Author Topic: Getting angry at the right people - just lock it  (Read 213166 times)

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
BHAS - I'll do it, not done any photoshopping at all for this campaign, not had the time. What you want doing to it?

was just going to get reverse the image, make the image red and lob a beret on the bird.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

royhendo

Just a small update guys , have had some time to play around with FB apps , and I think I am ready to create a few apps that might raise eyebrows / increase exposure.

Y'all agree I should start with the ticker thingie regarding how much interest we are paying each day?

Brilliant mate - yeah, that would be excellent!

Offline Zappa

• Old OCB Rep
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shankly's man 60yrs served come December
There's this Robert Willowsky guy writing for the dallas observer blog that has reported the fan uprising against Hicks reasonably well down the years.

www.dallasobserver.com/related/to/Liverpool+FC

I thought of trying to contact him to get the message across the US media regarding the exact nature of our finances and selling price, but I get the sense the SOS have been dealing with him also. If this is so, I doubt he needs any more from our side.

There are some decent US reporters / bloggers out there.

Ignore the "Can't do any harm".

Absolutely key to success is taking the fight into their own backyard.

If you can stir up the US media it'll have far more impact on H&G than anything we do here.

Not belittling what we do here - worth doing and I'm doin what I can BUT H&G are nicely cocooned far away.
From what I've seen the US media is buying the "The sale of LFC will sort out the problems with his Yank sports franchises" that Hicks in particular is spouting.
A lot of the US media are parochial and won't wander far for a story - but if we can take it to them we might just get coverage way beyond what we'll ever get here (short of burning Anfield down or putting a contract out on H&G).

Please go for it
There ain't no money in poetry
That's what sets the poet free
I've had all the freedom I can stand

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Just a small update guys , have had some time to play around with FB apps , and I think I am ready to create a few apps that might raise eyebrows / increase exposure.

Y'all agree I should start with the ticker thingie regarding how much interest we are paying each day?

For sure. As someone mentioned earlier, an idea for a ticker to start as soon as someone logs onto the saveliverpoolfcpage, it computes to an addition of around 1.27 pounds per second I think. I was told by roy that a few guys are working on getting the non-interactive figures posted.

Any ideas you / anyone has for variations on the ticker would be useful too.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

If you can stir up the US media it'll have far more impact on H&G than anything we do here.

Not belittling what we do here - worth doing and I'm doin what I can BUT H&G are nicely cocooned far away.
From what I've seen the US media is buying the "The sale of LFC will sort out the problems with his Yank sports franchises" that Hicks in particular is spouting.
A lot of the US media are parochial and won't wander far for a story - but if we can take it to them we might just get coverage way beyond what we'll ever get here (short of burning Anfield down or putting a contract out on H&G).

Please go for it

I agree with the sentiments, which is why I'll continue trawling the US media for openings. But as Paul from SOS mentioned on this thread earlier, they're already in contact with him. I trust them to keep the journo fully informed on club matters and to raise issues as necessary, I think me working on him would be overload.

It'll add to the number of Liverpool friendly American journos if we can link with someone 'new'.

Offline Mike Doyle

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Good campaign this, just sorted the email out then, keep up the good work lads !

Offline MidwestWool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wool
On the part of getting US-based journos into the story, we should contact the US-based supporters' clubs. I'm sure plenty of them have contacts in the media in the US.

Offline kitster

• RAWK Graphic Guru
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter - @kitsterart
    • Kitster Art

That will have quite an impact i think. Definitely worth a pop.

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Fantastic idea mate. The good thing about the Facebook page is that it can add third party applications, like this one. So we could add the ticker to the page and choose to send people to that tab when they first click on the link for the page. Could have a very big impact that!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
On the part of getting US-based journos into the story, we should contact the US-based supporters' clubs. I'm sure plenty of them have contacts in the media in the US.

Roy's covered most/all of them. There's a post a few pages back regarding the supporters clubs from the world over that have been contacted. One hell of an effort that.

That said, the ones contacted were supporters clubs only. There are still plenty of bloggers, smaller news media, online sports bulletins etc that we might get a link with. It'll help if a lot of us check through the rest (other than supporters clubs) in the US area, particularly Texas, and update as we go along so that we don't hassle the same guy thrice.

Make sure never to go with one email fits all, before we actually contact them check for any leanings towards Liverpool / more obviously against Hicks' work and try to take it from there.

Offline kwalitee, no?

• Believer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Kit, I remember you doing some phone screensavers a while back. I was wondering whether it would be possible/ worth doing something along those lines for this campaign? I know quite a few people who might have a screensaver on their phone that aren't on facebook for instance - old gits like me in other words. ;)

Also, phone screensavers seem quite popular with my daughter & her friends - teenagers

Offline El Rey, por favor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Don't think the beret works to be honest.
PLEASE DONATE TO MY LONDON MARATHON RUN IN AID OF CROHN'S AND COLITIS UK: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=312885

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI

Offline kitster

• RAWK Graphic Guru
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter - @kitsterart
    • Kitster Art
Kit, I remember you doing some phone screensavers a while back. I was wondering whether it would be possible/ worth doing something along those lines for this campaign? I know quite a few people who might have a screensaver on their phone that aren't on facebook for instance - old gits like me in other words. ;)

Also, phone screensavers seem quite popular with my daughter & her friends - teenagers

What sort of sizes?

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan

Not old gits also may not have a facebook account (or twitter) - like me ;)
I am only on Orkut - haven't used it for ages. Logged in today to post the letter in the Liverpool comm.
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline kwalitee, no?

• Believer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
What sort of sizes?

I'll have to check. Mine's a Nokia 6300  - does that help? I have a few LFC supporting friends with the same phones. I'll check with my daughter for the popular phones in her school later. There a quite a few LFC fans in there, that's where my current screensaver came from! Cheers.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
http://twitter.com/Cecil_Purslow

is tweeting about us, he is a fake purslow.
PLEASE DONATE TO MY LONDON MARATHON RUN IN AID OF CROHN'S AND COLITIS UK: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=312885

Offline Bullan

• I can't believe I ate the whole thing...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speed of The Sound Of Loneliness
For sure. As someone mentioned earlier, an idea for a ticker to start as soon as someone logs onto the saveliverpoolfcpage, it computes to an addition of around 1.27 pounds per second I think. I was told by roy that a few guys are working on getting the non-interactive figures posted.

Any ideas you / anyone has for variations on the ticker would be useful too.

Aight , the interactive bit is not that hard, im thinking to break down the 100 k number to hours and minutes, and should I just point the thing to saveliverpool page?
I hate every ape I see.
From chimpan-a to chimpan-z,
No, you'll never make a monkey out of me.
Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.
You finally made a monkey...

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
if our followers were debt we would have incurred £582 debt in 2 days. In theory H&G would now have 220,000 followers. #saveliverpoolfc #lfc

that's our recent tweet, quite clever i thought

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........

Please go for it

I think this is right. Take the fight to his own backyard. Hicks doesn't like us in his face here. How much better if he could see us staring out of his morning paper.

Also get him where he's vulnerable. The 'Dallas Morning News' quoted him as saying that although he's taken hits on the Texas Rangers and the Dallas Stars , he'll make a massive profit on Liverpool FC. That's not something he'd want to say to us of course, but back in Dallas there's only one thing on his mind. He wants to come out of this fiasco looking like a top-class, a shrewd, and a credit-worthy businessman. These things matter in his own backyard.

So let's let Dallas know what we think of him.

The 'Dallas Observer' fella is doing great work, but that's a freebie and an alternative scene paper. The one to get - the one that Hicks would read - is the 'Dallas Morning News'. That has the large circulation. It has the prestige.

My guess is that they wouldn't be interested in a piece on the woes of Liverpool FC as such. Remember - they're insular over there (some online readers even appear to think it's 'Manchester' that Hicks bought). What they might be interested in is an article from someone over here which appears to be about them.

To that end you could begin with three statements:

1) Anti-Americanism is sweeping the city of Liverpool  2) That's unusual because Liverpool has always loved the Yanks 3) This is the reason - when people think of America they think of yer man Tom Hicks....

And off you go. Obviously then the moral of the story is 'we love Americans really, but we - and the millions of Liverpool fans round the world - would like em a whole lot more if Tom Hicks left us alone'.

"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Looks much cleaner, what you fella think?

royhendo

Sorry Zappa I read your post then when I hit reply I was at Morpeth and it's a long time til civilization again. ;D

Here's wot I wrote then.

Please go for it

Well, if we do, we need to give them a story don't we? That's what we're working on. I've contacted a few journos and bloggers as suggested and thus far I've had nowt back, but we can keep trying - you guys could do that too quite easily.

We have to remember and maintain a tone that's not anti-american though. For that reason we need to just highlight lies and facts and duplicity/disrespect. So in that respect we're already doing that. It's focussed on the fans and as we always said, if we can, the media too. We've got Rory Smith apparently taking an interest (hi Rory if you're reading this) and likewise Oliver Kay (again - waddup dude!). We just need to keep chipping away at that and giving them nice shiny funny mischievous stories to take to their editors. We can do that because we're inventive - are we not?

What's trendy over there just now? We know our own zeitgeist and all that gubbins, but I personally couldn't tell you what could go viral in the USA. I'm getting old and assume they all just laugh at "I'm soooo not going to the Lakers game tonight Chandler".

royhendo

Looks much cleaner, what you fella think?

Coming on is that. I'd like the Liverbird to look a wee bit mischievous somehow, but not cartoony if that makes sense. It'd be a subtle change. Also the foliage placement is an issue... but still - starting to look quite nice that El Rey - nice juan.

Offline lilluisg

• Main Stander
  • He drinks sangria and sambuca and jaeger and cider
    • twitter

Please go for it

Zappa I think you misunderstood, when I said 'can't do any harm' I meant it wouldn't do us us any harm for surfer to email the aforementioned gentleman. ffs I'm all up for getting all the exposure we can.
Mamadou Sakho...

Poppadoo krosswordpuzzle

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Coming on is that. I'd like the Liverbird to look a wee bit mischievous somehow, but not cartoony if that makes sense. It'd be a subtle change. Also the foliage placement is an issue... but still - starting to look quite nice that El Rey - nice juan.

Foilage placement, what you want me to do with it? i can easy get rid...

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
Just a very rough idea...

"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

royhendo

A quick point on taking this to the USA.

We started out by spending a fair bit of time engaging with US-based RAWKites and got a fair bit of feedback along the lines of 'if you're going to make a go of it with fans over here, you'll need to be careful with your tone'. And rightly so - the idea on this particular campaign is to unite fans and be conciliatory wherever we need to be to that end. So with that in mind, we need to distill out anything that might make people hesitate to join really - at least the easy ones.

One of those is the sense that there's anti-Americanism. That's not true as such - it's just directed at two men, and one of them's Canadian.

I do agree with Yorky though that they're unlikely to be interested in an article about the woes of poor old Liverpool FC - their readership won't give a shit as a rule you'd expect, much like we barely register when something happens to the Montreal Canadiens.

I think if we go down that route, we need to focus on Hicks and the fact he's as Yorky says, a bad ambassador for a well-loved part of the world. That's down to his lies, his disrespect for the common working people of Merseyside, and his willingness to play a high stakes hand of poker with a piss poor hand while staking the thing that's taken an entire community generations to build up.

We'd also need to recognise the commercial improvements etc and present it as balanced. Sad to admit that, but it's true. The facts are enough though. It's possible to do it, but we need to tread carefully. I'd argue that we also need to focus on our own fans far more too.

royhendo

Excellent that Art mate.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
Just a very rough idea...

made me smile but I thought a picture of the new ground drawn in crayon by a five year old would be better :)
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

royhendo

Has everyone emailed their mates?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

read your PM's roy

Offline peelyon

• strangefruit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

Quite a lot of my mates are Reds but are pretty much in the dark about it all.  Sent them all a facebook invite and an email.  Keep up the good work Roy, top job!

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan

nobody said I had to have mates
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

Offline Netherton Lad

• Anny Roader
  • Bit of a c*nt from Lunt (Avenue)
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=1550773

Outside The Lines are looking for new stories to make programs on. Sent them a short email about Hicks and his involvement in Liverpool. They could tie us in with his ownership of the Texas Rangers and should bring about some bad publicity.

royhendo

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=1550773

Outside The Lines are looking for new stories to make programs on. Sent them a short email about Hicks and his involvement in Liverpool. They could tie us in with his ownership of the Texas Rangers and should bring about some bad publicity.

Good man - if we show how we're doing it in funny ways and we manage to get across that it's not anti-American, we'll get in there. We're working on some stuff along those lines.

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Has anyone spoken to or PM'd robbohuyton on here who organises the Well Red magazine so as they can put something in their fanzine for next month?

And what about RAOTL? not sure if anyone on here is involved with that one? Maybe they'd be up for giving us some space I there?

royhendo

Robbo has a double-page spread using the crying Liverbird and the bloodbag pic mate, and then a long, high quality series of pieces on the state of the club by some prominent writers. It's excellent and (hope it's OK to say this Gareth) our early efforts on the 1st thread helped get it done.

We need to focus on the financial facts at some stage and do the infographics. I need to post the cover of The Independent from earlier this week cos it had an interesting portrayal of a debt mountain that we could 'borrow' in some way.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
just joined facebook - i feel unclean and in need of a shower but I guess its for a good cause

royhendo

LOL good man - it does my fucking thruppenies in aswell.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Yes, and double doubled the people I know in America with strict instructions to forward on.