Author Topic: SLR Cameras - recommendations and advice  (Read 148006 times)

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: SLR Camera's
« Reply #320 on: November 3, 2009, 12:40:37 pm »
Alright guys - I've got a Canon SLR and the mrs fancies one for xmas.....the only problem being that she wants a smaller one that can fit in her bag haha.

I've basically decided that a 'bridging camera' would work on that account - any suggestions? I know they're nowhere near as good technically but I'm fairly confident she'd never work that out.

Have a look at  the G series type from Canon: http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/Digital%20Compact%20Cameras/products/Canon/Powershot%20G10-75388/Show.html - lets you download RAW images and has an optical viewfinder

"I believed them fellas."
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: November 3, 2009, 02:15:06 pm »
Do you have an slr camera?

Yep and a few lens but two lens and a flash have been nikced and insurance wont pay out coz I dont reciepts (gifts) and cant find the fucking manuals. Saying that does anyone have manuals they can spare for the following:

Canon EF 70-300 F/4-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF-S 60MM F/2.8 Macro USM
Canon 580EX II TTL Shoe Mount Speedlite

Left with a 400D and lens kit which im gutted about.

Offline El Phes

• Answers to Judith, but only on Thurdays.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Portraits / Weddings / Commercial / Events
« Reply #322 on: November 3, 2009, 03:41:12 pm »
Yep and a few lens but two lens and a flash have been nikced and insurance wont pay out coz I dont reciepts (gifts) and cant find the fucking manuals. Saying that does anyone have manuals they can spare for the following:

Canon EF 70-300 F/4-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF-S 60MM F/2.8 Macro USM
Canon 580EX II TTL Shoe Mount Speedlite

Left with a 400D and lens kit which im gutted about.

I think I have that top lens (altho I didn't think it was usm?) + I know I have a speedlite, but don't think it's a 580. Can you borrow my manual and say you thought it was a 580....your mistake etc etc? I know I have the boxes for both it that might help? I'll have a look this week (bit busy tonight and Weds)

If you have an slr, you can find the infinity mark on any lens. It's a number '8' on it's side, effectively, part of the focus which is the widest, if that makes sense? That's how I understand it anyhow. Take lens off auto focus and then turn the focus round until the infinity mark is being pointed at. Should capture and focus most of your fireworks then.

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: November 3, 2009, 05:34:30 pm »
Hello guys,

I've read a few times people say "focus on infinity", Is that so your not out of focus when snapping something like fireworks or something in the distance , and how do you do that setting?
It depends on your camera. If you have a compact, it's likely not possible. If you have an SLR, select manual focus, figure out which way to turn the lens to focus on things further away, then turn the focus ring as far as it will go in that direction. Don't forget to turn AF back on afterwards!
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
  • what chu talkin' bout willis?
« Reply #324 on: November 3, 2009, 06:00:10 pm »
lookin to buy something cheap second hand off ebay was lookin at the fuji finepix SLR's
(maybe the FinePix S1000) on ebay they worth buying?

« Last Edit: November 3, 2009, 06:15:39 pm by LOKKO »

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: November 3, 2009, 06:11:06 pm »
I think I have that top lens (altho I didn't think it was usm?) + I know I have a speedlite, but don't think it's a 580. Can you borrow my manual and say you thought it was a 580....your mistake etc etc? I know I have the boxes for both it that might help? I'll have a look this week (bit busy tonight and Weds)

Thanks El, it might help me. Might look like I'll miss out on about a grands worth of insurance.
If you have an slr, you can find the infinity mark on any lens. It's a number '8' on it's side, effectively, part of the focus which is the widest, if that makes sense? That's how I understand it anyhow. Take lens off auto focus and then turn the focus round until the infinity mark is being pointed at. Should capture and focus most of your fireworks then.

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: November 4, 2009, 09:53:21 am »
Don't forget to turn AF back on afterwards!

I'm not 100%, but I have a feeling that would defeat the object. If you turn AF back on, it's going to want to try to focus on a subject again, no?

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: November 4, 2009, 12:52:25 pm »
I'm not 100%, but I have a feeling that would defeat the object. If you turn AF back on, it's going to want to try to focus on a subject again, no?

Are you fishing?  I presume he meant after you've photographed what ever they were planning to shoot with infinity focus!
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: November 4, 2009, 02:12:00 pm »
Are you fishing?  I presume he meant after you've photographed what ever they were planning to shoot with infinity focus!

:duh no I was genuine, but didn't read it that way! I see what he means now...

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: December 30, 2009, 05:17:54 pm »
Upgrading to the new 7D soon, can't wait, the reviews are very good.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: December 31, 2009, 07:00:25 pm »
Got a Nikon D60 for Xmas and lovin it.

Mainly on auto at the mo, but have been having a play with the SS/Aperture and ISO settings. Starting to get some resuls with DOF which is something I'd never even heard of a month ago.

Downloaded a great program that you run from scripts in PShop. It resizes to 800 pixels, reduces file size (selectable), applies a selectable border, and puts your name/moniker etc in the border. Ideal for posting on the tinternet. Also allows watermarking and copyrighting. And free.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: January 4, 2010, 10:44:28 am »
Downloaded a great program that you run from scripts in PShop. It resizes to 800 pixels, reduces file size (selectable), applies a selectable border, and puts your name/moniker etc in the border. Ideal for posting on the tinternet. Also allows watermarking and copyrighting. And free.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your new camera.

What's that free package you mention above + it needs to 'run' with photoshop right?

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: January 4, 2010, 09:02:50 pm »
Glad to hear you're enjoying your new camera.

What's that free package you mention above + it needs to 'run' with photoshop right?

yeah, runs only with CS2,3 and 4 (although its being ested on Elements now). Its one from a forum I'm on. I have the zip for it if you want.

Just install into the scrips folder in PShop, restart, and then its a selectable option in scripts.

You specify an input folder/output folder, can add a watermark, a signature from a png file, and vary the size/quality of the output file (jpg). you can also edit the scrips directly to change whatever you want. You can batch folders to be done. Choose your framing width/colours etc.

in fact here's one I done earlier...only takes about 10 secs.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: January 4, 2010, 09:21:03 pm »
Does the watermark size change with the ratio of the image?

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: January 4, 2010, 10:29:59 pm »
For Christmas I got my Da a Sigma 10-20 lens, he's getting some absolutely brilliant photos with it.

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: January 4, 2010, 10:35:16 pm »
I've got that lens Paul, it's excellent. Have you got a link with your Dad's photos?

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: January 4, 2010, 11:24:56 pm »
I've got that lens Paul, it's excellent. Have you got a link with your Dad's photos?
Hello Alex, here's my Dads site, click this link = http://photo57.co.uk/

Offline blert596

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: January 5, 2010, 03:57:13 pm »
Does the watermark size change with the ratio of the image?

Dunno mate. I just put a watermark on one pic for a trial run to see what it looked like. It places whatever text you supply diagonally across the middle of the screen. I dont see me needing to stop people nicking my images for profit really :-).

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: January 5, 2010, 04:45:53 pm »
I have the zip for it if you want.

Zip for it would be good cheers mate. I'll PM you

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #339 on: January 5, 2010, 06:00:38 pm »
Hello Alex, here's my Dads site, click this link = http://photo57.co.uk/

Some nice photos in there Paul. Very nice indeed.

Just got myself a Nikon D90 for Christmas, with the kit lens (18-200mm)

After a long lay off, I used to use a Canon F1, I'm just getting back into photography again.

Sites like your dads give me inspiration.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: January 5, 2010, 11:20:04 pm »
Some nice photos in there Paul. Very nice indeed.

Just got myself a Nikon D90 for Christmas, with the kit lens (18-200mm)

After a long lay off, I used to use a Canon F1, I'm just getting back into photography again.

Sites like your dads give me inspiration.
Hiya mate,

Thanks very much, I will pass your message on.

Before he went digital my Da had a Canon 1000fn.  2 years ago he got a Canon 350D and just a couple of months ago (October) traded that one in and got a Canon 450D.

The Nikon D90 is a great camera, is there any specific reason why you went from Canon to Nikon, I thought most people were extremely loyal to either one or the other.

You might be interested in this site, my Dad has sold loads of photographs here = http://www.redbubble.com/

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #341 on: January 6, 2010, 02:15:55 pm »
Hiya mate,

Thanks very much, I will pass your message on.

Before he went digital my Da had a Canon 1000fn.  2 years ago he got a Canon 350D and just a couple of months ago (October) traded that one in and got a Canon 450D.
Well, you tell him he's got the eye for composition. Having an interesting city like Newcastle helps too but you still need the eye.

The Nikon D90 is a great camera, is there any specific reason why you went from Canon to Nikon, I thought most people were extremely loyal to either one or the other.

You might be interested in this site, my Dad has sold loads of photographs here = http://www.redbubble.com/
Thanks. I'll have a look at that site.

There was no specific reason for changing from Canon.
I think you are right about people being loyal to their preference. For me though it was probably the big gap between my interest then and now. I never felt any loyalty although I did look at some Canons before finally deciding.

The digital age was a God sent for amateur photographers though, the cost of film development along with the amount of time needed to do it well were the reasons I stopped. Now, although still expensive for the outlay, it is so much more comfortable and results can be modified to suit requirements.
It may be a case of dumbing down in some people's eyes but for me it was one of the best improvements in photography ever.

Offline NatD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: February 7, 2010, 06:46:16 am »
Hi all. I am after some advice.

Basically, I have had a 450D for about 2 1/2 years now, and was on holiday in Dubai last week where my 18-55mm Kit Lens broke....! It won't now auto focus, and even on manual couldn't focus on anything, so I think it's gone to camera heaven,

I guess it's not worth getting fixed (??) so I am on the look out for a new lens.

I already have a 50mm and as EFS55-250mm (which I just don't use, is practically new and would welcome offers for??) so am looking to replace my kit lens with something a little bigger.

I haven't set a price limit on what I want (although I can't really justify spending £1000 at the moment) and have came across the following lenses all either + / - £500: -

- Canon EF-S 15-85mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM
- Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM (this is probably above what I can afford at £950 but looks a fab lens!).
- Canon EF 24-105mm f4L IS USM
- Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-f/5.6 IS USM

I shoot anything from portraits, to landscapes, people and animals so am after a versatile lens. I also have a shaky hand so maybe IS is a must? But the best shots I have taken have been with the nifty fifty!

I was just wondering if any of you guys had experience with the above lenses, or could recommend something else for me?

The next lens I will purchase will take over as my main lens, so I want to get it right,

Also, would if be worth looking at Sigma / Tamron? I am a little bit of a label snob, but again any thoughts on experience with similar canon fit lenses would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: February 7, 2010, 01:17:50 pm »
Can't comment on the paticular lenses but I have a few sigma lenses which are brilliant and I can't always justify paying a lot, lot more for the same spec lens that has the canon label and is slightly better quality.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: February 8, 2010, 12:56:51 am »
Nat
What honestly is the largest size you're gonna blow your photos up to? Cos to be honest, there's not going to be that much difference between the lens' even the sigma ones. I have a 105mm fixed Macro Sigma lens and its the nicest out my kit. That said, I used an old Minolta 4mp digital camera, like 9 years ago and blew a close up of a poppy flower to 50cm by 50cm canvas and it looks amazing, so your choice of lens at those levels isn't gonna make that much difference on quality. But given the 1.5 multiplication of your Canon sensor, I'd try and get the widest angle you can if you do a lot of landscapes, so that'd be the 15mm one, but if you really do a lot of variety, get the 24-105mm and enjoy it.
Yep.

Offline NatD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: February 8, 2010, 06:13:27 am »
Thanks for coming back guys.

Hinsey, at the moment, to be fair, I am not printing or blowing up any of my images, mostly just viewing them on the monitor.

Am tempted now to look at a Sigma as well as Canon (and even possible Tamron!).  Will let you know how I get on.....!

Offline MolbysBigBelly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #346 on: February 8, 2010, 01:21:18 pm »
40D user meself and have the 17-18 kit lens that came with it.

The wider 15mm to longish 85mm would be the way to go for a main lens.  Portraits, group shots, landscapes, street photography, etc would all be just about possible with the x1.6 cropped sensor.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2010, 01:24:27 pm by MolbysBigBelly »
"I believed them fellas."
Thank you, Mr. Moores.

Offline NatD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: February 17, 2010, 07:22:25 pm »
Well, in the end I opted for the EF-S 17-55mm f2.8.

I'm a sucker for Bokeh, and the price difference between this and the 15-85mm wasn't that much, so I thought damn the world!  Hope to have it by the weekend!

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: February 17, 2010, 09:15:59 pm »
I'm looking to get the Sigma 24-70mm F2.8, expensive though

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: February 18, 2010, 11:09:44 am »
Well, in the end I opted for the EF-S 17-55mm f2.8.

That wasn't even on your list!

Offline NatD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: February 18, 2010, 01:49:19 pm »
That wasn't even on your list!

lol - I realised that when I came in to post!!  I did a bit of digging around and on POTN and that lens kept on coming up!  What do you think of it?

Offline Walshy7

• metete un palo por el culo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #351 on: February 18, 2010, 03:19:00 pm »
This is gonna sound thick, what is the poinbt in different lenses? to zoom in further?
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #352 on: February 18, 2010, 03:27:27 pm »
I have the canon EOS450D. I use a Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS Lens. Its a good alround general lens.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-sigma-18-200mm-f3-5-6-3-dc-os-lens-canon-fit/p1017943
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline Walshy7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #353 on: February 18, 2010, 04:04:30 pm »
Ok, some tips please chaps, I have a 400D but am a bit of a novice, I think i take a good pic but its more the subject being unaware rather than my expertise. A few questions:

Why when i crop a picture on kodak for example do i lose picture quality, is there a way of this not happening?

All I have is a 58mm zoom lens, is there anything else i should get to really get serious, or is that all i really need? Not looking to spend rakes of dough at present

Can anyone point me in the direction of the best editing software, and how do i do these b+w pics with one colour object in them? is this possible on editing software?
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

Offline blert596

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: February 18, 2010, 07:14:23 pm »
Walshy, your zoom lens will have a range from x - y. This is the focal length (I think). But all you need to think of it is as a way of getting closer to the subject without having to move - and getting a smaller amount of the scene in your final pic.

As for the lack of quality then theres a myriad of things it could be. Usually too high an ISO is an easy mistake (I took a load at the weekend at ISO 3200 by mistake). Never even occured to me when I changed the shutter speeds to get a decent exposure  that at 4000 I might have overlooked something. bell. Check youre saving the pics as RAW files or High quality Large Jpegs (or both)

Photoshop will do all the stuff. Have a look in the photoshop thread and someone will do a tutorial. Basically its duplicate the original, set to black and white, choose the history brush and paint over he bits you want the colour back. Thats it really.

Offline NCrawley

• Kopite
« Reply #355 on: February 18, 2010, 07:19:37 pm »
Anyone got the Nikon D5000? What are your opinions? I ordered one with a Tamron 70-300mm lens and it came today but not going to have chance to play with it until saturday grr!

Offline toshi

• Kopite
  • Respect
« Reply #356 on: February 19, 2010, 08:36:40 am »
after  i sold my nikkor AF-S 35mm/ f1.8 G 

Tamron 17-50mm /f2.8 is in my wish list, i use Nikon D40 btw....so that's limit my options for lenses (AF-S only or built in motor)

CJ        : "Morton, this is President Bartlett"
Bartlett : "Hey Morton"
Morton (stunned) : "WOW"
Bartlett  : "Well Said"

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: February 19, 2010, 10:34:26 am »
lol - I realised that when I came in to post!!  I did a bit of digging around and on POTN and that lens kept on coming up!  What do you think of it?

It's a great lens if you have the money! L series glass if I'm not mistaken, with IS and f2.8, so pretty cool!

This is gonna sound thick, what is the poinbt in different lenses? to zoom in further?

Really depends what you want to do with your pictures mate. There's Prime Lenses, Fisheye lenses, Macro lenses, Telephoto (Zoom) lenses, Wide Angle lenses etc etc, all doing different things to get the right picture for you. You prob need to go away and read up about these lenses, or let us know what you're interested in taking pictures of and we'll suggest a lens that would be best for you.

Ok, some tips please chaps, I have a 400D but am a bit of a novice, I think i take a good pic but its more the subject being unaware rather than my expertise. A few questions:

Why when i crop a picture on kodak for example do i lose picture quality, is there a way of this not happening?

All I have is a 58mm zoom lens, is there anything else i should get to really get serious, or is that all i really need? Not looking to spend rakes of dough at present

Can anyone point me in the direction of the best editing software, and how do i do these b+w pics with one colour object in them? is this possible on editing software?

As blert said, you need to check your ISO setting. Remember ASA for film cameras? 100ASA for bright sunshine, 200ASA for everyday capturing, 400ASA for fast or low light pictures (indoors)....its the same for ISO. 100 for crisp clear pics in well lit conditions......3200ISO to enable you to take pics in low light conditions (will prob give you 'film grain' on the pics, so not very crisp)

Instead of cropping loads, why don't you learn how to compose the right picture in the 1st place using the camera and not in your post processing? Get this right and it will save you a lot of time cropping all the time (and losing 'information' in your picture file) A great way to do this would be to buy a prime lens and there's a VERY cheap, but VERY good 1 for you....Canon 50MM f1.8, about £75 brand new, but 2nd hand one's should be ok if you can 'hold the lens' before buying. That will get 'you' moving rather than zooming in / out.

Best software will prob be Photoshop, but you could go for Photoshop Elements which is for home use. Maybe have a look at Picasa (google it) 1st, that's not a bad package and it's FREE to download.

hope some of this helps?

Offline Walshy7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #358 on: February 19, 2010, 02:33:32 pm »
It's a great lens if you have the money! L series glass if I'm not mistaken, with IS and f2.8, so pretty cool!

Really depends what you want to do with your pictures mate. There's Prime Lenses, Fisheye lenses, Macro lenses, Telephoto (Zoom) lenses, Wide Angle lenses etc etc, all doing different things to get the right picture for you. You prob need to go away and read up about these lenses, or let us know what you're interested in taking pictures of and we'll suggest a lens that would be best for you.

As blert said, you need to check your ISO setting. Remember ASA for film cameras? 100ASA for bright sunshine, 200ASA for everyday capturing, 400ASA for fast or low light pictures (indoors)....its the same for ISO. 100 for crisp clear pics in well lit conditions......3200ISO to enable you to take pics in low light conditions (will prob give you 'film grain' on the pics, so not very crisp)

Instead of cropping loads, why don't you learn how to compose the right picture in the 1st place using the camera and not in your post processing? Get this right and it will save you a lot of time cropping all the time (and losing 'information' in your picture file) A great way to do this would be to buy a prime lens and there's a VERY cheap, but VERY good 1 for you....Canon 50MM f1.8, about £75 brand new, but 2nd hand one's should be ok if you can 'hold the lens' before buying. That will get 'you' moving rather than zooming in / out.

Best software will prob be Photoshop, but you could go for Photoshop Elements which is for home use. Maybe have a look at Picasa (google it) 1st, that's not a bad package and it's FREE to download.

hope some of this helps?
Mate, thats great advice, thanks very much, I will look in to these 'iso settings', i havent been paying much attention to different settings!!

Thanks a lot

Offline blert596

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: February 19, 2010, 03:00:49 pm »
Mate, thats great advice, thanks very much, I will look in to these 'iso settings', i havent been paying much attention to different settings!!

Thanks a lot

Oh aye. Something wrong with my advice was there?   :'(

:)