Author Topic: The 'Football was invented in 1992' Sly Sports Premier League draft - discussion  (Read 17110 times)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Makes sense. So just for example then how about Haaland vs Carragher, despite his longevity Carragher was not in that same tier, so does Haaland’s ability win out?

The formula is Ability divided by Longevity multiplied by How Annoying a Pundit Someone Is and then rounded up by Haircut.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
The formula is Ability divided by Longevity multiplied by How Annoying a Pundit Someone Is and then rounded up by Haircut.

Hahaha. Haaland’s fucked then with his shocking Barnet.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Makes sense. So just for example then how about Haaland vs Carragher, despite his longevity Carragher was not in that same tier, so does Haaland’s ability win out?

I was just thinking that. It's an interesting question. I'm not the boss of all drafting haha, but I would say it's 70% Haaland. Carra was good and very solid for a long time (and a tad underrated IMO), but never top tier. Could he stop Haaland? On his day, yes. He faced other top tier strikers I won't name and kept them quiet. But he also had absolute mares. Could Haaland tear him a new one? Yes, very much so. So I'd favour Haaland. Though it would depend on many other factors in said game. If Carra had a classier partner like say Hummels (trying not to name available players) to cover his flaws then it might swing back the other way. Nevertheless, Haaland is a fine pick who I'm sure many others would have jumped on had they got the chance.

By the square root of did they play for the red mancs subtracted by did they fall out with Ferguson.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Reminder that we are still doing two hour deadlines. It's moving along nicely right now, but if it slows up at any point we'll switch to one hour.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Sorry not sorry, he was some player, despite the rest..

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Ah, another team no-one has to worry about in the vote.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Some filthy people in this draft.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Some filthy people in this draft.

To be honest I can't stand the City players more than Utd ones, at least Utd didn't cheat their way to the top.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
Probably not the smartest choice blocking England so early, but Fowler and Suarez together would have been just incredible, so fuck it.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Yeah I'm keeping England open for the time being, but might pull the trigger on my next go.  Some really good picks disappearing quickly.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
I think Jaap Stam is the only acceptable Manc pick because a) he pissed off Ferguson so he must be ok and b) he called the Nevilles ‘busy c*nts’.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 04:25:12 pm by Crosby Nick 128 »

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
To be honest I can't stand the City players more than Utd ones, at least Utd didn't cheat their way to the top.

I mean, Fergie time? Sure, they didn't financially cheat. Although they were the richest team in the league for some years. Great manager though he was, Ferguson was an absolutely horrible human being. He had a complete stranglehold on the league and every ref in his pocket. Remember what happened when Rafa stood up to their bullshit.

My hatred for United runs far far deeper than the blue mancs.

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I mean, Fergie time? Sure, they didn't financially cheat. Although they were the richest team in the league for some years. Great manager though he was, Ferguson was an absolutely horrible human being. He had a complete stranglehold on the league and every ref in his pocket. Remember what happened when Rafa stood up to their bullshit.

He was a twat for sure but he offered a lot of support to Kenny during our hard times, I have grudging respect for them whereas City are just a plastic club I have zero respect for them at all.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion

Well put. And they ruined my teenage years too.

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Well put. And they ruined my teenage years too.

Haha I got ten bells of shit kicked out me by Utd fans every PE lessons during primary school.. Not a city shirt in sight!

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
I think Jaap Stan is the only acceptable Manc pick because a) he pissed off Ferguson so he must be ok and b) he called the Nevilles ‘busy c*nts’.

There are a few more acceptable ones who might get picked later. But all the rest are c*nts.

City players are just mercenaries. Tools for Abu Dhabi's long term goals. They don't really give a fuck about any of it. Which as witnessed by Henderson's about turn, one of our own former heroes, none of them really do. That's the reality of modern football. We like to believe that ours are different, but they're not. They'd all dance to whatever tune as long as they're bringing in the big bucks.

He was a twat for sure but he offered a lot of support to Kenny during our hard times, I have grudging respect for them whereas City are just a plastic club I have zero respect for them at all.

United players under Ferguson are different. I don't deny the grudging respect, but he cultivated so much hate in football. His players embodied everything he was and brought to the game. Cantona kicking a fan, Keane abusing referees and deliberately ending a player's career, that twat Evra. All this stemmed from his personality and his win at all costs attitude. He may have done some good in the past, but that doesn't change what his actions did to the game and the players it produced.

(Definitely won't be winning the RAWK United vote after this  :D )

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Fucking about time Torres got picked.

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Fair points Betty but look at Gerrard, a sportswashing PR puppet. There are no good footballers left it seems!

Cantona at Leeds of course ;)

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Fair points Betty but look at Gerrard, a sportswashing PR puppet. There are no good footballers left it seems!

Cantona at Leeds of course ;)

Agreed. That's exactly what I'm saying. They're all c*nts. Why am I even drafting them? I might be having an existential crisis here  :D

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
Torres made more appearances for Chelsea than Liverpool, so I think it’s only fair we judge on the majority of his career
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
Haaland gone already? Who is picking Amr Zaki then?
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The tail end picks will be interesting, loads of top ones gone, loads of english left, but you can only have the one.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
I forgot how much being in the middle of the order sucks

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
I forgot how much being in the middle of the order sucks

The whole “I’ll be sensible and pick someone for my spine…oh fuck it I’ll get a mercurial winger instead and fix my centre midfield in about 16 picks time”.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
The whole “I’ll be sensible and pick someone for my spine…oh fuck it I’ll get a mercurial winger instead and fix my centre midfield in about 16 picks time”.

Perfectly summarised  ;D

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

A one man spine, niche country also.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Fordy isn't in the draft mate.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
Probably not the smartest choice blocking England so early, but Fowler and Suarez together would have been just incredible, so fuck it.

Full of dross though Las, mate. All the good ones gone. More value waiting on other country's than the Enguurland brigade. What the fuck have they won over the years. Africa is where it's at my brother
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Waiting is the worst part. Have agonizingly gone back and forth on about seven different players for my next pick. Should have a full XI by the time it's actually my turn.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Full of dross though Las, mate. All the good ones gone. More value waiting on other country's than the Enguurland brigade. What the fuck have they won over the years. Africa is where it's at my brother

Peter Ndlovu for your next pick I take it old man?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Waiting is the worst part. Have agonizingly gone back and forth on about seven different players for my next pick. Should have a full XI by the time it's actually my turn.

Mate, take over the Weah baton for me.  8)

Online red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Shall i put mine up or wait a bit longer for Nick?

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Shall i put mine up or wait a bit longer for Nick?

You go, I’ll catch up. Apologies, caught up with work dramas!

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne

...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Dam was hoping Robbo lasted.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Me and Red1977 have both posted. I would offer to PM the next picker but it’s Betty. Of course he’s aware of this already.

Online red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Me and Red1977 have both posted. I would offer to PM the next picker but it’s Betty. Of course he’s aware of this already.

I PM'd him.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6nphXR6Zyrk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6nphXR6Zyrk</a>
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
You called it brother. We seem to have a sudden surge in African picks. ;D

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Sorry for the delay. Had bugger all reception at a dinner thing and couldn't properly escape until now. Managed to check in once only to see all my picks had gone again. Brutal round this has been for me! So had to wait 'til I was home to have a re-think.

Anyway, done and happy with my new ultimate plan which will no doubt collapse again in the following 14 picks.