Author Topic: Holidays 2024 - What's your plans?  (Read 9419 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Holidays 2024 - What's your plans?
« on: September 28, 2023, 10:38:26 am »
Might seem a bit early, but my missus books everything miles in advance. So far, we've got:-

February - week in Tenerife, staying just outside Fanabe for the first time.

May - Portugal, staying at a hotel we stayed in back in 2008, on the Algarve

August - Kids got bored during the school holidays, so she decided we're going back to Heraklion in Crete

October - working out where to go............
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Holidays 2024 - What's your plans?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2023, 10:58:08 am »

August - Kids got bored during the school holidays, so she decided we're going back to Heraklion in Crete

Where are you off to Rob?  We've booked Crete with the daughter her husband and 3 grandkids in July.

We are on a resort with a waterpark and stuff about 20 miles along the coast from Heraklion.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2023, 11:14:32 am »
Where are you off to Rob?  We've booked Crete with the daughter her husband and 3 grandkids in July.

We are on a resort with a waterpark and stuff about 20 miles along the coast from Heraklion.

Little place called Bellos Apartments, its about a 10 minute walk from the town. We go to the Aphrodite water park, its massive and great.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 12:23:40 pm »
Two cruises booked , first in April Dubai to Southampton inc a stop in Oman , Jordan , transit the suez , then a few European stops . Then a weeks cruise to the fjords in august .

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2023, 12:39:34 pm »
Our youngest does her GCSE's next summer and, as our eldest will have finished her 2nd year at uni by mid-June, we're taking advantage of being able to have a holiday outside the school holidays. As soon as our youngest's Prom weekend is over, we're off to Tenerife, staying at the Iberostar Selection Anthelia.

Looks a nice place and gets great reviews on Trip Advisor. The aim was to go All-Inclusive as we all love the sense of freedom that that brings, and if it's a reasonable extra cost, I know that me and the missus at least would more than get our money's worth on drink alone. The upgrade on this, however, was almost £2k for 5 nights (from the B&B option)

:o

Screw that. We won't spend anything like that B&B, and we'll have the chance to eat at different places.

Not sure where we're going in the summer holidays, though. It'll be somewhere in the UK and with the dog. Me and our eldest want to go back to the NW of Scotland; wife and youngest really don't (youngest wants Devon/Cornwall, which I'm cool with, although cottages/lodges, especially with a hot tub, are bloody pricey)
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2023, 01:03:49 pm »
Our youngest does her GCSE's next summer and, as our eldest will have finished her 2nd year at uni by mid-June, we're taking advantage of being able to have a holiday outside the school holidays. As soon as our youngest's Prom weekend is over, we're off to Tenerife, staying at the Iberostar Selection Anthelia.

Looks a nice place and gets great reviews on Trip Advisor. The aim was to go All-Inclusive as we all love the sense of freedom that that brings, and if it's a reasonable extra cost, I know that me and the missus at least would more than get our money's worth on drink alone. The upgrade on this, however, was almost £2k for 5 nights (from the B&B option)

Screw that. We won't spend anything like that B&B, and we'll have the chance to eat at different places.

Not sure where we're going in the summer holidays, though. It'll be somewhere in the UK and with the dog. Me and our eldest want to go back to the NW of Scotland; wife and youngest really don't (youngest wants Devon/Cornwall, which I'm cool with, although cottages/lodges, especially with a hot tub, are bloody pricey)

We're staying just around the corner from that in Feb - I'll be able to give you a list of places to eat and drink. There was one we went to last Feb, 3 courses for about £12 and it was lovely. There's so many places around there all competing that food and drink prices are really cheap.

I never want to go All Inclusive again, as I end up eating far too much and putting on loads of weight.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2023, 01:24:30 pm »

I’ve stayed there Nobby. It’s really nice. Went for a big family holiday once and then have returned a couple of times just with my family of 4.

Never done the all inclusive. Never sure you’d get your money’s worth and I just go to one of the local supermercados to get a stash of cokes, beers, wine, crisps and they’re very relaxed about you drinking them in your room/poolside. We’ve done half board and the restaurant is the best we’ve been to for the ‘standard’ hotel buffet.

But loads of places to eat and drink close by as well as Rob can probably confirm.

There’s a couple of big pools down at the bottom but there’s a nice smaller, quieter ‘garden pool’ which can be quite chilled. We’ve requested a room in those blocks, and if you get a ground floor one you can pop in and out really easily.

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2023, 01:27:58 pm »
Phuket - just the 2 of us. 10 nights AI in Phuket Marriott
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2023, 01:39:12 pm »
We're staying just around the corner from that in Feb - I'll be able to give you a list of places to eat and drink. There was one we went to last Feb, 3 courses for about £12 and it was lovely. There's so many places around there all competing that food and drink prices are really cheap.

I never want to go All Inclusive again, as I end up eating far too much and putting on loads of weight.

I’ve stayed there Nobby. It’s really nice. Went for a big family holiday once and then have returned a couple of times just with my family of 4.

Never done the all inclusive. Never sure you’d get your money’s worth and I just go to one of the local supermercados to get a stash of cokes, beers, wine, crisps and they’re very relaxed about you drinking them in your room/poolside. We’ve done half board and the restaurant is the best we’ve been to for the ‘standard’ hotel buffet.

But loads of places to eat and drink close by as well as Rob can probably confirm.

There’s a couple of big pools down at the bottom but there’s a nice smaller, quieter ‘garden pool’ which can be quite chilled. We’ve requested a room in those blocks, and if you get a ground floor one you can pop in and out really easily.

Thanks for the feedback, chaps.

Not been to Tenerife for a fair few years. Last time was I think in 2005. Visited del Duque beach a couple of times* and the area around it.

I've got a pathological fear of cockroaches so am a bit apprehensive about going back to Tenerife, but the missus has always loved the place and the kids want to experience it (eldest was only 2 and doesn't really remember it)

Hoping they still do the catamaran trips out of Colon marina!

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2023, 02:20:26 pm »
Phuket - just the 2 of us. 10 nights AI in Phuket Marriott
Nice place, I love Phuket's beach and its white sands. Went there around 6-7 years ago, my boss paid for our company trip, all employees went there.

I like Bangla Road in Patong Beach, really comes to life after sunset and as I remember, the road was / is closed to traffic around 7.00pm.

I was walkin / chilling out along the seaside at night and enjoying the fresh seafood. But I'm no sure how about Phuket nowadays, had been a long time.

Hope you are going enjoy to it, Wigwamdelbert mate...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 10:06:34 am by NarutoReds »
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2023, 03:15:47 pm »

I was whoring along the seaside at night

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2023, 03:17:28 pm »

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2023, 10:12:18 am »
Fooking-puta-madre myself. I have corrected it, pardon for my indecency. Didn't mean any verbal transgressions, breaking RAWK's general civility code or something.

But again yes, Phuket is a nice place. Really.  ;D  ;D
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2023, 10:19:38 am »
Fooking-puta-madre myself. I have corrected it, pardon for my indecency. Didn't mean any verbal transgressions, breaking RAWK's general civility code or something.

But again yes, Phuket is a nice place. Really.  ;D  ;D

What happens in Phuket stays in Phuket. ;)

Only teasing, don’t apologise! You get around though! How far is the flight to Thailand for you?

Offline NarutoReds

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2023, 10:24:59 am »
What happens in Phuket stays in Phuket. ;)

Only teasing, don’t apologise! You get around though! How far is the flight to Thailand for you?
Roughly... 1 hour and 31 minutes from my place to Phuket, by flight. I love Phuket more than Bangkok.

Well, my office, RIGHT NOW, is 20 minutes (driving) from...

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2023, 12:07:13 pm »
Ah ok. Malaysia presumably!

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 1, 2023, 05:26:28 pm »
Monastir, Tunisia in June then Alanya, Turkey in September.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2023, 12:38:37 pm »
Little place called Bellos Apartments, its about a 10 minute walk from the town. We go to the Aphrodite water park, its massive and great.

Rob.  The only Aphrodite waterpark I can find is on Paphos mate.  Are you sure its Crete?

Also, The Bellos apartments look very close to where we are staying.  Star Beach Village.  This has its own Waterpark that is open to the public.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2023, 12:49:51 pm »
Current big trip idea is Kenya.

4/5 days of hiking Mount Kenya and then a flight over to Mombassa for some beach relaxation.

Has anyone ever hiked Mount Kenya?

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2023, 12:52:07 pm »
Roughly... 1 hour and 31 minutes from my place to Phuket, by flight. I love Phuket more than Bangkok.

Well, my office, RIGHT NOW, is 20 minutes (driving) from...

I used to live in KL, and Phuket where in KL are you mate?
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2023, 01:09:52 pm »
Rob.  The only Aphrodite waterpark I can find is on Paphos mate.  Are you sure its Crete?

Also, The Bellos apartments look very close to where we are staying.  Star Beach Village.  This has its own Waterpark that is open to the public.

Ha ha, massive brainfart, that's the waterpark we'll be in next week - yes its Acqua Plus we go to on Crete, kids love it and we love the space.

Yes, you're not too far up from where we stay, not wandered that far down though. We go out in Piskopianos of a night or down into Heraklion.

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2023, 03:20:39 pm »
Thinking of hiring an apartment or villa next year havent done it for years - has anyone done it in Paphos? Never been but rental prices look reasonable enough

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2023, 04:42:42 pm »
City break at Easter -  probably an Italian city

Miami followed by Orlando in the summer. Probably do 10 days at Disney -  Club level at Animal Kingdom Lodge is good because you get drinks and food included. Not sure what to do in Miami. Need to sort out hotels for Miami and might do North Beach.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline NarutoReds

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2023, 09:09:16 am »
I used to live in KL, and Phuket where in KL are you mate?
Bangsar South, mate. Wow you lived here before!! Hahaha!!  ;D  ;D

Hope you loved it here during your stay.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2023, 09:12:39 am »
Bangsar South, mate. Wow you lived here before!! Hahaha!!  ;D  ;D

Hope you loved it here during your stay.

The posh suburbs, very nice mate

I loved it there, my 6 years of my life
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2023, 05:28:01 pm »
massive brainfart
you, or your wife?

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2023, 07:29:13 am »
Going to do a few more UK holidays this year in my motorhome - West coast of Scotland again before the Midges take over, along the Northumberland coast and hopefully mid Wales. Other than that I am going fishing in France for a week in Summer and I am really wanting to go to Montenegro but struggling to find a reasonable flight which isn't departing from Gatwick. So might just end up renting a villa in Greece, Portugal or somewhere similar.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2023, 12:58:11 pm »
The sad situation with Luis Diaz's parents got me thinking:

Has anyone been to Colombia in the recent past, and how safe is it? I have a trip planned there for next year and will only really be staying in Barranquilla and Medellin but news like this doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2023, 01:31:18 pm »

Has anyone been to Colombia in the recent past, and how safe is it? I have a trip planned there for next year and will only really be staying in Barranquilla and Medellin but news like this doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

My wife is from Colombia and we were there last year January and going in January next year. Barranquilla and Medellin are fine, I mean just don't walk around with wads of cash bling all over you and you should be fine. We were in Bogota which can have very poor areas. We are going to Medellin where my wife is originally from and other than the traffic and the crazy drivers it's a good place to visit. Barranquilla is the tourist destination so a bit more regulated.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2023, 05:17:24 pm »

I posted this earlier today ...

we were in Cartagena earlier this year and missed our bus stop on the way back from the city centre.  bus was a circular route so just needed to stay on it.  driver thought we were nuts.  :)

all ended fine - but some of the areas we went through looked really dicey.

in the whole we were treated very nicely, going back in January.  stick to the main areas and be aware (same advice for any country) is all you need.

I'll add this:
I was in Bogota for a couple of days a few years back on business.  taxi's from hotel to office each time but didn't like the look of the place.
on the last day I went for a walk near the hotel (I had an hour to kill before my flight home).  I got stopped by some middle-aged guy in a suit who flashed a card of some sort, saying he was a cop and insisting that I show him my passport.
I just stonewalled him and said my passport was in hotel (which it was) and refused to hand him my wallet id.
after 2-3 minutes he got flustered, turned around and ran like hell.  no idea wtf he was going for - probably to leg it with my passport or wallet if I passed it to him.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 05:19:28 pm by SamLad »

Offline 1964allezallezallez

• Main Stander
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2023, 07:30:36 pm »
South Africa in December. Will hire a car and spend a week in or around Cape Town then 4 nights on safari in the Timbavati. 

Offline Komic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2023, 08:33:47 am »

Went a few years ago and it was fine, felt comfortable taking the trains around Medellin whilst I was there.

Had one sketchy moment in Cali when I thought I might get kidnapped. Booked a taxi the night before to go to San Cipriano, in the morning go down and a taxi is waiting for us. Get in and he starts driving.  He asks where we're going, I say the place, get told its too far away,  I say we agreed it yesterday. He then asks how much for, I say the price, he says he wont do it for. He is still driving round the streets of Cali, and rings up his boss who starts asking the same things. Try to explain to them that we mustve got in the wrong taxi and could he take us back to the hostel. He says no and continues to try to negioate the fee for the journey. My partner is freaking out as she speaks even less Spanish than me.

Eventually he takes us back to the hostel, but there were a few minutes where we thought he wasnt going to takes us back there.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2023, 09:06:55 am »

I went in 2015 and never felt unsafe. Went to Bogota, Medellin, Cartagena and Santa Marta.

Just have your wits about you and you'll be fine.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 7, 2023, 12:33:05 pm »
Major fuck-up.

:-[

Went to double-check something on our flights for next year... realised I somehow didn't complete the booking (Ryanair). This was back in September. Went back on to book but the prices for that flight had increased by over 50%.

Fuck!

Another trawl of the airlines and found Easy flights at even [every so slightly] cheaper than the ones I'd booked. But for a day later depart & return. So had to change the hotel booking, which wasn't actually a problem.

Phew!

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #34 on: November 8, 2023, 08:45:14 am »
10 days' full board in Salou at a 4-star hotel near the Cap Salou end.

By then, we'll have a 6-month-old and won't have had a beach holiday in 7 years so the plan is to do absolutely nothing for several days. Might get the bus to Reus, it's meant to be a nice town. Other than that, poolside, bit of beach, walking down to Cambrils and reading.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: December 6, 2023, 09:16:12 am »
Fucking TUI have just cancelled our May holiday, don't think much of the offered alternative so cancelled the lot, twice they've done this now on the bounce...

She's gonna book 2025 with them for Corfu, only reason being we've £800 in vouchers they owe us from the fuck up for Crete 2 years ago and she's not letting them go.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 6, 2023, 02:19:07 pm »
Fucking TUI have just cancelled our May holiday, don't think much of the offered alternative so cancelled the lot, twice they've done this now on the bounce...

She's gonna book 2025 with them for Corfu, only reason being we've £800 in vouchers they owe us from the fuck up for Crete 2 years ago and she's not letting them go.

Holiday and airline companies couldn't give a flying fuck about impacts on people.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 6, 2023, 02:31:46 pm »

Holiday and airline companies couldn't give a flying fuck about impacts on people.

At least they gave us a bit of notice this time, last one was about 2 weeks before we were due to fly !!! TUI are the worst I've dealt with, EasyJet and Jet2 have never fucked us about like these lot.

Its actually worked out ok, turns out the eldest had his GCSE Maths exam the day after we were due to fly back, so suits him better

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2023, 10:15:34 pm »
Can anyone recommend a favorite place in the Caribean, Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, Virgin Islands.

trying to book something last minute and know nothing.

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2023, 09:12:48 am »
Can anyone recommend a favorite place in the Caribean, Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, Virgin Islands.

trying to book something last minute and know nothing.
My cousin regularly visits BVI and would recommend Tortola.
I'm just back from a cruise around the Caribbean, can recommend Aruba (beautiful white beaches and crystal blue sea), Grand Cayman (tax free) and Curacao (just a stunning island but don't visit the museum)
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company