Author Topic: Rawk Preview: Aston Villa v Liverpool, Saturday 24th August  (Read 65302 times)

Offline Dubai_Red

• Can smell nullshit from 4,608 miles away
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Rawk Preview: Aston Villa v Liverpool, Saturday 24th August
« Reply #280 on: August 23, 2013, 10:01:16 am »
As others have mentioned, full backs will be key. Johnson and Enrique need to be on their game, as well as Agger and Toure. Personally, I think the spotlight is on them 4 more than anyone, particularly the full backs, both of whom are prone to lapses in concentration.

You make it sound like we are playing Barca at the camp nou. Its villa for goodness sake. Yes respect all opposition, but in context.

Play our own game, take our chances and I'm confident that our back 5 + lucas can deal with anything that they have to offer.

to be honest, against arsenal, they got 2 pens and arsenal lost a player. 3rd goal came when arsenal were pushing for an equaliser. It wasn't a master class by any stretch!

Offline indlfc

• Moany whiner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool will always be my home.
« Reply #281 on: August 23, 2013, 10:02:02 am »
Will be disappointed if Allen starts as expected, not that I don't like him (he's a great player) but we play him out of position behind the striker and his strengths aren't suited to that position. Gerrard needs to be the more advanced one.
             Sturridge
Hendo       Coutinho        Aspas

SG           Lucas
JE       Agger        Kolo         GJ
This is our strongest team. Allen starting means Coutinho pushed out wide. I hope Allen sits on bench for this one.
There is only one family, it is the Liverpool family.

Offline indlfc

• Moany whiner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: August 23, 2013, 10:03:30 am »
You make it sound like we are playing Barca at the camp nou. Its villa for goodness sake. Yes respect all opposition, but in context.

Play our own game, take our chances and I'm confident that our back 5 + lucas can deal with anything that they have to offer.

to be honest, against arsenal, they got 2 pens and arsenal lost a player. 3rd goal came when arsenal were pushing for an equaliser. It wasn't a master class by any stretch!
I think he was mentioning about our troubles dealing with tall and strong strikers.

Offline incredibleL4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: August 23, 2013, 10:51:39 am »
I think we should make an enquiry about Benteke's availability, just to unsettle them.  Its what everyone else does to us.

Online robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #284 on: August 23, 2013, 11:07:22 am »
Which kit we'll play in?
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #285 on: August 23, 2013, 11:12:35 am »
As others have mentioned, full backs will be key. Johnson and Enrique need to be on their game, as well as Agger and Toure. Personally, I think the spotlight is on them 4 more than anyone, particularly the full backs, both of whom are prone to lapses in concentration.
Middle of the park is we're Villa won it v Arsenal , they were very aggressive closing own in a pack of 3 and won all the battles then hit on the counter down the wings and through the middle
Just hopes Lucas Henderson and Gerrard are on top form 

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: August 23, 2013, 11:18:41 am »
Which kit we'll play in?

Hopefully the Space Invaders kit and just hope some of the Villa players suffer with either pattern induced migraines or strobe related epilepsy.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Thog

• Seeking oral advice. Hibernates outside of the transfer windows.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: August 23, 2013, 11:22:01 am »
Rodgers picked Henderson over Allen last week because he obviously thought he was the better fit for that game despite people claiming there's some sort of favouritism going on. So I trust whatever he feels is right for this game.

Offline Thog

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: August 23, 2013, 11:22:33 am »
Is this a 3 kick off?

Think this will be a big weekend for Aspas, reminds me a lot of Owen. Haven't been this excited to see our attacking play in a long time, although thinking about us defending set pieces still makes me wince.

17:30 BST, Sky Sports.

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: August 23, 2013, 11:24:40 am »
Middle of the park is we're Villa won it v Arsenal , they were very aggressive closing own in a pack of 3 and won all the battles then hit on the counter down the wings and through the middle

Yeah the big danger for us is loosing the ball to their 3 terriers in the middle of the field whilst we've pushed up allow then to chuck it in behind for their front 3. And it'll be a danger all game. As you say we need our midfield to be on top form to play through and around their midfield and also kill any counter before it can start.

I think the way Villa are setup that any attacking team will get exposed on the counter and give up a good chance against them even if its just once. It'll come down to how we handle those 2 or 3 occasion and whether we can put any of our 15+ shots into the net.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: August 23, 2013, 11:27:16 am »
Rodgers picked Henderson over Allen last week because he obviously thought he was the better fit for that game despite people claiming there's some sort of favouritism going on. So I trust whatever he feels is right for this game.

Henderson fitted the system. Playing as a right midfielder tucking in allowing us to play two up front. Kind of a lopsided 442.

It'll be interesting what he goes with away from home. Maybe Aspas out for Allen to make a midfield 3 and Henderson out for Sterling to give us more attacking threat down the right.

Online robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #291 on: August 23, 2013, 11:38:43 am »
Hopefully the Space Invaders kit and just hope some of the Villa players suffer with either pattern induced migraines or strobe related epilepsy.

;D
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: August 23, 2013, 11:41:15 am »
rodgers pre villa presser

http://t.co/uLfs5QXFLM

Offline Gitsy606

• Anny Roader
« Reply #293 on: August 23, 2013, 11:46:01 am »
Yeah the big danger for us is loosing the ball to their 3 terriers in the middle of the field whilst we've pushed up allow then to chuck it in behind for their front 3. And it'll be a danger all game. As you say we need our midfield to be on top form to play through and around their midfield and also kill any counter before it can start.

I think the way Villa are setup that any attacking team will get exposed on the counter and give up a good chance against them even if its just once. It'll come down to how we handle those 2 or 3 occasion and whether we can put any of our 15+ shots into the net

Villa are a decent side but I will bet we will create near twice as many chances as them and we will win the game if we put a couple away, if we don't we won't.

We will probably sit a little deeper to stop us being hit so easy on the counter and give us the chance to do the same to them. Sterling should start with countino and sturridge as a front 3 which would be a huge treat on the break.

Offline AK47

• Needs to get a manly man's room. Grrrr.
  • Kopite
  • So it's on and on and on, it's Heaven and Hell
« Reply #294 on: August 23, 2013, 11:47:58 am »
I think we should make an enquiry about Benteke's availability, just to unsettle them.  Its what everyone else does to us.
I like it! :)
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Offline h4ns3n

• Main Stander
  • Didn't watch 2nd half Istanbul - was shagging
    • Microsoft BI Consulting
« Reply #295 on: August 23, 2013, 12:27:29 pm »
rodgers pre villa presser

http://t.co/uLfs5QXFLM

On a positive note at least BR knows that A) Villa look to counter attack at every opportunity B) They have Gabby and Weimann attacking out wide and Benteke down the middle C) He knows they're playing their first home game so they'll want to do well

See, nothing to worry about! We've got this one wrapped up!   :P

You can never lose a homing pigeon - if your homing pigeon doesn't come back, what you've lost is a pigeon.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: August 23, 2013, 12:28:20 pm »
17:30 BST, Sky Sports.

Have SKY lost all the lunchtime kick-offs?  They were the only games I could watch : (

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: August 23, 2013, 12:37:47 pm »
Have SKY lost all the lunchtime kick-offs?  They were the only games I could watch : (

Yep. BT sports have them now

Offline MobileBayRed

• Kopite
« Reply #298 on: August 23, 2013, 01:22:26 pm »
Think this is going to be a big test for Lucas, as I see him key to stopping Villa's counter.

Mignolet

/\                                                                   /\ 
         |                                     Agger                      |
         |                         \                   /                      |
         |                          \                /                        |
         |                           \  Toure  /                          |
         |                         <Benteke>                          |
<Agbonlahor>                                                <Wiemann>

Johnson                                                              Enrique
                          Gerrard             Lucas

If Toure is constantly forced to step up and mark Benteke, I think we leave ourselves wide open down the channels to Agbonlahor and Wiemann.  This puts way too much pressure on Toure to win every duel with Benteke.  With Johnson and Enrique pushing forward, as always, it will be far too easy for Benteke to play balls in the channels behind our FB.

By contrast:

Mignolet

<--------Toure           Agger------->                     

|
                                       Lucas 
                                   <Benteke>                         

Johnson                        Gerrard                         Enrique

If Lucas stays disciplined and marks Benteke on any outlets, Toure and Agger can stay behind the play and give help into the channels.  If Lucas, Johnson and Enrique get stretched too far forward, we could be in trouble.  I still feel that Agbonlahor and Wiemann scare me as much, if not more than Benteke due to the way we push our Fullbacks so far up the pitch.

Rodgers could also opt to play Allen, instead of Henderson, and let Allen sit deep next to Lucas, pushing Gerrard forward.  Then Toure steps up to mark Benteke and Allen and Lucas must guard the channels in behind Johnson and Enrique.  That leaves us a little short up front.

This will be a game with lots of goals in it.  Should be a fun chess match to watch.
just can't confirm that delivery address and consequently gets non stop pelters off PayPal.

Offline Thog

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: August 23, 2013, 01:29:31 pm »

Good post, this is why I believe we should go 3-4-3 for this game as long as Skrtel is fit.

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: August 23, 2013, 01:39:12 pm »

:lmao

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #301 on: August 23, 2013, 01:58:51 pm »
Tune in for Rawk's Round Table on this 2-5 away win, same channel.

This little tongue in cheek prediction has been irking me all week. What if I was right?

So, in one of the more outlandish bets I have made, I just put a couple of shekels on that scoreline, 125/1.

Offline indlfc

• Moany whiner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: August 23, 2013, 02:12:20 pm »
Think this is going to be a big test for Lucas, as I see him key to stopping Villa's counter.

Mignolet

/\                                                                   /\ 
         |                                     Agger                      |
         |                         \                   /                      |
         |                          \                /                        |
         |                           \  Toure  /                          |
         |                         <Benteke>                          |

Johnson                                                              Enrique
                          Gerrard             Lucas

If Toure is constantly forced to step up and mark Benteke, I think we leave ourselves wide open down the channels to Agbonlahor and Wiemann.  This puts way too much pressure on Toure to win every duel with Benteke.  With Johnson and Enrique pushing forward, as always, it will be far too easy for Benteke to play balls in the channels behind our FB.

By contrast:

Mignolet

<--------Toure           Agger------->                     

|
                                       Lucas 
                                   <Benteke>                         

Johnson                        Gerrard                         Enrique

If Lucas stays disciplined and marks Benteke on any outlets, Toure and Agger can stay behind the play and give help into the channels.  If Lucas, Johnson and Enrique get stretched too far forward, we could be in trouble.  I still feel that Agbonlahor and Wiemann scare me as much, if not more than Benteke due to the way we push our Fullbacks so far up the pitch.

Rodgers could also opt to play Allen, instead of Henderson, and let Allen sit deep next to Lucas, pushing Gerrard forward.  Then Toure steps up to mark Benteke and Allen and Lucas must guard the channels in behind Johnson and Enrique.  That leaves us a little short up front.

This will be a game with lots of goals in it.  Should be a fun chess match to watch.
Lucas and Benteke battling for ball especially areal ones would be a fun to watch. It should be Toure.

Offline Thog

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: August 23, 2013, 02:13:46 pm »
Henderson fitted the system. Playing as a right midfielder tucking in allowing us to play two up front. Kind of a lopsided 442.

It'll be interesting what he goes with away from home. Maybe Aspas out for Allen to make a midfield 3 and Henderson out for Sterling to give us more attacking threat down the right.

That was my point, if Rodgers favoured Allen so much then he'd of played the 4-3-3 instead of the 4-2-3-1.

I believe Allen comes in for Henderson this week mate. Just hope he's not played behind the striker but Geerard is.

Offline Thog

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: August 23, 2013, 02:18:41 pm »
Lucas and Benteke battling for ball especially areal ones would be a fun to watch. It should be Toure.

Lucas is very good in the air. Ideally you want your holding midfielder dealing with Benteke because if Toure gets beat then Agger could be left exposed from the knock on to Agbonlahor or Weimann who will support the lone striker. For me they almost play with three strikers so I'd play 3-4-3, just so we aren't outnumbered at times as we're too open, particularly on the break where they excel.

Offline El_Pistolero7

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird upon my chest...
« Reply #305 on: August 23, 2013, 02:21:38 pm »
Good post, this is why I believe we should go 3-4-3 for this game as long as Skrtel is fit.

Agreed,

Could this work?

----------- Skrtel --------- Toure --------- Agger ----------

Johnson -----------Gerrard------- Lucas ---------------- Enrique

-------------- Coutinho ------------ Henderson ----------------

-------------------------- Sturridge ------------------------------
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 02:23:12 pm by El_Pistolero7 »

Offline Fisk

• Kemlynite
« Reply #306 on: August 23, 2013, 02:22:49 pm »

+1 :D

Offline Eliit

• Kopite
« Reply #307 on: August 23, 2013, 02:57:53 pm »
VillaTalk is a funny place. They think that we're completely delusional yet almost everyone there expects them to put at least 3 past us. 
Think it'll be a close game, but we'll just edge it.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #308 on: August 23, 2013, 02:59:46 pm »
VillaTalk is a funny place. They think that we're completely delusional yet almost everyone there expects them to put at least 3 past us. 
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: August 23, 2013, 03:00:49 pm »
Lucas is very good in the air. Ideally you want your holding midfielder dealing with Benteke because if Toure gets beat then Agger could be left exposed from the knock on to Agbonlahor or Weimann who will support the lone striker. For me they almost play with three strikers so I'd play 3-4-3, just so we aren't outnumbered at times as we're too open, particularly on the break where they excel.

Really if your holding mid is seriously outmatched aerially it would make more sense for your aerially dominant Cb (in this case toure) to track the target man while the holding mid fills gaps created by him being pulled out of position.  Most holding mids will do this effortlessly but whether Lucas can or not is another matter.  Does he have the speed, strength or aerial ability to fill in while toure tracks his man?

Offline Scouse-Con

• Anny Roader
  • We Are The Legionnaires Expect Us.
« Reply #310 on: August 23, 2013, 03:03:34 pm »

I read the forums when they beat Arsenal and one of them said they were going to get Champions League football deadly serious aswell  :lmao
Knowledge Is Free.
We Are Anonymous.
We Are Legion.

We Do Not Forgive.
We Do Not Forget.
Expect Us.

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: August 23, 2013, 03:03:37 pm »

I disagree. I can see it going one of two ways. Either we're clinical, take our good chances and win comfortably 2 or 3 nil. Or we'll get completey done on the break and end up losing 3-1 or something.

I don't think they're good enough defending constant pressure or we're good enough defending top quality counter attacks for it to be close.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #312 on: August 23, 2013, 03:50:59 pm »
---------------Mignolet----------------

------Wisdom---Toure---Agger----------

-Johnson---------Lucas----------Enrique-

----------Henderson----Gerrard---------

---------------Coutinho----------------

----------------Sturridge---------------

Last season BR went for a solid team, with Downing starting and Sturridge starting on the bench. Given Villa's good start and the threat they carry going forward, I think he'll want to contain the spaces they can move into - especially when they break.

I like Wisdom as part of the three at the back because not only is he a good defender but he's quick and his recovery is good. Johnson and Enrique can both give enough width. Coutinho started wide last season I remember, but didn't have a particularly good game. BR kept the same system when Raheem came on.

We need to control the middle and get Hendo breaking ahead of Coutinho and Sturridge. Hendo is good at that, and he's also a workhorse - he will get run all day and chase, and press which is important in Villa's set up. I don't think we need someone like Allen trying to dictate the play further up the pitch, I don't think it's going to be that comfortable for us.

Maybe it's too safe a lineup for a BR team but it has a nice balance and it has experience.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #313 on: August 23, 2013, 03:56:37 pm »
Ciara, if i was to play 3 at the back, I would be inclined to play a more attacking CM than Lucas, as he tends to play a more Sweeperesque type role.

I wouldnt change the way we're playing for villa, they'll come at us, but really, we're better and have shown that for a while now. Higher tempo will do this for us.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline lessthanmatt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: August 23, 2013, 04:06:40 pm »

:o Gee I wish you hadn't intrigued me to go there. You'd think they reached 81 points last season, not 41. Every club forum thinks every other club forum is deluded as fuck though, in my experience.

We're not going to walk over them and they're not gonna walk over us.
"I want to get off Mr. Rodgers Wild Ride"

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #315 on: August 23, 2013, 04:09:08 pm »
The Villa fan's need a little dose of reality me thinks.

Offline simply_red

• Holding back the tears. Of negativity. Utter negativity.
  • Kopite
« Reply #316 on: August 23, 2013, 04:12:42 pm »
I didn't watch their games at Arse and Chelsea but the scores say they've been hard to beat. However I feel confident about our chances of winning there as they seem harder to beat when we play them at Anfield.

Defend well the set pieces, Kolo to manage keeping Benteke quiet and we should be fine.
kopblocks.com

FSG out.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: August 23, 2013, 04:18:04 pm »
Steven Gerrard has scored more goals against Aston Villa (12) than any other Premier League side.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 04:24:11 pm by sinnermichael »

Offline LucasLeiva

• Anny Roader
  • Remember My Name
« Reply #318 on: August 23, 2013, 04:31:40 pm »

Mentioned this earlier in this thread, Arsenal were slow on the ball and when Villa won it back they broke quickly. I used Delph's chance as an example:

Wilshere slow on the ball, got the ball took off him in his own half allowing a fast counter attack, nearly leading to a goal.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: August 23, 2013, 04:42:05 pm »
Lessons will definitely have been learnt since the 1-3 last season, think we severely underestimated them with all the pre-match bollocks after we had won 2 in a row. Benteke is a hand full, but I feel Toure is more capable physically of handling him than either Agger or Skrtel. Westwood is a decent player and Delph seems have become a footballer somehow plus the front 3 with cause problems. Villa fans all massively confident of beating us, so hope we stamp authority on the game early on and get a goal, otherwise I feel they can hurt us if they get their tails up. Our first test of the season, excited to see how we respond.