Author Topic: Watches  (Read 253072 times)

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
Re: Watches
« Reply #1280 on: August 16, 2017, 04:46:38 pm »
Right, boys and girls of RAWK, some advice/suggestions please.

Started looking a while ago for watches, but didn't close the deal.  So I'm back again.

I'm looking for a mechanical watch.
My requirements are:
- Everyday watch (well, a fancy everyday one). 
- New  (as much as a 1958 Seamaster might be interesting, I'm not buying as an investment)
- Chronograph, if possible (not a dealbreaker)
- Metal strap preferable but not a dealbreaker. (Not really interested in changing out a leather strap every 12-18 months, but if the replacements are not expensive I can live with it)
- Price range £1000- 1500.  (But I'm in the Eurozone so the sterling/euro rate is in my favour)
- Medium size (I've a small wrist.)
- Classic rather than modern or fashion   

Throw me out some suggestions, folks.  Been thinking of Longines or Junghans or something like that.

Finally closed the deal. I'm as slow as Michael Edwards in a transfer window.

Ticked all the above boxes for me. (I ruled out chronographs a while ago.)
Love the roman numerals, and its really thin and lightweight and fits perfectly on my wrist.

I could have pushed the boat out and gone for a similar-ish Mont Blanc one, but I was kinda talking myself into it in the shop rather than going 'yep, that's the one'. Plus it was 50% dearer.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 07:30:18 pm by Ray K »
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1281 on: September 1, 2017, 01:36:06 pm »
I like that watch Ray K, worth waiting for. A Naby Keita of purchases.

This is more my price bracket!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sekonda-Gents-Brown-Strap-3882/dp/B002JOIO4O
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Antoine Lavoisier

• Anny Roader
  • the torchlight red on sweaty faces
« Reply #1282 on: September 5, 2017, 11:39:18 am »
I haven't worn a watch since my early twenties and I was never really a watch type for some reason. But a while back I came across this in an add that popped up and it really caught my eye.

Not being in anyway knowledgeable about watches and definitely not a lover of these flash harry gordy looking things (sorry wearers of flash harry gordy looking things) I wondered if anyone had any opinions/observation/knowledge of it?

And in short, I was afraid

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #1283 on: September 5, 2017, 01:50:30 pm »
I haven't worn a watch since my early twenties and I was never really a watch type for some reason. But a while back I came across this in an add that popped up and it really caught my eye.

Not being in anyway knowledgeable about watches and definitely not a lover of these flash harry gordy looking things (sorry wearers of flash harry gordy looking things) I wondered if anyone had any opinions/observation/knowledge of it?

Like the look of the watch but not that keen on the strap. I have a Christopher Ward black PVD watch and have it on a tan leather strap.
Something similar would look better on this one in my opinion.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1284 on: September 5, 2017, 02:44:41 pm »
Like the look of the watch but not that keen on the strap. I have a Christopher Ward black PVD watch and have it on a tan leather strap.
Something similar would look better on this one in my opinion.

Thanks Frank.

I thought the strap might be a sticking point with people. But strangely, it was the strap that caught my eye.

I've never heard of Ingersoll either, although a brief Google indicates they were established in 1892. I fine year whichever way one looks at it.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #1285 on: September 5, 2017, 02:52:47 pm »
Thanks Frank.

I thought the strap might be a sticking point with people. But strangely, it was the strap that caught my eye.

I've never heard of Ingersoll either, although a brief Google indicates they were established in 1892. I fine year whichever way one looks at it.

I have definitely heard of them. I like the black face and bezel, they contrast nicely with the hour markers.
Just for me I am not keen on that with a green strap, black may be too much black, but I think a nice tan leather colour would look really good, especially with that touch of red in there.
« Last Edit: September 5, 2017, 02:54:35 pm by Frank Becton »

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1286 on: September 5, 2017, 03:06:57 pm »
My understanding on Ingersoll is that it was a heritage brand that went bust and is now run by a Chinese company. Same as Rotary.

As a result, so long as you expect Chinese quality, you shouldn't be disappointed. Personally, I'd only really look at Seagull if I was after a Chinese watch of any value.

The strap is known as a canvas strap and you should be able to pick one up for a few quid on eBay. Changing a strap is usually a doddle so shouldn't really drive your watch choice.

The style of watch is similar to some Timex watches (Waterbury springs to mind). Not sure what you're looking to pay but might be worth a look.

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1287 on: September 5, 2017, 05:23:11 pm »
My understanding on Ingersoll is that it was a heritage brand that went bust and is now run by a Chinese company. Same as Rotary.

As a result, so long as you expect Chinese quality, you shouldn't be disappointed. Personally, I'd only really look at Seagull if I was after a Chinese watch of any value.

The strap is known as a canvas strap and you should be able to pick one up for a few quid on eBay. Changing a strap is usually a doddle so shouldn't really drive your watch choice.

The style of watch is similar to some Timex watches (Waterbury springs to mind). Not sure what you're looking to pay but might be worth a look.

Very helpful information Adam, thank you very much. Had no idea they were Chinese made. I suppose it's the old thing of you get what you pay for - and given your advice I suppose even at a mere £345 it's a little on the steep side?

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1288 on: September 6, 2017, 09:40:28 pm »
Change of plan from the Ingersoll, going with this:

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #1289 on: September 7, 2017, 08:31:26 am »

I have a Hamilton Pilot watch - they are very good quality.

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1290 on: September 7, 2017, 09:08:42 am »

Very nice. May be my next watch, let us know what you think once you have it!
What do Fernando Hierro, Carles Puyol, Philipp Lahm, Andres Iniesta, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos and Jordan Henderson share in common?

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1291 on: September 7, 2017, 10:23:20 am »

Much nicer.
I presume all 'quality' watches are wound rather than battery powered? What kind of price bracket sees the start of wound watches?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
« Reply #1292 on: September 7, 2017, 10:43:40 am »
Much nicer.
I presume all 'quality' watches are wound rather than battery powered? What kind of price bracket sees the start of wound watches?

Well you can find mechanical watches for all kind of prices. I have one bielorussian Luch, which goes for £60. You can't rely too much on it, it's not waterproof, but it's fun.

It's just that mechanical, specifically automatic watches are much more difficult to make. This difficulty has a price, which basically has no limit if you consider watches with several complications. Note that they are 99.9% of the time less precise than the quartz watch that you can by for £10 around the corner, and that's true for basically every kind of price you want to put in a mechanical watch. They are usually considered being two totally different kinds of objects.
What do Fernando Hierro, Carles Puyol, Philipp Lahm, Andres Iniesta, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos and Jordan Henderson share in common?

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1293 on: September 7, 2017, 12:57:53 pm »
They are usually considered being two totally different kinds of objects.
I guess one is a piece of art, the other tells the time :)

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #1294 on: September 7, 2017, 01:25:03 pm »
Much nicer.

You can buy a really high quality watch like a 1970s Tissot Seastar Automatic, for around £50 on eBay.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
« Reply #1295 on: September 7, 2017, 01:26:20 pm »
I guess one is a piece of art, the other tells the time :)

I'd say craft more than art. It's all about crafting.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1296 on: September 7, 2017, 01:30:46 pm »

Hamilton Khaki Field? Much better choice, mate. Brand of good heritage, well produced and considered a good brand to dip your toe into the world of mechanical watches. Be careful - you'll end up addicted!

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1297 on: September 7, 2017, 01:32:12 pm »
Well you can find mechanical watches for all kind of prices. I have one bielorussian Luch, which goes for £60. You can't rely too much on it, it's not waterproof, but it's fun.

It's just that mechanical, specifically automatic watches are much more difficult to make. This difficulty has a price, which basically has no limit if you consider watches with several complications. Note that they are 99.9% of the time less precise than the quartz watch that you can by for £10 around the corner, and that's true for basically every kind of price you want to put in a mechanical watch. They are usually considered being two totally different kinds of objects.

Single hander. Nice. I've always thought about getting one but never got round to it. Meistersinger do some lovely one.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2017, 01:50:23 pm by .adam »

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #1298 on: September 7, 2017, 02:21:43 pm »

https://imgur.com/a/gwqbY

Got one of these 20 years after leaving the military. Dont know if people still wear them.

Having a regimental wrist strap showed how double hard you were if you were in an elite regiment
« Last Edit: September 7, 2017, 02:24:15 pm by McJacker »

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1299 on: September 7, 2017, 02:52:52 pm »

Single hander. Nice. I've always thought about getting one but never got round to it. Meistersinger do some lovely one.

you're not wrong!

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1300 on: September 7, 2017, 07:30:40 pm »
Hamilton Khaki Field? Much better choice, mate. Brand of good heritage, well produced and considered a good brand to dip your toe into the world of mechanical watches. Be careful - you'll end up addicted!

I think you may very well be right there!

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1301 on: September 22, 2017, 09:38:27 pm »
With Mayweather the best boxer the world has seen for ages showing off his Hublot collection, it made me wondered.

Would you rather a Rolex or a Hublot or something else?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1302 on: September 22, 2017, 11:23:17 pm »

I think Hublot are somewhat nouveau riche crass and say a lot about those who wear them.

They seem to be either tasteless, or sponsored to promote them by being seen to wear them prominently.

I think I'd prefer to wear a simple Timex to one of those gauche monstrosities.

Maybe I'm old school,  but I think watches should be discrete and elegant and just ooze style and quality but only when noticed and most definitely not be an in your face "I can't help but notice that my watch cost considerably more than your's.." juvenile and shallow type fashion accessory.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1303 on: September 23, 2017, 12:06:16 am »
Agree with the above. Hublot Big Bang is the only decent one. They have just brought out a nice stylish cheaper version with a blue face, however not in the same league as Rolex breitling omega and iwc. But that is just my opinion. If you like it, that’s all that counts.

However, I’d be buying one of Rolex Breitling Omega or IWC before I looked at a hublot 

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1304 on: September 23, 2017, 10:22:16 am »
I wouldn’t want one either. Obviously Rolex and Breitling are capable of making ugly, garish watches covered in diamonds too, but their stock in trade is classic, timeless pieces and they do a great job of it.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1305 on: September 23, 2017, 11:17:24 am »
As Gulley says, I've got a Timex that is nicer than any of those Hublot watches.

I was going to get myself a Submariner, but I found it too large when I tried one on. Not in any rush now to get another watch, happy with my Tag, I'll probably look again in about 4 years once I've paid all my new loans off.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1306 on: September 23, 2017, 12:01:53 pm »
I think Hublot are somewhat nouveau riche crass and say a lot about those who wear them.

They seem to be either tasteless, or sponsored to promote them by being seen to wear them prominently.

I have no idea what you're talking about

"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1307 on: September 23, 2017, 12:20:31 pm »
I have no idea what you're talking about

I rest my case...
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1308 on: September 23, 2017, 04:50:32 pm »
As Gulley says, I've got a Timex that is nicer than any of those Hublot watches.

I was going to get myself a Submariner, but I found it too large when I tried one on. Not in any rush now to get another watch, happy with my Tag, I'll probably look again in about 4 years once I've paid all my new loans off.

60s-90s Subs are a little smaller. You should try one. I have quite slender wrists and my 1991 Sub sits well.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1309 on: September 23, 2017, 04:52:30 pm »
60s-90s Subs are a little smaller. You should try one. I have quite slender wrists and my 1991 Sub sits well.

Cheers for that, it was a 2012 ish one I tried on.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1310 on: September 23, 2017, 05:16:00 pm »
Is 400 euro ok price for a vintage, well kept Omega Seamaster DeVille?

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1311 on: September 23, 2017, 07:41:22 pm »
Deville is a range rather than a model, so the answer is that it depends.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1312 on: September 25, 2017, 08:52:08 pm »
Shows you how much I know ;D
I like few of their models from 60's - very clean look, restrained and timeless.

In general do you think I could land a nice Seamaster from that period for 4-6 hundred euros?

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1313 on: September 25, 2017, 10:39:10 pm »
Yeah, that’s the ballpark. I’ve owned a few of these, so if you want to run a potential purchase by me, I’d be more than happy to give you an opinion. PM me.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1314 on: September 26, 2017, 05:39:29 pm »
Thanks, will do that.

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1315 on: September 26, 2017, 06:28:06 pm »
Very nice. May be my next watch, let us know what you think once you have it!

As I've said previously, I'm the furthest you could get from an expert on watches but this Hamilton is truly fantastic. It's not big and garish, it feels nice, looks good and most of all, no one, not a single person in the 2 to 3 weeks I've had it have stopped me to say "Ooo what's that watch you're wearing, is it expensive?".

My kind of watch. 

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
« Reply #1316 on: September 26, 2017, 06:51:22 pm »
As I've said previously, I'm the furthest you could get from an expert on watches but this Hamilton is truly fantastic. It's not big and garish, it feels nice, looks good and most of all, no one, not a single person in the 2 to 3 weeks I've had it have stopped me to say "Ooo what's that watch you're wearing, is it expensive?".

My kind of watch.

I never doubted it! Glad you like it, you're in for a long time :) .

As for me, I've thought this over and realised that it's too close aesthetically to my current Seiko watch. I need a city watch to wear with a suit, and I'll probably fall for a Nomos Club Datum or Club 38 Campus. I've to try it to be sure that it fits, because it's quite more expensive.

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1317 on: September 30, 2017, 10:45:18 am »
I never doubted it! Glad you like it, you're in for a long time :) .

As for me, I've thought this over and realised that it's too close aesthetically to my current Seiko watch. I need a city watch to wear with a suit, and I'll probably fall for a Nomos Club Datum or Club 38 Campus. I've to try it to be sure that it fits, because it's quite more expensive.

Now that's very nice, really clean looking.

Damn it, I think I've caught this strange watch bug!!  :no

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1318 on: September 30, 2017, 04:36:21 pm »
I've got a limited edition version of the Nomos Club. Lovely watch.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=195782.msg15145876#msg15145876

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1319 on: October 1, 2017, 04:03:00 am »
I've never heard of Nomos before. Damn them Club especially are beautiful.