Author Topic: Diogo Jota (Diogo José Teixeira da Silva)  (Read 546763 times)

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
Re: Welcome Diogo Jota
« Reply #360 on: September 29, 2020, 11:42:05 am »
A lively start from him, but I thought that the ball deflected off his arm for the goal. I'd have been fuming if Arsenal had equalized in similar circumstances.
It came off his thigh, and hit his upper arm. That's not handball. If you'd have been fuming at a similar call at the other end, you'd have been wrong.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 11:43:57 am by JC the Messiah »
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: September 29, 2020, 11:45:07 am »
Excited to see what this lad looks like after spending some time working with Klopp. Most of the things you could possibly want in a forward look to be there already.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #362 on: September 29, 2020, 11:49:51 am »
Thought he looked the part, you know.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #363 on: September 29, 2020, 11:52:05 am »
Looks like excellent vover for Mane and Salah with Minamino covering for Bobby.

Lovely.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #364 on: September 29, 2020, 12:01:25 pm »

Lovely.

Yeah it really helps our depth. He’s not just cover for Sadio. And if the others need a rest you could still play Jota left and Mané right. Suddenly seem full of depth everywhere now (in midfield and up front anyway).

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: September 29, 2020, 12:49:35 pm »

Lovely.

Yep. Is Origi now 7th choice? I think Shaqiri starts ahead of him on the right.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #366 on: September 29, 2020, 12:58:27 pm »
We’ll have to rotate a fair bit I think too, he’s too good to just be a supersub and starting cup games
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: September 29, 2020, 01:01:19 pm »
Yep. Is Origi now 7th choice? I think Shaqiri starts ahead of him on the right.

Think Jota plays on the right (or Mane right, Jota left) before we start Shaqiri. Don't know if he's injured again, but Origi was on the bench yesterday, while Shaq wasn't. Can't imagine Origi now being 6th choice at the moment. The cup lineup will tell us a lot about that.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #368 on: September 29, 2020, 01:05:23 pm »
We’ll have to rotate a fair bit I think too, he’s too good to just be a supersub and starting cup games
I think it'll be a case of this, this season. Jota is almost 4 years younger than Sadio and Mo, so it's succession planning whilst bedding him in, without the need for him to carry the pressure that goes with being Sadio Mane or Mohamed Salah. It's what you'd expect from our set up and the three-into-two rotational possibilities mean we'll likely always have a stronger front line out than we can always have said in previous seasons.

He absolutely looked the part, some nervy finishing with his first and should've maybe been more vocal with Mo after that mess up, but took his goal well and with that out the way I expect to see less of the misplaced finishing and more goals.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: September 29, 2020, 01:30:15 pm »
Looking forward to seeing him start (and maybe bag a couple) on Thursday.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: September 29, 2020, 01:32:56 pm »
Well I liked what I saw. He backed himself with the ball, took players on, took shots on and kept going till he scored. Hmmm, reminds me of a certain Egyptian.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: September 29, 2020, 01:33:53 pm »
Mido?

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: September 29, 2020, 01:37:47 pm »
He looks the part to the point that it allows us to sell Origi and Brewster to teams who will play them, and thereby recoup some/most of his fee. Constant evolution, small gains and all that jazz.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: September 29, 2020, 01:39:02 pm »
Not that it matters but any reason why that goal wasn't disallowed for handball?

Looked a handball to me (off his arm.)

I can't keep up with the rule changes on this but I just wondered whether it was correctly allowed or we got away with one?

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #374 on: September 29, 2020, 02:20:50 pm »
It came off his thigh, and hit his upper arm. That's not handball. If you'd have been fuming at a similar call at the other end, you'd have been wrong.

The way the handball rule is being applied, I now have no clue what's permissible and what's not.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: September 29, 2020, 02:20:55 pm »
Not that it matters but any reason why that goal wasn't disallowed for handball?

I can't keep up with the rule changes on this but I just wondered whether it was correctly allowed or we got away with one?

I don't think it actually hits his arm - looks like he controls it with his knee and it bounces of his chest, but because his arms out it looks like it hits his arm. But it is very hard to see clearly!

It's similar to the Van Dijk incident last season which wasn't a handball either.

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #376 on: September 29, 2020, 02:24:44 pm »
Very promising start and it's always good for a new player to get a goal early on. A decent performance on Thursday would seal his 'arrival' with the team.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #377 on: September 29, 2020, 02:49:18 pm »
Think Jota plays on the right (or Mane right, Jota left) before we start Shaqiri. Don't know if he's injured again, but Origi was on the bench yesterday, while Shaq wasn't.
Can't have everyone on the bench. Could have had more if the PL chairmen weren't so myopic. I expect Shaq will start on Thursday
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: September 29, 2020, 02:54:48 pm »
It came off his thigh, and hit his upper arm. That's not handball.

Depends where on the 'upper arm' it hit him. Everywhere from fingertips up to 'level with the armpit' counts as handball. However, I don't know if that means the whole ball has to be above the armpit line or just part of it.

You can tell by the way he's moving his arm backwards that it must have hit him at least partially above the armpit line. I'd call it more his shoulder than his upper arm, to be honest.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #379 on: September 29, 2020, 02:56:20 pm »
Depends where on the 'upper arm' it hit him. Everywhere from fingertips up to 'level with the armpit' counts as handball. However, I don't know if that means the whole ball has to be above the armpit line or just part of it.

You can tell by the way he's moving his arm backwards that it must have hit him at least partially above the armpit line. I'd call it more his shoulder than his upper arm, to be honest.
Think they've changed the parameters and up to the T-shirt line, i.e the rounded curve of the shoulder down to the start of the bicep is now not counted as handball. Or something.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: September 29, 2020, 02:58:31 pm »
Think they've changed the parameters and up to the T-shirt line, i.e the rounded curve of the shoulder down to the start of the bicep is now not counted as handball. Or something.

Ah, I see... I think.

Absolutely definitely not handball in that case. I think.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #381 on: September 29, 2020, 03:00:52 pm »
I heard an explanation that instead of the line going from the arm-pit up, it now goes from the arm-pit horizontally.

It hit his upper arm above that imaginary line.

As mentioned, it's roughly where the sleeve sits (unless it's a longer sleeve!).
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #382 on: September 29, 2020, 05:12:44 pm »
His Mane trajectory is off to a good start.

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #383 on: September 29, 2020, 05:17:43 pm »
Scoring in his debut against Arsenal... hmm, I spy a pattern

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #384 on: September 29, 2020, 05:23:42 pm »
Scoring in his debut against Arsenal... hmm, I spy a pattern

He didn’t get a piggyback off Klopp. He’s never going to make it here.

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: September 29, 2020, 05:45:58 pm »

He's already a full Portugal international, isn't he? Phew. At least that means there's no chance of him getting called up to AFCON due to his Nigerian grandmother or something.

Does he have a broken iPhone?

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #386 on: September 29, 2020, 06:34:16 pm »
Was really impressed with Jota last night. Was a big decision to hook Mane but it came off.

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: September 29, 2020, 08:20:07 pm »

Because he plays for us and the refs apply different rules when it comes to us to ensure we win the title again...

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: September 29, 2020, 08:36:15 pm »
I really like how he fits our style of play.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: September 29, 2020, 11:24:28 pm »

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: September 30, 2020, 12:18:21 am »
The way the handball rule is being applied, I now have no clue what's permissible and what's not.

Read the rules then. His arm wasn’t in an unnatural position. He didn’t stick his arm out to control it.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
« Reply #391 on: September 30, 2020, 04:16:56 am »
He's gonna score loads

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: September 30, 2020, 07:13:33 am »
It didn't hit his arm. The angle is deceiving. It just hit his chest near to his arm but not his arm.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #393 on: October 1, 2020, 03:00:48 am »
Think i like this guy. Clean cut articulate humble trier with mad skillz.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #394 on: October 1, 2020, 03:42:05 am »
It didn't hit his arm. The angle is deceiving. It just hit his chest near to his arm but not his arm.
The idea that there was a handball is just Arsenal propaganda which Sky Sports have fuelled in their refusal to show the goal from any other angle except the one that looks like handball. When you watch it on any other broadcaster you see all the angles. LFCTV posted a good all-round clip of it on their Twitter feed.

Ignore the noise. 

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: October 1, 2020, 10:05:53 am »
He certainly has the mentality to succeed here, but then we know how carefully the club vets its targets these days.

He's  got the chance to learn off the best whilst potentially being in a position to succeed them. That's about as much the Liverpool way as you can get.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #396 on: October 1, 2020, 10:43:50 am »
Does the ball actually hit his arm/hand on that goal on Monday night? If so, should it be handball?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: October 1, 2020, 10:47:08 am »
Does the ball actually hit his arm/hand on that goal on Monday night? If so, should it be handball?

Its not definitive, kind of like Van Dijk’s incident against Wolves last year. Even if it did it might have hit the sleeve which puts it out of scope.

But I reckon they didnt chalk it off because you cant tell if it hit his arm or not.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #398 on: October 1, 2020, 10:06:51 pm »
Was so good today. I can finally see what people where talking about with the Luis comparisons. He'll score loads for us.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #399 on: October 1, 2020, 10:08:27 pm »
Busy little bastard, ain’t he?
AHA!