Author Topic: Rox's Dog Advice Thread  (Read 397715 times)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Re: Rox's Dog Advice Thread
« Reply #4160 on: January 10, 2019, 05:09:52 pm »
Sorry just come back to this thread after some looong looong days, turns out the puppy had some neurological issue and started having seizures, so we took her back to the breeder.

We got a new puppy last saturday and she is 8 weeks old, shes doing great for now and turns out she does nipping and biting as well (play biting they call it, non aggressive) so i'll be using the above tips to try get her out of that hurting nip very soon!

Thanks.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4161 on: January 11, 2019, 10:46:51 am »

I'm the opposite; they make me very wary.

When we were thinking about getting a dog, we considered a rescue dog and visited a couple of rescue centres; about 90% of dogs were Staffs/Bulldogs or something crossed with those.

I know the terrible reputation is ill deserved in many cases, but whenever you see some scummy dickhead with a dog, trying to look tough, it'll be a Staff/Bulldog.

All to common a view unfortunately. Always makes me sad when you read these stories of a death and it's more often than not described as a 'bull breed' by the press, it certainly doesn't help the perception of the breeds.

Sorry just come back to this thread after some looong looong days, turns out the puppy had some neurological issue and started having seizures, so we took her back to the breeder.

We got a new puppy last saturday and she is 8 weeks old, shes doing great for now and turns out she does nipping and biting as well (play biting they call it, non aggressive) so i'll be using the above tips to try get her out of that hurting nip very soon!

Thanks.

Shit poor puppy, do you know what the breeder plans to do with it? Is the new pup the same breed?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #4162 on: January 15, 2019, 03:42:33 pm »
Shit poor puppy, do you know what the breeder plans to do with it? Is the new pup the same breed?

The breeder said he can't sell her, but plans to probably give it away to his sister or just someone who can give it a good home. We put her on anti seizure medication which stopped the seizures but doesn't really deal with the underlying problem, whatever it was.

The new puppy is the same breed but different breeder.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4163 on: January 31, 2019, 09:22:15 am »
2 frosty collies after their walk this morning

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4164 on: February 8, 2019, 09:13:38 am »
Just came in here to say I fucking love dogs.

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4165 on: May 24, 2019, 04:35:23 pm »
Our Stitch died yesterday,been with us from 6 weeks old to a few weeks shy of his 16th birthday... 
Gutted.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4166 on: May 24, 2019, 04:38:38 pm »
Our Stitch died yesterday,been with us from 6 weeks old to a few weeks shy of his 16th birthday... 
Gutted.

ah sorry to hear, had a good long life though which is always good.

Offline PJLFC1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4167 on: May 26, 2019, 10:48:17 am »
Just wanted to make all dog owners aware of the lungworm threat that’s on the rise across the country . I lost my 6 month old British Bulldog Hugo and myself and partner are devastated and my girls aged 3 and 5 are inconsolable .

He had all his vaccines and recently had his kennel cough on the 9th May and had been wormed at 16 weeks when I purchased him from Cardiff . So he was due to be wormed again next week as I was informed every 3 months however upon reading it’s better every month and if we had known this could of possibly saved his life so am feeling really guilty as well as this unbearable pain , some may say it’s just a dog but as owners of animals know it’s so much more and I struggle at the best of times with losing anyone who I even know briefly as I can’t switch off unfortunately and my anxiety keeps me awake constantly.

Regarding the symptoms if you spot any of the following don’t hesitate to seek help . Hugo developed a limp in his front right paw after a walk on Friday afternoon so we checked his paw for glass etc and nothing . We monitored him and he was still eating and drinking and his normal self so we decided he should rest it and didn’t walk him Tuesday . Subsequently he was back to himself and no limp so we thought he had maybe twisted it etc and the rest worked .

Wednesday evening he was due for his evening walk and he started limping on his back leg so we checked him over again and presumed possibly the same scenario as his front paw as he was still himself and eating and drinking fine .

Thursday morning he was in a bad way as he couldn’t get out of his bed and he had urinated in it which dogs never do unless they are in a bad way so we instantly took him the vets who gave him 2 injections and said if he perks up he will be ok and keep lifting his back legs to help him stand as maybe he was feeling sorry for himself as he had a temperature and was under the weather . So we followed his advice.

Friday morning he was more himself again and with help went outside to the toilet and even played with him ball with me and done his shaking of the tail in a lovely way as he used to do every-time he greeted us morning or whenever we had come home etc . The nightmare arouse when I returned from football Friday evening at half 6 and my partner said he had been fine but when I tried to help him up he started to breathe really bad with his ears pinned back and a horrendous scared look in his eyes that’s haunting me every second since . His mouth was slightly open however by the time I had called the emergency vets to take him too his mouth was fully open and he was fighting to survive all in the space of 5 to 10 minutes . I quickly got him in the car and my partner got my girls out of bed and I drove him as safely as I could to the vets were when I got him out the car still in his bed he had pooed and his nostrils were full of bubbles and clear discharge . I was a mess myself being honest as am not good with situations like this regarding loved ones . My partner and children were also clearly distressed and I wish I could of took him myself but they needed the owner my partner present . They took him in over night and said they would call in an emergency or we were to call after 11am Saturday.

Saturday morning I went to work even though I really didn’t want to we had to pay the vets charges so I asked my partner to inform me the moment she had any news . I messaged her at half 10am and she was on the phone to them at the time so I knew it wasn’t good . After the call she told me they were going to mildly sedate Hugo to perform a chest X-ray and there could potentially be complications even him passing . We had no other choice as they said his breathing had become worse and he needed whatever help he could get . They called my partner again just after 12pm and said Hugo’s heart had stopped and when they tried to revive him blood just poured out through the breathing tube as his lungs had obviously haemorrhaged due to the lungworm .

I can’t tell you how bad or guilty me and my partner feel as he has obviously eaten or licked a snail or slug and we had gone to a log cabin in April and a caravan only last week with him and fear he may have picked it up there . I have read none stop on this vile parasite and learnt a lot but all unfortunately to late for our boy however if his passing saves 1 dog or more it’s not in vain as I would want anyone to experience the hurt we are going through right now as a family . We only had him 11 weeks though feels like forever as he fitted in perfectly . I however can’t get the thought of his scared look and the pain he must of been in also out of my mind and the fact I just handed him over without saying anything sits bed with me as he must of been so scared all alone over night and fighting to breathe / for his life . I really wish we could of done more and pray he is now free from pain and safe and well . He was only just 6 months old and a puppy really and it’s unbearable to think what he has went through.

Please take time to read about the potential dangers of this disease that’s on the increase across the country . Just licking a snail or slug trail or a snail or slug that crossed a toy in the garden or in a puddle that you’re dog possibly licks can cause this .

The fact the parasite travels to the right side of the heart and then lays it’s larvae into the blood stream and they hatch in the lungs after 28 days causing haemorrhaging is heartbreaking to know that’s what Hugo has gone through and so scary how little it’s known about and the symptoms are vague and then it can kill as quick as it unfortunately has .

So sorry to let my 1st post here be such a sad one but don’t want anyone or any pet to suffer like poor Hugo did and we are now .
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know My name is the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon thee.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4168 on: May 26, 2019, 12:33:22 pm »
That's shocking mate but thanks for posting the info and advice.  Its such a simple thing to prevent too.

I can only imagine how much you're all suffering but I hope it wont put you off getting another dog.

Online Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #4169 on: May 26, 2019, 10:58:57 pm »
So me and my other half are seriously keen on getting a dog. But we're concerned that our schedules aren't gonna work with a pooch with any sort of energy about it.

She'll be a nurse as of Sept, working 3 long days a week (one of them weekend) and I'm a (trainee for now) solicitor out of the house about 8.30-6.30.

So on the average week there's gonna be two days where the hound is in the house all day. Some weeks there'll be one day as debs does both weekend days and some weeks there'll be three week days as she gets the weekend off.

I've my heart set on a big dog, alaskan malamute or a newfoundland, something big and daft looking that's really a clever sod. But on those 1-3 days per week the best we can do for him is gonna be a dog walker for an hour in the middle of the day, leaving a four hour block each side of being alone.

The first five weeks we'll use annual leave from work and be home with it all the time to settle in etc, but the long term there's gonna be 1-3 days per week of walk, four hour chill, walk, four hour chill, then we're home.

Debs also got retired family who'd love to help out, and my parents would now and again, so the support network is there a bit, but it can't be expected of them.

Half the stuff I read makes me feel like a heartless bastard, half the stuff I read says he'll be OK for 4 hours a pop.... Thoughts?

*basically I'm looking for someone to say go for it and ease my guilt ;D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 11:04:17 pm by Jake »
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #4170 on: May 27, 2019, 12:03:55 am »
Gutted.
Feel for you mate.. my last dog (jack russell) had him about 15yrs, little cracker  8)  ... just remember the good, funny times  :wave
got another jack russell now.. think he's about 8 .....the mrs knows his 'birthday'..  ;D

The Power of the Dog
Rudyard Kipling - 1865-1936

https://poets.org/poem/power-dog
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4171 on: May 27, 2019, 09:15:50 am »
So me and my other half are seriously keen on getting a dog. But we're concerned that our schedules aren't gonna work with a pooch with any sort of energy about it.

She'll be a nurse as of Sept, working 3 long days a week (one of them weekend) and I'm a (trainee for now) solicitor out of the house about 8.30-6.30.

So on the average week there's gonna be two days where the hound is in the house all day. Some weeks there'll be one day as debs does both weekend days and some weeks there'll be three week days as she gets the weekend off.

I've my heart set on a big dog, alaskan malamute or a newfoundland, something big and daft looking that's really a clever sod. But on those 1-3 days per week the best we can do for him is gonna be a dog walker for an hour in the middle of the day, leaving a four hour block each side of being alone.

The first five weeks we'll use annual leave from work and be home with it all the time to settle in etc, but the long term there's gonna be 1-3 days per week of walk, four hour chill, walk, four hour chill, then we're home.

Debs also got retired family who'd love to help out, and my parents would now and again, so the support network is there a bit, but it can't be expected of them.

Half the stuff I read makes me feel like a heartless bastard, half the stuff I read says he'll be OK for 4 hours a pop.... Thoughts?

*basically I'm looking for someone to say go for it and ease my guilt ;D
Seems you've pretty much covered all bases in terms of commitment and extra cover Jake.  Everybodies circumstances are different so what works for one won't work for others.

My dogs are left alone for 5-6hrs on occasions (2 days every other week) and are fine but there's 2 of them and they have the run of the house.  The rest of the time it's no more than a couple of hours due to Paul's shifts.

They have had at least an hours walk, off lead before I leave them though, which is a pain in the arse for a lone female at 6am in the middle of winter.  Of course having somewhere that's safe to do that and where your missus feels comfortable doing it needs to be considered.

Mine are only walked twice a day, first thing in the morning and again late afternoon/teatime but it's at least 5 miles a day and off lead.  We have no garden so that's their only time outdoors which some might think isn't suitable but it works for us.

Don't feel guilty though, if you really want one and have weighed up the pros and cons, you'll make it work.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4172 on: May 27, 2019, 09:09:15 pm »
How the bloody hell can I get my dog to stop barking at the TV? The annoying thing is, he loves other dogs when out on a walk, and whenever another dog has come round the house he's been very welcoming. He's generally not that vocal and is well behaved.. but as soon as he sees a dog on the tele he goes batshit crazy.

We've tried everything. Ignoring him, shouting at him, leaving the room, getting him to leave the room, giving him treats when he doesn't do it, throwing things at him when does, pausing it on the dog so that he doesn't think he's succeeding in getting it to go away...

We had a trainer come round who was convinced before coming that it was a result of something we were doing, and he was just trying to protect us. I told them this wasn't the case because more often than not he will react to the dog before we've even noticed. In the end they stayed for an hour and did fuck all other than give him a few treats.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4173 on: May 27, 2019, 09:26:29 pm »
Not sure if it'll work, but this is what we did when one of ours was a bit nippy when playing. It takes being dedicated to it and it may take a few weeks before you see results but it certainly helped in our case.

So the first time they do it give them a firm no as they are barking and then carry on watching. The second time give them a no and keep it paused whilst they calm down then again carry on watching. The third time once again a firm no then remove them from the room for 5 mins. After the 5 mins bring them back and start from the first warning again.

The first few times you may find yourself doing it over and over, but they soon catch on. Could help to deliberately watch something each night with dogs on so you can try and get the message across quicker.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4174 on: May 27, 2019, 10:03:14 pm »
Not sure if it'll work, but this is what we did when one of ours was a bit nippy when playing. It takes being dedicated to it and it may take a few weeks before you see results but it certainly helped in our case.

So the first time they do it give them a firm no as they are barking and then carry on watching. The second time give them a no and keep it paused whilst they calm down then again carry on watching. The third time once again a firm no then remove them from the room for 5 mins. After the 5 mins bring them back and start from the first warning again.

The first few times you may find yourself doing it over and over, but they soon catch on. Could help to deliberately watch something each night with dogs on so you can try and get the message across quicker.

Cheers. We've got countless dog programmes on our recordings from past efforts so that's not a problem. The issue is that a firm no doesn't really get him to stop; as soon as he sees a dog on the TV he just completely zones out and pays no attention to what is going on around him.

Will give it a try though!

You really notice the ridiculous number of adverts with dogs in them when in a situation like this!!
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4175 on: May 27, 2019, 10:53:08 pm »
Cheers. We've got countless dog programmes on our recordings from past efforts so that's not a problem. The issue is that a firm no doesn't really get him to stop; as soon as he sees a dog on the TV he just completely zones out and pays no attention to what is going on around him.

Will give it a try though!

You really notice the ridiculous number of adverts with dogs in them when in a situation like this!!

Yeah it's not so much that at first he'll even get what no means, but he'll start to associate it eventually with it ending up meaning he gets removed from the room and away from the TV. It does take some perseverance so don't expect it to change right away, you just need to stick with it and be consistent.

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4176 on: June 3, 2019, 11:40:05 pm »
ah sorry to hear, had a good long life though which is always good.

Feel for you mate.. my last dog (jack russell) had him about 15yrs, little cracker  8)  ... just remember the good, funny times  :wave
got another jack russell now.. think he's about 8 .....the mrs knows his 'birthday'..  ;D

The Power of the Dog
Rudyard Kipling - 1865-1936

https://poets.org/poem/power-dog
Cheers lads I'll be getting another Jack Russell at some time in the future but not for a while yet.

Never heard of that poem before Hixxstar but its right in what it says. 

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4177 on: June 18, 2019, 07:41:19 pm »
Arnie has lived at my parents now since I moved out my house and into an apartment in town - they're retired & always loved having him, plus he has free reign of a big garden so it was a no brainer.

He's about 7 1/2 now and my Dad rang the other week saying he was struggling a bit with his back legs. Saw him on Sunday when I went up for Father's day and gave him a good look over and found a relatively large lump towards the base of his penis (towards his balls) - it's not that noticeable as dogs do have a lump around this area (bulbus glandis). Been the vets today and they've taken some samples from it using a needle (he didn't even flinch!) so just waiting on the result of those.

He's eating fine & not lost any weight, is drinking, and other than some discomfort due to the lump he's acting his normal self. In fact other than this lump he's as fit & healthy as he's ever been.

Obviously thinking the worst when it comes to lumps, and he'll no doubt need an operation of some sort once the results come back  :(

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4178 on: June 18, 2019, 08:53:22 pm »
Oh no!  Hoping for the best for you mate [emoji25]

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4179 on: June 19, 2019, 11:30:37 am »
Hope it turns out to be nothing, Craig.

Floyd put us through it earlier this year with mystery lumps, came out in various sized hard lumps all over and the vet had us thinking it could be anything from cancer to cushings to a simple allergic reaction. Had us up the wall with worry and did all kinds of tests and it turned out he'd probably wandered through a bush or something 🙄 fucking prick that dog.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4180 on: June 19, 2019, 11:39:02 am »
Aye fingers crossed all is well.

Vet got a bit of a shock when he walked in, as last weight they had on their records (he hasn’t been since he was about 14 weeks old) was 14kg.

Got him on the scale and he now weighs 68kg  ;D

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4181 on: June 19, 2019, 11:41:46 am »
;D did you have to get a JCB in to get him on the table?!

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4182 on: June 19, 2019, 11:43:49 am »
;D did you have to get a JCB in to get him on the table?!

He's definitely an examine where he stands dog  ;D

God knows what they'll do if he needs an op. Will have to fork lift him on there.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4183 on: June 20, 2019, 01:19:19 pm »
Whats the best way to find a breeder for puppies? Looking to get a specific breed but sites like pets4homes.co.uk put me off. Do breeders tend to have their own websites?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4184 on: June 20, 2019, 01:22:35 pm »
Whats the best way to find a breeder for puppies? Looking to get a specific breed but sites like pets4homes.co.uk put me off. Do breeders tend to have their own websites?

Champdogs is pretty good. As is the kennel club website.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4185 on: June 20, 2019, 01:30:06 pm »
Aye fingers crossed all is well.

Vet got a bit of a shock when he walked in, as last weight they had on their records (he hasn’t been since he was about 14 weeks old) was 14kg.

Got him on the scale and he now weighs 68kg  ;D

68kg, absolute beast!

Did you find out what the lump was?

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4186 on: June 20, 2019, 01:34:51 pm »

Just out of interest what breed you looking at?

I'll have to post some photos of my new dog, bought her last year from Netherlands she's a Japanese breed called a Shikoku. A year old today she's beautiful, although the breed is quite primitive in nature something I've never experienced before, been quite difficult to train her outside.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4187 on: June 20, 2019, 01:36:39 pm »
68kg, absolute beast!

Did you find out what the lump was?

He is a beast. All solid muscle too  ;D

Nah not yet, hoping I’ll hear tomorrow but wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Monday before I hear.

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4188 on: June 20, 2019, 02:27:45 pm »

I'll have to post some photos of my new dog, bought her last year from Netherlands she's a Japanese breed called a Shikoku. A year old today she's beautiful, although the breed is quite primitive in nature something I've never experienced before, been quite difficult to train her outside.
Siberian Husky. The Kennel club doesn't seem to post any pictures, just contact details of breeders.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4189 on: June 20, 2019, 02:29:14 pm »
Siberian Husky. The Kennel club doesn't seem to post any pictures, just contact details of breeders.

Your best bet is to find a good breeder and to contact them to see what planned litters they have. Good breeders will likely have a waiting list.

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4190 on: June 20, 2019, 04:13:28 pm »

They are amazing. How much did that set you back if you don't mind me asking.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4191 on: June 24, 2019, 01:51:06 pm »
They are amazing. How much did that set you back if you don't mind me asking.

Sorry just seen this now. She cost a hell of a lot, but we got a female as I'm hoping to breed her at some point. We love her to bits, but these working and essentially primitive breeds are very different to what I've been used to. For example, she hunts anything that moves like a cat. She'll stalk moths in the house and then pounce on them or chase them up the wall she's an absolute maniac! Very difficult to train off the lead as well, she's only let off in large open areas or linear paths away from the road. Again, anything that moves outside she treats like a game/hunt, although she is definitely improving with regards to other dogs. People often mistake her with a Husky to be honest because of the curled tail, but to be fair the appearance and traits of the Shikoku are very similar to the Husky. She's really affectionate in the house though, and she's a great watch dog which was one of the main reasons I chose the breed over others I was looking at.

Just out of interest why are you looking at a Husky?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4192 on: June 24, 2019, 02:24:21 pm »
He's definitely an examine where he stands dog  ;D

God knows what they'll do if he needs an op. Will have to fork lift him on there.

any news?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4193 on: June 24, 2019, 02:29:34 pm »
any news?

Nothing yet today. Going to ring them in the morning if I’ve not heard by end of today.

He’s been fine in himself since. Eating & drinking as normal, and the painkillers seem to have taken the edge off being uncomfortable too.

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4194 on: June 28, 2019, 01:25:53 pm »
Sorry just seen this now. She cost a hell of a lot, but we got a female as I'm hoping to breed her at some point. We love her to bits, but these working and essentially primitive breeds are very different to what I've been used to. For example, she hunts anything that moves like a cat. She'll stalk moths in the house and then pounce on them or chase them up the wall she's an absolute maniac! Very difficult to train off the lead as well, she's only let off in large open areas or linear paths away from the road. Again, anything that moves outside she treats like a game/hunt, although she is definitely improving with regards to other dogs. People often mistake her with a Husky to be honest because of the curled tail, but to be fair the appearance and traits of the Shikoku are very similar to the Husky. She's really affectionate in the house though, and she's a great watch dog which was one of the main reasons I chose the breed over others I was looking at.

Just out of interest why are you looking at a Husky?
Sounds like your dog shares many of the traits that a Husky does. To be honest I just always liked the look of them. They are meant to be hardwork but great with kids, and I have 3 of them (kids).

Offline Devon Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4195 on: June 28, 2019, 03:10:07 pm »
Sounds like your dog shares many of the traits that a Husky does. To be honest I just always liked the look of them. They are meant to be hardwork but great with kids, and I have 3 of them (kids).

There are LOADS of huskies in rescues at the moment due to their rise in popularity after Game Of Thrones. So, a) if you really must have a husky look at rescues, and b) look into the reasons why so many end up being rehomed. I have a rescued husky and he had terrible separation anxiety, was not at all good with other dogs and not good with kids. It's taken a lot of time and work to get him mostly sorted, but it's not a breed I would ever recommend as a family dog.

Go to a shelter and get an easy-going dog which you can meet and assess before committing to. There are loads of great dogs out there, don't feed the market for fashion breeders.

Online Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #4196 on: June 30, 2019, 07:23:07 pm »
How many weeks off work do you think we should take to settle in our dog when we get him? I'm thinking 2 weeks each so a solid month of time with it
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Willi

• ave a sensa yuma? It appears e will :) Needs an 'h' in 'Cef', clearly! Appy retirement, fella :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #4197 on: June 30, 2019, 11:23:05 pm »
How many weeks off work do you think we should take to settle in our dog when we get him? I'm thinking 2 weeks each so a solid month of time with it
When my daughter and I bought our dogs, we collected them on a Friday then went to work on the Monday (we didn't live in the same house at the time). I went home at lunchtime, I always had 1 1/2 hours lunch break. My daughter's then husband went home at lunchtime as well. Warned the neighbours there might be some whining and barking. At the start there's obviously a mess to clear but with a regime of no more than 4-5 hours (and in the night) my dog was house trained in  a few of weeks.  The whining (according to the neighbour) stopped after a few days.
At some stage you have to leave the dog,

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4198 on: July 1, 2019, 07:58:11 am »

Should be more than enough, and if you’re pretty strict and consistent with the toilet training should be able to go without making a mess by then during the day (assuming some let out during the day as their bladder size / control likely won’t be able to go all day no matter how trained).

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4199 on: July 1, 2019, 08:04:26 am »
Jake you'll probably know this already but whilst you're off work part of the "training" should be leaving them for short periods to acclimatise them against separation anxiety.