Author Topic: Television buying  (Read 371088 times)

Online MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Television buying
« Reply #5400 on: September 26, 2021, 11:10:59 pm »
Dipped into this thread for the first time, and there's amazing insight from some very knowledgable people. I'm wondering if it's time for me to invest in a better TV as I'll be moving out from my mates in the new year and I hear black friday usually features big deals.

The advice on the C1 over the Sony made a lot of sense to me (which is rare with all the latest TV developments, which have passed me in the last five years I've been renting at flats with mates).

I'm wondering if you have similar advice about a good value option that's an ideal mix for games (PS5) and films, but perhaps a bit smaller than the 48 inch C1 option I've seen (and definitely less expensive than £1,099?

Last TV I bought about a decade ago was a 32 inch LCD and I'd alawys thought the size was right for me. But my housemates have an equally old 42 inch TV, that doesnt feel overly large or take up as much room as i expected, so maybe slightly large 48 inch wouldn't be a problem. I'm just moving around a lot and will always be renting so can't ever be sure about the space in future rooms.

Any advice at all is appreciated on a kind of established good quality (inc for games) but good value value TV in the mould of the C1, but under 48 inch and definitely under £1,000. Including if I should be waiting til black friday deals to invest. Am I dreaming haha?
Man up and get a 55. Better value as they are very similar in price and I bet you can make it work.

The mrs convinced me to get a 42 when we were moving from different apartments. I was planning on a 55 and the places we were living in weren’t anything out of the ordinary but could have easily fit them. I still hold this against her…

The most common thing I heard from herself and others after is that they don’t want the tv to dominate the room. That makes no sense to me. What else do people do where you put a tv? You might have it off when friends or family are around for a chat but that is fairly rare in my case at least.

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5401 on: September 27, 2021, 12:31:40 am »
Man up and get a 55. Better value as they are very similar in price and I bet you can make it work.

The mrs convinced me to get a 42 when we were moving from different apartments. I was planning on a 55 and the places we were living in weren’t anything out of the ordinary but could have easily fit them. I still hold this against her…

The most common thing I heard from herself and others after is that they don’t want the tv to dominate the room. That makes no sense to me. What else do people do where you put a tv? You might have it off when friends or family are around for a chat but that is fairly rare in my case at least.

I'd say this was true when we had the CRT TVs. Now, not really.
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5402 on: October 11, 2021, 09:18:14 pm »
Aldi have those £9.99 Reka tv brackets back in stock.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/reka-full-motion-tv-wall-bracket/p/713709545173401
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5403 on: October 15, 2021, 06:09:57 pm »
You can get the 65” C1 from Richer Sounds for £1650 at the min. Was very very tempted but paying a couple of other bits off first.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5404 on: October 15, 2021, 06:40:24 pm »

My mum is like this. Always insisted that the TVs were hidden in cabinets. So then my dad bought a new flatscreen that didn't fit in the existing cabinet and they had to put it on the top. Then when she was about to get a new bigger cabinet he bought an even bigger TV, and she gave up.

The mad part is that she refuses to even switch the TV off, needs it on these days for background noise. She hates coming to mine because I don't have one (I have a TV but only a PC connected to it so there's no constant drone of programming).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 06:42:00 pm by Riquende »
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Danny Singh

• Main Stander
« Reply #5405 on: October 15, 2021, 09:01:27 pm »
You can get the 65” C1 from Richer Sounds for £1650 at the min. Was very very tempted but paying a couple of other bits off first.

Is that with a promo code? It's says £1,899 currently.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5406 on: October 15, 2021, 09:31:22 pm »
Yeah it was on HotUKDeals yesterday

Online MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5407 on: October 15, 2021, 11:04:39 pm »
I would imagine it will be that price in most places in a month or two.

Offline Danny Singh

• Main Stander
« Reply #5408 on: October 18, 2021, 08:48:11 pm »
Yeah it was on HotUKDeals yesterday

Yeah, you was right. I didn't tick to receive email notifications so missed it!

Anyone know/own the Sony A84J? Meant to be even better than both the C1 and A80J whilst being the same price as the latter (£2,199).

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5409 on: October 18, 2021, 09:31:23 pm »
Anyone have experience of LG 'Nanocell' screens? I'm moving next month and not taking my faulty old 40-something inch Samsung with me, got a £1000 budget max and I'm thinking I can get a good 50" or maybe 55" into the space we've marked out for the screen. We're not that into general telly watching but will have a PC connected to watch movies from a lot of the time.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #5410 on: October 18, 2021, 09:33:00 pm »
Yeah, you was right. I didn't tick to receive email notifications so missed it!

Anyone know/own the Sony A84J? Meant to be even better than both the C1 and A80J whilst being the same price as the latter (£2,199).
Don’t own it, but from what I’ve read the A84J has two differences from the A80J. It has a Rich Colour Enhancer and an in built mic. From what I can gather most people on AV Forums seem to prefer the A80J. I think it’s to do with the Rich colour enhancer making things more vivid but perhaps unnaturally so
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5411 on: October 18, 2021, 11:19:52 pm »
Anyone have experience of LG 'Nanocell' screens? I'm moving next month and not taking my faulty old 40-something inch Samsung with me, got a £1000 budget max and I'm thinking I can get a good 50" or maybe 55" into the space we've marked out for the screen. We're not that into general telly watching but will have a PC connected to watch movies from a lot of the time.
At 1k you are probably very close to a 55 c1 oled in a months time with Black Friday. Not sure how good the lg nanocell is but there definitely a good Sony and Samsungs in that range of lcd’s.

Offline Danny Singh

• Main Stander
« Reply #5412 on: October 24, 2021, 10:38:57 am »
Don’t own it, but from what I’ve read the A84J has two differences from the A80J. It has a Rich Colour Enhancer and an in built mic. From what I can gather most people on AV Forums seem to prefer the A80J. I think it’s to do with the Rich colour enhancer making things more vivid but perhaps unnaturally so

Much appreciated.

I was sold on the C1 a few weeks ago but now i'm swaying towards the A80/84J after reading more reviews online and going in store.

As i'll be watching Tv shows/Movies and Football 70% of the time and Gaming 30% (PS5), it seems the Sony has better picture quality which is the priority. I believe Sony recently released an update for VRR to help with gaming on PS5 which is good news, although the C1 is still better for this apparently.

My main question is, for an extra £400, do I pull the trigger on the A80/84J?

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5413 on: October 24, 2021, 01:58:30 pm »
Much appreciated.

I was sold on the C1 a few weeks ago but now i'm swaying towards the A80/84J after reading more reviews online and going in store.

As i'll be watching Tv shows/Movies and Football 70% of the time and Gaming 30% (PS5), it seems the Sony has better picture quality which is the priority. I believe Sony recently released an update for VRR to help with gaming on PS5 which is good news, although the C1 is still better for this apparently.

My main question is, for an extra £400, do I pull the trigger on the A80/84J?
Honestly I doubt there will be much between them, they’re both going to be great, if one spec has more of what you want go with that or price is the most important thing go with that. If I had to lean one way it would be to the Sony just because if you’re watching a lot of football I believe it has better motion. Doubt you’ll be disappointed with whatever you pick so go for whatever suits you best

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5414 on: October 24, 2021, 03:41:03 pm »
In terms of future proofing, my experience with Sony is that there’s probably only one or two HDMI ports that are HDMI 2.1 whereas the LG will be all of them. Something to bear in mind.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5415 on: October 24, 2021, 04:21:23 pm »
In terms of future proofing, my experience with Sony is that there’s probably only one or two HDMI ports that are HDMI 2.1 whereas the LG will be all of them. Something to bear in mind.

He can pick an 8k splitter up for £40'ish
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5416 on: November 4, 2021, 09:09:09 pm »
Got a question, is it necessary to calibrate your tv to specific settings or just leave them as you’ve bought the tv?

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5417 on: November 4, 2021, 09:25:03 pm »
Got a question, is it necessary to calibrate your tv to specific settings or just leave them as you’ve bought the tv?
It’s not necessary. Are you unhappy with all the preset picture settings?
If you want to get the absolute best out of it you can get it professionally calibrated, but I’d say it would want to be a fairly top level tv for it to be worth it.

Online MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5418 on: November 4, 2021, 09:37:00 pm »
I would say it is necessary. I don’t think it needs to be done professionally but I would always search recommended settings for that exact model online and then tweak if I feel I need to.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #5419 on: November 4, 2021, 09:42:51 pm »

Many people spend a lot of time doing this and post their settings online, so just have a google of your specific TV.  I thought my out of the box settings were more than adequate until I found some settings on here from other people……. https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/how-to-calibrate-your-tv

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5420 on: November 4, 2021, 09:44:12 pm »
Yeah totally agree using some of the settings online and then tweaking for your room 100% improves the picture in my experience.

Offline Danny Singh

• Main Stander
« Reply #5421 on: November 6, 2021, 05:45:05 pm »
Black Fridays deals already dropped.

A80J (65") now £1,799 and C1 (65") £1,699.

I'm gonna pull the trigger on the A80J.

For those who own the A80J, how is the sound quality? If you have a soundbar, i'd love to get your opinions!

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5422 on: November 6, 2021, 07:07:00 pm »
C1 is £100 cheaper at Costco

Online MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5423 on: November 6, 2021, 11:53:35 pm »

For those who own the A80J, how is the sound quality? If you have a soundbar, i'd love to get your opinions!

I think it’s mostly lg heads in here when it comes to oled. not sure what you are coming from but if it’s not oled you will be blown away. As for sound the Sony’s are known for having the best so I would try it out first and then decide if you want the sound bar.

Offline Creg

• Main Stander
« Reply #5424 on: November 8, 2021, 11:46:57 pm »

I have had a 55” A80J for around six weeks. Delighted by the picture quality and happy enough without a sound bar for now. The acoustic screen works really well IMO but if you are used to a sound bar set up then your own view might differ.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5425 on: November 9, 2021, 05:57:50 pm »

Just on this calibration thing - I haven't changed any settings on our telly - but has anyone noticed on sky sports lately that the colours are turned up to Spanish-TV levels? It only seems to be during games, other channels and the studio etc looks normal which is why I don't think anything has changed our end.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5426 on: November 23, 2021, 10:45:21 pm »
I have had a 55” A80J for around six weeks. Delighted by the picture quality and happy enough without a sound bar for now. The acoustic screen works really well IMO but if you are used to a sound bar set up then your own view might differ.

Does it have UK on demand channels yet? Reviews I've read say it didn't at the time. Daft as it sounds, it's kinda a deal breaker for me.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #5427 on: November 24, 2021, 08:48:31 am »
For those after a smaller entry level OLED, prices on the 48A1 seem to have dropped like a stone over this week, BT shop had it at £650, with Costco down to £639 with a 5 year warranty if you are a member

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5428 on: November 24, 2021, 10:26:05 am »
For those after a smaller entry level OLED, prices on the 48A1 seem to have dropped like a stone over this week, BT shop had it at £650, with Costco down to £639 with a 5 year warranty if you are a member

Cheers

LG 48 C1 also on there with £100 off (so it's £899)

That's a pretty solid deal, right?

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5429 on: November 24, 2021, 10:50:19 am »
Cheers

LG 48 C1 also on there with £100 off (so it's £899)

That's a pretty solid deal, right?

Yes I haven't seen it much better anywhere else, although I wonder if the C1 might still drop a little bit tomorrow/Friday, that is a big price gap between the A1 and C1

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5430 on: November 24, 2021, 11:01:21 am »
Not a Television buying question but just a general tech one, I have Sony Bravia 4K TV and when you download something like a Sky Store video or you look at Youtube or BT Sports, when watching the football when the ball moves around you get a blurry effect, dunno if its some sort of lag. Its not bad but it puts me off watching BT Sports app on the TV on HD and watching it instead on the SD TV channel.

Is there some sort of setting that would adjust that or is it just the case thats what happens with streamed content? Rest of the picture and movements are fine.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5431 on: November 24, 2021, 11:39:14 am »
Sony TV's usually have something called 'Motion Flow' in the settings that you can tinker with to find what suits best. It also depends on the content - if you're watching the BT Sport App then I'm sure that only displays at 30fps whereas TV broadcasts are 50fps

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5432 on: November 24, 2021, 03:49:20 pm »
I turn all that motion blur and other fancy settings off to be honest.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #5433 on: November 24, 2021, 04:27:52 pm »
I turn all that motion blur and other fancy settings off to be honest.

Eye that bloody colour rubbish, get rid of that shite :D

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5434 on: November 24, 2021, 05:45:11 pm »
Eye that bloody colour rubbish, get rid of that shite :D

Nothing to do with colour? It’s fancy settings used in the shop but doesn’t look good in a home setting.

Only my personal preference.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5435 on: November 24, 2021, 10:16:41 pm »
Sony TV's usually have something called 'Motion Flow' in the settings that you can tinker with to find what suits best. It also depends on the content - if you're watching the BT Sport App then I'm sure that only displays at 30fps whereas TV broadcasts are 50fps

Thanks that seems to have sorted it. Makes the picture less crisp but prefer that to the ball being blurry when passed or shot.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5436 on: November 26, 2021, 12:32:13 am »
Yes I haven't seen it much better anywhere else, although I wonder if the C1 might still drop a little bit tomorrow/Friday, that is a big price gap between the A1 and C1

48C1 going down to £840 on Costco according to the email I got through, 55C1 to £996, 65C1 to £1,440, not sure all of those are fully on the website yet

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5437 on: November 26, 2021, 11:54:57 am »
Wanted a new OLED TV this year. But think I'm going to wait until next year now. The G1 looks good but don't want it on the wall and you have to pay extra for the feet. The C1 looks ugly imo (the stand). Sony have no UK tv catch up apps and Panasonic seem overpriced for their top end TVs. Only ever owned Panasonic actually.

Be interesting to see Samsung's new tech next year which basically combines Oled and Qdot
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 12:01:52 pm by clinical »
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5438 on: November 26, 2021, 10:43:12 pm »
Wanted a new OLED TV this year. But think I'm going to wait until next year now. The G1 looks good but don't want it on the wall and you have to pay extra for the feet. The C1 looks ugly imo (the stand). Sony have no UK tv catch up apps and Panasonic seem overpriced for their top end TVs. Only ever owned Panasonic actually.

Be interesting to see Samsung's new tech next year which basically combines Oled and Qdot

UK TV apps are coming to latests Sonys by the end of 2021, apparently. I can cope until then.  I had to rule the C1 out because my Sonos beam would obscure it.  At least with the A80j you can adjust it.

Offline Creg

• Main Stander
« Reply #5439 on: November 27, 2021, 01:14:46 am »
Does it have UK on demand channels yet? Reviews I've read say it didn't at the time. Daft as it sounds, it's kinda a deal breaker for me.

Sorry, I’ve just seen this.

It doesn’t have the apps currently but I believe they are due in the next couple of months. To be honest, I haven’t missed them but I have a virgin box which covers that off.

My previous tv was an older Bravia which did have the uk apps but didn’t have Apple TV available for it. I managed to side load Apple TV, so not sure if there might be a work around.