Author Topic: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)  (Read 453899 times)

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)
« Reply #8840 on: March 9, 2024, 08:34:14 am »
There was an interview with someone from TKO this week saying there’s a huge opportunity for WWE to incorporate more advertising to the ringside area. Now, they’ve got Prime sponsoring the ring mat.

Take a while to get used to that change.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #8841 on: March 9, 2024, 10:48:11 am »
That new entrance for The Rock is pretty spectacular.

Loved it

He needs a new theme though

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #8842 on: March 9, 2024, 10:50:52 am »
Now, they’ve got Prime sponsoring the ring mat.

Take a while to get used to that change.

That’s was only for the Ksi/Logan segment

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8843 on: March 9, 2024, 10:55:54 am »

That’s was only for the Ksi/Logan segment

Dunno, WWE put out a press release saying Prime branding will be on the mat for their PPVs including Mania and Money in the Bank.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #8844 on: March 9, 2024, 11:14:28 am »
Dunno, WWE put out a press release saying Prime branding will be on the mat for their PPVs including Mania and Money in the Bank.

Yeah, just seen this now. That sucks.

It should be either plain or have a WWE logo in the middle. Anything else looks dumb

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8845 on: March 9, 2024, 11:38:43 am »
Sasha Banks probably shouldn’t be doing interviews saying she’ll be back in WWE one day, less than a week before her AEW debut.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8846 on: March 9, 2024, 05:22:21 pm »
WrestleMania should always have Roman numerals.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8847 on: March 9, 2024, 11:48:20 pm »
Won't be long before the ring mat looks like this

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8848 on: March 9, 2024, 11:52:24 pm »
That new entrance for The Rock is pretty spectacular.
Feels like he's a tweener, he's still getting insane pops. If he wants to go full heel he needs the Hollywood entrance back

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7y1pt1

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8849 on: March 9, 2024, 11:53:05 pm »
Where is that fucker Amir? I told youse The Rock ain't a heel.  ;D

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8850 on: March 10, 2024, 12:02:25 am »
;D Never seen a good guy call people drug addicts/inbred/obese.

He’s full on heel until his inevitable feud with Roman Reigns.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8851 on: March 10, 2024, 06:04:49 am »
;D Never seen a good guy call people drug addicts/inbred/obese.

He’s full on heel until his inevitable feud with Roman Reigns.

He's probably the most unselfish main event wrestler of all time, but he definitely knows what he is doing, at times, to keep the audience relatively onside when he's a heel.

That said, he still seems pretty gassed doing a promo, so the feud with Roman can wait.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8852 on: March 11, 2024, 03:24:48 pm »
Muhammed Ali going into the Hall of Fame.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #8853 on: March 11, 2024, 04:20:44 pm »
Muhammed Ali going into the Hall of Fame.

He's no Drew Carey
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8854 on: March 11, 2024, 10:22:48 pm »
Nick Khan and Brad Blum named as Corporate Officer no 1 and No2 in the Vince McMahon sex trafficking lawsuit - they did not explicitly know of the alleged sexual assault but allegedly did facilitate and cover up the exploitation

https://frontofficesports.com/wwe-nick-khan-brad-blum-vince-mcmahon-sex-trafficking-suit/

Also alleges that Stephanie knew of previous times her dad engaged in inappropriate sexual conduct
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 10:25:05 pm by Stockholm Syndrome »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8855 on: March 11, 2024, 10:40:24 pm »
None of this is really surprising, they had to know something sus was going on.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8856 on: March 11, 2024, 11:14:48 pm »
None of this is really surprising, they had to know something sus was going on.

I thought Khan would know but completely quarantine himself from it so he wouldn't even be named

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8857 on: March 12, 2024, 07:47:04 am »
Sami versus Gunther at Mania. That could be great.

Pretty stacked cards across both nights so far:

Roman Reigns vs Cody Rhodes
Seth Rollins vs Drew McIntyre
Roman/Rock vs Cody/Seth
Rhea vs Becky
Bayley vs Iyo Sky
Gunther vs Sami Zayn
Jey Uso vs Jimmy Uso
Six Pack Tag Team Ladder Match (Balor/Priest probably against DIY, Awesome Truth, New Day, Dunne/Bate and another).

Probably Logan Paul against Randy Orton, or maybe a triple threat with Owens in there for the US title. AJ Styles against LA Knight seems to be happening too, unless they just bundle everyone together into a five-way US Title match which is possible.

And then some smaller matches to pad out the show and the kickoffs.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 09:27:18 am by Barefoot Doctor »

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8858 on: March 12, 2024, 12:24:49 pm »
Nick Khan and Brad Blum named as Corporate Officer no 1 and No2 in the Vince McMahon sex trafficking lawsuit - they did not explicitly know of the alleged sexual assault but allegedly did facilitate and cover up the exploitation

https://frontofficesports.com/wwe-nick-khan-brad-blum-vince-mcmahon-sex-trafficking-suit/

Also alleges that Stephanie knew of previous times her dad engaged in inappropriate sexual conduct

Wonder if there are any more names going to come out in the open 

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8859 on: March 12, 2024, 02:41:20 pm »
I do wonder who'll induct him. The obvious candidate is Punk but with it being in Philly, maybe they'll prefer someone with a stronger connection to ECW.
Give it Tommy Dreamer for some spice
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8860 on: March 13, 2024, 09:57:06 am »
https://twitter.com/wrestling_VI/status/1767600828888633599?t=1GJKL43KEirtwo7Vy7447A&s=19

Ignore the question - how much of a fucking monster was Bob Backlund?! Defended his title on average every 2 and a bit days

Fucking James Milner levels of being a workhorse fucking hell

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #8861 on: March 13, 2024, 11:13:35 pm »
https://twitter.com/wrestling_VI/status/1767600828888633599?t=1GJKL43KEirtwo7Vy7447A&s=19

Ignore the question - how much of a fucking monster was Bob Backlund?! Defended his title on average every 2 and a bit days

Fucking James Milner levels of being a workhorse fucking hell

At the end of the day, that's what the business was like in those days. People were working shitloads of matches every week. Cornette has done a few bits where he's just going through his notes from back then and he often went weeks with only a handful of days without a show.

Anyone seen the new Dark Side of the Ring series? Not sure how I feel about it. They had Earthquake John Tenta for the first episode and now Buff Bagwell for the second. Tenta's story is sad, because he died young, everybody liked him, he seems to have been a really nice guy and his wrestling career kind of imploded. Doesn't really fit in with those really "dark" episodes they've done in the past. The Buff Bagwell thing is kind of the same except that he seems to be a massive bellend and has had some issues whether it's his weird relationship with his mom or his drug issues. Then again, the ending is on the more positive side, so also not a really "dark" story. Don't mind to see things like that, because they probably went through most of the insanely dark stuff, but they might want to find another title for the show. ;)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #8862 on: March 14, 2024, 09:43:58 am »
I read Earthquake was a lovely man alright, he was quite scary growing up, not just because of him beating the shit out of Hogan and squashing Jake's snake but he had a very angry voice and a very menacing look.

I think Bret Hart said it hurt him when kids would run away from him in the airport so he loved it when he got to turn face, I love it when him and Typhoon won the tag belts, crowd goes nuts and you can tell him and quake are just so happy.

Regarding the schedule yes it was nuts back in the day, house show after house show after house show, no wonder loads turned to booze, drugs and were just burned out

Though Hogans claim to have wrestled 400 days a year is just hilarious
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8863 on: March 14, 2024, 10:19:17 am »
Dynamite again last night was really really good, not a perfect show (Jericho can fuck off) but some really high highs, and skin deep lows.

Mercedes was presented great, and really did her job, thumbs up all round.

Okada is PERFECT in his role as the big money signing bully hanging out with the sniveling smug weedy EVP's. He looks and feels like a star. I am glad they are giving him the title match next week, as he is definitely someone who feels naked without a title around his waist.

Ospreay's promo was fucking great. He is already a real top Babyface and has an aura of someone who can drag a company up to his level. He feels like AEW's new Cody, but more suited to the company (where as Cody is absolutely suited to WWE)

On that point, fucking hell Okada and Ospreay are brilliant on TV. The big worry about them was could that translate, well in two weeks Okada has shown he can work hard cam and can work as a strong character, and Ospreay has done the same AND is a great promo. They look like naturals

A nice shift I am seeing in verbiage is they are talking of AEW as if it is the place where the elite wrestle. To use old school WCW, it is where the big boys play. It is setting out a real identity rather than the bollocks "I hate this place" stuff in 2023.

Jay White and Darby was fucking awesome. I love Jay White as a heel as he is clearly very very good in the ring, but also he isn't a noble heel, he will cheat, and lie, and refuse to accept defeat, and use every available shortcut. He is competent AND a piece of shit using every advantage he can muster

Yeah again another great show, and more for the quality of 2024.

Online RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #8864 on: March 14, 2024, 10:33:09 am »
Mercedes' intro was great

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8865 on: March 14, 2024, 11:26:57 am »
At the end of the day, that's what the business was like in those days. People were working shitloads of matches every week. Cornette has done a few bits where he's just going through his notes from back then and he often went weeks with only a handful of days without a show.

Anyone seen the new Dark Side of the Ring series? Not sure how I feel about it. They had Earthquake John Tenta for the first episode and now Buff Bagwell for the second. Tenta's story is sad, because he died young, everybody liked him, he seems to have been a really nice guy and his wrestling career kind of imploded. Doesn't really fit in with those really "dark" episodes they've done in the past. The Buff Bagwell thing is kind of the same except that he seems to be a massive bellend and has had some issues whether it's his weird relationship with his mom or his drug issues. Then again, the ending is on the more positive side, so also not a really "dark" story. Don't mind to see things like that, because they probably went through most of the insanely dark stuff, but they might want to find another title for the show. ;)

I've been meaning to check it out for a while. Heard it's good.

Does Jericho still narrate it? Could end up doing one on him in the years to come. That'll be awkward.

Dynamite again last night was really really good, not a perfect show (Jericho can fuck off) but some really high highs, and skin deep lows.

Mercedes was presented great, and really did her job, thumbs up all round.

Okada is PERFECT in his role as the big money signing bully hanging out with the sniveling smug weedy EVP's. He looks and feels like a star. I am glad they are giving him the title match next week, as he is definitely someone who feels naked without a title around his waist.

Ospreay's promo was fucking great. He is already a real top Babyface and has an aura of someone who can drag a company up to his level. He feels like AEW's new Cody, but more suited to the company (where as Cody is absolutely suited to WWE)

On that point, fucking hell Okada and Ospreay are brilliant on TV. The big worry about them was could that translate, well in two weeks Okada has shown he can work hard cam and can work as a strong character, and Ospreay has done the same AND is a great promo. They look like naturals

A nice shift I am seeing in verbiage is they are talking of AEW as if it is the place where the elite wrestle. To use old school WCW, it is where the big boys play. It is setting out a real identity rather than the bollocks "I hate this place" stuff in 2023.

Jay White and Darby was fucking awesome. I love Jay White as a heel as he is clearly very very good in the ring, but also he isn't a noble heel, he will cheat, and lie, and refuse to accept defeat, and use every available shortcut. He is competent AND a piece of shit using every advantage he can muster

Yeah again another great show, and more for the quality of 2024.

Thought Mercedes looked like a star from the get go. If she cannot make the women's division rise - and lacklustre is the kindest way to describe the division at times - then there is a serious issue happening.

Okada is just a great of the game in an exciting new venue. I must admit, for his legacy I wanted him in WWE, but AEW, with that money and schedule and fan base is the right fit for him. I disagree with them splitting the belts this early - cos he will surely win his match - but he looks a level above pretty much everything else on the show. Bucks have finally found a character that works for their character work as well. Just keep Okada away from Kenny for a little while longer; I suspect many will have the opposite opinion.

Ospreay cut a nice little promo. He's not a natural by any means, but he understands how important it is to get better at it. It's why he very well may go down as one of the very best when he hangs it up. Again, I felt he would improve his relatiuve weaknesses more in WWE, but it's hard to argue with the choice he made.

I disagree that he will be the one who brings AEW to that next level though. That will be very much a collective effort. Bischoff talked about Hogan joining WCW and not necessarily bringing ratings up, but bringing commercial deals back to the forefront (the split of PPVS changed in WCW's favour as an example) that showed Ted Turner a route to profitability. Ospreay isn't that, but if he is to be their Steve Austin, he'll need a Bret Hart to make his rise unstoppable and a HBK to lay down for him at the right moment. I'm not sure you have those 2 men for him for his path to the top to be quite so epic.

But, if anyone can handle the very erratic booking Khan forces on these guys, Ospreay is your man. If they are doing Wembley in 2025, I think there could be money in that title chase till then.

Jay White and Darby Allin was Darby's best match in my opinion. And it was a refreshing one. They fought over advantages, White used all the tricks in his arsenal, they didn't spam finishers, they told a story and it had the right result. What a match.

If you asked me to name the 10 best male wrestlers in AEW and WWE, I'd say AEW has 6 easily. I'd say Danielson, Ospreay, Okada, Jay White, Swerve and Hangman. They've got some fantastic talent there, and under that you have your Samoa Joes, Adam Coles, MJF (who I may well put in that top 10 when he's back)

It is a roster of riches. Often let down by the company as a whole, they seem to be getting their act together.

I hope they keep proving me wrong because, I keep saying it, wrestlers making money wrestling is fantastic for everybody.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8866 on: March 14, 2024, 11:59:03 am »
I disagree that he will be the one who brings AEW to that next level though. That will be very much a collective effort. Bischoff talked about Hogan joining WCW and not necessarily bringing ratings up, but bringing commercial deals back to the forefront (the split of PPVS changed in WCW's favour as an example) that showed Ted Turner a route to profitability. Ospreay isn't that, but if he is to be their Steve Austin, he'll need a Bret Hart to make his rise unstoppable and a HBK to lay down for him at the right moment. I'm not sure you have those 2 men for him for his path to the top to be quite so epic.

On this point specifically (because I thought your whole post in general was very good and and I agree with it) - I think I need to clarify what I mean, as yeah I don't think he is the guy to bring the company to the next level per say - he isn't selling everything himself and getting all these deals etc (although it very much seems WBD are very happy with the company and all that is coming)

I meant it more as in dragging the roster up, the shows, etc. There is a post on Twitter from someone I followed who said the likes of Cody and Punk were big voices for AEW, they set the direction of momentum and the identity of the place. It wasn't necessarily influence or booking or anything like that, just they were performers that were a guiding light of sorts as yo what your company is and where they are going.

In AEW without them it felt a bit listless, finding their identity a bit. Ospreay I think is absolutely that sort of guiding figure for the company, and in many ways a better one than Punk or Cody were, more suited to what the company is meant to be (much like Cody is better suited for that role in WWE).

I think in terms of his Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels, I think that is going to be Okada and Swerve, as I look at it right now. But there are a few people it can be - White, Hangman, Omega, and MJF in particular come to mind, and Takeshita if he is given a platform to kick in from that awesome revolution match

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8868 on: March 14, 2024, 03:56:35 pm »
On this point specifically (because I thought your whole post in general was very good and and I agree with it) - I think I need to clarify what I mean, as yeah I don't think he is the guy to bring the company to the next level per say - he isn't selling everything himself and getting all these deals etc (although it very much seems WBD are very happy with the company and all that is coming)

I meant it more as in dragging the roster up, the shows, etc. There is a post on Twitter from someone I followed who said the likes of Cody and Punk were big voices for AEW, they set the direction of momentum and the identity of the place. It wasn't necessarily influence or booking or anything like that, just they were performers that were a guiding light of sorts as yo what your company is and where they are going.

In AEW without them it felt a bit listless, finding their identity a bit. Ospreay I think is absolutely that sort of guiding figure for the company, and in many ways a better one than Punk or Cody were, more suited to what the company is meant to be (much like Cody is better suited for that role in WWE).

I think in terms of his Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels, I think that is going to be Okada and Swerve, as I look at it right now. But there are a few people it can be - White, Hangman, Omega, and MJF in particular come to mind, and Takeshita if he is given a platform to kick in from that awesome revolution match

Ah, very kind of you to praise my rambling incoherence. I lost track of what I was talking about at times.

Ah yes, I can well see that. Ospreay as the barometer who will give other people something to aim for can work really well. I hope that translates to more matches like the Takeshita one (which I think left something in the ring for a rematch, but Takeshita hasn't had consistent booking for a while now) rather than the Omega ones (which seems to have gotten some love but they weren't my cup of tea). He doesn't strike me as the sort of person who has the leadership skills of Cody or the sheer defiant drive for perfection, and chaos let's be honest, that Punk does.

But, he changed his style to get better, he has improved his promos tenfold. You're looking at a guy who drives his own talents onwards and that must have a galvanising effect on the locker room; I think Gerrard had that for us, I don't think he was equipped with all the things you'd stereotypically say a battlefield leader was, but he definitely made players better around him.

You've kind of turned me though there with that Okada and Swerve thing. Maybe Danielson as the Piper or Macho Man, given he's retiring.

https://twitter.com/thejenngannon/status/1767976168341303589?s=19

:lmao :lmao :lmao

That, I will never unsee.

Offline Vegeta

• Is definitely a vegetable. All posts stink like sprouts.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #8869 on: March 15, 2024, 02:47:25 am »
Sasha Banks is needed more in AEW than she would be in WWE, The WWE women's division is pretty stacked especially with the emergence of Tiffy Time who's gonna be one of the next mega stars in wrestling and all the talented women they have down in NXT like Lyra and Roxanne Perez so that's why WWE didn't pay Sasha Banks the money that AEW have paid her.

I don't know why she made those comments that she wants to come back to WWE one day when AEW is the perfect place for her, in AEW she could make a revolution happen in that women's division but in WWE she would be just another wrestler.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 06:23:10 am by Vegeta »
150 IQ never wrong.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8870 on: March 15, 2024, 09:04:54 am »
Sasha Banks is needed more in AEW than she would be in WWE, The WWE women's division is pretty stacked especially with the emergence of Tiffy Time who's gonna be one of the next mega stars in wrestling and all the talented women they have down in NXT like Lyra and Roxanne Perez so that's why WWE didn't pay Sasha Banks the money that AEW have paid her.

I don't know why she made those comments that she wants to come back to WWE one day when AEW is the perfect place for her, in AEW she could make a revolution happen in that women's division but in WWE she would be just another wrestler.

Yeah, I'd say she was one of the very few I'd say "there is more for you in AEW than WWE".

She will have her work cut out, because we are well past the point where you can say Khan has served the division well and there is a paucity of talent there, but she is good enough, and stubborn enough, to make her case.

She will almost certainly be back in WWE, partly because she will have an eye on more film roles if nothing else.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8871 on: March 15, 2024, 09:16:40 am »
I dunno how I feel about the Mercedes segments, I'm happy for her and I think she'll bust her ass because she actually does love wrestling... but I could do without the whole CEO stuff and her just dancing to her music in the ring for way too long.  Just get to wrestling instead, please.

Ospreay's promo game is light years ahead of where it used to be, it's incredible.  And it's great to see a Brit represented in a more authentic way as opposed to wearing a bowler hat and drinking tea.  He already has a connection with the crowd, done great work since he came in.

Offline Vegeta

• Is definitely a vegetable. All posts stink like sprouts.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #8872 on: March 15, 2024, 10:46:52 am »
Yeah, I'd say she was one of the very few I'd say "there is more for you in AEW than WWE".

She will have her work cut out, because we are well past the point where you can say Khan has served the division well and there is a paucity of talent there, but she is good enough, and stubborn enough, to make her case.

She will almost certainly be back in WWE, partly because she will have an eye on more film roles if nothing else.
I think the reason why AEW's women division is booked badly is because their women's talent absolutely sucks, it's hard to book a good women's division when you have like only 5 good women wrestlers and two of them have been off TV for a very long time.

WWE's women's division isn't even booked that well but they have a great depth of talent who can put on incredible matches

Signing Sasha can be a game changer for that division she's one of the best women's wrestlers of the 21st century and other talented women will want to join AEW so they can have a match with her
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 10:48:44 am by Vegeta »
150 IQ never wrong.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8873 on: March 15, 2024, 11:44:10 am »
I think the reason why AEW's women division is booked badly is because their women's talent absolutely sucks, it's hard to book a good women's division when you have like only 5 good women wrestlers and two of them have been off TV for a very long time.

WWE's women's division isn't even booked that well but they have a great depth of talent who can put on incredible matches

Signing Sasha can be a game changer for that division she's one of the best women's wrestlers of the 21st century and other talented women will want to join AEW so they can have a match with her

I think there's 2 big things along with Mercedes/Sasha - Pepperman coming with her as creative for the women, and Stardom partnership opening up.

That gives you better stories and bigger real talent pool to dip in to.

They need Baker and Hayter back, need Toni to find the right balance of wrestler and character (because she is a great wrestler but hasn't got that with Timeless yet), and need to bring Shida and Athena back into the fold as they are excellent.

If they really use a core roster of Mercedes, Hayter, Shida, Athena, Toni, Baker, Riho, Statlander and Willow, along with a few stardom appearances, that can be something close to Tony's original goal of the Women being his version of WCW Cruiserweights.

I do think they have something good in Julia Hart and Mariah May too, and Queen Aminata is still very early on but looks great for her experience (better striker than most western female wrestlers already)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8874 on: March 15, 2024, 11:47:13 am »
Yeah they have a nice variety of people who can legit work there.  Hayter is the one the scene is really missing right now, she was insanely over.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8875 on: March 15, 2024, 12:16:25 pm »
I think there's 2 big things along with Mercedes/Sasha - Pepperman coming with her as creative for the women, and Stardom partnership opening up.

That gives you better stories and bigger real talent pool to dip in to.

They need Baker and Hayter back, need Toni to find the right balance of wrestler and character (because she is a great wrestler but hasn't got that with Timeless yet), and need to bring Shida and Athena back into the fold as they are excellent.

If they really use a core roster of Mercedes, Hayter, Shida, Athena, Toni, Baker, Riho, Statlander and Willow, along with a few stardom appearances, that can be something close to Tony's original goal of the Women being his version of WCW Cruiserweights.

I do think they have something good in Julia Hart and Mariah May too, and Queen Aminata is still very early on but looks great for her experience (better striker than most western female wrestlers already)

That's very optimistic in my view.

Bischoff and WCW knew how to use the cruiserweights, gave them time, gave them overlapping programmes, mixed it up and featured a huge variety of talent who would go on to do great things in heavyweight divisions (often away from WCW).

It would be a stretch to say that most of the women mentioned are anything like ready to be those figures in the division. Some, like Riho and Baker, have actively gone backwards in their development.

Sasha could well be the catalyst but she is fighting against a broken system as much as anything here. 5 years into the revamped NXT, Sasha and Bayley were main eventing in a classic, 5 years of AEW and the women's division is worse than when it started. Hard to imagine that Tony Khan's general apathy towards it isn't a big cause of that.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8876 on: March 15, 2024, 01:40:05 pm »
That's very optimistic in my view.

Bischoff and WCW knew how to use the cruiserweights, gave them time, gave them overlapping programmes, mixed it up and featured a huge variety of talent who would go on to do great things in heavyweight divisions (often away from WCW).

It would be a stretch to say that most of the women mentioned are anything like ready to be those figures in the division. Some, like Riho and Baker, have actively gone backwards in their development.

Sasha could well be the catalyst but she is fighting against a broken system as much as anything here. 5 years into the revamped NXT, Sasha and Bayley were main eventing in a classic, 5 years of AEW and the women's division is worse than when it started. Hard to imagine that Tony Khan's general apathy towards it isn't a big cause of that.

I wouldn't say Riho has gone backwards, just for some reason not used.

I think a lot in that core list are good to excellent. I would class Athena as a female PAC in that they are somewhat understated of how good they actually are.

I think Shida, Hayter, Athena, and Mercedes is an absolutely class 4 pillars so to speak, in terms of in ring ability.

Also a part of it is overhauling the presentation, the amount of time and matches, using Stardom like the Cruiserweights used luchadors.

It isn't going to happen overnight but that was Tony's public goal for the division and I think between the good wrestlers in that division, and Stardom, they have tools of achieving that. Now they just have to use the new creative and a stomach for flipping the division to actually do it

Mercedes is a good start to have someone you can pin as the poster child of a new division and say "Pay attention to this now it matters" if they are bold enough to make the division actually matter

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8877 on: March 15, 2024, 04:03:05 pm »
I wouldn't say Riho has gone backwards, just for some reason not used.

I think a lot in that core list are good to excellent. I would class Athena as a female PAC in that they are somewhat understated of how good they actually are.

I think Shida, Hayter, Athena, and Mercedes is an absolutely class 4 pillars so to speak, in terms of in ring ability.

Also a part of it is overhauling the presentation, the amount of time and matches, using Stardom like the Cruiserweights used luchadors.

It isn't going to happen overnight but that was Tony's public goal for the division and I think between the good wrestlers in that division, and Stardom, they have tools of achieving that. Now they just have to use the new creative and a stomach for flipping the division to actually do it

Mercedes is a good start to have someone you can pin as the poster child of a new division and say "Pay attention to this now it matters" if they are bold enough to make the division actually matter

Well, I hope so, but the WCW Cruiserweight division was revolutionary. I just don't see a women's division in AEW reaching that, given the high bar they would need to clear (because WWE have already reached for the star with theirs) and an owner whose words haven't matched his actions with it.

We'll see, Mercedes can change the game.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8878 on: March 15, 2024, 04:06:11 pm »
We'll see, Mercedes can change the game.

Can she?  I think from a starpower view and her determination to put more focus on the women's division, sure.  But there are already women in AEW who are better at wrestling and level with her on the mic.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8879 on: March 15, 2024, 04:32:39 pm »
Can she?  I think from a starpower view and her determination to put more focus on the women's division, sure.  But there are already women in AEW who are better at wrestling and level with her on the mic.

We might have different definitions here, but who has her beat in ring and levels her on the mic?

But, even if I agreed with that, the star power is aspect is important. Because she isn't going to Tony Khan grateful.for the opportunity, she knows what she needs to do to get ahead. An Athena is fantastic but she might not fight her corner like the old Sasha Banks can.

That is what I mean more than in ring.