Author Topic: Sheffield United vs Liverpool Pre match thread  (Read 12635 times)

Offline lucabrasi

• sleepswiththefishes
  • Main Stander
Re: Sheffield United vs Liverpool Pre match thread
« Reply #120 on: December 6, 2023, 04:59:23 am »
I say protect CK at all costs in goal with a very defensive team. If they don’t score we win. Simple as that since we will score at least a goal .

Offline Rosario

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: December 6, 2023, 06:04:48 am »
They’ve managed to raise their game on a couple of occasions this season so far, against City in particular . Like others have mentioned our away form needs fixing ASAP if we want any hope of keeping the title dream alive well into the new year.

Could really do with putting a nice little winning run together before Mo heads off for AFCON with some tough games coming during that stretch in January and early February. Hopefully Sunday was the catalyst we need to push on to bigger things.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: December 6, 2023, 07:26:24 am »
They will be all over us for the first 15 mins but if we can deal with that you'd expect us to create quite a lot. Wilder won't set up a low block and he's had no time to prepare with a team that has a few injuries.

Think Gakpo will be in for Nunez,  perhaps Gomez on the left to give Tsimikas a break and maybe Elliot in midfield

Salah brace 2 - 0 please.

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #123 on: December 6, 2023, 07:53:34 am »
Is Chris Wilder considered as a good manager?

Last I remember, he guided the Yorkshire club back to the Premier League in 2019.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #124 on: December 6, 2023, 08:24:35 am »
Think we need to bring in a couple tonight to keep team fresh considering we play 12.30 on Saturday too.

4-4-2 maybe with Elliot wide right and Mo up top with Gakpo.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: December 6, 2023, 09:03:00 am »
next 2 games crucial. have to fix this away form.Wont be pretty just need 2 wins

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #126 on: December 6, 2023, 09:18:38 am »
Thanks Hazell. Obviously the only important thing is three points. There are no "certainties" and Sheffield United will be trying their hardest to find a way to get a point or 3.

I'd like to see Nunez getting a goal or two as I think he's been struggling a bit recently. I expect Salah to score.

Maybe time to start Wataru and let Mac and Szoboszlai play high up. Konate didn't look great against Fulham so hopefully he'll be back to his best if he plays.
#JFT97

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: December 6, 2023, 10:00:51 am »
Get these twatted then we can go and laugh at at least one of Chelsea and Utd, hopefully City too.

Just a shame the league went last night but we can only be respectful and send our congratulations to Arsenal. We will be back next season!!

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #128 on: December 6, 2023, 10:28:31 am »

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: December 6, 2023, 10:33:02 am »
Difficult game this ("saying this because of how we underestimated Luton).

I'd start Endo because it'd be a physical battle.
« Last Edit: December 6, 2023, 10:48:17 am by MonsLibpool »

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #130 on: December 6, 2023, 11:58:44 am »
Sheffield United have conceded 39 goals this season and their goal difference is -28.
They are comfortably the worst team in the league.

There should be absolutely no excuses whatsoever here. They lost 3-0 to Bournemouth and 5-0 Burnley recently. We have to win the game. It’s as simple as that.

Yeah, I really don't see what they can do too differently with what they have. They'd obviously given up on Hecking-bottom and I don't expect a rout by any stretch given they'll want to keep things respectable, but we should be winning by two clear goals given the huge chasm of quality between the sides.

The forwards should be licking their lips here but we have to be clinical of course. I don't know too much about the individuals they have in defence but the goalkeeper is the worst in the league out of all the ones who regularly start.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #131 on: December 6, 2023, 12:01:31 pm »
Just win.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: December 6, 2023, 12:32:56 pm »

Last I remember, he guided the Yorkshire club back to the Premier League in 2019.

He is decent he kept them up for a season but Covid ruined them the following one as they relied on their crowd.

He doesn’t have much to really work with as they came up and actually sold players which is unheard of.

They’ll be going back down whoever is manager but let’s hope they don’t take points off us any win will do.

Online Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: December 6, 2023, 12:35:11 pm »
Our form against newly promoted teams away from home is poor, no wins in last 4 apparently?

Would like to see a 424 here, spread the pitch and pick them off.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #134 on: December 6, 2023, 12:37:16 pm »
Our form against newly promoted teams away from home is poor, no wins in last 4 apparently?

Would like to see a 424 here, spread the pitch and pick them off.

Only 10 points from 18 against the promoted sides last season, and we've already dropped two at Luton. If we'd not dropped those other 8 points last season I think we'd have been 3rd place. Got to pick up the rest this season and hope Luton was the anomaly.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #135 on: December 6, 2023, 12:47:51 pm »
Yeah we’ve got to start improving our away form against teams like this if we’re going to challenge
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: December 6, 2023, 01:18:26 pm »
Objectively - surprised it hasn't been brought up yet - but our away form is poor. And against promoted sides it's also poor.

We need to rectify that! Tonight!

Online SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: December 6, 2023, 01:23:08 pm »
we seem to have developed an atrocious habit of underestimating promoted teams. highly unprofessional and not Liverpool-like at all.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: December 6, 2023, 01:48:17 pm »
We never move the ball quick enough against these sides.

Often see the same lacking in ideas, slow moving, laboured passing left to right looking for options. The teams that sweep them aside often seem to move the ball quickly and attack before they can get their players back behind the ball

I’d look to go with Endo as the 6 and get Mac in the 8 role. He’ll allow us to maintain pressure while we have the security of Endo sweeping up behind him while knowing Endo has a good pass on him as well and is an intellegent user of the ball. Mac has good pass selection and the ability to play the difficult passes he sees too which could be vital. Also allows for Trent to push a bit further forward without so much emphasis on the right back spot as the defence can shift across, Endo can slot in and Mac will be able to cover central areas from deep if needs be

Use Szoboszlai in the attacking mid role knowing if they stand off (which they likely will) he can strike from distance.

Online SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: December 6, 2023, 01:52:05 pm »

Often see the same lacking in ideas, slow moving, laboured passing left to right looking for options. The teams that sweep them aside often seem to move the ball quickly and attack before they can get their players back behind the ball

I’d look to go with Endo as the 6 and get Mac in the 8 role. He’ll allow us to maintain pressure while we have the security of Endo sweeping up behind him while knowing Endo has a good pass on him as well and is an intellegent user of the ball. Mac has good pass selection and the ability to play the difficult passes he sees too which could be vital. Also allows for Trent to push a bit further forward without so much emphasis on the right back spot as the defence can shift across, Endo can slot in and Mac will be able to cover central areas from deep if needs be

Use Szoboszlai in the attacking mid role knowing if they stand off (which they likely will) he can strike from distance.
yeah we start a lot of games (too many) like the oppo is a chess puzzle we need to think our way through.  I'd love to see us move faster with purpose - one touch stuff where possible to get a grip on the game asap.

I'd go Endo behind Mac and Jones tonight.  give Dom the night off if at all possible.

Offline shook

• not stirred
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: December 6, 2023, 01:52:26 pm »
1-1. New manager bounce.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #141 on: December 6, 2023, 01:52:43 pm »
I always thought Mac Allister was earmarked for the right sided 8 role. He is perfect for it. We haven't really seen him combine with Salah much, where I think his one touch play would really benefit Mo. Szoboszlai on the left and either Endo or Jones, who was excellent in the holding role for England U21s, for the 6 position.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #142 on: December 6, 2023, 01:59:48 pm »
I always thought Mac Allister was earmarked for the right sided 8 role. He is perfect for it. We haven't really seen him combine with Salah much, where I think his one touch play would really benefit Mo. Szoboszlai on the left and either Endo or Jones, who was excellent in the holding role for England U21s, for the 6 position.

I think you need someone more athletic as the RHS 8. Someone who can provide under or overlapping runs to help create space for Salah. That has become more important with Trent in the inverted full back role.

Having MacAllister as RHS 8 may push Salah wider to provide width IMO.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #143 on: December 6, 2023, 02:04:05 pm »
Who do you suggest?

It's really just any excuse to continue the Dad's Army theme from the OP.

Do you think I could be excused?
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: December 6, 2023, 02:09:57 pm »

I think we lack width against these teams too, we try to do everything centrally which they love because it means they can pack as many defenders into the middle of the pitch as possible.

We sometimes do a good job of getting Dom/Trent/Salah to take turns making overlapping runs but in other games none of them seem to want to do it and just end up on each others toes.

Offline Buster Gonad

• Kopite
« Reply #145 on: December 6, 2023, 02:24:37 pm »
A lot is being made of our away form being poor but for balance we've got 10 points  away to Abu Dhabis 13. The scandal against Spurs cost us at least a point if not all 3. We've had a tough run of aways which included the leagues toughest against Abu Dhabi. The only black mark is the Luton match where we were clearly the better side. Last season is irrelevant as we're an entirely different and superior side.
That said I'll review my opinion if we fail tonight. Don't think we will though.  3-0 reds.

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #146 on: December 6, 2023, 02:25:18 pm »

Absolutely spot on. Too languid by far against a lot of sides - we allow them time to re-group and smother. It's always been the case that when we play a faster tempo, we take every side apart, but it seems like we only do this against the so-called "top 6 sides" that apparently "play football" against us and not the "lesser teams". We need to do it to all teams.

Force them - Low-block sides can still be pressed. It places the emphasis on breaking down their counter-attacks and nullifying the players they push forward but transition immediately and we're in business. Scoring first against such sides is utterly imperative as invariably, it means their game plan is totally shot. It also stops these sorts of sides from staying in the game and potentially allowing a single mistake/refereeing decision to change the game.
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: December 6, 2023, 02:52:56 pm »
I think we lack width against these teams too, we try to do everything centrally which they love because it means they can pack as many defenders into the middle of the pitch as possible.

We sometimes do a good job of getting Dom/Trent/Salah to take turns making overlapping runs but in other games none of them seem to want to do it and just end up on each others toes.

I think it's something that goes hand in hand with the lack of speed in our passing. If you allow a team to get back into shape by passing it slowly then you negate the use in playing the ball into wide areas as you have so little space to cross into and the crosses become extremely low percentage. Playing the ball into the box when they have 10 back leaves the attackers with such a small chance of winning the ball and even less chance of getting off a good quality shot, it also removes any chance of control and a shot as there's less space to bring the ball down and even if you manage it, a player hurling themselves at you leaves no space to finish. Even the cutback on the floor makes it easy for the opposition to defend as there's plenty to get it clear and again the space is heavily reduced.

I'd liken it to a team trying to play counter attacking football against us but playing 6 passes before getting it into the midfield. We set up with a high line to compress the space on the pitch, a quick outball can completely bypass our midfield and leave space to run in behind but it requires quick play, you try that slow and we'll just regain possession and press you into a turnover.

Absolutely spot on. Too languid by far against a lot of sides - we allow them time to re-group and smother. It's always been the case that when we play a faster tempo, we take every side apart, but it seems like we only do this against the so-called "top 6 sides" that apparently "play football" against us and not the "lesser teams". We need to do it to all teams.

Force them - Low-block sides can still be pressed. It places the emphasis on breaking down their counter-attacks and nullifying the players they push forward but transition immediately and we're in business. Scoring first against such sides is utterly imperative as invariably, it means their game plan is totally shot. It also stops these sorts of sides from staying in the game and potentially allowing a single mistake/refereeing decision to change the game.

Absolutely mate. I think one other thing that stifles us sometimes is the huge lack of an early goal.

Grabbing one forces them to either step out more, or sit back almost accepting the inevitablility of a loss OR leaves them with the huge task of executing a near perfect counter at some point. The longer we go without a goal the more you can see the frustration in our players and we start to get desperate, it spreads that nervous energy and our players end up getting desperate and when that huge chance comes we seem to snatch at it knowing how much we need a goal.

It would do us well to start quickly from the first whistle, smother them and push for the early goal. You either score or you set the tone and the more you're moving the ball quickly the faster they get tired and start to make those silly mistakes. Facing a side who moves the ball quickly is exhausting. How many times have we seen dumb mistakes against the likes of City because players are dead on their feet?

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #148 on: December 6, 2023, 03:03:09 pm »
The stress in this place at times. 😀 How about we all wait and see what happens this season? This is still a brand new midfield finding it's feet in the Premier League. Three of our signings are brand new, the other one is finding his own way into a new position. Meanwhile Trent is being used in different ways and we also have Nunez who is still waiting to completely arrive. I fear this title talk is too early right now. If we are still struggling to break down smaller teams than it kind of indicates we're not quite there. I think we need to take a step back and wait until this team fully comes together. Which it will, as there is plenty of potential here and we've already achieved some great results. But all this loading the pressure on yourselves and the team, makes the journey that less enjoyable. We need to chill more and just enjoy watching the progress of the team overall. 😀
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #149 on: December 6, 2023, 03:09:44 pm »
Let's start the game like there's ten minutes left and we're level or a goal down. We tend to do well then.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
« Reply #150 on: December 6, 2023, 03:41:37 pm »
expecting a no nonsense performance tonight! 3-0 or 4-0. Sheff U fan on radio few days ago dreading this saying Liverpool could rock up and hit double figures THATS when heckenbottom was in charge , they will have a little bounce Wilder is back tonight still expect us to do the business.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: December 6, 2023, 04:03:30 pm »
Would love them to come at us as we should be able to hit them on the break quicker than a Scotsman leaves the pub when it's his round. 😝
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline daveypauly

• Anny Roader
« Reply #152 on: December 6, 2023, 04:08:13 pm »
Just a reminder that it kicks off at 7.30pm - I know the OP states this, but it would have passed me by for sure!

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: December 6, 2023, 04:36:35 pm »
Just a reminder that it kicks off at 7.30pm - I know the OP states this, but it would have passed me by for sure!
Good timings. Can watch us win then switch to watch Abu Dhabi or the Mancs get beat in second half.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #154 on: December 6, 2023, 04:57:03 pm »
Good timings. Can watch us win then switch to watch Abu Dhabi or the Mancs get beat in second half.

Yup, this could be a very fun night.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #155 on: December 6, 2023, 05:12:52 pm »
Thanks Hazell

3-0 in cruise control would suit very well.

Jones Elliot Gomez Konate and Gakpo in. Hopefully even get Quansah in at some point also. But just win also.  ;D Not to much to ask.

Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #156 on: December 6, 2023, 05:38:26 pm »
How long the odds are on a 2-0 win with goals from Kostas and Gomez?  ;D

I feel that's the game at least one of them will score.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: December 6, 2023, 05:50:06 pm »
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline pa

• humbug
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #158 on: December 6, 2023, 05:56:52 pm »
In the meantime, we, Liverpool FC, are leading the Primera División, Clausura, in Uruguay :-)
Would be something if we won our leagues in the same year  :)

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: December 6, 2023, 06:23:09 pm »
Happy to sack the game off and listen to the Amazon Prime hold music for 90 minutes.