Author Topic: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)  (Read 453621 times)

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)
« Reply #8760 on: March 5, 2024, 08:39:57 am »
Seth Rollins should probably let The Rock stick to the name calling cos it really doesn't come natural to him.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8761 on: March 5, 2024, 09:16:01 am »
I think the big reason why they went over is Cash Wheeler may be going to prison (or at the very least may be unable to get a visa and this tour internationally to shows like All In or the upcoming Canada tour), on a gun charge. It is going to court soon, so they need to de-emphasize them, but they are still a top team so they can put people over.

I would also say it makes sense that Moxley and Claudio work as a team - in story they are stable mates, train together, have tagged together (mostly in 6 mans but still). I would say there is no reason for them to not work as a team

Yeah I'm not against it.  Keeps Mox away from the singles titles and lets Danielson continue his retirement tour without his stable mates.  They're doing a tag tournament for the belts, they might use them to put over another team (during the tournament or a match once Mox and Claudio win the belts and establish themselves as dominant champions) - the tag scene has kind of floundered a little with the trios stuff getting in the way.

The only thing is it's not obvious who could feasibly challenge them at the moment.  The Bucks maybe, but that's a weird match up, and after that, who is there?  The Gunns and Acclaimed have already held the belts and are stuck in trios matches, HoB are never at work, FTR probably taking a time out for the legal stuff, Starks and Bill probably going their separate ways or for singles titles, then you have the lower card tag teams like Private Party, who are way off that level.

I think we might see some new tag teams made for the tournament.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8762 on: March 5, 2024, 09:16:03 am »
Seth Rollins should probably let The Rock stick to the name calling cos it really doesn't come natural to him.

That was awful by Seth, he's better when he delivers an intense promo, like with Punk where he blurred the lines a bit. Against Rock though it just all sounded so basic. WWE going to the well too many times with these long talking segments.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8763 on: March 5, 2024, 09:59:07 am »
Yeah I'm not against it.  Keeps Mox away from the singles titles and lets Danielson continue his retirement tour without his stable mates.  They're doing a tag tournament for the belts, they might use them to put over another team (during the tournament or a match once Mox and Claudio win the belts and establish themselves as dominant champions) - the tag scene has kind of floundered a little with the trios stuff getting in the way.

The only thing is it's not obvious who could feasibly challenge them at the moment.  The Bucks maybe, but that's a weird match up, and after that, who is there?  The Gunns and Acclaimed have already held the belts and are stuck in trios matches, HoB are never at work, FTR probably taking a time out for the legal stuff, Starks and Bill probably going their separate ways or for singles titles, then you have the lower card tag teams like Private Party, who are way off that level.

I think we might see some new tag teams made for the tournament.

I would say there is potentially Hobbs and Takeshita but let's see how that stable works out with Ospreay maybe splitting it up.

Aussie Open

Private Party and Top Flight need a shove sooner or later

Best Friends

The Kingdom are an option

Eventually the Gunns have to be available again and they are actually getting good now.

I also feel we are sooner rather than later getting heel Copeland and Christian, and even before that there is the Patriarchy of Luchasaurus and Nick Wayne

Perhaps the two somoans from Mogul Embassy too, I know they are pretty high on them.

Certainly not the strongest division by any stretch, but if you give a few teams a decent push (or aggressive shove even) you can have some really good matches. But they do need to do a bit of rehabbing

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8764 on: March 5, 2024, 10:00:04 am »

He really should. He's gotten a lot better on the mic but that's The Rock's game. Seth should stick to his mission statement.

He's been put in a very difficult position, because, beyond his history with Roman (which they haven't emphasized enough), there is no reason for him to be helping Cody. Especially when he has a big, bad and dangerous Drew McIntyre coming for him.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8765 on: March 5, 2024, 10:02:49 am »
Also, which has gone under the radar, Minoru Suzuki has left NJPW. I expect him to be doing his own thing but I would be very much behind him having an extended unsigned run in AEW.

Maybe have him and Archer tagging. Or have him challenging for the Continental or International titles

I fucking love Suzuki  ;D

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8766 on: March 5, 2024, 11:30:35 am »
For anyone who missed Darby trying to kill himself:

https://twitter.com/DrainBamager/status/1764512924528435615

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #8767 on: March 5, 2024, 11:30:43 am »
I hope Chuck Taylor is fit soon because it's absolutely a good year to give Best Friends a short title run. Despite getting some high profile matches every so often I think they've had one shot, ever (against the Bucks in their first reign as talent filtered back from lockdowns). AEW missed the boat with Proud & Powerful, it's about time to recognise one of the few 'day 1' teams remaining.

If we take away FTR due to a possible incoming hiatus, then the actual tag teams available (as per a quick scan of the roster page) are:

Dark Order
Spanish Announce Project (Angelico/Serpentico)
The Acclaimed
The Gunns
Gates of Agony
Kings of the Black Throne (although HoB is a bit more fluid and Malakai might not be sticking around anyway)
Best Friends
Top Flight
The Righteous
Private Party
Aussie Open
The Kingdom
Young Bucks
Lucha Bros
Hardys (who aren't actually listed as a team on the roster page oddly enough)

If we include the RoH talent who can freely appear in AEW too we also get:

Iron Savages
The Infantry
The Workhorsemen
The Boys
Shane Taylor Promotions
The Outrunners (they don't appear on a roster page but get a lot of jobber spots and have a shirt on shopAEW so let's throw them into the mix here)

None of this includes established teams that for some reason don't have a name:

Butcher & Blade
Menard & Parker (who dropped 2.0 and never picked another, although seem to be very separate right now)
Edge & Christian (we all know it will happen)

Neither does it include a whole bunch of semi-established teams that they bring together more often than compete separately, such as Jay Lethal/Jeff Jarrett. Not crazy about all these guys floating about but at least with some of them there's an attempt to look like a team with their ring gear.

I just want tag team wrestling to be a proper thing with its own actual division, and not a place to park singles wrestlers or stablemates when they don't have anything more meaningful to do, especially if you're going to have them suddenly compete for the belts. I've also never been happy with the trios watering it all down either as most recognised trios tend to just be 'tag team plus one random mate' but that's another topic entirely!
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8768 on: March 5, 2024, 11:33:08 am »
Also, which has gone under the radar, Minoru Suzuki has left NJPW. I expect him to be doing his own thing but I would be very much behind him having an extended unsigned run in AEW.

Maybe have him and Archer tagging. Or have him challenging for the Continental or International titles

I fucking love Suzuki  ;D

Proper hard wrestler. Didn't realise he has an MMA win over Ken Shamrock no less.

I hope Chuck Taylor is fit soon because it's absolutely a good year to give Best Friends a short title run. Despite getting some high profile matches every so often I think they've had one shot, ever (against the Bucks in their first reign as talent filtered back from lockdowns). AEW missed the boat with Proud & Powerful, it's about time to recognise one of the few 'day 1' teams remaining.

If we take away FTR due to a possible incoming hiatus, then the actual tag teams available (as per a quick scan of the roster page) are:

Dark Order
Spanish Announce Project (Angelico/Serpentico)
The Acclaimed
The Gunns
Gates of Agony
Kings of the Black Throne (although HoB is a bit more fluid and Malakai might not be sticking around anyway)
Best Friends
Top Flight
The Righteous
Private Party
Aussie Open
The Kingdom
Young Bucks
Lucha Bros
Hardys (who aren't actually listed as a team on the roster page oddly enough)

If we include the RoH talent who can freely appear in AEW too we also get:

Iron Savages
The Infantry
The Workhorsemen
The Boys
Shane Taylor Promotions
The Outrunners (they don't appear on a roster page but get a lot of jobber spots and have a shirt on shopAEW so let's throw them into the mix here)

None of this includes established teams that for some reason don't have a name:

Butcher & Blade
Menard & Parker (who dropped 2.0 and never picked another, although seem to be very separate right now)
Edge & Christian (we all know it will happen)

Neither does it include a whole bunch of semi-established teams that they bring together more often than compete separately, such as Jay Lethal/Jeff Jarrett. Not crazy about all these guys floating about but at least with some of them there's an attempt to look like a team with their ring gear.

I just want tag team wrestling to be a proper thing with its own actual division, and not a place to park singles wrestlers or stablemates when they don't have anything more meaningful to do, especially if you're going to have them suddenly compete for the belts. I've also never been happy with the trios watering it all down either as most recognised trios tend to just be 'tag team plus one random mate' but that's another topic entirely!

Certainly a lot of talent there and I would trust AEW to get their division purring again before WWE does. They may have too many to work with there, but they can focus on a few and make it happen.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8769 on: March 5, 2024, 11:36:29 am »
I think the time has passed for Best Friends, and they got a huge moment at Wembley, which felt to me like it was the reward for being there from day one.  To be fair I completely forgot about Aussie Open, they'd be a great bet for it if Davis is back.

Think Fenix is probably way off, he was really struggling with injuries before he disappeared.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #8770 on: March 5, 2024, 12:42:51 pm »
That being said, what's everyone's Mount Rushmore? Mine is: The Rock, Stone Cold, Undertaker and Hulk Hogan.

Hulk Hogan
Steve Austin
The Rock

those 3 are non negotiable

4th place is wide open. i'll personally go with Flair. but it could very easily be Andre, Taker or Cena.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #8771 on: March 5, 2024, 12:47:24 pm »

Yeah that was terrible from Seth.

can't wait for the face to face on smackdown this friday  :lickin

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #8772 on: March 5, 2024, 12:57:59 pm »
This is the best way they could go at Mania imo

Night 1 - The Rock pins Cody Rhodes
Night 2  - Cody pins Roman Reigns

RAW after Mania - The Rock and the bloodline turn on Roman Reigns

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8773 on: March 5, 2024, 01:14:00 pm »
Proper hard wrestler. Didn't realise he has an MMA win over Ken Shamrock no less.

Certainly a lot of talent there and I would trust AEW to get their division purring again before WWE does. They may have too many to work with there, but they can focus on a few and make it happen.

Win is questionable to say the least - it was with PRIDE if I remember right, where it is unknown if it was work or shoot MMA (with a pretty strong lean towards work). But still you can see in how he works he is hard and knows what he is doing - you need to be trained to know how to do that shit without actually hurting people badly.

Absolutely love him honestly

Offline sambhi92

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Round the Fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #8774 on: March 5, 2024, 01:16:47 pm »
Of all time. I know people will have Austin or Taker as their GOAT's, and the kids of today will see Cena as their GOAT but for me, Rock had it all. Not the greatest in-ring but he could tell a captivating story and like mentioned above, I'd rather pay to see a story-teller and entertainer like Rock and Austin than a ring general like Bryan who has little charisma.

That being said, what's everyone's Mount Rushmore? Mine is: The Rock, Stone Cold, Undertaker and Hulk Hogan.

Austin, Rock, Undertaker and i know this is stupid but i'm gonna put Goldberg.

Those 4 reached a peak and fandom that i dont think has been seen every since. First 3 pretty obvious but Goldberg for me at the time was bigger than all those 3 in 98. His run was insane and just look at the crowd reactions during his matches
Round the Fields of Anfield Road

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8775 on: March 5, 2024, 01:17:40 pm »
I think the time has passed for Best Friends, and they got a huge moment at Wembley, which felt to me like it was the reward for being there from day one.  To be fair I completely forgot about Aussie Open, they'd be a great bet for it if Davis is back.

Think Fenix is probably way off, he was really struggling with injuries before he disappeared.

Lucha Bros/BCC would make a lot of sense too, given the recent history between Mox and Fenix (both pretty much getting hurt in the same match)

You could however do Death Triangle in a bit with PAC and Penta - although I want Singles PAC for a bit

One name not mentioned yet is La Faccion Ingobernables - RUSH has been away with visa shit, but I think they should give him a big push when back. They seem to be teasing LFI with Thunder Rosa right now, and with CMLL involved as well (and NJPW still) I think you can do a fair bit with LFI

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #8776 on: March 5, 2024, 01:19:31 pm »
Win is questionable to say the least - it was with PRIDE if I remember right, where it is unknown if it was work or shoot MMA (with a pretty strong lean towards work). But still you can see in how he works he is hard and knows what he is doing - you need to be trained to know how to do that shit without actually hurting people badly.

Absolutely love him honestly

Presumably tuning in to this?

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8777 on: March 5, 2024, 01:22:14 pm »
This is the best way they could go at Mania imo

Night 1 - The Rock pins Cody Rhodes
Night 2  - Cody pins Roman Reigns

RAW after Mania - The Rock and the bloodline turn on Roman Reigns

I do think Cody eats the pin on Night 1. Sets up the underdog story for Night 2 even more, and I don't think it helps anyone to have Seth be the one pinned (unless he's going over Drew the next night and I reckon McIntyre wins that one).

He's been put in a very difficult position, because, beyond his history with Roman (which they haven't emphasized enough), there is no reason for him to be helping Cody. Especially when he has a big, bad and dangerous Drew McIntyre coming for him.

Agree they need to play it up more. There was a Seth/Cody promo from a few weeks ago which leaned into it well, basically Rollins saying he created the monster Reigns became. This idea that in turning on his brother and breaking up the Shield, he accidentally set Reigns in motion towards becoming the Tribal Chief who demands fealty at all costs. It's a pretty cool way to make him feel uber invested in slaying the monster, even if it costs him his own title.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8778 on: March 5, 2024, 01:30:53 pm »
Presumably tuning in to this?

You know what, probably

I like both Suzuki and Maki Itoh for very different reasons, but also Suzuki is actually really great at comedy.

I remember he had a match in the empty arena Tokyo Dome for DDT where he blended seamlessly between Yakuza boss murderer and Dick Dastardly cartoon Villain and it was fucking awesome.

Then there's the Mecha Mummy matches which are just works if art.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8779 on: March 5, 2024, 01:32:18 pm »
What was the appeal with Andre? Before my time but from what I saw on Youtube, he was slow in the ring and didn't speak English so couldn't cut a promo. Was it just the period of time he was wrestling in, that no-one had ever seen anyone as massive as him?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8780 on: March 5, 2024, 01:41:09 pm »
What was the appeal with Andre? Before my time but from what I saw on Youtube, he was slow in the ring and didn't speak English so couldn't cut a promo. Was it just the period of time he was wrestling in, that no-one had ever seen anyone as massive as him?

He was big in the territory days, huge wrestler compared to everyone else and could work a bit too before the weight/injuries caught up with him.  Was a special attraction way before WWF was the beast it became under Vince, and his reputation carried over when he committed full time.

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8781 on: March 5, 2024, 02:37:05 pm »
He was big in the territory days, huge wrestler compared to everyone else and could work a bit too before the weight/injuries caught up with him.  Was a special attraction way before WWF was the beast it became under Vince, and his reputation carried over when he committed full time.

Found an old video of Andre recently, he was very athletic in the beginning before his health deteriorated. His final years just sounded so miserable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5d6mK5gAyQ

Reminded me of seeing Flair in his early days looking like an absolute tank and Iron Sheik looking like a cross between Lesnar and Angle. They look like different people compared to their inferior WWF days.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #8782 on: March 5, 2024, 02:38:37 pm »
The only thing I remember about the Iron Sheikh is him winning the gimmick battle royal at WrestleMania because his hips couldn't take being thrown over the top rope
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8783 on: March 5, 2024, 02:46:32 pm »
Reminded me of seeing Flair in his early days looking like an absolute tank

That one always gets me.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8784 on: March 5, 2024, 03:55:31 pm »
I do think Cody eats the pin on Night 1. Sets up the underdog story for Night 2 even more, and I don't think it helps anyone to have Seth be the one pinned (unless he's going over Drew the next night and I reckon McIntyre wins that one).

Agree they need to play it up more. There was a Seth/Cody promo from a few weeks ago which leaned into it well, basically Rollins saying he created the monster Reigns became. This idea that in turning on his brother and breaking up the Shield, he accidentally set Reigns in motion towards becoming the Tribal Chief who demands fealty at all costs. It's a pretty cool way to make him feel uber invested in slaying the monster, even if it costs him his own title.

I wonder about Cody eating the pin beforehand. If this whole thing was to make Reigns a huge babyface when he wins the title, I'm not sure it was all worth it (though they made a bunch of cash)

The Seth and Roman dynamic is interesting. Before their match, in their limited interactions, Rollins played up their SHIELD history whilst Roman wanted to move on from it. Rollins has gone shoot work about always feeling like the placeholder for Roman. He also got a win over Roman by DQ and really got into his head. They can lean in to it.

I have a question. What does everyone think about Roman Reigns?

I saw Cena put him on his Mount Rushmore, and it reminded me of Roman's initial push and how so many WWE legends would come out and talk about how great Roman was. His first NXT televised match, JR describes him as "having it". He's obviously a Vince project but Triple H picked Roman for the SHIELD over Chris Hero. Mox, ages after he leaves WWE, talks about Roman being the man people turn to.

They kept messing up (a face turn that they never quite hit the right note with, keeping him away from the title when he really could have won it) but there never was a more concerted effort to make someone the star than there was him. Hogan clicks pretty instantly, Austin rises steadily in WWE and then explodes, Rock gets there quickly, Cena bursts through after initial fumbles, but they got Roman wrong for over 5 years before they got it right.

What is it they saw? Because it was WWE legends coming out to bat for him too, when they really didn't need to.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8785 on: March 5, 2024, 04:00:57 pm »
One thing I will say which I find pretty funny - there's a few of HHH NXT boys in AEW who don't want to be there (Black, Buddy, Miro, MAYBE Keith Lee)

Then you look at someone like Andrade who had a forgotten middle of the rumble return and is now in 3 minute matches on Raw to polite applause, and not in the title picture.

It may all turn around but honestly I think a few of these guys should be careful what they want, because WWE is pretty stacked at the top, HHH isn't actually their dad, and they may find themselves lost in a midcard shuffle when they go back.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8786 on: March 5, 2024, 04:16:23 pm »
One thing I will say which I find pretty funny - there's a few of HHH NXT boys in AEW who don't want to be there (Black, Buddy, Miro, MAYBE Keith Lee)

Then you look at someone like Andrade who had a forgotten middle of the rumble return and is now in 3 minute matches on Raw to polite applause, and not in the title picture.

It may all turn around but honestly I think a few of these guys should be careful what they want, because WWE is pretty stacked at the top, HHH isn't actually their dad, and they may find themselves lost in a midcard shuffle when they go back.

It might well be that they just prefer WWE. That they might not like the atmosphere in what, until now, has not been as structured a place. Some have blossomed, Swerve, some didn't, Andrade.

Truthfully, they all have their limitations, I think you could make a case AEW could use Buddy better but Lee is recovering from nearly dying from COVID and may never be the force he was, Black apparently has lingering injury issues and Miro is very protective over his spot.

Truth is, all of these men had their best moments under Hunter, Triple H is less likely to discard them for a new wrestler as Tony Khan seems to have a new toy syndrome thing going on, and they are gonna be playing to bigger live crowds.

If I'm honest, I don't think they will be used any better in WWE, but I can definitely see why they may be making eyes there.

Online Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8787 on: March 5, 2024, 04:26:05 pm »
Almost had a RIP Darby Allin

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1764512682424569943?t=97agm1KX72pKjV0pIGlbrg&s=19

That's the most insanely stupid thing I've ever seen in wrestling. And I do not say that lightly.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8788 on: March 5, 2024, 05:03:45 pm »
It might well be that they just prefer WWE. That they might not like the atmosphere in what, until now, has not been as structured a place. Some have blossomed, Swerve, some didn't, Andrade.

Truthfully, they all have their limitations, I think you could make a case AEW could use Buddy better but Lee is recovering from nearly dying from COVID and may never be the force he was, Black apparently has lingering injury issues and Miro is very protective over his spot.

Truth is, all of these men had their best moments under Hunter, Triple H is less likely to discard them for a new wrestler as Tony Khan seems to have a new toy syndrome thing going on, and they are gonna be playing to bigger live crowds.

If I'm honest, I don't think they will be used any better in WWE, but I can definitely see why they may be making eyes there.

Yeah, I think there is a perception that all wrestlers would surely want to be in AEW because they can be the best versions of themselves and have more freedom. I remember when Owens and Zayn renewed in WWE and loads of people said it was just financially driven. But since that point, both have been used incredibly well - Owens has main evented Night 1 of Mania two years running and Zayn has done it once too.

I think the simple truth is that if you're not loving life in one company, you'll think you can do better elsewhere. Most wrestlers won't be particularly self reflective and will think it's someone else's fault that they haven't succeeded, rather than thinking what they could do differently. Finance probably does come into it too, I imagine most people moving between companies will be getting a salary bump to do so - that's the benefit of competition in the marketplace.

I agree that I struggle to see the likes of Aleister Black or Buddy Murphy making it big in WWE, but who knows (and they both have partners in WWE which is probably a major factor). But I also thought Cody Rhodes would fall back into being a midcarder when he jumped to WWE and was very, very wrong on that.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8789 on: March 5, 2024, 05:23:42 pm »

I think it some cases it is fair to want to go back, but the way they've gone about it is in many cases not great. Nevermind a lot of them angling for a move after signing new big contracts after their initial AEW deals because HHH made moves asking them to break out of them. That and the fact it seems pretty obvious a number of these guys saw it as a golden parachute and they are actually above it as a company.

Andrade frankly went about things disgracefully - making heat and then punching Sammy Guevara a week after Kingston got done for the same thing, just to get out his deal. And then after Tony probably incorrectly tried to integrate him into Collision and the C2, goes out on bad terms. Punk did some shit, but even his stuff didn't seem as overtly pre-determined as Andrade

Black is either legitimately hot a fucked back, or is got a Coutinho's bad back. What I would say is (and Brit wres Twitter rumours so massive pinch of salt) is he apparently had the reputation of being Tommy (Bell)End in his old Brit Indy days, and had a comparison akin to the old Dutch national team dressing rooms at major tournaments.

Keith Lee I honestly don't know, the timing around the Swerve match cancellation is suspect but may be completely legitimate as COVID fucked him badly.

Buddy hasn't done much, but then again I don't think he was really worth the signing - not good or big enough to be better than your own roster, would have been better in TNA and being a top guy there IMHO

And Miro is Miro - he doesn't get matches as he refuses to job to anyone not ex WWE.

And to be fair, for all these possible types, you get a Cody Rhodes, a Shawn Spears, a Jade Cargill (not an ex WWE but someone who jumped) - goes out properly with no animosity and generally everyone happy for everyone either way
« Last Edit: March 5, 2024, 05:27:19 pm by Stockholm Syndrome »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8790 on: March 5, 2024, 05:32:38 pm »
I'd be fine with AEW cutting any of Black, Murphy, Miro or Lee.  They're not really doing anything with them, for whatever reason, just mutual termination them.

I think he's brilliant in-ring, really crisp, but I wouldn't be surprised that Black has a high opinion of himself, judging by his past merch:

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8791 on: March 5, 2024, 07:33:24 pm »
I think it some cases it is fair to want to go back, but the way they've gone about it is in many cases not great. Nevermind a lot of them angling for a move after signing new big contracts after their initial AEW deals because HHH made moves asking them to break out of them. That and the fact it seems pretty obvious a number of these guys saw it as a golden parachute and they are actually above it as a company.

Andrade frankly went about things disgracefully - making heat and then punching Sammy Guevara a week after Kingston got done for the same thing, just to get out his deal. And then after Tony probably incorrectly tried to integrate him into Collision and the C2, goes out on bad terms. Punk did some shit, but even his stuff didn't seem as overtly pre-determined as Andrade

Black is either legitimately hot a fucked back, or is got a Coutinho's bad back. What I would say is (and Brit wres Twitter rumours so massive pinch of salt) is he apparently had the reputation of being Tommy (Bell)End in his old Brit Indy days, and had a comparison akin to the old Dutch national team dressing rooms at major tournaments.

Keith Lee I honestly don't know, the timing around the Swerve match cancellation is suspect but may be completely legitimate as COVID fucked him badly.

Buddy hasn't done much, but then again I don't think he was really worth the signing - not good or big enough to be better than your own roster, would have been better in TNA and being a top guy there IMHO

And Miro is Miro - he doesn't get matches as he refuses to job to anyone not ex WWE.

And to be fair, for all these possible types, you get a Cody Rhodes, a Shawn Spears, a Jade Cargill (not an ex WWE but someone who jumped) - goes out properly with no animosity and generally everyone happy for everyone either way

All brilliantly put, and I agree, but it's a different point really from the initial one. They may not be handling things well, they may not be being the most professional, but they may simply want to be in WWE rather than have dreams of being main event.

It might be that AEW managed and booked them all the best they can do, but I wouldn't say, given that none of them have done that much, that we know that for certain.

Claudio is, for me, the one the other side. He felt he would be booked better elsewhere, he took a risk on that, and I wouldn't say it has panned out. But he seems happier there and continues to do good work.

It is good wrestlers have choices and I think you'll see a bit more jostling between the two companies and more than a few wrestlers doing some dodgy stuff to get out of contracts.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8792 on: March 5, 2024, 08:24:25 pm »
Speaking of Sammy Guevara and Heat - he has been suspended for concussion Jeff Hardy and not following protocol in the match.

5 years in and no better than when he started, both in ring and on the promo

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8793 on: March 5, 2024, 08:37:53 pm »
That's the most insanely stupid thing I've ever seen in wrestling. And I do not say that lightly.

When did we all become so serious? I used to watch ECW and thought stuff looked really cool, never had the reaction like I do now of he's going to regret that in years to come. Maybe it's being around long enough to see the stars of the 90's who pulled off stunts being absolute trainwrecks or in a coffin (drop).

Online Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8794 on: March 5, 2024, 09:41:18 pm »
When did we all become so serious? I used to watch ECW and thought stuff looked really cool, never had the reaction like I do now of he's going to regret that in years to come. Maybe it's being around long enough to see the stars of the 90's who pulled off stunts being absolute trainwrecks or in a coffin (drop).

I dunno, man. I also used to watch old ECW, I was between 12 and 16 at the time, so there's definitely that. I also never saw someone go back first through two panes of glass and immediately bleed like that.

Also worked in the business for the best part of a decade as well so there's definitely a bit of that in my reaction as well as the not being 14 anymore.

Then again, working in the business also stopped me from watching wrestling altogether now, the industry definitey isn't for me anymore either way.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8795 on: March 5, 2024, 10:11:00 pm »
I dunno, man. I also used to watch old ECW, I was between 12 and 16 at the time, so there's definitely that. I also never saw someone go back first through two panes of glass and immediately bleed like that.

Also worked in the business for the best part of a decade as well so there's definitely a bit of that in my reaction as well as the not being 14 anymore.

Then again, working in the business also stopped me from watching wrestling altogether now, the industry definitey isn't for me anymore either way.

You used to work in the business? Cool, if you don't mind me asking what job did you have in it.

It is still a stupid move but a cool one, BUT it does appear at least to be sugar glass.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8796 on: March 6, 2024, 01:11:23 pm »
Jack Perry has joined House of Torture.

Darby though jumping 20 feet through glass would be more productive and enjoyable, and I can't say I would argue against him

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #8797 on: March 6, 2024, 02:20:31 pm »
You used to work in the business? Cool, if you don't mind me asking what job did you have in it.

It's probably Sheamus. :D

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8798 on: March 6, 2024, 02:21:30 pm »
Jack Perry has joined House of Torture.

Darby though jumping 20 feet through glass would be more productive and enjoyable, and I can't say I would argue against him

I've seen a few folks complaining about this move online, what's the problem with House of Torture (I don't really watch any New Japan these days)?

Offline Vegeta

• Is definitely a vegetable. All posts stink like sprouts.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #8799 on: March 6, 2024, 02:22:26 pm »
I find it funny that when a wrestler leaves AEW for WWE for creative frustrations that makes them evil but when a wrestler leaves WWE for AEW for the same reason The AEW fans don't talk about that instead they say good on them for leaving that evil organisation.

The reason why AEW hasn't been the success it could of been is that the owner and fan base are obsessed with WWE when they should ignore WWE and try to make AEW the best possible company it can be.

Whenever there is a 2nd wrestling company that is a competitor to WWE no matter who it is they always seem to be obsessed with WWE and mention them all the time on their shows, for once I just wish there was a wrestling company that paid no attention to what WWE does and doesn't bloat their roster with every ex WWE man or women they can sign.
« Last Edit: March 6, 2024, 02:29:38 pm by Vegeta »
150 IQ never wrong.