Author Topic: Television buying  (Read 371360 times)

Offline lfcrule6times

• Legacy Fan
Re: Television buying
« Reply #5040 on: July 17, 2020, 08:59:02 pm »
Looking for a 40" tv under £250 for the bedroom. Any ideas? Is this the best i'm gonna get?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9182716
★     ★     ★     ★     ★     ★

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5041 on: July 18, 2020, 10:56:36 am »
Yeah it's definitely not the best if you're viewing from a side-on angle. I mean it's not completely unwatchable or anything but it is a signigicant downgrade.

I have the 55-inch one in my bedroom though so it's not really such an issue for me because the viewing angle is pretty much perfect, but if you were to put it in a large living room with seating all around, I can see it being a problem. And not one you'd appreciate at that price range.

Edit: The QLED screen is just quality though. I was visiting my parents when they locked down my city again here in India so I'm stuck here for a while. They have a pretty good LG 4k TV but I can't help but miss my QLED screen waiting back home :D

Love the design and the possibility of a custom frame, but think I'll swerve it due to the viewing angles. Thanks though! ;)
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5042 on: July 21, 2020, 09:57:23 am »
Looking for a 40" tv under £250 for the bedroom. Any ideas? Is this the best i'm gonna get?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9182716

Costco have got a couple under that price.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5043 on: July 21, 2020, 06:10:14 pm »

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5044 on: July 28, 2020, 10:52:01 am »
Think I'll go for the LG OLED55GX for the living room. Hopefully find some decent deals towards the end of the year. Been a long-time fan of Samsung's and their UHD/QLED, but I think OLED is the way forward. "55 really is big enough, and save quite a bit compared to "65!

Offline Ryde-On

• Kicks off down Mathew Street if he hasn't managed to pull a clap-ridden whore on a Saturday
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aye.
« Reply #5045 on: August 10, 2020, 02:19:54 am »
Think I'll go for the LG OLED55GX for the living room. Hopefully find some decent deals towards the end of the year. Been a long-time fan of Samsung's and their UHD/QLED, but I think OLED is the way forward. "55 really is big enough, and save quite a bit compared to "65!

You absolutely will not regret it.  I have a 65 on the wall and love it.  Every so often I feel as if I have my own private screening room.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #5046 on: August 10, 2020, 02:34:33 am »
Possibly silly question - is the height of TVs pretty consistent across different widths?

I ask because I'm thinking of getting an LG CX, but looking at the height of the TVs in the store, it seems to be a bit shorter than the height of my Hisense "55.

It might be a moot point because my family is a bit reluctant to go to the "65 anyway, but I wanted to just make sure that I'm not downsizing my TV unintentionally.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #5047 on: August 10, 2020, 09:19:12 am »
They’re all slightly different heights and widths wise, but when I say slightly I’m talking within a cm or 2 usually.
So for example all 55inch screens (measured from top corner to bottom corner diagonally as I’m sure you know) seem to be around 71-72cm high without stand and 122-123cm wide
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5048 on: August 10, 2020, 09:41:14 am »
Also bear in mind, viewing a TV in a shop alters your perceptions on dimensions. A TV that doesn't look that big in a shop looks considerably bigger in a living room

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5049 on: August 10, 2020, 11:03:55 am »
Possibly silly question - is the height of TVs pretty consistent across different widths?

I ask because I'm thinking of getting an LG CX, but looking at the height of the TVs in the store, it seems to be a bit shorter than the height of my Hisense "55.

It might be a moot point because my family is a bit reluctant to go to the "65 anyway, but I wanted to just make sure that I'm not downsizing my TV unintentionally.

They are measured diagonally and have the same ratio, so screen wise no they’ll be the same. Difference would be the width of the frame, but it isn’t likely to be much difference.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5050 on: August 10, 2020, 05:25:00 pm »

The specs of the telly should tell you how big it is on the frame and then you'll know for sure.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #5051 on: August 12, 2020, 01:29:37 am »
Thanks all :)

I'm struggling a bit with whether to go the 55 or the 65. The 55 seems to be.. fine. Perhaps a bit on the small side. I'm trying to imagine what 65 would look like in the living room. I might have to bust out the tape measure and duct tape.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #5052 on: August 12, 2020, 09:20:15 am »

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5053 on: August 12, 2020, 12:13:38 pm »
https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/11/21363861/xiaomi-oled-tv-transparent-mi-lux-china-specs-price-release

Xiaomi's clear TV sounds fun!

Looks just like my lounge that  ::)

I mean not sure I've ever missed seeing the plugs and wall behind my TV before that I've had the need for a clear TV!

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5054 on: August 12, 2020, 12:19:03 pm »
Looks just like my lounge that  ::)

I mean not sure I've ever missed seeing the plugs and wall behind my TV before that I've had the need for a clear TV!
Was thinking the same. Not to mention the dust and cobwebs

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #5055 on: August 12, 2020, 05:32:19 pm »
I need something new to fall over when I'm drunk...  ;D

Online MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5056 on: August 12, 2020, 08:45:17 pm »
Thanks all :)

I'm struggling a bit with whether to go the 55 or the 65. The 55 seems to be.. fine. Perhaps a bit on the small side. I'm trying to imagine what 65 would look like in the living room. I might have to bust out the tape measure and duct tape.
If you can fit the 65 and can afford it, do it. 55 could have done my room easily but I’m delighted I went bigger. Herself wasn’t to happy about it to begin with but you get used to the size.

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5057 on: August 12, 2020, 10:58:47 pm »
If you can fit the 65 and can afford it, do it. 55 could have done my room easily but I’m delighted I went bigger. Herself wasn’t to happy about it to begin with but you get used to the size.

I was set on 55" as that's what I have now, but you're all making me unsure. Here there is typically a 1k difference between 55" and 65". So I'm really not sure it's worth it.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #5058 on: August 15, 2020, 03:55:29 pm »

I was set on 55" as that's what I have now, but you're all making me unsure. Here there is typically a 1k difference between 55" and 65". So I'm really not sure it's worth it.

It would also depend on the viewing distance too. Generally the small the distance between the TV and where you normally watch it from, the smaller the size you should get. Around 5 feet is what'll get the most out of it for a 55-inch TV and about 7-8 feet for a 65-inch one

"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5059 on: August 15, 2020, 03:58:31 pm »
It would also depend on the viewing distance too. Generally the small the distance between the TV and where you normally watch it from, the smaller the size you should get. Around 5 feet is what'll get the most out of it for a 55-inch TV and about 7-8 feet for a 65-inch one

True.

EDIT: I think I've made my mind up for rhe 65" CX now. Was dead set on the GX, but as I want to redo the walls of me place at some point, I'm going with the CX. Way cheaper and feet included. Othwrwise more or less same specs (minus HDR10+)

« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 08:32:46 pm by Crimson »

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5060 on: August 15, 2020, 08:34:59 pm »
The only downside with OLED seems to be nits and burn-in (and refelctions I suppose...). Anyone with newer OLED models noticing this under normal load?

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5061 on: August 16, 2020, 01:06:49 am »
The only downside with OLED seems to be nits and burn-in (and refelctions I suppose...). Anyone with newer OLED models noticing this under normal load?
I’ve got a Panasonic OLED which is just over 18 months old, no problems so far. I very rarely have it on news channels or SSN though which can cause issues with the side bars etc.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5062 on: August 16, 2020, 09:16:33 am »
One thing to watch, although not 100% certain if it still does it, is the pause sign that comes up on Sky. I’ve got a very slight burn in of that on my TV, thankfully only visible when that area of the screen is totally white and even then only just.

Online MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5063 on: August 18, 2020, 11:46:26 pm »
Ive a c8 and have had no problems so far. I do keep an eye on it for YouTube podcasts which have the most static images out of the stuff I watch. If you watch a lot of news it would also be something to keep an eye on. I know they improved it from c7 to c8 so I can only imagine it’s been further improved in the last two years.

Burn in definitely wouldn’t put me off.

Online MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5064 on: August 18, 2020, 11:55:28 pm »
The nits thing I don’t get as I came from panny plasmas and a Sony midrange lcd. Neither are as close to the brightness of the c8. At times when watching hdr/Dolby vision it’s almost too bright.

It’s definitely the best tv I’ve ever had but if I was to pick out one weakness it would be slow panning shots and that’s just knit picking . As far as I know the cx has improved in this area.

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5065 on: August 19, 2020, 06:36:15 am »
The nits thing I don’t get as I came from panny plasmas and a Sony midrange lcd. Neither are as close to the brightness of the c8. At times when watching hdr/Dolby vision it’s almost too bright.

It’s definitely the best tv I’ve ever had but if I was to pick out one weakness it would be slow panning shots and that’s just knit picking . As far as I know the cx has improved in this area.

Yeah, it's my first OLED so it's easy to see the potential flaws out of proportion. Besides, I saw some tests and you'd basically have to watch the same static image for 16 hours straight to nitice any burn in.

Regarding nits, I was just reading about my current Samsung 4k and how it had higher brightness. However, this is from 2016, so I think the brightness probably was thought to compensate for colour accuracy.

Regardless, I've ordered the thing and expect to be installing it early next week  :D

Offline Songs to Sing

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Hold your head up high He made the people happy
-Rafael Benitez 03/06/2010: "Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone." No, thank you, you wondeful, humble, gracious man. You fought for us for years and won't be forgotten.-
The 5th Benitle

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5067 on: August 31, 2020, 08:31:17 am »
Thinking of getting one of

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-oled48cx6lb-48-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-oled-tv-with-google-assistant-amazon-alexa-10205969-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/sony-bravia-kd48a9bu-48-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-oled-tv-with-google-assistant-10211739-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/samsung-qe43q60tauxxu-43-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-qled-tv-with-bixby-alexa-google-assistant-10206249-pdt.html

Not sure the more expensive ones are worth the money. Whatever we get itll be an upgrade on the old Pana LCD currently.
Is there are reason you’re comparing a 43’ to two 48’ TVs?

What will you be connecting to the TV? Soundbar/Amp, BluRay player, games console, Sky/BT etc? The LG has the most future proofed HDMI connections with all of them at 2.1, but depending on what you’re hooking up and how up to date those items are this may or may not be important.

The LG and the Sony are capable of handling Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision but not HDR10+, the Samsung is the opposite.

It’s what are the most important features/capabilities to you really? Out of the more expensive two I’d probably side with the LG as it has the better HDMI connections despite being a few hundred cheaper. Again though depends what you’re hooking up. You might need to upgrade your current HDMI leads depending what spec they are.

Offline Songs to Sing

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5068 on: August 31, 2020, 10:20:24 am »
Is there are reason you’re comparing a 43’ to two 48’ TVs?

What will you be connecting to the TV? Soundbar/Amp, BluRay player, games console, Sky/BT etc? The LG has the most future proofed HDMI connections with all of them at 2.1, but depending on what you’re hooking up and how up to date those items are this may or may not be important.

The LG and the Sony are capable of handling Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision but not HDR10+, the Samsung is the opposite.

It’s what are the most important features/capabilities to you really? Out of the more expensive two I’d probably side with the LG as it has the better HDMI connections despite being a few hundred cheaper. Again though depends what you’re hooking up. You might need to upgrade your current HDMI leads depending what spec they are.

Thanks for the info.

Comparing the 43 and 48 because currently we have a 32. Whilst that is small for the living room, we’re a bit hesitant of going for something too big since can’t really tell how it’ll look till it gets in there. 43 is safer but we saw the oleds in the store and thought they looked fantastic, and the smallest they are on is 48 atm.

In terms of connections won’t be any, just the streaming services through the TV. At the moment not thinking of getting a sound bar, but if the tv sound feels off then would go for it, though the Sony has a cool sound system it seems.

Just did a quick search on Dolby/hdr. Is one better than the other? Seems Netflix uses the former.

Will mainly be using it for movies, sports, streaming... Siding with the cheaper Samsung one atm since not sure our usage warrants one of the more expensive ones, but the picture on the OLEDs is amazing so may go to an outlet that has both screens so we can compare before deciding. If we do go for the more expensive ones it’ll prob be the LG, the sales guy said as you have it’s more future proof, though it’s lack of uk catch up apps is a letdown.
-Rafael Benitez 03/06/2010: "Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone." No, thank you, you wondeful, humble, gracious man. You fought for us for years and won't be forgotten.-
The 5th Benitle

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5069 on: August 31, 2020, 11:29:32 am »
I'm guessing the "48 is the CX? Bear in mind the content on display and the room you're in. There is the chance of burn in if your content has alot of static imagery like news, Youtube etc. and/or if you're not mindful of viewing varied content. Also, OLED is quite reflective and not as bright in a well-lit room. I just got the CX myself mind you and is very happy thus far  ;D

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5070 on: August 31, 2020, 12:02:02 pm »
Thanks for the info.

Comparing the 43 and 48 because currently we have a 32. Whilst that is small for the living room, we’re a bit hesitant of going for something too big since can’t really tell how it’ll look till it gets in there. 43 is safer but we saw the oleds in the store and thought they looked fantastic, and the smallest they are on is 48 atm.

In terms of connections won’t be any, just the streaming services through the TV. At the moment not thinking of getting a sound bar, but if the tv sound feels off then would go for it, though the Sony has a cool sound system it seems.

Just did a quick search on Dolby/hdr. Is one better than the other? Seems Netflix uses the former.

Will mainly be using it for movies, sports, streaming... Siding with the cheaper Samsung one atm since not sure our usage warrants one of the more expensive ones, but the picture on the OLEDs is amazing so may go to an outlet that has both screens so we can compare before deciding. If we do go for the more expensive ones it’ll prob be the LG, the sales guy said as you have it’s more future proof, though it’s lack of uk catch up apps is a letdown.

I think Netflix supports both formats. It’s not really a major thing just some shows/films will look better than others if they’re produced in the format your tv supports.

As Crimson mentions if you watch a lot of news or Sky Sports News/Racing for hours on end OLED could be an issue due to image burn in, wouldn’t be an issue for the Samsung.

Probably comes down to whether the more expensive bigger tv’s are significantly better image wise and whether they’re necessary for your needs (now and in the future).

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5071 on: August 31, 2020, 04:33:37 pm »
Aldi have their 4k 55" for  £278 with a 3yr guarantee,got the 40 last year for the kids room and it's spot on for the money.

Aldi are great when things pack up as well,straight swaps or money back no messing.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Songs to Sing

• Legacy Fan
The 5th Benitle

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5073 on: September 3, 2020, 09:19:19 pm »
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Songs to Sing

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5075 on: September 3, 2020, 10:10:20 pm »
Whatever you decide on have a look to see if you can get it from Richersounds,sign up for the vip (free) and you get a 6yr guarantee that includes them picking the tv up and lending you a replacement whilst it is being fixed.

Thanks mate
The 5th Benitle

Offline Songs to Sing

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5076 on: September 3, 2020, 10:13:14 pm »
What sort of things are you connecting to the tv and what will it be used for (as in main tv? High usage?)

Not really connecting anything. Will be used for streaming sports and movies mainly, and other online functions of its smart tv capability. Yes main tv but wouldn’t say high usage on average, probably about medium usage daily.
The 5th Benitle

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5077 on: September 3, 2020, 11:45:39 pm »
Not really connecting anything. Will be used for streaming sports and movies mainly, and other online functions of its smart tv capability. Yes main tv but wouldn’t say high usage on average, probably about medium usage daily.
I guess it comes down to which do you feel gives you the most of what you need/want. They may not all have the same apps etc. so check out they’ve got the ones you want.
A couple of other things, the Panasonic and the Sony seem to have Dolby Atmos where as the Samsung doesn’t, this may mean you get a better sound experience from them where that format is available on something you’re watching. I couldn’t see any reason for the Panasonic to be significantly more expensive. The Samsung actually has a lesser processor than its predecessor the Q60R so that may mean the picture isn’t as good as the previous model.

As WAP mentioned above if Richer Sounds have the one you choose it’s worth buying from them as their customer service is usually top notch and they’ll usually price match as well.

Offline Songs to Sing

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5078 on: September 4, 2020, 06:33:09 am »
I guess it comes down to which do you feel gives you the most of what you need/want. They may not all have the same apps etc. so check out they’ve got the ones you want.
A couple of other things, the Panasonic and the Sony seem to have Dolby Atmos where as the Samsung doesn’t, this may mean you get a better sound experience from them where that format is available on something you’re watching. I couldn’t see any reason for the Panasonic to be significantly more expensive. The Samsung actually has a lesser processor than its predecessor the Q60R so that may mean the picture isn’t as good as the previous model.

As WAP mentioned above if Richer Sounds have the one you choose it’s worth buying from them as their customer service is usually top notch and they’ll usually price match as well.

Thanks mate
The 5th Benitle

Online MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5079 on: September 10, 2020, 10:19:57 pm »
Another shout for richersounds here. I wouldn’t normally buy stuff from the uk where possible as I prefer to support Irish businesses but not only are they great to deal with and have a brilliant warranty but they treat there staff better than pretty much any company to my knowledge.
Thanks mate
Best thing to do is google reviews on each one and what compares to them. You will after a bit come to a solid conclusion on what one you want.