Author Topic: Liverpool FC boss Rafa Benitez aims to land ‘Best of British’  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Matt Rankin

• Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Bottom Feeder.
RAFA BENITEZ today promised Liverpool will continue to pursue a “Best of British” transfer policy whenever possible this summer as they begin the task of rebuilding.

The Reds swooped to sign hot prospect Jonjo Shelvey – who has played for England at a number of youth levels – last month from Charlton Athletic in a £1.7m deal.

They are also close to wrapping up an move for Glasgow Rangers defender Danny Wilson, a move that looks all the more shrewd after he was named Scotland’s Young Player of the Year.

In the past, Benitez has been criticised for favouring the foreign transfer market and not giving home-grown players the opportunity to show they are good enough to play for Liverpool.

Benitez, however, has defended his policy and has made it clear he would be happy to chase deals for English players – as long as the right option comes along.

“It is something that we have always tried to do,” he said. “We tried to sign Gareth Barry, we did the same with (Glen) Johnson. That was always the idea.

“We have tried to bring in British players with the right mentality and the passion for the club.

“We want them to know what it means to play for Liverpool Football Club.

“Shelvey is an addition like that. We are trying to do what is best for the club. We have a long-term plan in place and we try to follow that.”

Benitez, meanwhile, has not lost faith in Liverpool’s squad and is confident they will show their true colours next season.

“This team has good players and we have a good team,” adds Benitez. “We just had too many problems, too many injuries. We also had some difficulty dealing with expectation that everyone was thinking about us at the beginning of the season.”

Steven Gerrard, meanwhile, has switched in to World Cup mode and he is dreaming there will be a glorious conclusion to England’s adventure in South Africa.

Gerrard, Johnson and Jamie Carragher joined up with the majority of Fabio Capello’s initial 30-man squad for altitude training in Austria yesterday and he has stressed togetherness is key if England are to flourish.

“For us to be successful in the summer, everyone needs to stick together – the players, the management and the supporters,” said Gerrard.
Time is a factor and EMPTY seats is the answer...

Offline Chaztastic

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool FC boss Rafa Benitez aims to land ‘Best of British’
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 09:49:00 am »
How old is this article? Some of those quotes seem to from last week (if not before).

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 09:51:12 am »
How old is this article? Some of those quotes seem to from last week (if not before).

There from after we signed Shelvey, i would think with the bit bout england tagged on.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 03:42:37 pm »
RAFA BENITEZ today promised Liverpool will continue to pursue a “Best of British” transfer policy whenever possible this summer as they begin the task of rebuilding.

The Reds swooped to sign hot prospect Jonjo Shelvey – who has played for England at a number of youth levels – last month from Charlton Athletic in a £1.7m deal.

They are also close to wrapping up an move for Glasgow Rangers defender Danny Wilson, a move that looks all the more shrewd after he was named Scotland’s Young Player of the Year.

In the past, Benitez has been criticised for favouring the foreign transfer market and not giving home-grown players the opportunity to show they are good enough to play for Liverpool.

Benitez, however, has defended his policy and has made it clear he would be happy to chase deals for English players – as long as the right option comes along.

“It is something that we have always tried to do,” he said. “We tried to sign Gareth Barry, we did the same with (Glen) Johnson. That was always the idea.

“We have tried to bring in British players with the right mentality and the passion for the club.

“We want them to know what it means to play for Liverpool Football Club.

“Shelvey is an addition like that. We are trying to do what is best for the club. We have a long-term plan in place and we try to follow that.”

Benitez, meanwhile, has not lost faith in Liverpool’s squad and is confident they will show their true colours next season.

“This team has good players and we have a good team,” adds Benitez. “We just had too many problems, too many injuries. We also had some difficulty dealing with expectation that everyone was thinking about us at the beginning of the season.”

Steven Gerrard, meanwhile, has switched in to World Cup mode and he is dreaming there will be a glorious conclusion to England’s adventure in South Africa.

Gerrard, Johnson and Jamie Carragher joined up with the majority of Fabio Capello’s initial 30-man squad for altitude training in Austria yesterday and he has stressed togetherness is key if England are to flourish.

“For us to be successful in the summer, everyone needs to stick together – the players, the management and the supporters,” said Gerrard.

We could do with some of that at LFC
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 03:49:06 pm »

Thought the same when I heard him say it on SSN last night.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline GoldenAgger

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 04:25:52 pm »
Mashup article. Old quotes. Good idea from rafa if it's true. Hopefully cahill will be involved in our summer plans. Hopefully C Cole won't. We'll see what thr summer holds.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 05:03:28 pm »
Translation: "We are skint so I am trying to attract school kids from around where I live using a packet of wine gums I stil from fat George while he was trying to bend over and tie his laces"
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline will2003

• Legacy Fan
  • God and a Legend
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 05:18:25 pm »
'Steven Gerrard, meanwhile, has switched in to World Cup mode' he's been in it all season!
"We gave the fans their pride - again. We fought for the fans, we fought for the club and we fought for our players." - Legend

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 04:58:38 pm »
Translation: "We are skint so I am trying to attract school kids from around where I live using a packet of wine gums I stil from fat George while he was trying to bend over and tie his laces"

We should have tried that ages ago.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 05:01:15 pm »
The 'Steven Gerrard has switched to World Cup mode' bit dates it as being written in January.

Offline liverpoolfan1970

• Anny Roader
  • Anarcho-Capitalist
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 08:13:56 pm »
It only makes sense.  The ideal would be a team with 7-8 players produced by the Academy supplemented with strategic purposes.  I'm thinking of Barcelona.  It's not going to be easy to implement, but if he is successful we will be set for many years of success.
YNWA

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 08:21:50 pm »

;)

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 08:22:28 pm »
WTF

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 11:29:25 pm »

Correct
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline Obviously

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 11:46:04 pm »
Smokescreen, we're getting Messi!