Author Topic: Nat Phillips  (Read 237240 times)

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
Re: Nat Phillips
« Reply #320 on: January 29, 2021, 02:19:38 pm »
Agreed,
He's basically the reincarnation of Carra.

Some will be happy.

Let's just hope he doesn't go into punditry when he retires.

I actually thought of Carra as I was typing that, but didn't want to draw that comparison for obvious reasons...but know what you mean

Carra was one of my favourite LFC players btw and actually started off as a semi decent pundit, nowadays however he's just Sky's bitch
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline SteveLFC

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #321 on: January 29, 2021, 02:22:25 pm »
I actually thought of Carra as I was typing that, but didn't want to draw that comparison for obvious reasons...but know what you mean

Carra was one of my favourite LFC players btw and actually started off as a semi decent pundit, nowadays however he's just Sky's bitch

Carra is alright, he gets a lot of bad press for being a sky bitch, but its his job. He was a great servant and yes, Nat is  from the same stable.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #322 on: January 29, 2021, 02:32:37 pm »
Carra is alright, he gets a lot of bad press for being a sky bitch, but its his job. He was a great servant and yes, Nat is  from the same stable.

He did his job a lot more effectively before the spitting incident and used to be quite informative.

Post Spitgate I find him overly corporate, his defence of tiny arms for his assault on VVD was a ludicrous attempt to show how impartial he is
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #323 on: January 29, 2021, 02:33:38 pm »
If I was going to compare Phillips to anyone from Carra's era then I think Soto or Pellegrino are a much better shout.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #324 on: January 29, 2021, 02:40:37 pm »
Same here mate, his game may be limited but some of the stuff being said about him being championship level at best and having a nightmare against Newcastle are pure hyperbole.

I don't think it's fair to say he's Championship level, but he's inexperienced. He's played 20 games of first team football before this season and that was in the German second division (added to the FA Cup game he came back for). Ideally he'd have gone off to Swansea or somewhere and played 40 games for them this season and then perhaps helped them win promotion and played for them in the PL.

Letting a player get to 22 before playing any first team football is far from ideal.

The Carragher comparison is an interesting one, as there is some playing similarities and similar strengths and deficiencies. The difference is the role of the defender has changed a lot in 20 years, at least at the top level. By 22 though Carragher has played 100+ first team games for Liverpool. That's a lot of experience that Phillips hasn't had.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #325 on: January 29, 2021, 02:43:39 pm »
Carra had more pace than Philips imo. Not loads more, but he def had more. Think Philips is probably better in the air though.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: January 29, 2021, 08:04:14 pm »
Strange that people focus on his pace and use this to berate him. Williams looks much slower to me.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #327 on: January 29, 2021, 08:35:52 pm »
Strange that people focus on his pace and use this to berate him. Williams looks much slower to me.

I don't think there is much in it pace wise. Phillips being more experienced probably just reads the game a bit better.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #328 on: January 29, 2021, 08:44:21 pm »

I mean why mention Williams at all? He's slow regardless of if someone else is fast or not.

And for the record, they're both pretty slow.

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #329 on: January 29, 2021, 09:36:33 pm »
be interesting to see how many games philips has played and how many goals we've conceded in them games

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #330 on: January 30, 2021, 12:14:37 am »
be interesting to see how many games philips has played and how many goals we've conceded in them games

He's played four and a half games

Everton  Won 1-0
West Ham   Won 2-1
Brighton     Drew 1-1
Newcastle Drew 0-0
Spurs  Won 3-1, came on a 1-0 at 45 minutes

Famous last words but has never lost a game and has played in two extremely important victories

(Kids v Everton, re-born against Spurs)

He reads the game well and concentrates which he probably needs to given his style and relative lack of experience
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #331 on: January 30, 2021, 12:27:20 am »
A good old fashioned centre back. In my opinion, this is exactly what we need right now. What he may or may not lack in pace, it is so refreshing to see our CB win challenges in the box and not get brushed off. I don't care if the ball hits row Z more than when VVD or Gomez are playing, it will more than do us for now.

He needs to build up a partnership with a hopefully fit Matip or Fab. Give him some game time and get Hendo back to the number 6 role.

The issue is that smacking it long every time upsets the rhythm of this team. But I agree he is capable at the traditional CB role. The thing he needs to do is pass it to one of his team mates as soon as is possible if he finds himself with the ball at his feet.

I could be wrong, but it also seemed like the team were missing Nate out when they were knocking it around at the back as well. As cruel as this sounds, its not a bad option if he plays. Let him do the dirty work, but keep him off the ball.

It's the same as Williams. They boys are doing a decent job really. They shouldn't have been catapulted into the limelight like this, but they are making a fist of it. Neither of them have had what you'd say was a complete shocker, but they just aren't at the level we need.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a Ł1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #332 on: January 30, 2021, 12:33:54 am »
The issue is that smacking it long every time upsets the rhythm of this team. But I agree he is capable at the traditional CB role. The thing he needs to do is pass it to one of his team mates as soon as is possible if he finds himself with the ball at his feet.

I could be wrong, but it also seemed like the team were missing Nate out when they were knocking it around at the back as well. As cruel as this sounds, its not a bad option if he plays. Let him do the dirty work, but keep him off the ball.

It's the same as Williams. They boys are doing a decent job really. They shouldn't have been catapulted into the limelight like this, but they are making a fist of it. Neither of them have had what you'd say was a complete shocker, but they just aren't at the level we need.

Which he and Williams have been doing in the main, you can see other players minimise the number of times they are involved in passing and Nat usually plays dead safe, he hoofed a couple of time last night but I had no problem with that, they were pushing up and leaving gaps and Spurs are a poor team building from the back. He was probably under instructions because he has not done that before.

We have West Ham and Brighton coming up, he has a role to play against those two.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: January 30, 2021, 12:34:33 am »
Agreed,
He's basically the reincarnation of Carra.

Some will be happy.

Let's just hope he doesn't go into punditry when he retires.

The underrating of Carra on here is shocking, Carra became one of the best cbs in the world, at the same age he was playing DM for England. He was far better on the ball, a bit much quicker and an all round more complete defender.

Offline daveonthespionkop1900

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #334 on: January 30, 2021, 07:58:17 am »
Philips needs to start against West Ham no question
walk on...walk on...

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: January 30, 2021, 11:05:45 am »
Philips needs to start against West Ham no question

I'd have no problem with him starting alongside Henderson against West ham and Brighton if needed, hopefully Matip may be back for the City game or we may have brought someone in with a bit of pace who has had a few training sessions with the team by then. Important thing for me now is that we try to get Fab back in the midfield and if needs be use Hendo as centre back.
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #336 on: January 30, 2021, 11:21:09 am »
The underrating of Carra on here is shocking, Carra became one of the best cbs in the world, at the same age he was playing DM for England. He was far better on the ball, a bit much quicker and an all round more complete defender.

Honestly it’s eye bleedingly bad stuff
Comparing one of the appearance leaders in modern lfc history to a lad whose played a handful of times, hasn’t looked good when he has and has had midfielders picked ahead of him
Genuinely don’t understand the view of Carragher - is it people who didn’t actually watch him? Or just fashionable not to rate him because he’s unbearable on the telly ....
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 12:08:31 pm by JackWard33 »

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: January 30, 2021, 11:53:25 am »
Nat is an 'honest pro', the subriquet given to journeymen players. Nothing wrong in that as he will make a career in football, but playing for one of the best teams in the world is not something he has in his locker and at 23 he was probably resigned to it never happening. The good thing for us is that he seems to know his own limitations and tries to play within them, although it must be extra hard for the lad being partnered with a midfield player learning on the job. It's not unfair to say that if he was playing against us our attackers would be licking their lips, assuming of course that we weren't pumping in cross after cross. Good luck to him and if he does well a chance to impress and get another club in the future.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: January 30, 2021, 12:43:32 pm »
Comparing one of the appearance leaders in modern lfc history to a lad whose played a handful of times, hasn’t looked good when he has and has had midfielders picked ahead of him
Genuinely don’t understand the view of Carragher - is it people who didn’t actually watch him? Or just fashionable not to rate him because he’s unbearable on the telly ....

Carragher hasn't done himself any favours by shilling SKY's common anti-liverpool agenda and so there is now a fair bit of revisionism taking place. He was far better than Phillips is but he is tarnishing his rep with the fan base almost every time he opens his gob commentating on us now.
Ironically it was him opening his gob on the motorway that led to this conversion.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #339 on: January 30, 2021, 12:45:35 pm »
Carragher hasn't done himself any favours by shilling SKY's common anti-liverpool agenda and so there is now a fair bit of revisionism taking place. He was far better than Phillips is but he is tarnishing his rep with the fan base almost every time he opens his gob commentating on us now.
Ironically it was him opening his gob on the motorway that led to this conversion.

Can’t stand him on tv... completely irrelevant to how good he was as a player

Offline BeingJohnMarkovic

• Anny Roader
  • Its All In The Game
« Reply #340 on: January 30, 2021, 11:23:05 pm »
Considering the personnel we have available, Phillips surely has to start v West Ham. He's not great on the ball but he defends pretty well - great in the air, which is always useful against the Hammers.
It ain't what you takin', it's who you takin' from, ya feel me? How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

Offline slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: January 31, 2021, 12:05:30 am »
Im worried for the lad going up against Antonio because Phillips while obviously lacking a yard a pace, he also while good in the air is physically not very strong. It was so clear to see when Callum Wilson just pulled on to him in the Newcastle game and just backed in to him and held the ball up with ease and was rolling him easily when Phillips got tight.

Now Wilson is a strong player but Antonio is physically on a different level to maybe any striker in the league and games like this are were we really miss the big man because he deals with Antonio without breaking sweat. I do like Phillips against West Ham's threat from set pieces but if we are to win against the hammers we have to really contain Antonio which means we cant let him get isolated against Nat.

Offline Naby Lad

• Kopite
« Reply #342 on: January 31, 2021, 10:11:46 am »
Massive game today for him. We all know he isn’t a top level CB. However the single aspect of his game which is pretty high is his heading ability. Today that needs to come to the fore.

Soucek is a monster in the air. It’s on Nat today to fight him and come out on top. Time to shine, Nat.
Champions

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #343 on: January 31, 2021, 11:32:40 am »
For all those condescending posts here about "he's a limited CB, but not bad aerially" etc, I just love it if Nat absolutely dominates the game today and plants a couple of bullet headers into the top of the net off corners today.
As a bonus, flattens Noble in the buildup.

Its all about confidence.  Hope he channels his inner Sami today!
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline Naby Lad

• Kopite
« Reply #344 on: January 31, 2021, 11:36:54 am »
For all those condescending posts here about "he's a limited CB, but not bad aerially" etc, I just love it if Nat absolutely dominates the game today and plants a couple of bullet headers into the top of the net off corners today.

Yeah... everyone hopes that.

Nat is a limited CB who is good in the air. How is it condescending to literally acknowledge reality? There is a reason he was a sub in the Bundesliga 2, and was on the brink of moving to the Championship in the summer.
Champions

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #345 on: January 31, 2021, 11:50:44 am »

Confidence won't make him run any quicker when a player pushes the ball past him. As for Sami he was brilliant but would struggle in our system. You either need to be quick or have flawless decision-making because every slight positional mistake becomes irretrievable when you don't have pace and there is no cover.   
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: January 31, 2021, 01:44:26 pm »
Confidence won't make him run any quicker when a player pushes the ball past him. As for Sami he was brilliant but would struggle in our system. You either need to be quick or have flawless decision-making because every slight positional mistake becomes irretrievable when you don't have pace and there is no cover.   

Agree with most of that - although I’d suggest “flawless decision-making” would be Sami to a tee.

As for Phillips - he’s clearly not of our standard but he’s all we’ve got so fingers crossed he performs well today, can’t think of any examples of him letting us down in the brief times he’s played for us.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #347 on: January 31, 2021, 01:47:13 pm »

Yup, plus Sami got done plenty of times even with our much deeper line and with his excellent decision making.

Ultimately there is likely no training Philip's weaknesses to fit the system we play, even if you increased his pace slightly he's just still not going to be fast enough to fit in there. It's a shame, but he'll have a good career somewhere I think as he has plenty of great attributes.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #348 on: January 31, 2021, 01:48:25 pm »

Two extremes of hyperbole there though Jack. Of course Phillips is nowhere near the level of Carragher but he has looked good in some games. He was good against Spurs for example.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #349 on: January 31, 2021, 01:52:13 pm »

He wouldn't find it easy but Carra and Hyypia did well in a high line in 05/06. Difference then was the back four were more of a unit and full backs weren't as attacking.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #350 on: January 31, 2021, 02:00:03 pm »
He wouldn't find it easy but Carra and Hyypia did well in a high line in 05/06. Difference then was the back four were more of a unit and full backs weren't as attacking.

The line was nowhere near as high in 05/06 as we like to play now, plus like you said we also had a more defensive back 4 so they wouldn't often be left alone to chase back.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: January 31, 2021, 05:18:18 pm »
Had a great half there. keep it going lad.

Offline CalgarianRed

• Kopite
« Reply #352 on: January 31, 2021, 05:20:10 pm »
Looks very confident.
True North Strong

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: January 31, 2021, 05:23:29 pm »
Against certain teams/tactics he's boss, if we can remember how to take corners he should be a threat the other end. More than happy to keep him at the club next season for rotation, if he's happy with that. Helps with the association trained quota.
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #354 on: January 31, 2021, 05:28:58 pm »
Its so frustrating to see us take outswinging flat corners that 99% hit the first man. Unfortunately,  we can't seem to float a simple ball onto the penalty spot.

Float it onto this lad's forehead and see what happens,  at least.

"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: January 31, 2021, 06:21:02 pm »
Ace tonight.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: January 31, 2021, 06:21:53 pm »
Great display. Reminds me a bit of Terry (just not as good with the ball)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #357 on: January 31, 2021, 06:22:21 pm »
Was excellent aerially and used the ball sensibly on the floor.  Don't think he's the solution to our problems at the back, but he's a better option than Williams.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: January 31, 2021, 06:22:50 pm »
Reminds me of Harry Maguire. Well in lad.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: January 31, 2021, 06:22:54 pm »
Well done lad!

Stuck it all the way up the arses of those that doubted you before the game.

What a response to the doubters.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk