 on: March 27, 2023, 06:47:35 pm »
Just watched Knock at the Cabin, it was ok.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55949 on: March 27, 2023, 08:03:50 pm »
Yeah mate exactly,for me the of the broad genre i've liked Dark Knight(the others in the series were decent but not great i thought),the first Guardians otg movie,the first of the X-men movies,Watchmen (excellent imo),maybe Logan and then it gets harder.

I've not seen nearly all of them and have to say as a big Star Wars and Trek fan the same applies to them as well,tv and movies both,mostly been shite.  :D

Yeah I liked The Dark Knight too. I'm the same with Star Wars, they're ok but there's a lot of them and it's hard to keep up with everything! But it's not really my thing, like I don't love those types of films so that's probably why I don't have the patience to follow absolutely that's going on.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55950 on: March 29, 2023, 12:31:34 pm »
Watched John Wick 4, pretty much what I expected. It's a John Wick film, so you know what you're going to get. Decent.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55951 on: March 29, 2023, 03:10:55 pm »
Watched John Wick 4, pretty much what I expected. It's a John Wick film, so you know what you're going to get. Decent.
Just watched Knock at the Cabin, it was ok.

Mark Kermode eat your heart out.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #55952 on: March 29, 2023, 03:11:44 pm »

Watched Schindler's List. Bit heavy

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55953 on: March 29, 2023, 03:16:27 pm »

Hahah, I could go into more detail if you want, but honestly John Wick, is John Wick, if you've seem one you know exactly what you're going to get.

Knock at the cabin, I did enjoy Batista's performance, but that was about it. I watched it, it didn't do anything else for me.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55954 on: March 29, 2023, 03:22:39 pm »
John Wick 4 is basically John Wick on crack, I'll give you that.  I haven't seen Knock At The Cabin, most people I know either think it's shit or great, yours is the only opinion I've seen that is like 'meh', alright like, which is a step up for most of Shyamalan's (or however you spell his name) films of late.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #55955 on: March 29, 2023, 03:23:03 pm »
Watched Schindler's List. Bit heavy

Watched Jaws. Bit sharky.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55956 on: March 29, 2023, 03:23:56 pm »
Watched The Abyss, it's a bit deep.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55957 on: March 29, 2023, 03:26:09 pm »
John Wick 4 is basically John Wick on crack, I'll give you that.  I haven't seen Knock At The Cabin, most people I know either think it's shit or great, yours is the only opinion I've seen that is like 'meh', alright like, which is a step up for most of Shyamalan's (or however you spell his name) films of late.

Knock at the Cabin is apparently based off a book which I didn't know. I mean I get the whole premise of it, but honestly wasn't that engaged in it. As for M.Night Shahahabala I liked the whole Split/Glass series, other than that, his recent movies have been proper shit. This one I agree was a step up to meh.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55958 on: March 29, 2023, 03:27:22 pm »

An opportunity missed,

"A bit long in the tooth"

Shameful

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #55959 on: March 29, 2023, 03:32:09 pm »
'Watched Jaws. It wasn't about a shark' would be very Kermody though.

Anyway, new Wes Anderson trailer released.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0xlNlzBTY_E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0xlNlzBTY_E</a>

In the words of Nigel Tufnell: How much more Wes Anderson could this be? The answer is none. None more Wes Anderson-y'

(Bill Murray got covid so had to drop out. So he got Tom Hanks instead).
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75