Author Topic: Tommy Smith - Can at least we as Liverpudlians get it right about him  (Read 47304 times)

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
Re: Tommy Smith R.I.P.
« Reply #160 on: April 12, 2019, 07:23:42 pm »
The title of this thread should be what he was -  The Anfield Iron

He was doing "Graeme Souness" before Souness had pubes. His steel paved the way for the silk of his, and the next generation and his love of the club was only matched by the fans and he gave the steel that gave Shankly the back-bone to build an empire.
A League title winner and not just a European Cup winner, but a European Cup Final scorer, Tommy Smith was all that, and more.

RIP the man that wasn't born, but who was quarried.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: April 12, 2019, 07:23:59 pm »
RIP  :'(

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #162 on: April 12, 2019, 07:24:26 pm »
Oh no! RIP
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline MadErik

• Legacy Fan
  • NS
« Reply #163 on: April 12, 2019, 07:24:31 pm »
The goal in Rome in ‘77 was fairytale stuff.

R.I.P. Tommy
"I was only in the game for the love of football -- and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool."

Online dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #164 on: April 12, 2019, 07:27:37 pm »
Such sad news.  RIP Tommy.  One of the foundations that made our great club great.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 08:41:24 pm by dirkster »

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: April 12, 2019, 07:27:45 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/elslazJQBM4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/elslazJQBM4</a>

RIP The Anfield Iron
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #166 on: April 12, 2019, 07:29:16 pm »
I saw him play. It's not something you forget. RIP Anfield Iron.

And plenty of opponents didn't forget playing against him either.

My abiding memory is the goal in Rome. I was talking to an English speaking plain clothes Roman copper, who I'd met the night before at Termini station, and explained he was a Liverpool lad and a local hero and that's why the was such an outburst of joy. As well as the fact he'd just scored a great goal when we needed it.

A great player who typified the spirit of Shankly's teams.

Online unknownuser

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
Re: Tommy Smith (The Anfield Iron) R.I.P.
« Reply #167 on: April 12, 2019, 07:29:32 pm »
RIP :(
Legends live on forever

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: April 12, 2019, 07:29:42 pm »
Not born, quarried. RIP.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #169 on: April 12, 2019, 07:33:33 pm »
Oh no.

I was brought up on stories of Tommy Smith.  A true great.  Will be missed greatly
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: April 12, 2019, 07:38:39 pm »
RIP

Offline Saltashscouse

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and bred to support the Reds
« Reply #171 on: April 12, 2019, 07:39:00 pm »
RIP Sir Thomas of Smith , aka The Anfield Iron , scorer of a magnificent header in 77 European Cup Final
Jan Molby once bought me a pint 🍺

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: April 12, 2019, 07:39:18 pm »
Oh no! RIP Tommy. Thoughts are with your family & friends. YNWA!
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #173 on: April 12, 2019, 07:41:04 pm »
On the shoulders of giants...

RIP Tommy.
'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #174 on: April 12, 2019, 07:45:35 pm »
This was a comment by a feller named Al below a TAW article on Tommy a couple of years back. Deserves a wider audience:

A wonderful tribute and testimony to a player so immense for LFC that words – even the inspired ones such as those the author has penned – cannot begin to accord him justice. That said, many many thanks for composing such a fine piece Mike.

Tommy’s arrival in ’64 as twin centre back [number 10 shirt] alongside Big Rowdy in a hitherto little known back four line-up came about 5 years after I’d begun watching the Reds from the Boys Pen as Shanks mounted his escape plan from Division Two.

I’ve never been totally sure whether the deployment of Smithy in that role was a true tactical masterstroke by Shanks or whether he was merely mimicking a tactical innovation of other sharp footballing minds elsewhere.

I’d love it to have been Shanks’s own flash of tactical inspiration and it was certainly not deployed by every team back then. However, whatever the case, for LFC it not only ensured the securing of those ensuing historical mid ’60’s league and FA cup triumphs but also provided our formation blueprint for many years to come.

I’ve often said it to friends and family but I’ll repeat it here now as a most appropriate place to reiterate it. The Tommy Smith who bestrode domestic and European arenas back in those mid ’60’s adventure was the finest centre back I’ve ever witnessed bar Franz Beckenbauer.
Yes, better than any others.

For me, despite the inevitable blue-eyed blond incarnation of the undoubtedly majestic Bobby Moore courtesy of the prevailing southern media and, in the eyes of our very own rewritten history, our own two subsequent greats in that position – Hansen and Lawrenson, it was only the performances I saw of Beckenbauer in that centre back role which have ever transcended those of Smithy in the same role.

Mike Nevin references Tommy’s cameos in ’74 and ’77 as testaments to his greatness. And I fully understand why he does so as they certainly do provide worthy substantiation of his abilities at that time.

However, in order to gain insight into the version of Tommy Smith that I put on the pedestal of true world class greatness as a lean mean machine of outstanding strength, power, game reading and, paradoxically, bewitching ball skills and creative ability, I would refer folks to the videos of the ’65 final and the ensuing incredible triumph over the reigning world champions Inter Milan. Both of these have rare cameos of the Tommy Smith we used to witness week in week out back in those halcyon days.

Sure, they show Tommy making those trademark tackles and headed clearances which, allied with a game-reading ability comparable in my opinion with that of Bobby Moore, rendered Tommy a defensive obstacle par excellence. Every Liverpudlian I’m sure knows of those.

However, more revealingly they show tantalising glimpses of the immensely skilled and creative attacking footballer never content merely to destroy who would never waste an opportunity to slalom forward past opponents of whatever pedigree to prise openings for his teammates.

For let there be no mistake, around that period Tommy Smith encountered, tamed and often outclassed the very finest attacking players the British and European game could muster and left many in his surging wake. The dearth of internet writers from the time have ensured Tommy is remembered for his achievements more as the beefy right back in those superb ’74 and ’77 cameos against Newcastle and Gladbach. But let me assure everyone. They do not begin to convey one sliver of the full immensity of Tommy Smith, a player who ranks comfortably alongside Scott, Liddell, Cally, Hunt, St John, Keegan, Dalglish, Souness, Hansen, Rush, Barnes, Suarez and Gerrard in the LFC pantheon of true greats.

And for many reasons can possibly be said to eclipse them all.

One final request to the author. If you do get the opportunity, do please pass on my sentiments to Tommy. I know from reading his own depictions of himself as merely the ‘Anfield Iron’ how unassuming and self effacing he is in regard to what he brought to the Anfield table. But do please let him know that there are still some of us who know the reality of his true greatness which goes infinitely beyond that hackneyed hardman summation of a true great. The mid ‘60’s Tommy Smith as an anchor to our current sparkling attacking set up would guarantee any honour we’d care to name.

https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2017/11/tommy-smith-the-lad-from-liverpool-who-became-shanks-man-and-the-anfield-iron/

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: April 12, 2019, 07:46:33 pm »
Legend YNWA RIP

Online Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: April 12, 2019, 07:47:06 pm »
Far too young to witness him play but remember being a kid, reading about him in a book of Liverpool legends. By all accounts a really tough defender! RIP Tommy.

Offline Saltashscouse

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and bred to support the Reds
« Reply #177 on: April 12, 2019, 07:47:15 pm »
Let’s thrash those Chelsea twats in honour of Tommy The Anfield Iron
Jan Molby once bought me a pint 🍺

Offline Syntexity

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: April 12, 2019, 07:47:20 pm »
R.I.P.
YNWA!

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #179 on: April 12, 2019, 07:49:03 pm »
Farewell Tommy. I’ll never forget that European Cup goal, nor the sight of you getting stuck into one of Leeds Utd.’s hard men.

You were from a different era, but you weren’t just a hard man - you could play.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #180 on: April 12, 2019, 07:51:30 pm »
Gutted   :'(
Another legend gone  :(
Loved watching him play back in the day. Will never forget his European final goal.
R.I.P Tommy; The Anfield Iron.
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #181 on: April 12, 2019, 07:52:01 pm »
Out all day and only just looked at my phone and saw this. 😢

I was lucky enough to see Tommy play for us throughout the 70s. No one messed with Tommy Smith. A true Liverpool legend.

RIP Tommy.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #182 on: April 12, 2019, 07:52:39 pm »
YNWA
YNWA - JFT97

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #183 on: April 12, 2019, 07:53:08 pm »
Sad day.  Shankly's Best.

Rest In Peace.

YNWA

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #184 on: April 12, 2019, 07:53:13 pm »
RIP Tommy.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline Treedon

• Kemlynite
« Reply #185 on: April 12, 2019, 07:53:39 pm »
Sleep well Tommy, one of the true greats.

YNWA

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: April 12, 2019, 07:54:21 pm »
Tommy Smith a true Anfield Legend, Rest in Peace

YNWA

Offline dirks digglers

• Kopite
« Reply #187 on: April 12, 2019, 07:57:40 pm »
Absolute legend. RIP.
If you can’t understand it without an explanation, you can’t understand it with an explanation.

Offline Marley

• Main Stander
« Reply #188 on: April 12, 2019, 07:57:47 pm »
Absolute legend and what a player he was.
That header in Rome 77 is still my favourite Liverpool goal of all time, gives me goosebumps every time I see it.

R.I.P.  Tommy

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #189 on: April 12, 2019, 07:57:58 pm »
RIP. If you score a bullet header in a European Cup win you attain immortality status.

YNWA.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: April 12, 2019, 07:58:06 pm »
Rest in peace Tommy Smith. A Liverpool legend in every sense of the word. YNWA
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: April 12, 2019, 08:02:06 pm »
RIP

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #192 on: April 12, 2019, 08:02:17 pm »
For three seasons, between 1963 and 1966, there was a core of thirteen names that formed the bedrock of what the club was to become. Tommy Smith was one of the names that tripped off the tongue. A recent Second Division side won two Leagues, a first FA Cup and became a force in Europe.

A few thin years followed but Tommy Smith was the glue that held together an inexperienced group of players until Kevin Keegan came along to take them to a new level. The goal in Rome was icing on the cake of a fantastic career. One of the best servants the club ever had.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #193 on: April 12, 2019, 08:06:07 pm »
Far too young to have seen him play, but have heard many stories about how good he was. RIP.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: April 12, 2019, 08:07:17 pm »
Tommy Smith, what a name, what a player. Thank you Tommy for making me smile. RIP

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: April 12, 2019, 08:08:20 pm »
Great player, great Scouser and great man. I was privileged to watch him play and enjoyed watching him show strength, skill and a love for our club. I will never forget Rome and watching his header fly in right in front of me. Thanks and RIP Tommy.

Online Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: April 12, 2019, 08:11:39 pm »
One of the best.
R. I. P Tommy.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: April 12, 2019, 08:15:43 pm »
RIP

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #198 on: April 12, 2019, 08:15:51 pm »
Very sad news. One of the iconic names from our glorious past. RIP Tommy.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #199 on: April 12, 2019, 08:24:01 pm »
Fuckin ell, a proper Scouse legend.

RIP Tommy, never forgotten.