Author Topic: Lionel Messi  (Read 922987 times)

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Lionel Messi
« Reply #8600 on: May 11, 2019, 07:50:08 pm »

Incredibly, Messi is the sixth highest scorer against the big six Premier League sides since notching his first in May 2009.

Sergio Aguero is in a league of his own on 52, leading Wayne Rooney, Jamie Vardy, Eden Hazard and Robin van Persie. Then comes Messi, despite only playing against the big six in European competition.

This was taken from an article before our match.

Incredible that he has outscored Cristiano Ronaldo against the big 6, when Ronaldo spent 4 yrs at man U!!!

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8601 on: May 11, 2019, 07:50:46 pm »
I’ve come to find these debates quite interesting actually - they’re a good window into what people put most value on.  Personally I’ve realised what I go for is drama, the highest possible peak and amn’t interested in longevity particularly.  Also like everyone else I basically think the best stuff is whatever was current when I was a teenager.

They’re a good window on people’s biases as well - somebody upthread was discounting half of Maradona’s career for being in a ‘piss-poor’ Argentine league.  Like, how would anybody know?  Most players played at home in those days, Argentina were the world champions, and the only time their clubs ever came near our clubs was in the Intercontinental Cup, where the South American sides won half of them.

Similar to Pele in Brazil. I have read articles from football historians that the Brazilian League then was much much stronger than it is now, and it seems logical. South American players were not rushing to European Leagues then, as much as they do now. Now, the moment you're spoken about as a prodigy, in come European sides to take you in. South American Leagues were pretty strong then.

So, yes. There's always context that is important.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 07:56:31 pm by PoetryInMotion »

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8602 on: May 11, 2019, 07:53:33 pm »
Oh god please don’t tell me this has turned into soccer AM style ‘who’s better’ stuff

A debate for 8 year olds

I mean fucking hell guys, we really are better than this

Why is sharing football knowledge and discussing football history or experience about different players for 8 year olds/embarrassing in any way? It's what football historians do, it's what real football authors write about.

If you're comparing this to a tribal 'banter' culture 'who's better' argument, you're wrong. It's a proper discussion if you're interested in the details and look for them.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 07:55:13 pm by PoetryInMotion »

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #8603 on: May 11, 2019, 07:56:22 pm »
Similar to Pele in Brazil. I have read articles from football historians that the Brazilian League then was much much stronger than it is now, and it seems logical. South American players were not rushing to European Leagues then, as much as they do now. Now, the moment you're spoken about as a prodigy, in come European sides to take you in.

I think you give the debate far more credence than it deserves. I wish it was from the standpoint you both mention

But at this point it’s utter tribalism. I like Messi or ILike Ronaldo

They’ll see Ronaldo score an overhead kick and be devestated he did it not enjoy it for what it was as with the other way when Messi sits 3 defenders on there arse and dinks the keepers

They only care about what banner they fly under. It’s unbelievably pathetic
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #8604 on: May 11, 2019, 07:57:49 pm »

Incredible that he has outscored Cristiano Ronaldo against the big 6, when Ronaldo spent 4 yrs at man U!!!
But you are comparing a young Ronaldo and Messi in it's (extended) peak.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8605 on: May 11, 2019, 07:59:24 pm »
I think you give the debate far more credence than it deserves. I wish it was from the standpoint you both mention

But at this point it’s utter tribalism. I like Messi or ILike Ronaldo

They’ll see Ronaldo score an overhead kick and be devestated he did it not enjoy it for what it was as with the other way when Messi sits 3 defenders on there arse and dinks the keepers

They only care about what banner they fly under. It’s unbelievably pathetic

If you're referring to the average twitter culture or on sites where people just sign up to argue or 'banter', then I take your points.

What I'm saying is that the current discussion here at RAWK is unlike anything of that sort. We're bringing in various players that warrant to be in this discussion and weighing in the merits and demerits of each of them.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8606 on: May 11, 2019, 08:01:10 pm »
But you are comparing a young Ronaldo and Messi in it's (extended) peak.

That young Ronaldo was no slouch actually. His last season had an insane scoring record, especially for a winger (he had not become a full striker then). It was similar to what Salah did last season.

Maybe, that's why it's surprising that he hasn't scored more against the big sides according to this stat.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #8607 on: May 11, 2019, 08:02:37 pm »
If you're referring to the average twitter culture or on sites where people just sign up to argue or 'banter', then I take your points.

What I'm saying is that the current discussion here at RAWK is unlike anything of that sort. We're bringing in various players that warrant to be in this discussion and weighing in the merits and demerits of each of them.

Fair play I shouldve known better

But my original comment was after a flurry of posts that stated to look just like the kind of mindless nonsense mentioned.
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8608 on: May 11, 2019, 08:02:42 pm »
I brought him up because of the off the pitch experience and impact he may have had on the team. Everyone is about Maradona, the leader, right? They had quality defenders on the pitch as well (I mentioned Ruggeri), and they only conceded 3 goals before the final in the 86 World Cup is completely relevant to what we are talking. It was not a one man show. Their defense was excellent & their tactical set-up was stable.

Which tactical set-up of Argentina during Messi's era was stable? I know the answer by the way. None. Zero. Nada.

The summer they got to the final? Messi had an all time great Dm in Mascherano playing at an elite level.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8609 on: May 11, 2019, 08:18:29 pm »
The summer they got to the final? Messi had an all time great Dm in Mascherano playing at an elite level.

They weren't tactically that good, certainly nothing like Argentina in 1986, where they among the masters of 3-5-2 system.

In 2014, it was two great players playing out of their skins to get to the final (Masch & Messi). Look at their lineup. They had Romero, a slow and a struggling Demichelis who was a disaster at Man City at that time, an under-achieving Garay, Marcos fucking Rojo, under-achieving Lavezzi, Enzo nobody Perez and a choking Higuain. Zabaleta & Biglia were their only reliable players outside of Messi and Masch.

To be frank, this team had no business to be challenging that Germany team full of World Class players at their peaks then.

Fine margins in a final though, conceded in extra-time. If Higuain scored a couple of his chances, we'd be talking about that campaign and the game in a whole different context.

Although I agree that Sabella was better for Argentina than all the other disasters they had in and around that campaign in Maradona, Martino, Sampaoli and the likes. Pekerman was okay.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 08:30:56 pm by PoetryInMotion »

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8610 on: May 11, 2019, 10:09:36 pm »

The stat is for May 2009 onwards, i.e. since Ronaldo was a Madrid/Juve player. Don’t think he’s played many English top 6 teams in that time.

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8611 on: May 11, 2019, 10:44:11 pm »
That young Ronaldo was no slouch actually. His last season had an insane scoring record, especially for a winger (he had not become a full striker then). It was similar to what Salah did last season.

Maybe, that's why it's surprising that he hasn't scored more against the big sides according to this stat.
I don't disagree, in general. I just think that scoring against the "big teams" goes hand in hand with the ability to carry a team, and both are greatly enhanced by experience. It's all hypothetical, but I think that had Ronaldo gone to Madrid then United and a reversed order, he'd have been a lot more effective against the top six.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8612 on: May 11, 2019, 10:49:15 pm »
Don’t think Ronaldo played against arsenal since going to Madrid which is probably who messi scored most of them against

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8613 on: May 12, 2019, 01:41:22 am »
Similar to Pele in Brazil. I have read articles from football historians that the Brazilian League then was much much stronger than it is now, and it seems logical. South American players were not rushing to European Leagues then, as much as they do now. Now, the moment you're spoken about as a prodigy, in come European sides to take you in. South American Leagues were pretty strong then.

From 1958 to 1970 all Brazilian players were playing in Brazil. And all at different teams. Leagues on top of leagues to decide who was the best. And for a World Cup squad of 22 they narrowed it from 60-odd. They still would have won. Santos won the whole caboodle 6 or so times when Pelé was there. Never won a thing before, and I think they won it again about 10 years ago. And that's without the friendly tours Santos did to Europe, boats all across Europe, 2 matches a day sometimes, and Pelé had to play, otherwise no money.

Once upon a time his playing schedule was online, always back up good stuff - it was gruelling to read, he played and scored in game after game.

Although Brazilians I know seem to prefer Garrincha. And certainly Maradona disses Pelé whenever he can, but not Garrincha, Garrincha would have nutmegged Diego, left the ball stationary, and walked off.

(Apologies for the accent keeps appearing on Pele, my phone does it, and maybe it should be there.)
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8614 on: May 12, 2019, 08:07:04 am »
The stat is for May 2009 onwards, i.e. since Ronaldo was a Madrid/Juve player. Don’t think he’s played many English top 6 teams in that time.

Fair enough..

But are you sure about that?

The articles I've read say reference that date as when Messi scored his 1st goal against English teams, but not that that was from when they started counting

If you are positive about it, then I will take your word for it

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8615 on: May 12, 2019, 09:31:53 am »
Fair enough..

But are you sure about that?

The articles I've read say reference that date as when Messi scored his 1st goal against English teams, but not that that was from when they started counting

If you are positive about it, then I will take your word for it

Yeah I'm 99.99% certain of it mate - as well as the wording, the only players mentioned who have scored more than him are players who were active post 2009. Off the top of my head, Fowler and Henry would also have easily scored a lot more V the big 6 than the players mentioned (not that City and Spurs were 'big 6' pre 2009). I'm sure lots of other players from yesteryear (Owen, Shearer, Rush, Greaves, Charlton) also would have scored more.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #8616 on: May 19, 2019, 08:14:18 pm »
Messi has now scored more senior club career goals than Cristiano Ronaldo.

Messi - 602 goals in 686 games

Ronaldo - 601 goals in 805 games
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #8617 on: May 19, 2019, 08:16:55 pm »
At last he has a legitimate claim to be better than Cristiano Ronaldo
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #8618 on: May 19, 2019, 08:41:47 pm »
At last he has a legitimate claim to be better than Cristiano Ronaldo

;)
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8619 on: May 19, 2019, 10:01:49 pm »
Past it  ::)

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8620 on: May 20, 2019, 03:54:49 am »

Show offs.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8621 on: May 20, 2019, 05:42:46 am »
Don't see the fuss, can not see him making it in game and if he does drugs!!!!!!!!!
choose Life.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8622 on: May 20, 2019, 12:33:19 pm »

Pretty incredible really.  Whatever you think of them (and I'm not a fan of Ronaldo at all), we have been pretty privileged to be able to watch their careers.  They are both two of the best to ever play the game. 

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8623 on: May 20, 2019, 06:03:17 pm »
Pretty incredible really.  Whatever you think of them (and I'm not a fan of Ronaldo at all), we have been pretty privileged to be able to watch their careers.  They are both two of the best to ever play the game. 
That's my take on things too. And I think that both having the (freakishly broad) peak of their careers at the same time fueled the competition and made them even better than what they would be without each other.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8624 on: May 20, 2019, 10:14:03 pm »
602 goals in 686 games is an insane return, shouldn't even be possible

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8625 on: May 21, 2019, 05:07:09 am »
602 goals in 686 games is an insane return, shouldn't even be possible

It isn't possible. We wont see it again. Football manager stats

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8626 on: June 5, 2019, 11:15:18 pm »
Messi's 3 year old son taking the piss out of him

One-club man Messi, 31, who has netted 603 times for Barca in 687 outings, has three sons – Thiago (born 2012); Mateo (born 2015) and Ciro (born 2018) but reveals that his middle boy is an incredible wind-up merchant who uses Jurgen Klopp's side to goad his own father during family kickabouts.

Messi told TyCSports: “We played at home, and last time, we kicked it about, he would tell me, ‘I’m Liverpool , who beat you. You are Barça, and I’m Liverpool.’

:D :D :D :D

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8627 on: June 6, 2019, 01:18:34 pm »

One-club man Messi, 31, who has netted 603 times for Barca in 687 outings, has three sons – Thiago (born 2012); Mateo (born 2015) and Ciro (born 2018) but reveals that his middle boy is an incredible wind-up merchant who uses Jurgen Klopp's side to goad his own father during family kickabouts.

Messi told TyCSports: “We played at home, and last time, we kicked it about, he would tell me, ‘I’m Liverpool , who beat you. You are Barça, and I’m Liverpool.’

:D

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8628 on: June 6, 2019, 01:58:20 pm »

:lmao Sign him up!
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #8629 on: July 4, 2019, 10:07:22 pm »
So hows your Summer been?

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #8630 on: July 4, 2019, 10:35:01 pm »
So hows your Summer been?

You should ask Lingard how his summer has beans...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8631 on: July 4, 2019, 10:40:06 pm »

Ronaldo numbers are insane.

Well Messi what more can you say really?  You looks at Messi's stats, you watch him play you really have ask yourself why there even a Messi/Ronaldo debate?

Ronaldo is complete freak but Messi is even better.
Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #8632 on: January 4, 2020, 02:49:44 pm »

If we didn't know better we'd think this is just twitter / social media bollocks - that someone has got their facts wrong or mis-typed on the calculator etc...

^ from https://twitter.com/SkyBet/status/1213173180719751169?s=09

but no... it's true. Immense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_Messi
« Last Edit: January 4, 2020, 02:52:23 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8633 on: January 4, 2020, 02:54:07 pm »
Meh!

Offline semit5

• obsessed with faeces
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8634 on: January 4, 2020, 04:25:37 pm »
Ronaldo numbers are insane.

Well Messi what more can you say really?  You looks at Messi's stats, you watch him play you really have ask yourself why there even a Messi/Ronaldo debate?

Ronaldo is complete freak but Messi is even better.

Anyone else read this in Nessa’s voice?

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #8635 on: February 22, 2020, 05:23:30 pm »

After today's 4 goals vs Eibar...

Messi 1st goal on 14' - https://90mingoals.me/dskf (Ray Hudson on comms :))
Messi 2nd goal on 37' - https://90mingoals.me/blsd
Messi 3rd goal on 40' - https://90mingoals.me/dd
Messi gets his 4th on 87 mins - https://90mingoals.me/whag

'696 goals.
306 assists.

Lionel Messi is the first player to ever achieve over 1,000 total goal contributions.'

^ https://twitter.com/SkyBet/status/1231262357025890304

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 05:26:59 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8636 on: February 22, 2020, 05:25:37 pm »
After today's 4 goals vs Eibar...

'696 goals.
306 assists.

Lionel Messi is the first player to ever achieve over 1,000 total goal contributions.'*

*After Pele**

**which included goals scored in his back garden
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jerzy............Legend
« Reply #8637 on: February 22, 2020, 06:03:04 pm »
to be fair, we are lucky to be able to witness the sheer audacity of the pair of them.  I think Ronaldo has had to work harder, Messi... blessed from whatever higher power may exist. We will all be talking about them both with our Kids and Grandkids.  ( Robbo messed up Messi's  hair though) That means Robbo is Boss! :-)
Better today than yesterday...........
           even better tomorrow.

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8638 on: February 22, 2020, 10:26:41 pm »
to be fair, we are lucky to be able to witness the sheer audacity of the pair of them.  I think Ronaldo has had to work harder, Messi... blessed from whatever higher power may exist. We will all be talking about them both with our Kids and Grandkids.  ( Robbo messed up Messi's  hair though) That means Robbo is Boss! :-)
That would be human growth hormone [emoji382]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8639 on: February 24, 2020, 04:46:22 pm »
That would be human growth hormone [emoji382]

https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/741027/systematic-review-effects-growth-hormone-athletic-performance
Not according to the science.

He's just a genius with the ball. Drugs can't make you do what he does. It's not the running, or the athletic component to his game. It's the vision and the magic.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.