Author Topic: Liverpool vs Sevilla 18/05/2016 Europa League Final, Basel  (Read 136769 times)

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
Re: Liverpool vs Sevilla 18/05/2016 Europa League Final, Basel
« Reply #200 on: May 16, 2016, 10:39:34 am »
There are very few instances when just the title of the thread fill me with a warm sense of pride like the title of this one. What are our chances of winning? Roughly 50/50. The glass is half full. With a win, there will be loads of empty glasses!
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline BabsLFC

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: May 16, 2016, 10:39:53 am »
Will be in Venice of all places for this. Booked the trip before the semi-final, stupid enough not to have looked on a possible final date, so originally I'd be on a night train in northern Italy without any roaming data for the final. It was possible to book another night and another train thankfully. Can't seem to find the thread which lists places around the world to watch games so: can someone recommend a place in Venice?

Hi mate, I was there during Christmas in 2013 when we played Stoke away I think? I realised quickly that the Italians dont give a shit about the English Football and I found it hard to find a place to watch our game. After going into a few places, I stumbled across an Irish Pub not far from our hotel in Canneregio(Spelling?) on Strada Nuova, kinda on the McNasty's side but further up. Hope it helps!

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: May 16, 2016, 10:41:22 am »
There is a feeling of momentum with this competition and I would say our route has been significantly more difficult than Sevilla's.

They are clearly handy upfront but on neutral ground I'm not sure they are as intimidating as they would be at home but like most others I dont know much about our opponents.

I think we have a plan B if its not going well if we throw on Benteke (or more unlikely Origi) which gives me reasurrance.

My biggest concern is this team getting over the finishing line and that winning mentality.

I think if we play as we have done we should come out as winners.

2 - 0 to us with Firmino and Phil getting the goals

Offline Ravenite

• Main Stander
  • Pride
« Reply #203 on: May 16, 2016, 10:44:28 am »
Will be in Venice of all places for this. Booked the trip before the semi-final, stupid enough not to have looked on a possible final date, so originally I'd be on a night train in northern Italy without any roaming data for the final. It was possible to book another night and another train thankfully. Can't seem to find the thread which lists places around the world to watch games so: can someone recommend a place in Venice?

Devil's Forest Pub- google map it when you are in the center. It is easy to access and they have several screens.

I was there in 14/15 and went early in the morning, spoke to the staff and they accommodated three league games later that afternoon in on a screen in front of a booth I managed to book.

The staff speak fluent english and they have a vast selection of craft beers- bear in mind the staff like to have a laugh at your expense (all in good fun).

I would suggest going early as the pub fills up quickly as the day wears on.
Xbox One: McCare

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: May 16, 2016, 10:48:20 am »
Let's twat these twats

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #205 on: May 16, 2016, 10:56:19 am »
I am shaking already with excitement. Cleared my entire day so I can make sure I'm home in plenty of time to see the lead up and match.

This is one of those games where the shittiest, jammiest win is perfectly acceptable!

Don't care about the performance

Don't care how we score

Don't care about who plays shit (don't think anyone will though)

I just...

Don't care about anything else other than the win. By any means necessary. And I'm not an advocate of that any other time. We need this more than ever.

Come on Redmen - you can bring this on. After what we've achieved in getting there, I'm afraid nothing but the win will do or it'll all be for nought.

The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: May 16, 2016, 10:57:33 am »
Less than 57 hours...
I can't see anything but a win. There is absolutely no way we are losing this now. Klopp will have the players fired up like there is no tomorrow. There have been a lot of oppo team managers mentioning they couldn't deal with our pressing. Same shall be the case on Wednesday.

Let's bring the cup home. COME ON REDMEN!

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: May 16, 2016, 11:03:28 am »
We need this more than ever.
Come on Redmen - you can bring this on. After what we've achieved in getting there, I'm afraid nothing but the win will do or it'll all be for nought.

Yeah, feels like that somehow. A European trophy in Klopp's first season would be brilliant.  I think the effect on the squad and potential new transfers would be immense. 
And considering a dismal league season, we really need this victory!
Get the trophy, get some good players in over the summer and let's go for the bigger prizes next season.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: May 16, 2016, 11:03:28 am »
Glad I checked the calendar again as was planning on watching the game Thursday night as per the rest of my season's sittings when a mate said its on Wed night. I am always late to the party and to be honest if it meant seeing them in a repeat showing 24 hours later to guarantee a win the  sign me up :)

Have not got a clue on Sevilla but got to feel their pedigree in EL has them as firm favourites. They have had something like 5 final appearances in the past decade in the most grueling Cup competition to win, feck me that is some standard they have set. Looking forward to a great night of football and don't see this game panning out as a boring 1-0. Might even go to penalties which I don't fancy too much as really hope the result is sorted out in our favour before then.....of course I may yet be on my knees yet pleading for a injury time equalizer so we can get to penos.

The team pretty much picks itself right now as same team again from the last match will be the way to go and great to see our bench options improve even more if Henderson & Ings are fit enough to travel.

YNWA will be belting out in Basel.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline mabbympb

• Branded he was a man who ran!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red and White Kop
    • Instagram
« Reply #209 on: May 16, 2016, 11:07:48 am »
My worries, pre-game are the usual suspects ---> 

1.  Alberto Moreno
2.  Set plays

On the other side of the coin, we have

1.  Jurgen's Gegen Ze
2.  Brazilian Magic
3.  Plan B if the first two do not work

C'mon you Reds!  I know --- days early.... but want this one bad
3. A tactical blunder (like playing no striker, or failing to change a system which isn't working)

Being under the age of 30, I haven't witnessed Liverpool sweep aside many in finals. Every final going seems to be done the hardway, win or lose.

I can only recall the Worthington cup final of 2002 which had a comfortable scoreline, but cannot remember too much of the game itself? Everything since seems to have gone the distance right to the final whistle one way or another (05, 06, 07, 2012 vs Cardiff on pens, Andy Carroll's late salvage attempt in the FA cup, 2016 defeat to Man city pens)

Before that there was the 3 finals in 2001 (golden goal, pens, and owens late show), 96 (late cantona goal), 95 (Making hard work of a lower division side, macca saving the day). So do the older generation have supreme confidence in finals? Or has it always been done the hardway? (ET wins in the 80's in FA cup etc)??
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 11:13:37 am by mabbympb »

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #210 on: May 16, 2016, 11:12:22 am »
There will be a few bars showing it I would imagine mate. I managed to watch a few of our games during the run in of 13/14 in a little golf club in a village across the water from Venice. I went out on the lash in the centre of Venice a couple of times as well and I do seem to recall seeing sports, football and sky sports etc being advertised in a few places. Just ask around while you're there mate if no-one on here knows.

Oh, and be prepared to spend a fair few bob on beer if you're drinking.

Thanks mate. Yeah, I figured it's a bit pricey. There will be a couple of pints for the nerves and then a couple to celebrate should we win it.  :)

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=120287.msg14652692#top  :wave

:thumbup
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 11:15:15 am by telekon »
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline ★deb★, please ?

• Anny Roader
« Reply #211 on: May 16, 2016, 11:15:26 am »
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 11:18:33 am by ★deb★, please ? »

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #212 on: May 16, 2016, 11:18:50 am »
5am kick off here. Because of these times watching on iPad with ear phones is the only option. Full boar in my study. But  it all goes tits up when I scream my head off I.e. Lovren....have scared the shit out of the wife and kids before whilst sleeping....happy to do it again. Scotch and pizza @ 5am....nowt wrong with that is there ? 😊
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #213 on: May 16, 2016, 11:30:03 am »
Hi mate, I was there during Christmas in 2013 when we played Stoke away I think? I realised quickly that the Italians dont give a shit about the English Football and I found it hard to find a place to watch our game. After going into a few places, I stumbled across an Irish Pub not far from our hotel in Canneregio(Spelling?) on Strada Nuova, kinda on the McNasty's side but further up. Hope it helps!

Devil's Forest Pub- google map it when you are in the center. It is easy to access and they have several screens.

I was there in 14/15 and went early in the morning, spoke to the staff and they accommodated three league games later that afternoon in on a screen in front of a booth I managed to book.

The staff speak fluent english and they have a vast selection of craft beers- bear in mind the staff like to have a laugh at your expense (all in good fun).

Thanks guys!
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: May 16, 2016, 11:33:13 am »
We haven't come this far just to throw it away now. All that we've been through with the mancs and Dortmund, we're not going to climb the mountain and in the final few steps decide we've done enough and turn around.

We're winning this cup, end of story.

Having said that, we are Liverpool, we don't do finals the easy way. When is the last time we had an "easy" final? Maybe the mancs in the league cup 14 years ago? Probably Sunderland in the FA cup 24 years ago. In between we've had far too many close games, extra time, penalties, making tough work out of teams we should be putting away easily. I don't think my nerves can take another final like those.

The football gods owe us an easy game. All the close finals that we've had to endure over the past couple of decades. Is it too much to want just one of these finals to be a nice relaxing affair with us in control for the entire game.

Let's fucking win this redmen and this time next year we'll be discussing going for our sixth european cup.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: May 16, 2016, 12:12:25 pm »
Watching some of the comp videos - it was some of our most up and down players that helped us get out of the group stages - both Ibe and Benteke had game winning goals that led to 6 points instead of settling for 2 - and likely not advancing.  The entire team has had a part to play in this run.

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: May 16, 2016, 12:34:47 pm »
We haven't come this far just to throw it away now. All that we've been through with the mancs and Dortmund, we're not going to climb the mountain and in the final few steps decide we've done enough and turn around.

We're winning this cup, end of story.

Having said that, we are Liverpool, we don't do finals the easy way. When is the last time we had an "easy" final? Maybe the mancs in the league cup 14 years ago? Probably Sunderland in the FA cup 24 years ago. In between we've had far too many close games, extra time, penalties, making tough work out of teams we should be putting away easily. I don't think my nerves can take another final like those.

The football gods owe us an easy game. All the close finals that we've had to endure over the past couple of decades. Is it too much to want just one of these finals to be a nice relaxing affair with us in control for the entire game.

Let's fucking win this redmen and this time next year we'll be discussing going for our sixth european cup.

Although the 2-0 scoreline vs Man Utd in the league cup looks "routine", I can remember the game itself being horrendous to watch - we were  under a lot of pressure for vast amounts of the game. Certainly not an easy one.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 12:36:20 pm by Robert_B »

Offline IgoDirk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: May 16, 2016, 12:42:54 pm »
Although the 2-0 scoreline vs Man Utd in the league cup looks "routine", I can remember the game itself being horrendous to watch - we were  under a lot of pressure for vast amounts of the game. Certainly not an easy one.

You're right, we went 2-0 up in the 86th minute and Dudek was man of the match.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #218 on: May 16, 2016, 12:43:22 pm »
Migs
Clyne Lovren Toure Moreno
Can Milner
Lallana Firmino Countinho
Sturridge

Bogdan / Ward; Skrtel; Leiva; Allen; Hendo; Origi / Benteke; Ibe;

Origi will be on bench if fit.  Benteke may then lose out.  I can see a Leiva rather than another out and out young defender such as Brad Smith.  Not sure about midfield  / attacking balance - if the line up is right, it is attacking, so we might have just two attackers on bench I think (Ibe and Origi / Benteke)

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #219 on: May 16, 2016, 12:53:36 pm »
I'm smelling a 3-1 win for us. Sturridge, Coutinho and a Milner pen late on
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: May 16, 2016, 01:42:42 pm »
Absolutely loved reading that op. Got me hairs on end.

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #221 on: May 16, 2016, 01:50:59 pm »
Had one of those mega vivid dreams last night, 4-1 win to us with Coutinho, Milner, Sturridge and Firmino bagging the goals after go one down early on. It'll no doubt be total bollocks, but I'd take that right now.

Having said that, Sevilla have been porous in recent weeks, so there is definitely an opportunity there to be had. Fuck, even Valencia beat them. Two wins in their last 10 in all competitions, scoring 11 goals in the process and conceding 18. We've won 6 out of our last 10 in all competitions, scoring 24 goals in the process and conceding 13. Considering we are just about at full strength, well rested and having already experienced a cup final defeat this season with no real desire to repeat that, no doubt it will be a nil-nil borefest that will go to penalties.

Actually no, I'll tip my hat at 3-1 to us. The Dortmund and Villarreal games will have done us the world of good - if we can beat them, we should be seeing off Sevilla. Should be...

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: May 16, 2016, 01:55:02 pm »
Cup Finals are never easy. One would have thought that everyone involved in a final should be thinking to themselves, we fought so hard to get here we are not going to lose this now. I would like it to be easy, but I doubt it.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #223 on: May 16, 2016, 01:55:02 pm »
Just watched the 2001 highlights again, how the hell did their keeper not get a red for that foul on Owen?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline marios_moustache

• Kopite
« Reply #224 on: May 16, 2016, 02:04:05 pm »
Migs
Clyne Lovren Toure Moreno
Can Milner
Lallana Firmino Countinho
Sturridge

Bogdan / Ward; Skrtel; Leiva; Allen; Hendo; Origi / Benteke; Ibe;

Origi will be on bench if fit.  Benteke may then lose out.  I can see a Leiva rather than another out and out young defender such as Brad Smith.  Not sure about midfield  / attacking balance - if the line up is right, it is attacking, so we might have just two attackers on bench I think (Ibe and Origi / Benteke)

Who is this Leiva chap?

Offline Magz50

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: May 16, 2016, 02:06:35 pm »
Let's smash these twats!!

Online Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: May 16, 2016, 02:17:07 pm »
Have to admit I will be devastated if we don't bring home this trophy.

Seville are a good team, but are no top top team ala Barca or Bayern.  We really should be beating them.

Whilst anything can happen in a one off game.....what a chance for us on Wednesday!!

Ridiculously excited!

Offline redandy

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #227 on: May 16, 2016, 02:17:45 pm »
Maybe i'm being over optimistic but I think we will win this comfortably.  Can't be argued that we have a habit of doing things the hard way but something in me says with our route to the final, Klopp's first season and the way we press teams we will have them on the back foot from the off.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #228 on: May 16, 2016, 02:30:36 pm »
What is this strange tingling sensation?  It feels vaguely familiar.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #229 on: May 16, 2016, 02:33:13 pm »
Feeling calm....for now.

With the teams we've beaten to get to this Final, there's no reason for the players and supporters to be anything but confident.

I know those games count for nothing in a one-off match, and I'm not underestimating Seville for one second. But we need to have that belief. Go one-nil down? No problem, we needed three against one of the best teams on the continent. And got them.

Remember who we are and what we've achieved to get to Basel....then go out there and twat them!

Online koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #230 on: May 16, 2016, 02:34:27 pm »
Apologies if it's been mentioned elsewhere but the club charging £50 to watch a big screen at the ground is an absolute scandal. Every time you think they've seen sense on one issue out comes shite like this.
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #231 on: May 16, 2016, 02:41:26 pm »
Apologies if it's been mentioned elsewhere but the club charging £50 to watch a big screen at the ground is an absolute scandal. Every time you think they've seen sense on one issue out comes shite like this.
Have you got a rogue zero in that post mate?

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #232 on: May 16, 2016, 02:41:42 pm »

To be fair it looks like it's more of a hospitality type of do, hot and cold buffet, complementary glass of the house red, Phil Neal telling the same stories all over again. I'm sure some people will like the idea. Not me mind you, I'll be in a pub with my brother and some mates. The only hot buffet I'll be having is a chicken shwarma when I'm trying to stay upright on the way home.

Offline Callaghan.

• Enjoys a roasted nut (preferably the 'TonyTheRedNosedReindeer' variety)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: May 16, 2016, 02:47:29 pm »

Nice one. Info added to Europe: Israel to Wales (Guide to watching Liverpool around the world)

Online koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #234 on: May 16, 2016, 02:52:46 pm »
To be fair it looks like it's more of a hospitality type of do, hot and cold buffet, complementary glass of the house red, Phil Neal telling the same stories all over again. I'm sure some people will like the idea. Not me mind you, I'll be in a pub with my brother and some mates. The only hot buffet I'll be having is a chicken shwarma when I'm trying to stay upright on the way home.

Fair enough, still seems somewhat extortionate mind. 
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #235 on: May 16, 2016, 02:57:34 pm »
When does the squad travel out there? Tomorrow?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #236 on: May 16, 2016, 03:00:16 pm »
When does the squad travel out there? Tomorrow?

Pretty sure I read it was today.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #237 on: May 16, 2016, 03:06:33 pm »
Pretty sure I read it was today.

Haven't seen any pictures of them going/arriving. Maybe this evening... I think that's when it will feel real for a lot of us.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: May 16, 2016, 03:07:27 pm »
Heavy metal football required.

We saw what high tempo does to Spanish teams. Not the slow shite we saw in first leg of semi.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: May 16, 2016, 03:38:12 pm »
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/liverpool-fc-mignolet-doesnt-want-11339129

Mignolet doesn't want to be the hero in Europa League final

Mignolet has no interest in being Liverpool hero in Europa League final

Simon Mignolet insists he has no interest in being a hero for Liverpool in the Europa League final, admitting he would happily concede four if his side scored five.

In a campaign which has seen the Belgian sign a new long-term deal with the club, Mignolet has been an ever-present on the Reds’ route to the final, keeping crucial clean sheets in the home wins against Manchester United and Villarreal.

Liverpool goalkeepers have been match-winners in European finals before, with Bruce Grobbelaar and Jerzy Dudek both performing penalty shoot-out heroics in Rome and Istanbul respectively.

Despite the esteem both are held in – as well as the winners’ medal won – Mignolet is not thinking about emulating them, with victory in a nine-goal thriller enough to satisfy him.

“One thing I’d like to make clear is that I don’t want to be a hero in the final,” he said. “I don’t think it’s important for any individual to do that.

“Of course people will decide games like any other but what is most important to me is that we win the final. It doesn’t matter in what kind of way.

“For example, the Norwich game. We conceded four goals but we won the game 5-4 and if we did that again in the final I would be the happiest man on the planet. Winning the final is all important. “Being the hero doesn’t make any difference to me. It can go to extra time and penalties and then of course I would get the chance to help the team and be decisive, but hopefully we can win it inside 90 minutes.”

Liverpool will meet Sevilla in Basel with the chance to end their 11-year wait for a European trophy, their last coming in Istanbul in 2005.

Dudek wrote himself into the history books with his saves against AC Milan, and Mignolet admits the Pole was a hero of his growing up.

Mignolet accepts memories of Istanbul are inevitable in the build-up to this final, but won’t be wobbling his legs – a la Grobbelaar and Dudek – if Wednesday’s final goes to penalties.

“I know Dudek spoke well about me this week which is always nice to hear,” he added. “I want to thank him for that as he was one of my heroes when I was younger because of what he did in that Champions League final.

“One of our rituals as a family in Belgium was to get together to watch the Champions League final. I remember the weather was really good in 2005 so we put the television in the garden and I watched it until late with my brother and my dad.

“At half-time you don’t think it’s going to happen for Liverpool but then they turned it around. Dudek didn’t only make great penalties in the shoot-out but he made a few before that. The final could have been finished before penalties but for his double save from Shevchenko.

“Then he put the strikers off in the shoot-out and delivered for his team and his club.

“I’ve seen what Grobbelaar did against Roma too but I don’t think I’ve got the shaky legs! Let’s leave it there!

“There is so much pressure on the penalty taker so I suppose anything that puts him off will help.”