Author Topic: Torres - The Reasons for Leaving - by Sid Lowe  (Read 336144 times)

Offline rickythered

• facedranter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We won it 5 Times
Re: Torres - The Reasons for Leaving - by Sid Lowe
« Reply #840 on: February 5, 2011, 08:41:06 pm »
It's a job to him that's all. How many here would not take the chance if it came along of moving jobs for double your current income and a better chance of a promotion. I would and anyone who says different is a hypocrite. So your ex work colleges may not be your friends any-more or even hate you, but sometimes you have to do what is best for you and your family as they come first. We feel betrayed because we treat football players like some sort of saints or people of worship, there only human just like the rest of us nothing more.
“The Liverpool jersey has become heavy to wear and I want to change that.” Brendan Rodger's

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #841 on: February 5, 2011, 08:41:18 pm »

As for being daft well I will defend the players here not an ex one, guess that's were we are different my loyalty is to the club your sympathy is for someone who left it suddenly, go figure!

yes, you're obviously a much 'better' fan than me, instead of being able to have a reasonable and intelligent discussion, you twist it round and make it about something else completely, just so you can show the world what an uber fan you are.

show me where I defended his decision to leave us.
we were talking about why he went to chelsea in particular instead of the other clubs being mentioned.
you're great contribution to this discussion....?
"torres is a twat, you're a chelsea lover and I'm the greatest fan ever, whahey!!!".

your belief that he went purely for the money is just naive.
I'll let you get back to your shirt burning then, personally I'd rather leave the bitterness to the bitters.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #842 on: February 5, 2011, 08:44:48 pm »
He's basically told the Chelsea fans he doesn't give a shit about them, why didn't he do the same for us since its so clearly how he actually feels?
Don't care what anyone else says, I think somewhere along the way, he changed for the worse. You have to remember he was just overhyped potential when he joined us from a struggling Atletico, and was largely ridiculed in Spain as "poor Torres" who had never scored more than 14 goals a season and always had his arse handed to him by Casillas.

He saw us in Istanbul, and then Athens. He saw Rafa, Alonso, and Reina and thought 'aye aye'. Time to get out that armband. Dream debut season and all of a sudden he was the world's best striker. The night we fucked Marseille up in the CL, at half time in the Bernabeu they replayed that goal on the big screen and a Madrid grandee was heard to exclaim (in Spanish) "fucking hell, is THAT really Torres?!". And so his fame and ego grew to a point where the self-entitlement and cold-hearted selfishness began to blacken his soul. The Tumours more than played their part of course, but who is to say another league tilt or CL SF or QF loss would have made any difference? For Torres, it wasn't about the challenge, it was about the winning, ticking the boxes on a list mentally pinned up entitled "stuff I've won". But the one lesson he's not yet learned is the life isn't about getting what you want, it's about appreciating what you have. Or in Torres' case, had. He'll have plenty of years to dwell on that.

As for the point you make, you're right about the implicit message to the Chelsea fans. But you know what? Those plastic fuckers don't give a toss. Mercenary no class fans welcome mercenary no class player. Meant for each other.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2011, 08:46:59 pm by rossipersempre »
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #843 on: February 5, 2011, 08:45:00 pm »
It's a job to him that's all. How many here would not take the chance if it came along of moving jobs for double your current income and a better chance of a promotion. I would and anyone who says different is a hypocrite. So your ex work colleges may not be your friends any-more or even hate you, but sometimes you have to do what is best for you and your family as they come first. We feel betrayed because we treat football players like some sort of saints or people of worship, there only human just like the rest of us nothing more.

Family comes first?
£100,000+ per week from the club. Probably the same from merchandise.

Go figure.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #844 on: February 5, 2011, 08:56:30 pm »
Family comes first?
£100,000+ per week from the club. Probably the same from merchandise.

Go figure.
Warped sense of perspective footballers have when it comes to money. Look at Ballack and his claims of not being able to afford to buy a decent house in London on his meagre £6m salary.

With Torres, we all know he took a pay cut (after tax incidentally) to come here and his brother mentioned that again for the hundredth time just in case anyone was unaware. Yet no mention of similar in this transfer. Funny that.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline ThePrufeshanul

• Bastard child of Jose Mourinho and Maggie Thatcher
  • Kopite
  • ..whose game is tighter than Suarez's shirt says..
« Reply #845 on: February 5, 2011, 08:59:26 pm »
Oh yes, my god you are right. He LIED. His life hasn't panned out in such a way that every single statement he ever professed turned out to be true. WOW.
[I hope you see that the above is irony].

People 'lie' all the time. Mac, have you ever lied? What about Liverpool FC? Do you think that this club has ever 'lied'? How about to Fernando Torres? What do you think this club has said to Fernando Torres when he was signed? How do you think those conversations go? Anything having to do with competing at the highest level all the time, CL football and successes, ensuring a hesitant lad that his ambitions will be fullfilled?
You can go ahead and blame Torres because that is easy to do. The truth is that life is more complicated and peoples' honest dreams, aspirations and commitments often get quashed in the process. It is certainly not your fault that this club was run by some rascals in recent years that have lied through their teeth often to people you cared about very much and misrepresented and semi-destroyed the integrity of your club, putting many people you care(d) about in difficult position. It is not your fault that things did not turn out the way you feel they ought to have, so that what YOUR club promised to Torres and many other people turned out to be nonsense. You shouldn't be blamed for that, and neither should Torres. What you should do is understand and learn from what has transpired.

Excellent and thoughtful post.

You know when other people say Liverpool fans are the most knowledgeable in the game, do you think they are referring to people like Redeo or to fans who put their fingers in their ears and say over and over again "I dont care what you have to say/what the evidence is/ Torres is a money chasing lying sellout judas".

Plus, the more irate fans who are burning shirts, coming up with songs etc. Its just proving that actually a player IS bigger than the club after all.

In the end they are just professional players we have hired to do a job and its probably best not to get too carried away when they arrive kissing badges and not too upset when they inevitably move on.
"Lucas Leiva? That kid had more passes than Paris Hilton on Mastermind!"
"The funniest thing of all though is an agricultural long ball centre half not trusting the ability on the ball of some one who starts for Brazil precisely because of his passing ability." - Al555

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #846 on: February 5, 2011, 09:05:06 pm »
Drama queens out in force tonight...

I loved him when he was here. He fucked us over for roman rentboys. He is forgotten and we will move on. The irony and delight of kenny being in charge is just goood..
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #847 on: February 5, 2011, 09:09:49 pm »
For everyone who's being "ah well shit happens life's like that he's done no wrong etc." ask yourself this...

If what he's done isn't an archetypal example of disloyal dishonourable shithouse behaviour, then why is he and his Brand Torres entourage going round oh so desperately trying to convince the world otherwise?

Offline AntonisCyprus

• Legacy Fan
  • Cyprus Branch
« Reply #848 on: February 5, 2011, 09:10:35 pm »
We loved him when he came and while he was playing for us. Now he is gone. I didnt/dont agree with people who started talking about his helicopter "having problems" while taking him to london or about Carra braking his legs. The man made his decision and he will live with it and so will we continue to support our team and our manager. Get over it i dont care about him and i wish no one would boo him on the pitch tomorrow. Its history.
The Cyprus BRANCH RED Fans

Offline bootroom boy

• Kopite
« Reply #849 on: February 5, 2011, 09:11:06 pm »
Torres is a RAT!

Offline Jonno_

• Main Stander
« Reply #850 on: February 5, 2011, 09:12:57 pm »

I don't see the analogy in this situation. Footballers earn their entire pay packet on the back of supporters. They would have no job, and would simply be playing down the local park if people like you and me didn't turn up everyone weekend, or buy the latest shirt.

If I'm a doctor, I earn all my money from the sick. I don't earn money because I pack out the theatre with 50,000 every week - wearing my latest scrubs, cheering me on as I perform open heart surgery.

Unlike the sick, football fans don't need to show up. They choose to, and they choose to because of the players playing. In the same way that a doctor must take a hypocratic oath, surely football players must show some level of loyalty to the very fans that keep them employed.

That said, I am understanding with changing clubs for most reasons. But for money - I don't - because footballers earn an incredible and undeserved amount in any case - and make more than a comfortable living. But then to tell those fans that loved you, that you never loved them at all, despite all contrary evidence? He can go get fucked for all I'm concerned.

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #851 on: February 5, 2011, 09:13:35 pm »
Excellent and thoughtful post.

You know when other people say Liverpool fans are the most knowledgeable in the game, do you think they are referring to people like Redeo or to fans who put their fingers in their ears and say over and over again "I dont care what you have to say/what the evidence is/ Torres is a money chasing lying sellout judas".

Plus, the more irate fans who are burning shirts, coming up with songs etc. Its just proving that actually a player IS bigger than the club after all.

In the end they are just professional players we have hired to do a job and its probably best not to get too carried away when they arrive kissing badges and not too upset when they inevitably move on.

Yep. Far better we lose all romanticism, and accept it when players use us as a stepping stone while lying through their teeth as its 'part of the game.'

Well its a fucking shite part of the game, and if you indulge in it, you're a prick.

D'you know the moment that's made me proudest on the pitch since Istanbul? It wasn't the FA Cup final. It wasn't the 4-0 vs Madrid. it wasn't even the 4-1 at Old Trafford. It was the last minute of our Champions League quarter final against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in 2009. All 11 of our players had run themselves into the ground. We had a throw-in, and needed 2 goals to gothrough, with about 30 seconds to get them in. Alonso sprinted to get the ball, and I'll never forget the look in his eyes. It was a look that said 'We owe our fans maximum effort, even if we can't win.' It was desperate, we all knew the game was up. There's no telling that to players like Kuyt and Alonso though. Players who understand that if they haven't put 100% into a match, they haven't earnt their paycheque.

Effort and honesty. That's all I demand. I ask for trophies, but don't demand them. And if that's an outdated view of game rapidly losing its mystique, then I'm not sure I can be bothered with it. Luckily for me, there are a few playing today who share my feelings, and will never let me down from a romantic point of view

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #852 on: February 5, 2011, 09:14:42 pm »
who would prefer torres not to win the league with chelsea if it means it goes to united ?

I would rather man U win than torres gets a medal..

Offline Redeo

• Kopite
« Reply #853 on: February 5, 2011, 09:19:41 pm »
who would prefer torres not to win the league with chelsea if it means it goes to united ?

Doesn't what you just wrote mean that you care more about what happens to one former player than what happens to the club?
If Torres wins a medal, who gives a f*ck.
If MU win, for a short period of time we'll no longer have the best record.
It's a website mate. Names can't be named. If they were, there'd be mutiny. If they aren't, people will scream ... ask for proof. But you will never find 100% proof of anything on here. So, .. look at all evidence, weigh everything up and make a decision.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #854 on: February 5, 2011, 09:21:21 pm »
I'd love it if he broke his fucking leg tomorrow and I don't care how that makes me sound.

Utterly pathetic thing to say.

Offline Supernatural

• Anny Roader
« Reply #855 on: February 5, 2011, 09:25:32 pm »
I never kissed the Liverpool badge, says Chelsea's Fernando Torres

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/05/fernando-torres-liverpool-chelsea

Offline miakeks

• Legacy Fan
  • Quod erat demonstrandum. :P
« Reply #856 on: February 5, 2011, 09:27:08 pm »
We loved him when he came and while he was playing for us. Now he is gone. I didnt/dont agree with people who started talking about his helicopter "having problems" while taking him to london or about Carra braking his legs. The man made his decision and he will live with it and so will we continue to support our team and our manager. Get over it i dont care about him and i wish no one would boo him on the pitch tomorrow. Its history.

Seconded.
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.” (Voltaire, 1694 - 1778)

Offline thekremlin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • nothing like a nice cup of tea
« Reply #857 on: February 5, 2011, 09:28:48 pm »
i was, am and probably always will be disgusted with the manner in which he left and to who but i can understand his reasons for going. from his point of view he wants trophies and CL football... we're not in the position to offer that at the moment. i think he should have waited til the end of the season or gone after the world cup but hey... fuck him, he's gone. and you know what? now he finally has gone, it's quite nice not worrying about it happening all the time. plus he's been pretty much shite or injured for a year and a half.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #858 on: February 5, 2011, 09:31:26 pm »
How many times does it have to be said? Chelsea are the only team that could afford him, that wanted him and that we're in the CL

God sorry!! Even allowing for the above, the fact is Chelsea are currently 10 points behind Utd, have not managed to win the Champions League, in fact I will be amazed if they win a thing this season as their form has been appalling. Had he waited till the end of the season, chances are other teams would of been in for him. He has just behaved like a spoilt child, in wanting it now.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline rickythered

• facedranter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We won it 5 Times
« Reply #859 on: February 5, 2011, 09:32:55 pm »
It's all about personal life values and the individual. What takes priorty? The love of your close friends and family, or success in your chosen career and the wealth that comes with it? I value the love of my family and my friends above all. Sadly nowadays especially the young seem to be obsessed with material things to bring them happiness and have lost sight of what is truly important in life. The me, me, me generation which Torres is sadly a member of.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2011, 09:39:08 pm by rickythered »
“The Liverpool jersey has become heavy to wear and I want to change that.” Brendan Rodger's

Offline redrockydennis

• Annie Wilkes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • gonna paint me jarg wheelie bin purple
« Reply #860 on: February 5, 2011, 09:36:25 pm »

blasphemer!
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes,
of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #861 on: February 5, 2011, 09:43:05 pm »
For everyone who's being "ah well shit happens life's like that he's done no wrong etc." ask yourself this...

If what he's done isn't an archetypal example of disloyal dishonourable shithouse behaviour, then why is he and his Brand Torres entourage going round oh so desperately trying to convince the world otherwise?
But they're not though are they ? he keeps getting asked questions by the media, and gives his response accordingly, it's not like he's holding press conferences by himself to announce his thoughts or is constantly being quoted Twittering his thoughts to the world..

Screw him he's gone, but if you look at it from his side if he says "I won't disclose any reasons behind my decision" then people will say bastard he's trying to cash in on a newspaper article someday, if he explains then he's desperate to justify it. Obviously I don't like the decision he's taken, but I think there's probably a lot of raw emotions on our side at the moment, and with it comes some unfair characterisations.

Again dunno mate, to me, they live in their own world, devoid from morality or loyalty. On the other hand, they have a lifespan of 10 years or so at the top, and while they get paid top money anywhere they may well want to think about what came at the end of it when they hang their boots.

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #862 on: February 5, 2011, 09:43:50 pm »
It's all about personal life values and the individual. What takes priorty? The love of your close friends and family, or success in your chosen career and the wealth that comes with it? I value the love of my family and my friends above all. Sadly nowadays especially the young seem to be obsessed with material things to bring them happiness and have lost sight of what is truly important in life. The me, me, me generation which Torres is sadly a member of.

Then why were you talking as though his family's happiness relied on his career and subsequent wealth?

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #863 on: February 5, 2011, 09:44:41 pm »
I never kissed the Liverpool badge, says Chelsea's Fernando Torres

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/05/fernando-torres-liverpool-chelsea

I hope you never win a domestic trophy in your career.....
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #864 on: February 5, 2011, 09:49:20 pm »

I laughed when reminded how Torres studied videos of Liverpool's history.

I guess he'll watch Chelsea's over a bowl of Cornflakes.

Changed it for you.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #865 on: February 5, 2011, 09:53:43 pm »
Yes, he can justify his reasons for leaving and we can understand them; we are in transition, he needs champions league now, gave us some great memories, no-one bigger than the club, blah, blah, blah, it's like watching tennis at Wimbledon. Fuck him, he's a c*nt and I am a Partisan bastard so fuck off with the reasoned,  intellectual,  patronising and slightly condescending garbage about forgiveness and understanding, I am not listening, na na na na na na na na. Please mods lock this fucking thread, I'm like a moth drawn to light with it. I can forgive him one day but not the next. Will it ever end.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :butt
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #866 on: February 5, 2011, 09:55:14 pm »

Offline Liver Bird

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #867 on: February 5, 2011, 09:59:02 pm »
Don't care what anyone else says, I think somewhere along the way, he changed for the worse. You have to remember he was just overhyped potential when he joined us from a struggling Atletico, and was largely ridiculed in Spain as "poor Torres" who had never scored more than 14 goals a season and always had his arse handed to him by Casillas.

He saw us in Istanbul, and then Athens. He saw Rafa, Alonso, and Reina and thought 'aye aye'. Time to get out that armband. Dream debut season and all of a sudden he was the world's best striker. The night we fucked Marseille up in the CL, at half time in the Bernabeu they replayed that goal on the big screen and a Madrid grandee was heard to exclaim (in Spanish) "fucking hell, is THAT really Torres?!". And so his fame and ego grew to a point where the self-entitlement and cold-hearted selfishness began to blacken his soul. The Tumours more than played their part of course, but who is to say another league tilt or CL SF or QF loss would have made any difference? For Torres, it wasn't about the challenge, it was about the winning, ticking the boxes on a list mentally pinned up entitled "stuff I've won". But the one lesson he's not yet learned is the life isn't about getting what you want, it's about appreciating what you have. Or in Torres' case, had. He'll have plenty of years to dwell on that.

As for the point you make, you're right about the implicit message to the Chelsea fans. But you know what? Those plastic fuckers don't give a toss. Mercenary no class fans welcome mercenary no class player. Meant for each other.

Summed up my thoughts on Torres perfectly.
"The fans are the greatest in the land.They know the game and they know what they want to see.The people on the kop make you feel great- yet humble" bill shankly.

Offline tdonline

• It's a "conspiracy..."
  • Main Stander
« Reply #868 on: February 5, 2011, 09:59:59 pm »

Was this lecture rolled out when Torres walked out of his boyhood club, left his family, friends and country to come to Liverpool to play champions league football? 

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #869 on: February 5, 2011, 10:02:33 pm »

what??
you'd put your hissy fit over a glory hunting ex-player over your hatred of the mancs?
never!!
the mancs winning number 19 would be a dark day for all of us.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #870 on: February 5, 2011, 10:07:01 pm »
But they're not though are they ? he keeps getting asked questions by the media, and gives his response accordingly, it's not like he's holding press conferences by himself to announce his thoughts or is constantly being quoted Twittering his thoughts to the world..

Again dunno mate, to me, they live in their own world, devoid from morality or loyalty. On the other hand, they have a lifespan of 10 years or so at the top, and while they get paid top money anywhere they may well want to think about what came at the end of it when they hang their boots.
What do you think the article OP is all about then? A nice little commission for Madrid-based Sid is what it is.

As for living in their own little bubble, I agree. For Torres though I think it's even more urgent because deep down lies the fear that injuries are slowly robbing him of his ability, a progressive deterioration. As a Chelsea fan said in the SK thread, there's a distinct whiff of Van Basten about him and I reckon he won't see 30 football-wise.

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #871 on: February 5, 2011, 10:08:36 pm »
Don't care what anyone else says, I think somewhere along the way, he changed for the worse.
I honestly believe seeing Rooney hold Utd to ransom was probably the moment where he thought "fuck it all".

He's seen mercenary footballers being rewarded with fat contracts, trophies and the love of fans. He's been loyal to Atleti and then with Liverpool, but not seen himself get his just rewards. As the saying goes "nice guys finish last".

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #872 on: February 5, 2011, 10:12:02 pm »
Rossipersempre you could well be right, he may not have that long to go (perhaps making his decision more plausible then (though no less disappointing for us fans))

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #873 on: February 5, 2011, 10:12:05 pm »
Was this lecture rolled out when Torres walked out of his boyhood club, left his family, friends and country to come to Liverpool to play champions league football? 
He'd become truly depressed there, the weight and expectation of being local hero and young captain, in a team treading water. That it was sugar-coated in that the £21m would enable them to get a couple of very decent players in, alongside a young potential successor called Sergio, was very convenient for the Chelsea striker. Onwards and upwards for me he thought. Just as he does now.

Offline caspertheghost

• Legacy Fan
  • When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you
« Reply #874 on: February 5, 2011, 10:21:54 pm »

wise up will you with that remark

our biggest rivals winning No19? No Brainer (or should be)
What kind of work gets you the nickname Casper the ghost?

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #875 on: February 5, 2011, 10:27:35 pm »

I completely disagree - does that make me a hypocrite?

Let's face it, he hardly needs the money.

'Do what is best for your family' - so by that I assume you mean sell your family home; move 200 miles to London to work with a bunch of cheats and mercenaries; start playing for a club owned by a Russian billionaire who could press the 'stop' button on the chequebook at any moment; a club playing a very dangerous financial game with a completely unsustainable business model that is already being scrutinised by UEFA; a club where plastic flags are left on the seats because the fans had never considered making their own; a club where the away fans consistently out-sing the home fans; a club where loyalty and family values clearly mean nothing to the players; a club that until Abramovich arrived did not exist on the football radar outside of England; and a club that represents, without a shadow of a doubt, everything that is wrong about the modern game.

No thanks.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #876 on: February 5, 2011, 10:31:35 pm »
What do you think the article OP is all about then? A nice little commission for Madrid-based Sid is what it is.

As for living in their own little bubble, I agree. For Torres though I think it's even more urgent because deep down lies the fear that injuries are slowly robbing him of his ability, a progressive deterioration. As a Chelsea fan said in the SK thread, there's a distinct whiff of Van Basten about him and I reckon he won't see 30 football-wise.
This is probably the only  thing you've said in this thread that I've agreed with and it goes to the heart of Torres' psychological state. What's even more shocking than my agreeing with you on something is a Chelsea fan having such insight... :o
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #877 on: February 5, 2011, 10:47:13 pm »
Rossipersempre you could well be right, he may not have that long to go (perhaps making his decision more plausible then (though no less disappointing for us fans))
It's still a selfish shithouse stunt to pull, but playing Devil's advocate he's had more knee surgeries in the past two years than is healthy, and although he's recovered well each time, I wonder if Cugat has said something to him akin to being on 'borrowed time' in terms of the long-term prognosis and scar tissue/degenerative changes each time. It is after all the most unstable and load-bearing joint in the human body.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #878 on: February 5, 2011, 10:49:08 pm »
he lied to the supporters. And whilst I understand his decisions for leaving he still is a lying twat. I guess what it comes down to is whether you find lying acceptable or not.

And reading that article he suggests he continued to give performances when the reality is he sulked his way through most games this season.

I hate the fact we lost a world class player but if he doesn't want to be here and is going to sulk his way through matches than we are better off without him.

The less he says the better.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Serenity

• Legacy Fan
  • ...innuh in kuhtluss
    • Institutional Renaissance Academic System
« Reply #879 on: February 5, 2011, 11:26:11 pm »
Why do we hate Nottingham Forest?

You know how we have that song:

"We hate Nottingham Forest, We hate Everton too, We have Man Utd., but Liverpool we love you!"
I am walking the earth... ... walking the earth. My marido is basque, he is bright; my children are resplendent, luminous. We are walking the earth... ... walking earth... ...walking earth...

I say. I decide....such is life...happy in faith.
God has spoken; be careful, imitation is flattery.

- Tee'kum'tee'bak'kai'laa bak'kuh'laa'aa'aa'aa'aal