Author Topic: Star Wars: Battlefront II  (Read 18590 times)

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2017, 03:13:34 pm »
Because those are the product. They're not misleading you. They say on the packet what they are, and say, for example, with a Kinder egg, you know you're buying a chocolate egg, and its got a toy in it. That's it. You know exactly what you are paying for when paying for them. If you can't understand why loot boxes exist to solely perpetuate and facilitate a type of addictive personality trait, i.e, like you find in a gambler, then I don't know what else to say. There is literally zero good about these things. It's inexcusable, and it's borderline criminal. What's even worse is that this isn't some tacked on thing that developers and publishers are just shoving into their games as an afterthought. They bloody well know what they are doing, and as such, that impacts on how a game is actually designed. Don't be under any illusion that this shit is harmless, or that it can just be brushed off as "yeah, I can just overlook that and crack on with the game." The game itself has deliberate elements in there that are designed to cause that microtransaction itch, so that you'll inevitably just want to scratch it by dipping into your pocket. It's usually in the form of a insufferable grind, or in Battlefront's case, an ass whopping by some 10 year old who's ma has given a weeks wages to so that he's guaranteed to keep killing you without any real effort.

The insidious thing about these crates, boxes, whatever they fuck they are, is that most of the stuff in them is absolutely fucking pointless. They are either cosmetic, or the loot by themselves aren't worth a fuck, unless, - and this is the kicker - you shell out enough money to buy enough of them to accumulate the most common items found inside them, which is usually some form of virtual currency. The inclusion of that piece of shit scheme in games is just another slap in the face to the consumer, and another bit of evidence in the argument towards why it can be classed as a form of gambling. If there's a chance of winning one of these items in a crate that would take 100 hours of gameplay time to acquire, and you don't give a shit about anything else in the boxes, then it's a gamble, because in a gamers mindset, especially when it comes to online competition, the aim is to win. It's fueling an addiction.

I don't disagree with you, believe me I don't. My point is that there's now tonnes of games out there who have implemented these systems into them. FIFA/Madden have built an empire off of lootboxes in Ultimate Team and more and more resources are going towards them modes. Do we make all FIFA games an 18 or R rated?

What's the best course of action here? Do we boycott all games that have any form of lootbox or microtransaction? FIFA/Madden, Overwatch, Battlefront, Shadow of War, COS:GO, GTA, NBA 2K and so on?

If those games were made R rated like GTA or COD then people would still buy them, even kids, so how do we stop that?

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2017, 11:50:28 pm »
I don't disagree with you, believe me I don't. My point is that there's now tonnes of games out there who have implemented these systems into them. FIFA/Madden have built an empire off of lootboxes in Ultimate Team and more and more resources are going towards them modes. Do we make all FIFA games an 18 or R rated?

What's the best course of action here? Do we boycott all games that have any form of lootbox or microtransaction? FIFA/Madden, Overwatch, Battlefront, Shadow of War, COS:GO, GTA, NBA 2K and so on?

If those games were made R rated like GTA or COD then people would still buy them, even kids, so how do we stop that?
That's the most sinister part about it. It's a type of gambling aimed at addictive personalities (lets be honest here, that's most kids) but they can get away with it because they can say the very thing that's in question, or being debated, and that is the excuse of "Well, its not gambling really because you're always getting something back." when really that's bollocks, because no one really gives a toss about the upteenth exact same skin you unlocked for your weapons, or the 100th pair of Nike boots, only in a different colour. That and it's, you know, a video game and it contains no violence, cursing or sexual content. That's what the ESRB  guidelines and publishing rules will invariably tell you. Of course, anyone with a bit of sense will know thats bollocks. It's just another snide little loophole for the c*nts to exploit, and unless we get some poor c*nt lose his life savings or his house over little Johnny spunking it all up a wall via a credit card on microtransactions, then they'll never inforce, or invent, a law that stipulates them as gambling, thus imposing the dreaded 'R' rating on their supposedly harmless sports game, or anything else that's deliberately geared towards kids, and man children, i.e Star Wars. Why do you think EA have sank their razor sharp talons into that juicy hot pie? It's ripe for it, that's why. Star Wars and microtransactions are a match made in  heaven. They know they're going to get idiots dipping into their pockets because of what it is. "Ohhh *gasp* I can unlock Darth Vader's force slam like he did in Rogue One !?! HOW! Tell me, please, please...I need that. Oh, it's in the crates? Fuck it. I'll throw a tenner at that and see if I can get it!" It's sickening. For people who think this is an overreaction, just wait and see what they do with Call of Duty, and then Battlefield. They're next.

To answer the question of what to do about it (and you're right, age certificate means fuck all regarding it) I think it's down to awareness. Plain and simple. These people only recognise one thing: sales stats and what that means for their bank balance. Parents need to be made aware of it, and anyone who's been gaming for more than 2 decades should fucking know better than to buy that shit. As soon as their sales projections take a dip, the result will be swift and lasting and the U-turn will be dramatic. Trust me on that. Ask Microsoft. The twats are still trying to recover from the always online, subscription based pay-to-play bullshit they initially tried to pull with the X1. Serves them right, the c*nts.

Also, more magazines and independent reviewers need to grow a set of bollocks. It starts with them. Give a game a really harsh score, and as we all know, that score has a big impact on sales. Hard to do that, seeing that a lot of them are easily swayed by free copies of games, possibly brown envelopes, and free backstage VIP early access events, which is like offering a fat person who can't stop eating an invitation into the back of Greggs with an all you can eat policy, so long as you've nice things to say after.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 12:03:39 am by Macphisto80 »

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2017, 08:16:55 pm »
Another downside to lootcrates is that the AAA studios will mostly focus on online multiplayer games, nobody really cares that much about microtransactions in single player games (shadow of war seems to be fine if you just ignore them)

it's the prestige online of having that thing nobody else does, so people spunk shitwads of cash on lootcrates to get the item they want

publishers know this, IMO it's 100% the reason Visceral just got shit canned and their Single player Star Wars game is dead in the water, EA looked at it and realised they'd have difficulty further milking customers after the initial purchase price, better to make another online Star Wars game of some kind and ram it full of loot crates

gotta maximise their profits because they simply can't survive on games at their current prices (a complete lie), I've no really issue with companies wanting to make as much money as possible, it's what they exist for mostly.

How's about this, release your £40 game with microtransactions if you must but let me buy it for £50 or £60 and not have to put up with that shit
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2017, 12:35:06 am »
Another downside to lootcrates is that the AAA studios will mostly focus on online multiplayer games, nobody really cares that much about microtransactions in single player games (shadow of war seems to be fine if you just ignore them)

it's the prestige online of having that thing nobody else does, so people spunk shitwads of cash on lootcrates to get the item they want

publishers know this, IMO it's 100% the reason Visceral just got shit canned and their Single player Star Wars game is dead in the water, EA looked at it and realised they'd have difficulty further milking customers after the initial purchase price, better to make another online Star Wars game of some kind and ram it full of loot crates

gotta maximise their profits because they simply can't survive on games at their current prices (a complete lie), I've no really issue with companies wanting to make as much money as possible, it's what they exist for mostly.

How's about this, release your £40 game with microtransactions if you must but let me buy it for £50 or £60 and not have to put up with that shit
Yep, spot on, especially about Viceral. I was just thinking that was the exact reason for that too just before I read your post. Battlefront will have a single player, but then again, its Star Wars and they can milk the tits off of it via its MP. The solo campaign is just the hook to get you in.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2017, 02:19:30 am »
Incredibly, despite being an adult in his late 20s, I got hooked on a mobile game to the tune of about $400. I could afford it, but one day I woke up and thought "what the fuck am I doing?". All those little $1 and $2 purchases added up over days and months. Luckily I was able to sell all the shit I'd bought to other rubes and ended up coming out ahead, but it is a rush and I knew exactly what I was getting and what the odds were and I still got hooked.

This all started with DLC IMO. You pay your money, get your game and then they start throwing extra (mostly pointless) shit at you for a fairly significant amount of money. Once people started paying for that, it was only a matter of time before they pushed it and pushed it and got to where we are today.

EA are testing the waters here. People got mad that loot boxes could give new players who spend an advantage over long term F2P players. EA have said that won't be the case, but that's just delaying the inevitable. You'll see it again probably with Battlefront 3.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2017, 12:35:01 pm »
I'm glad I don't have time to play much these days. These pay to win microtransations are the death of gaming.

I'll stick with uncharted and last of us style games. Only matter of time before they go that way too. Feel sorry for the youngsters and parents now. Absolutely ridiculous.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2017, 12:48:19 pm »
I agree and it looks like Activision are going to be taking the pay to win/microtransactions thing to even greater heights (or depths as the case may be): 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-LA6mi2v7ec&amp;t=324s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-LA6mi2v7ec&amp;t=324s</a>

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2017, 08:07:48 pm »
I agree and it looks like Activision are going to be taking the pay to win/microtransactions thing to even greater heights (or depths as the case may be): 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-LA6mi2v7ec&amp;t=324s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-LA6mi2v7ec&amp;t=324s</a>

Jesus fucking Christ.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2017, 11:30:44 pm »
Incredibly, despite being an adult in his late 20s, I got hooked on a mobile game to the tune of about $400. I could afford it, but one day I woke up and thought "what the fuck am I doing?". All those little $1 and $2 purchases added up over days and months. Luckily I was able to sell all the shit I'd bought to other rubes and ended up coming out ahead, but it is a rush and I knew exactly what I was getting and what the odds were and I still got hooked.

This all started with DLC IMO. You pay your money, get your game and then they start throwing extra (mostly pointless) shit at you for a fairly significant amount of money. Once people started paying for that, it was only a matter of time before they pushed it and pushed it and got to where we are today.

EA are testing the waters here. People got mad that loot boxes could give new players who spend an advantage over long term F2P players. EA have said that won't be the case, but that's just delaying the inevitable. You'll see it again probably with Battlefront 3.

DLC was brilliant when it first came out, you got genuine decent additions to games you really liked, usually about a year after launch because they hadn't already made it and cut it out of the game you paid money for.

Now they carve out chunks of the game, hide it behind DLC payments and season passes and try to convince you they aren't ripping you off.

Look at most games now, content wise.
All these big open world games, 80% of the content is grind and filler.
Then they add in a few missions and new zone that was actually always there and charge you 15 quid for your trouble.

I miss proper DLC, like some of the Borderlands expansions, they were fucking awesome.
Of course 2k are a horror show now but Borderlands was amazing.
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2017, 11:43:15 pm »
DLC was brilliant when it first came out, you got genuine decent additions to games you really liked, usually about a year after launch because they hadn't already made it and cut it out of the game you paid money for.

Now they carve out chunks of the game, hide it behind DLC payments and season passes and try to convince you they aren't ripping you off.

Look at most games now, content wise.
All these big open world games, 80% of the content is grind and filler.
Then they add in a few missions and new zone that was actually always there and charge you 15 quid for your trouble.

I miss proper DLC, like some of the Borderlands expansions, they were fucking awesome.
Of course 2k are a horror show now but Borderlands was amazing.

Yeah I immediately thought of the two GTA 4 DLC sets that were so good they could sell them as a separate game. And you know, if you want to spend $5 on a platinum skin for your .50 cal, fair play. But as with DLC, these microtransactions have been corrupted into something shitty and potentially gamebreaking.

I'm somewhat safe, since I only play the very best games on singleplayer, and only do co op multiplayer so the FIFAs/COD/Battlefield games of the world won't affect me. I was very close to buying Battlefront 2 but this deterred me from it.

Probably just as well, as I only planned on doing the campaign and having a quick go on the multiplayer.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2017, 12:34:34 am »
The money men are fucking the gaming industry. That c*nt Peter Moore when he was at EA as a lot to answer for. I know Madden is fucking ruined. The power of these consoles and Madden on the PS2 is better than the current shite on the PS4. The EA c*nts are only interested in online gaming and fucking rinsing people. I hope this Microtransaction shite doesnt creep into the Last of Us 2 its the only game i am looking forward too.

I love Witcher 3 but i refuse to pay for the DLC. I will probably buy the GOTY edition with everything on it in a year or two and then play it right through from the start. The greed in gaming is sad and i think it is affecting the quality of the games. Companies should be focused on creating a great game not having shitty single player campaigns and the main focus on the online extra money making shite. The whole game review industry needs a fucking overhaul as well, terrified to say anything in case they lose access. I am hoping this microtransaction issue will be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2017, 01:09:25 am »
I love Witcher 3 but i refuse to pay for the DLC. I will probably buy the GOTY edition with everything on it in a year or two and then play it right through from the start. The greed in gaming is sad and i think it is affecting the quality of the games. Companies should be focused on creating a great game not having shitty single player campaigns and the main focus on the online extra money making shite.

I'm far from a Witcher 3 or CD Project Red fanboy, but surely what they are doing is far from shady and is the way it should be done. They made a game that gave you the full experience and then made two addons they sold as DLC for a fair price. That's how it was in older times. None of the DLC seems to have been cut out of the full game which have you a complete experience (main and side quests, various activities and even a card game). When that was successful they expanded the whole thing with additional stories.

And while I agree that the industry (publishers, reviewers, developers) share most of the blame for recent developments the consumer definitely has to take part of the blame. They have been paying for the stuff that's been served up in recent times. There was huge uproar about Mordor Shadow of War or whatever it is called, but it still sells like crazy. The same will happen with the likes of Battlefront 2. Consumers have to wake up and stop supporting all that shite by buying the games or using microtransactions. That will never happen though, because too many people seem to be willing to pay for the same old shite over and over again.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2017, 02:27:11 am »
I'm far from a Witcher 3 or CD Project Red fanboy, but surely what they are doing is far from shady and is the way it should be done. They made a game that gave you the full experience and then made two addons they sold as DLC for a fair price. That's how it was in older times. None of the DLC seems to have been cut out of the full game which have you a complete experience (main and side quests, various activities and even a card game). When that was successful they expanded the whole thing with additional stories.

And while I agree that the industry (publishers, reviewers, developers) share most of the blame for recent developments the consumer definitely has to take part of the blame. They have been paying for the stuff that's been served up in recent times. There was huge uproar about Mordor Shadow of War or whatever it is called, but it still sells like crazy. The same will happen with the likes of Battlefront 2. Consumers have to wake up and stop supporting all that shite by buying the games or using microtransactions. That will never happen though, because too many people seem to be willing to pay for the same old shite over and over again.

People.just don't care. Look at fucking Amazon, busted for tax avoidance and they're still as popular as ever.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2017, 02:33:54 am »
Dying Light seems to have a good a model, years after release they fire our DLC for nought

Great game, fucking love it.
STFU and agree with me.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2017, 12:01:02 pm »
The money men are fucking the gaming industry. That c*nt Peter Moore when he was at EA as a lot to answer for. I know Madden is fucking ruined. The power of these consoles and Madden on the PS2 is better than the current shite on the PS4. The EA c*nts are only interested in online gaming and fucking rinsing people. I hope this Microtransaction shite doesnt creep into the Last of Us 2 its the only game i am looking forward too.

I love Witcher 3 but i refuse to pay for the DLC. I will probably buy the GOTY edition with everything on it in a year or two and then play it right through from the start. The greed in gaming is sad and i think it is affecting the quality of the games. Companies should be focused on creating a great game not having shitty single player campaigns and the main focus on the online extra money making shite. The whole game review industry needs a fucking overhaul as well, terrified to say anything in case they lose access. I am hoping this microtransaction issue will be the straw that breaks the camels back.
You probably chose the worst game to pick there as a point to prove not to buy DLC. The developers who made Witcher 3 got started on the DLC post launch and they are definitely worth the money.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2017, 12:07:21 pm »
Mario Kart DLC was good. The Mercedes add ons were free, the other add ons added extra tracks that were fun, but their absence did not make the game any less complete. In general, any DLC available on launch date is usually a big flashing neon warning sign.

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2017, 01:02:49 pm »
The Witcher 3 is DLC done right. Incredible value for money.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2017, 01:55:56 pm »
The Witcher 3 is DLC done right. Incredible value for money.

Yeah it really is, bad example to give to be honest as CD Projekt Red are one of the few studios to do it right. Dying Light DLC is boss as well, open land with a vehicle completely changes the gameplay. I even don’t mind the BF1 model as the basic game has shit loads of maps, and they release a new map with each DLC for free anyway. Can obviously understand though why people wouldn’t want to fork out more money though for new maps, weapons etc.

I’ve also been playing through Shadow of War and had barely any interaction with the loot boxes etc. But the way the loot drops worked in the Battlefront II beta was a disgrace. If people don’t have time to play much and don’t want to get battered, stick them all in a server where’s there’s a level cap if it’s such a big issue, let all the shit players play together. Don’t penalise ordinary players who make up the majority.

Offline slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2017, 12:00:35 am »
Yes lads reading back fuck knows what i was going on about mentioning the Witcher with my rant on the gaming industry. It was an alcohol fuelled rant kicked off by EA's ineptitude. I was trying to make the point that the Witcher is how it should be done. Make a great single player game and then add other arc's to the story as DLC is the way to go.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2017, 12:03:04 pm »
I really want to play the single player campaign in this new Star Wars game, but it'll be by far the most expensive game I've bought for PC so I dunno if it's really worth it.

I don't do the head to head online gaming stuff at all so I'm not really up to speed, or even all that interested in all the micro-transaction stuff (I do play a free to play MMO but the store points are earned in game so it's not costing real money).
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2017, 02:22:36 pm »
I really want to play the single player campaign in this new Star Wars game, but it'll be by far the most expensive game I've bought for PC so I dunno if it's really worth it.

I don't do the head to head online gaming stuff at all so I'm not really up to speed, or even all that interested in all the micro-transaction stuff (I do play a free to play MMO but the store points are earned in game so it's not costing real money).

There are "other ways" of playing single player PC games. Although it's been a while since I looked for an EA game so I'm not sure how easily cracked they are.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2017, 11:13:44 pm »
There are "other ways" of playing single player PC games. Although it's been a while since I looked for an EA game so I'm not sure how easily cracked they are.
Skidrowreloaded dot com have got Watch Dogs 2, Mass Effect Andromeda, Far Cry Primal and a whole lot more on the first page of their website.
I don't know who many others are EA, but single player games will always get there pretty fast.
Even the Dunevo (I don't know how to spell that ...) anti hacking software is now crackable in half a day, that's how long it took to crack that other piece of microtransactions game, Shadow of War.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2017, 05:50:52 am »
Skidrowreloaded dot com have got Watch Dogs 2, Mass Effect Andromeda, Far Cry Primal and a whole lot more on the first page of their website.
I don't know who many others are EA, but single player games will always get there pretty fast.
Even the Dunevo (I don't know how to spell that ...) anti hacking software is now crackable in half a day, that's how long it took to crack that other piece of microtransactions game, Shadow of War.

Are we allowed to talk about pirate sites here?

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2017, 04:47:18 pm »
Apparently it takes 40 hours to unlock Darth Vader.

If you already hate loot boxes, don't go near this game.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2017, 04:51:38 pm »

Yeah this is ridiculous. The only game mode I played on the last one was Heroes vs Villains, was obsessed with it... Pre-ordered the deluxe edition this year looking forward to playing as my favourite character (Maul) and then find out you've got to unlock the heroes and villains though in-game credits. So stupid.

edit: just checked and it seems you unlock Maul right away, along with Bobba Fett, Kylo, Bossk, Han, Lando, Rey. The ones to unlock are Vader (60k), Luke (60k), Palpatine (40k), Chewy (40k), Leia (20k), Versio (20k). So a little less pissed off, but still a pretty disgusting tactic.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 04:58:37 pm by JoeCole »

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2017, 04:57:03 pm »
Yeah this is ridiculous. The only game mode I played on the last one was Heroes vs Villains, was obsessed with it... Pre-ordered the deluxe edition this year looking forward to playing as my favourite character (Maul) and then find out you've got to unlock the heroes and villains though in-game credits. So stupid.
Blatantly encouraging players to pay for progression, this is so far beyond the pale. This is what happens when people are apathetic towards stuff like this though, give these publishers an inch and they'll take a mile.

Offline Malcolm Night

• Anny Roader
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2017, 05:50:13 pm »

Just read about this on the Battlefront subreddit.

What a shit show, can't even play their flagship characters unless you pay for crates or devote eons to the game. Think I might boycott this one, the very most I'll do is get it off Cex or Ebay a few months down the line. Certainly not buying into their micro-transaction shite.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2017, 07:12:53 pm »
Hey, we made a star wars games

GREAT, i can't wait to play as Luke or Vader

well....
STFU and agree with me.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2017, 07:27:27 pm »
Don't buy it

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2017, 08:16:14 pm »
It's a shame too, as having played the trial, this is the game they ought to have made with the first one.
AHA!

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2017, 08:17:44 pm »
Gonna play it via other means for the campaign...

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2017, 10:13:45 pm »
After Reddit shit the bed about it and it got 450k downvotes EA have reduced the cost by 75%

so it'll take just ten hours to unlock characters that you've already paid for

they could make it take 2 mins to unlock them and i'd still not buy this, it's still pay to win for loot crates
STFU and agree with me.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2017, 10:30:53 pm »
yeah fuck pay to win, i'll pick up a cheap second hand copy on ps4 someday to play the campaign or maybe download for pc if it gets cracked but they can get fucked if they think i'm paying full price for it

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2017, 11:28:08 pm »
After Reddit shit the bed about it and it got 450k downvotes EA have reduced the cost by 75%

so it'll take just ten hours to unlock characters that you've already paid for

they could make it take 2 mins to unlock them and i'd still not buy this, it's still pay to win for loot crates

I'm ok with having to pay to unlock characters in games. There's nothing overtly wrong with that. I don't even mind people paying to jump the line either, it worked out ok with GTA V. I just thought 40 hours was absolute madness.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2017, 11:49:43 pm »
there's nothing wrong with paying to unlock characters in a game, that's true

if they're released after the game was launched as new characters

taking a character and putting it behind a paywall on a full price game is a scumbag move, EA are scumbags
yeah, you can unlock the character but they're adding in grind mechanics to try and double dip on players
they make the game specifically with this in mind and it makes the games worse
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2017, 02:14:35 am »
there's nothing wrong with paying to unlock characters in a game, that's true

if they're released after the game was launched as new characters

taking a character and putting it behind a paywall on a full price game is a scumbag move, EA are scumbags
yeah, you can unlock the character but they're adding in grind mechanics to try and double dip on players
they make the game specifically with this in mind and it makes the games worse
Depends on the genre, though. If it's a fighting game, then obviously the entire game functions around that, so paying money for more fighters makes more sense as a type of DLC. I still, however, think that's just another shitty practice in the industry that they shouldn't be allowed to get away with. A videogame should always be produced with the mindset of putting out a final and finished product that is polished to the best of the developer's ability. What's to stop a dev chopping out certain stuff on the planning board with the intent of keeping it for later DLC releases? If you've the time and resources, fucking put it in there and make a game that's as good as it can possibly be. Seriously, I think ever since consoles got the ability to connect to the internet is one of the worst things, if not the worst, to happen to practice standards in gaming. It gives far too much leeway to developers to fuck around with their product, and to fuck with the customer.

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2017, 03:01:17 am »
I'm ok with having to pay to unlock characters in games. There's nothing overtly wrong with that. I don't even mind people paying to jump the line either, it worked out ok with GTA V. I just thought 40 hours was absolute madness.
Even 10 hours is excessive. I think Capcom tried something similar a few years back where they had extra characters on the disk but you had to buy DLC to access them. It's the same concept just executed differently. You can play the game to unlock them but I seriously doubt most players will put in the time to get the full experience.

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2017, 06:40:11 am »
I was looking forward to this when the single player side was included and before all the loot box nonsense. As someone who doesn’t have the time to invest in maxing out on multiplayer modes and also doesn’t want to spend more money, over a £45 initial purchase, to do this I’m out.

It sort of helps me as I have a long backlog of games and cutting a few from the list is helping!
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2017, 09:34:45 am »
Might have considered picking this up at some point but thankfully read through this thread first.

Definitely going to swerve it as I fucking hate the idea of having to grind for hours or pay just to unlock characters I was able to already play as in the previous game!!

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2017, 09:42:30 am »
I am really REALLY happy to see the outrage about Microtransactions but I hope it actually "goes somewhere" ultimately some people are already seriously hooked on this (especially things likw FIFA Ultimate Team) and will keep doing it regardless, I used to be part of that group but now I absolutely despise it.

Another form I hate is "Season Pass" on CoD and stuff now they get you to buy a Season Pass which guarantees you FIRST ACCESS (caps important because that's how they sell it to you) to the new DLC etc... not explaining that generally that is already part of the game albeit they just locked it down to then treackle feed you, same with Destiny, same with many other things... it's absolutely disgusting.

So games have already jumped from like £30 to about £50 and then with Season Pass and whatnot you're already up to about £80 and THEN they still want microtransactions... it's absolutely criminal and the game should 100% be marked as gambling when it comes to that, the fact they know little kids are going into their parents pockets to get stuff is so immoral it's not even funny but we just treat it as normal now, weird.

Ubisoft also especially bad at this with Rainbow Six Siege, I mean as a business you can say it's smart, they are making money on a game WAY beyond it's shelf life, but for consumers they are absolutely shafting us, I mean, some of the skins for ONE character on Siege are like £7 - the FULL game these days costs about the same if not less.