Author Topic: Jonjo Shelvey  (Read 81645 times)

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
Re: Reds confirm Shelvey sale to Swansea City
« Reply #360 on: February 24, 2014, 01:16:52 am »
Would of loved to see him do his celebration towards the Kop as a little joke  ;D

Exactly, of course he should have.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #361 on: February 24, 2014, 01:18:49 am »
Was a moment of rarity, to be honest. Class from both Jonjo and our fans. The mutual respect in such situations seems to be lost on the whole. Last time I remember something similar was when Robbie Keane scored at the Annie Road end on the last day of the season in 08/09.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #362 on: February 24, 2014, 01:20:46 am »
Really nice lad. So much respect when he scored. Great fucking goal, too. Asshole always turns up against us.  >:(
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: February 24, 2014, 01:21:08 am »
Was a moment of rarity, to be honest. Class from both Jonjo and our fans. The mutual respect in such situations seems to be lost on the whole. Last time I remember something similar was when Robbie Keane scored at the Annie Road end on the last day of the season in 08/09.

Why is it classy not to celebrate? It's bullshit. You're a footballer, you've scored a goal for the team that pays your wages, and the fans that have paid to watch you play, go fucking nuts.

It's not like we're battling relegation or something, we don't need pity from a lad who wasn't quite up to the grade for us.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: February 24, 2014, 01:22:06 am »
Really nice lad. So much respect when he scored. Great fucking goal, too. Asshole always turns up against us.  >:(
Aye

he appears to up his game against us.
That's two good goals against us now
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline BUSHMILLS

• PEBBLEHOUSE. Your auntie's agent provocateur.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never ask what's under his patio
« Reply #365 on: February 24, 2014, 01:29:54 am »
Why is it classy not to celebrate? It's bullshit. You're a footballer, you've scored a goal for the team that pays your wages, and the fans that have paid to watch you play, go fucking nuts.

It's not like we're battling relegation or something, we don't need pity from a lad who wasn't quite up to the grade for us.

'Pity'? Where do you get that from?

He was a player who always tried his hardest for us, who appreciated the support the fans gave him when he was here, and who never wanted to leave.

His reluctance to celebrate, and the crowd's applause, was a show of mutual respect.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: February 24, 2014, 01:37:50 am »

He was a player who always tried his hardest for us, who appreciated the support the fans gave him when he was here, and who never wanted to leave.

His reluctance to celebrate, and the crowd's applause, was a show of mutual respect.

And if he had celebrated, would you have respected him any less? It's bollocks. Oh, I can't hurt the feeling of the fans who used to like me in case they don't like me any more. If you want to not score against us in the first place, that might be helpful, but pretending you didn't want to score a goal, when that is all you are fucking good for in the first place...

Don't get me wrong, I like Jonjo, and he's not the only one who has picked up on this weird little trend, but it's not for me. Fair enough if the goal is going to send your childhood club down to the conference or something, but we're Liverpool FC, we can take it.

It's more upsetting that someone scores than that they celebrate it.
It's his job to entertain his own club's fans, not worry about hurting ours' feelings.

We'd get over it. Well, I'd hope we would. Because frankly, it's slightly insulting to suggest otherwise.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Pricey

• Might actually be Petey.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: February 24, 2014, 01:42:30 am »
Selling Shelvey and buying Luis Alberto. Apparently great business according to some on here.

Alberto apparently has a higher ceiling as a player. Where was Alberto btw? Didn't make the match squad because a youth player is better than him. Top bit of business that.

Had a little smile to myself when Shelvey scored and applauded as did many around me. Great lad, good player and a frankly stupid decision to sell him. Loan him out if he wanted games, but why sell him. 

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: February 24, 2014, 01:44:58 am »
Selling Shelvey and buying Luis Alberto. Apparently great business according to some on here.

Yes. Definitely.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #369 on: February 24, 2014, 01:46:00 am »
Always liked Jonjo. Frustrating as hell, though.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #370 on: February 24, 2014, 01:47:52 am »

Alberto apparently has a higher ceiling as a player. Where was Alberto btw? Didn't make the match squad because a youth player is better than him. Top bit of business that.

Had a little smile to myself when Shelvey scored and applauded as did many around me. Great lad, good player and a frankly stupid decision to sell him. Loan him out if he wanted games, but why sell him. 
How many times are you going to come up with that crap? How many times have you seen the answer but chose to ignore it? Jonjo wanted to play every game. It was never going to happen here, so he left reluctantly. Gerrard advised him to stay, but he didn't. Players are not slaves, you know, they have to think about their careers too.

Why can't you just take your hat off to Jonjo's goal - a masterpiece of a shot - and move on...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
« Reply #371 on: February 24, 2014, 01:48:36 am »
lets not make this about luis.

every manager get transfers wrong from time to time.

He was a good player for us..as brendan said "Jonjo..you got all the tools.."

Offline Pricey

• Might actually be Petey.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: February 24, 2014, 01:49:56 am »
How many times are you going to come up with that crap? How many times have you seen the answer but chose to ignore it? Jonjo wanted to play every game. It was never going to happen here, so he left reluctantly. Gerrard advised him to stay, but he didn't. Players are not slaves, you know, they have to think about their careers too.

Why can't you just take your hat off to Jonjo's goal - a masterpiece of a shot - and move on...

Because if he wanted games we should have loaned him out, not sold him. Were we that desperate for 7 million quid?

I did take my hat off to his goal, i stood up and clapped at it while stood on the Kop, is that good enough?

I was pissed off when we sold him, and i'm pissed off i had to watch him smash the ball into the top corner for Swansea while his replacement watched the game on TV. It pissed me off.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #373 on: February 24, 2014, 01:50:22 am »
Wasn't his biggest fan when he was here, but I'll tell you what, he certainly looks a player. Bundles of talent and great attitude.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #374 on: February 24, 2014, 01:51:38 am »
Because if he wanted games we should have loaned him out, not sold him. Were we that desperate for 7 million quid?

I did take my hat off to his goal, i stood up and clapped at it while stood on the Kop, is that good enough?

I was pissed off when we sold him, and i'm pissed off i had to watch him smash the ball into the top corner for Swansea while his replacement watched the game on TV. It pissed me off.
And did he want to go on loan?
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Pople

• Main Stander
« Reply #375 on: February 24, 2014, 02:00:08 am »
And if he had celebrated, would you have respected him any less? It's bollocks. Oh, I can't hurt the feeling of the fans who used to like me in case they don't like me any more. If you want to not score against us in the first place, that might be helpful, but pretending you didn't want to score a goal, when that is all you are fucking good for in the first place...

Don't get me wrong, I like Jonjo, and he's not the only one who has picked up on this weird little trend, but it's not for me. Fair enough if the goal is going to send your childhood club down to the conference or something, but we're Liverpool FC, we can take it.

It's more upsetting that someone scores than that they celebrate it.
It's his job to entertain his own club's fans, not worry about hurting ours' feelings.

We'd get over it. Well, I'd hope we would. Because frankly, it's slightly insulting to suggest otherwise.

I get where you're coming from, especially with Shelvey, because we didn't bring him through, he was a Charlton product. In the case of someone like Joe Cole scoring against West Ham, who developed him and basically made him what he is, I can understand the player not celebrating. It's meant as a sign of respect, not rubbing it back in the face of a club who gave you your career in football.

Online Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: February 24, 2014, 02:34:43 am »
Brilliant goal and class response from Anfield.  All the best to him.  Wish he'd stop scoring against us though :).

Offline serpentnebula

• Main Stander
« Reply #377 on: February 24, 2014, 02:57:16 am »
I never wanted him to leave. When you analyze how well he's done for Swansea and how poorly Alberto, his replacement, has done for us, it seems we made a mistake letting him go. Every club makes mistakes in the market; I think that might have been our biggest under BR. We've not made many though, and hopefully it stays that way.

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: February 24, 2014, 03:06:57 am »
I never wanted him to leave. When you analyze how well he's done for Swansea and how poorly Alberto, his replacement, has done for us, it seems we made a mistake letting him go. Every club makes mistakes in the market; I think that might have been our biggest under BR. We've not made many though, and hopefully it stays that way.

Why didn't anyone tell me the club decided to swap Shelvey for Alberto.

Here's me just thinking they were two seperate bits of business.

Offline apocalypse

• Kopite
« Reply #379 on: February 24, 2014, 03:10:04 am »
fuck me! why do some feel the need to accompany some Shelvey praise with slating Alberto? Just always need to bitch and moan about something

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: February 24, 2014, 03:14:19 am »
Anybody got a clue why he was subbed off at half time?

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #381 on: February 24, 2014, 03:17:36 am »
Anybody got a clue why he was subbed off at half time?

Apparently was feeling his hamstring a little bit. Was playing really well before he went off, luckily for us he didn't come back for the second half

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: February 24, 2014, 03:27:19 am »
When you analyze how well he's done for Swansea and how poorly Alberto, his replacement, has done for us,
Alberto has not been poor. He's a young, very promising player who has had more ups than downs. Why the need to stick a knife in him when you say something positive about Jonjo?
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline swordfishtrombone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: February 24, 2014, 03:44:40 am »
Do we really need a thread on the main forum for a former Liverpool player? There doesn't seem to be much good coming from it.

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #384 on: February 24, 2014, 03:48:51 am »
Played quite well, seeing as this thread has made it's way back on to the billboard. I'm guessing it'll settle along with the dust only to be resurrected when he plays us again. Nice goal. Hope he does well at Swansea.

Offline WorriedForTheLads

• Main Stander
« Reply #385 on: February 24, 2014, 03:51:24 am »
He was dominating Gerrard today. 

Offline Advil

• The Pain in Houllier's Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kopite Family
« Reply #386 on: February 24, 2014, 04:10:51 am »
I sincerely hope we got a buy back clause inserted. When Gerrard hangs his boot, we buy him back. A gem of a player even if he looks like a serial murderer.
None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignorant man treats women disgracefully.
-Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Offline Arcadian

• Makes pissed even when sense!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Be the change you want to see in the world...
« Reply #387 on: February 24, 2014, 04:14:08 am »

Fuck it mate, some just don't get it... I appreciate it though.

*                         *                           *                            *                         *

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #388 on: February 24, 2014, 04:48:02 am »
Class display from Jonjo. I thought he would go on to be a player for us but he just never seemed composed, calm or intelligent enough to fit our style of play. Still not convinced he'll ever be that but he looked fantastic. Hope he pushes on and really makes a huge name for himself.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #389 on: February 24, 2014, 04:52:10 am »
Him having a go at Taggart will always be his finest moment.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Advil

• The Pain in Houllier's Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kopite Family
« Reply #390 on: February 24, 2014, 04:58:22 am »
Him having a go at Taggart will always be his finest moment.

Taggart retired a few mths later. Might have been because of Shelvey.
None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignorant man treats women disgracefully.
-Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Offline RoshanA

• Shows some fawcets of Paul Merson's character. Rashid clone. Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour
  • Kopite
« Reply #391 on: February 24, 2014, 05:05:41 am »

Agreed.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #392 on: February 24, 2014, 05:44:18 am »

What kind of twisted worldview do you have for fucks sake?

he was showing respect to the fans. The fans appreciated it. Thats all.

Phuk yoo

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #393 on: February 24, 2014, 05:48:16 am »
Loves raising his game against us.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: February 24, 2014, 07:00:50 am »
He told ferguson to fuck off.
The lad deserves eternal respect from us all for that. That act alone was worth a place in the squad.

Offline TarkaLFC

• Main Stander
  • Valour is superior to numbers.
« Reply #395 on: February 24, 2014, 07:36:03 am »
In the games I've seen Shelvey has been playing a deep lying playmaker role for Swansea.   Would he get in the LFC team in that position ahead of Gerrard - of course not. 

It was only fair to let him leave and florish elsewhere.  We arent Chelsea and shouldn't file decent players away in our reserves or on loan at Everton.
Currently living overseas.

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #396 on: February 24, 2014, 07:43:46 am »
Decent player and great goal, but I trust the manager and if he believes Luis Alberto will be a better player for our style than Jonjo then fair play, I think the managers decision will pay off.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: February 24, 2014, 08:40:54 am »
Swansea have built their whole side around him and Bony and you can see Shelvey has the lisence to pop up anywhere and all the play goes through him. If he stayed here he wouldn't have been allowed that luxury so selling him for a decent amount was fair enough, and it's good to see him get games and playing well, but let's not pretend he is world class and should have kept him

Offline ThepepeReina

• Space Cadet with a monoflatulent other half
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: February 24, 2014, 08:48:09 am »
Wouldnt get a game in our midfield even with a couple of injuries, as he was frustrating as hell. Always had strikes like that in his locker, wasn't enough for title contenders.
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: February 24, 2014, 08:56:25 am »
He's noy very consistent at all, his tackling is very rash and positioning is out of sorts, if you've watched him this season. But that goal was brilliant, something Suarez would be proud of.