Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3307152 times)

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #19400 on: November 4, 2018, 12:33:02 am »
He’s my favourite contributor but Gutmann needs to do something about that lid

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #19401 on: November 4, 2018, 08:02:04 am »
absolute state of Ben Johnsons ratings. Christ

You've made it clear you don't like them. So really why are you still reading them?

Are you being forced to?

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19402 on: November 4, 2018, 08:36:36 am »
Feel sorry for Fabinho, our fanbase has split itself into two weird factions over Henderson, and now it seems we have to drag Fabinho into it.

Personally I thought he had a stinker yesterday but has had more good games than bad, and I like him better than I liked Chamberlein this time last year. But it would be nice if we could talk about him without talking about Henderson at the same time, because then everyone gets weird.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #19403 on: November 4, 2018, 08:36:36 am »
You've made it clear you don't like them. So really why are you still reading them?

Are you being forced to?

He's professionally employed to critique all aspects of TAW and keep them honest.

I mean he's employed by himself on a 0 hours contract but nevertheless.
:D

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #19404 on: November 4, 2018, 09:38:34 am »
Melissa Reddy on the Sunday Supplement.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #19405 on: November 4, 2018, 09:45:52 am »
This is great news for that show. It’s in danger of disappearing up its self-satisfied white male anus. More alternative voices with a link to fan media is required to shift these fellas from their complacent stuper.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19406 on: November 4, 2018, 10:12:04 am »
There's been some cracking afq recently
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline NotTooXabi12

• NotTooCheery
  • Main Stander
« Reply #19407 on: November 4, 2018, 10:40:02 am »

Are you being forced to?

As im paying for the content, it would be a daft to not get as much of the content as i can wouldnt it. Also he didnt write them last week.

Now run along.

Offline NotTooXabi12

• NotTooCheery
  • Main Stander
« Reply #19408 on: November 4, 2018, 10:40:50 am »
He's professionally employed to critique all aspects of TAW and keep them honest.

I mean he's employed by himself on a 0 hours contract but nevertheless.

Nah mate

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #19409 on: November 4, 2018, 10:43:09 am »
This is great news for that show. It’s in danger of disappearing up its self-satisfied white male anus. More alternative voices with a link to fan media is required to shift these fellas from their complacent stuper.

The problem with the Sunday Suppliment is they use the same crowd most weeks so you get the same views over and over. Having said that they are inviting new journalists on this season, Dominick King was on a few weeks ago now Melissa. Hopefully this continues.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19410 on: November 4, 2018, 10:50:55 am »
Fucking hell..

This has blown my mind

Ha ha - get it on the the next gutter for the Arsenal perspective :D

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #19411 on: November 4, 2018, 10:54:48 am »
It's brilliant. Gutmann never disappoints.

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #19412 on: November 4, 2018, 11:44:34 am »
There's definitely legs in a show called Ironing For The Masses
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #19413 on: November 4, 2018, 11:53:45 am »

It’s gunnersaurus.

You say that as though we would know   8)

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #19414 on: November 4, 2018, 12:31:44 pm »
As im paying for the content, it would be a daft to not get as much of the content as i can wouldnt it. Also he didnt write them last week.

Now run along.

The match ratings are available to anyone through the website.

On that do you watch and read everything the BBC put out?

Wind your neck in

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #19415 on: November 4, 2018, 03:10:21 pm »
The first rule of Ben Johnson’s match ratings is to never actually absorb and consider Ben Johnson’s match ratings.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #19416 on: November 4, 2018, 04:27:09 pm »
Hey TAW lads, youse need to stop thinking about the Title chase - it depends entirely on whether City suffer a mishap along the way.

Enjoy our footy on its own merits and you'll not be so frustrated and not be in the position where you're feeling deflated after a 4-1 win or decent draw at Arsenal (who are a level above last year when we drew with them too).

Peace lads and enjoy the ride - we have to otherwise we might as well pop a pill that keeps us safely asleep for 5 months.

:wave

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19417 on: November 4, 2018, 07:04:06 pm »
Hey TAW lads, youse need to stop thinking about the Title chase - it depends entirely on whether City suffer a mishap along the way.

Enjoy our footy on its own merits and you'll not be so frustrated and not be in the position where you're feeling deflated after a 4-1 win or decent draw at Arsenal (who are a level above last year when we drew with them too).

Peace lads and enjoy the ride - we have to otherwise we might as well pop a pill that keeps us safely asleep for 5 months.

:wave

This. They always talk about the people who 'did 2014 right'.  Well, some of the TAW lads are doing 2019 wrong.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #19418 on: November 4, 2018, 07:49:48 pm »
That’s great news...

She’s young, female and not white.. she also talks about the game extremely well and is extremely know,edgable

The very antithesis of what the show is... it so needed something to freshen it up....

It’s not been the same since Jimmy Hill left... he brought a Corinthian ideal to the show that has now became a sad grind.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #19419 on: November 4, 2018, 08:15:30 pm »
absolute state of Ben Johnsons ratings. Christ

Did you read the Echo's?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #19420 on: November 4, 2018, 09:15:36 pm »
TAW’s about the most consistently considered place to listen to LFC-related chatter, but even they’re losing their nerve a bit. I’m not suggesting they’re being knee jerkers but there’s a bit too much moon howling after just 11 games.

The whole fan base needs to knock it down several octaves.

Offline VickyR27

• Boys Pen
« Reply #19421 on: November 4, 2018, 09:51:57 pm »
Subscribed to TAW a few months ago, having listened off and on since they started on Radio City - best £5 I've spent in a long time!
VickyR27 - Up the Reds

Offline VickyR27

• Boys Pen
« Reply #19422 on: November 4, 2018, 09:58:55 pm »
Love how Gareth, Morgan and others at times do their best to hide their smile when it's time to announce Neil and his tactics board.  :

Like the preview show but I mostly look forward to see Neil's analysis and Robbo's visiting of away grounds. Laughed with this bit

PS: Oh and there were actually some comments on a youtube video asking Gareth why he often wears the same clothes. Bloody hell. It actually bothers them...
I love Neil's tactics board too, makes me laugh! The Away ground info is good, it would be useful if I could ever get an away ticket!
As for commenting on Robbo's clothes, its mad people actually get worked up enough to post a comment about it at all!
VickyR27 - Up the Reds

Offline VickyR27

• Boys Pen
Re: The Anfield Wrap....
« Reply #19423 on: November 4, 2018, 10:00:57 pm »
BTW

ANY feedback more than welcome
Loving The Wrap, so much great content, but can we have more from Melissa Reddy & other female contributors? It would be good to get a female fans perspective now & again
VickyR27 - Up the Reds

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19424 on: November 5, 2018, 09:37:48 am »
Thought Ben Johnson’s thoughts summed up my mood perfectly on the post match show. I was at the game and it was definitely one to endure rather than enjoy. We all know there is very little margin for error because City are that good. A draw away to a decent, talented team, in very good form, felt like a kick in the bollocks because we knew City would beat Southampton easily, and they did.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #19425 on: November 5, 2018, 10:08:01 am »
Thought Ben Johnson’s thoughts summed up my mood perfectly on the post match show. I was at the game and it was definitely one to endure rather than enjoy. We all know there is very little margin for error because City are that good. A draw away to a decent, talented team, in very good form, felt like a kick in the bollocks because we knew City would beat Southampton easily, and they did.

It's November. We're 11 games in. We don't have to beat Arsenal just because City were at home to Southampton a day later.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #19426 on: November 5, 2018, 10:37:09 am »
and that is not a good place to be in

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #19427 on: November 5, 2018, 10:44:10 am »
It's November. We're 11 games in. We don't have to beat Arsenal just because City were at home to Southampton a day later.

A few seasons ago I would have agreed with you. And of course drawing with Arsenal doesn't mean the season is over, but it means the margin for error is tightened that bit more.

Man City getting 100 points or close to it under Pep Guardiola isn't likely to be a one off.

It's interesting to see the cognitive dissonance between the idea that we shouldn't worry about goal difference because City will keep beating teams 4, 5 and 6-0 and the idea that somehow they might draw/lose enough games for us to beat them on points.

There are two separate things going on for me that happen at the same time but are quite distinct. The first is watching us play and enjoying the moment. The second is trying to win the league.

So going back to the Cardiff game - it was a good result as an isolated game, but not good enough if we want to win the league. Same as Saturday - a point at Arsenal is a decent result but we've lost ground to City, Arsenal are still in touch, and Chelsea have made ground on us.

It's also worth pointing out that the pleasure of just watching us play under Klopp, with all the great players we now have, isn't going to last for ever if we don't win things.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19428 on: November 5, 2018, 10:49:20 am »
A few seasons ago I would have agreed with you. And of course drawing with Arsenal doesn't mean the season is over, but it means the margin for error is tightened that bit more.

Man City getting 100 points or close to it under Pep Guardiola isn't likely to be a one off.

It's interesting to see the cognitive dissonance between the idea that we shouldn't worry about goal difference because City will keep beating teams 4, 5 and 6-0 and the idea that somehow they might draw/lose enough games for us to beat them on points.

There are two separate things going on for me that happen at the same time but are quite distinct. The first is watching us play and enjoying the moment. The second is trying to win the league.

So going back to the Cardiff game - it was a good result as an isolated game, but not good enough if we want to win the league. Same as Saturday - a point at Arsenal is a decent result but we've lost ground to City, Arsenal are still in touch, and Chelsea have made ground on us.

It's also worth pointing out that the pleasure of just watching us play under Klopp, with all the great players we now have, isn't going to last for ever if we don't win things.

I don't disagree with any of this. I was left disappointed after the final whistle because it was undoubtedly a small blow to our title ambitions, even though in any 'normal' season a point at the Emirates having been dominated for the majority of the match would probably not feel that way.

It's the point about them playing Southampton which is irrelevant. You can't take things on a week-by-week basis this early in the season. It's too reactionary. They were always going to beat Southampton at home. No team is always going to beat Arsenal away the form they're in. We can't beat ourselves up like that.

City play United next weekend. Let's say our game against Fulham takes place after that match rather than beforehand as it does in reality. Would they be thinking, "We have to win this game because Liverpool have Fulham at home this week!" Not 12 games into a season in November in my opinion.
« Last Edit: November 5, 2018, 10:54:54 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19429 on: November 5, 2018, 10:59:36 am »
There's been some cracking afq recently

Absolutely spot on, generally I can take it or leave it but the last 2 (that's as far as my memory stretches these days !!) have been really good.

Online Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19430 on: November 5, 2018, 11:19:10 am »

There's been some really good discussions on the Wrap recently about what this actually means and how the domestic dominance of City influences how we all feel.
The consensus was that winning things actually means the League or the CL which are both hugely difficult to win.

I think given that the definition of winning things has changed, what constitutes failure must also be reassessed and if Klopp leads us to 90+ points then the pundits that would normally say he's won nothing, would need to reassess.

What do you do, keep sacking managers until they can get you to 110 points or whatever it takes to beat City?

Our biggest risk is players and managers thinking that it's all too hard and moving elsewhere for easier trophies, but the upside is we are not alone in that, and there are potentially 5 other squads and managers in the same boat and there's only so many players that Juventus, PSG, Bayern, Real and Barcelona can employ.

Perhaps the biggest mistake we are all making is assuming city will dominate to the extent that we are all thinking. Something, anything, could happen that changes things, and my worst fear is that we give up and allow the next Leicester to sneak through. That would be bad.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19431 on: November 5, 2018, 12:24:39 pm »

I get that. But this isn't like the previous 98 seasons when our current record in the league would've seen us sitting top of the league (stat I saw on another forum - could be bollocks). So when you're 1 up in a tough game with 10 minutes to go, it will feel like a kick in the bollocks due to the context of what City are doing. Well it did for me.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19432 on: November 5, 2018, 12:25:57 pm »
I get that. But this isn't like the previous 98 seasons when our current record in the league would've seen us sitting top of the league (stat I saw on another forum - could be bollocks). So when you're 1 up in a tough game with 10 minutes to go, it will feel like a kick in the bollocks due to the context of what City are doing. Well it did for me.

It did for all of us, but not because Man City were playing Southampton 24 hours later.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19433 on: November 5, 2018, 01:31:55 pm »
I have one niggling complaint about TAW this season - we've gone into games against Chelsea x2 and Arsenal where the entire panel on the preceding podcast have been sure we were going to tank them. And even against City and Napoli, there was a degree of over-confidence IMO. I think the contributors just need to be a little more realistic in their outlook. If it was a one-off then fine, but its become quite persistent now.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #19434 on: November 5, 2018, 02:05:27 pm »
I have one niggling complaint about TAW this season - we've gone into games against Chelsea x2 and Arsenal where the entire panel on the preceding podcast have been sure we were going to tank them. And even against City and Napoli, there was a degree of over-confidence IMO. I think the contributors just need to be a little more realistic in their outlook. If it was a one-off then fine, but its become quite persistent now.

Waits for people to have a moan someone is too negative...

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19435 on: November 5, 2018, 04:56:15 pm »

I think what doesn't help is the feeling that if we don't win the league this year then it will never happen. While it has been the case that we have fallen to bits in the past following a title challenge (6th in 2015 and 7th in 2010 for example) I don't think that's the case now.

If City get 100+ points this year then it's not going to happen for us, and I'm confident that we will come back better next season, and the season after that.

I'm certainly not going to waste watching probably the best LFC side in my memory by moaning about what City are doing. I'm comfortable with the trajectory we're on and I'd imagine that's also true of the players and the manager.

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #19436 on: November 5, 2018, 06:54:51 pm »
Better balance on today’s show. We do need the likes of TAW to counteract some of the hysteria elsewhere. One quibble would be remaining honest / accurate. For example, it was said on the show that “we all had a lovely Saturday night watching the Reds” or similar. The fact is that many supporters and even some TAW contributors did not enjoy it. And it’s not simply a choice or voluntary to react differently. It’s like being asked to moderate your blood pressure; mediatation might do it but it’s rare! Better for TAW to say yeah, many supporters are taking a fit, but here are the reasons to hold your nerve.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #19437 on: November 5, 2018, 06:59:18 pm »
Are we getting an Under The Lights podcast tonight or a Team Talk?
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #19438 on: November 5, 2018, 07:14:28 pm »
Thought the Monday show was a belter. Some really good points and conversations
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline Nosss

• Anny Roader
« Reply #19439 on: November 5, 2018, 07:14:59 pm »
Can we get Paul Senior on every show?  ;D He's been brilliant this season to date. Keeping his head on every show I remember and admitting our weaknesses while bigging up our strengths and he's been spot on in acknowledging that other teams are good too (Napoli and Arsenal under Emery in particular).