Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1760915 times)

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
Re: Let's Improve the Atmosphere at Anfield (split from Fortress Anfield)
« Reply #10360 on: February 1, 2019, 03:11:52 pm »
Liverpool v Burnley just been moved from Saturday 9 March 3pm to Sunday 10 March midday.

Hardly a good one for the atmosphere. I was at the Fulham one earlier this season and it was just too early! :(

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10361 on: February 1, 2019, 03:29:44 pm »
Liverpool v Burnley just been moved from Saturday 9 March 3pm to Sunday 10 March midday.

Hardly a good one for the atmosphere. I was at the Fulham one earlier this season and it was just too early! :(
Yeah, I spotted that.

Not ideal, especially against a team like Burnley. A nasty mix of people expecting us to win easily and them being good at setting up to frustrate.

Proper banana skin. I fuckin hate midday kick offs.

Offline KingKolo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10362 on: February 1, 2019, 03:31:34 pm »
On the positive side, however, I can reassure the likes of yourself - someone who we used to term a "pink echo supporter" back in the day - that the crowd was nowhere near collectively as bad as it seems to have come across on your TV. Obviously the TV folks are delighted to try and crank up the tension. But honestly the support from those of us who do actively sing and chant even in the Main Stand was pretty damn good all things considered - as myself and a few others have already testified.
You're totally right about the TV giving a distorted picture, but inside the ground it wasn't great the other night.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #10363 on: February 1, 2019, 05:36:44 pm »
Thanks for the reply Timbo. I appreciate it and glad it wasn’t as bad as how it came across on the tv or as others were making it out to be. Honestly, I do get it and wouldn’t dream of telling others what to do, if that’s how it came across I apologise. What I said was with best intentions. We’re a collective and all in this together. Like everyone else, I just want us all pulling in the same direction but totally understand how atmospheres ebb and flow based on so many factors. Anyway, as I said, glad it wasn’t as bad as it came across and will pay less attention to tv cameras focussing on a few who may be having a hard time of it and more on the collective.

Just quickly read the footy section in tonight's Echo and James Pearce is echoing the sentiments expressed by yourself and others in the thread about the crowd's anxiety trasnsmitting itself to the players especially when the groans follow a misplaced pass. He reckons Kloppie turned around to bollock the crowd at one point for groaning after Sadio misplaced a pass. Also Virgil was interviewed after the game and commented on him sensing the crowd's nervousness.

Not sure what to say.

If it's an attempt either of Pearce himself or Kloppie via Pearce to persuade some of those who do have a tendency to moan and groan to stop doing so when it's a tight game and the tension is racking up and stupid errors are being made, then fair enough. Good luck with it. I pray it works. However, based on my own Anfield experiences over 50 odd years I'll bet a pound to a pinch of shit that it's not going to succeed if the flow of the game replicates Wednesday night's nailbiter when we came so close to dropping all three points on more than one occasion - and mainly down to our own sloppiness.

I'd have thought myself the better option would have been for Pearce and presumably Kloppie [via Pearce] to accentuate the positive and lavish some well deserved praise on those who did support the team and appeal for those less supportive ones - including the likes of my own mates - to do likewise.

Incidentally Ski, don't get me wrong I crave the huge noisy days/nights and I do agree that the ideal for ensuring maximum home points is for Anfield to be a cauldron of noisy positivity like on the very best Euro nights. Fingers crossed we get something along those lines. But if the games pan out along the lines of Wednesday night then I fear that Pearce, Kloppie and Virgil are going to have to put up with a mixture of support and groaning. Maybe the ball's actually in their court and they need to persuade Robbo or anyone to go on a few Arsenal-like 200 yard mad dashes around the pitch to inject some life into some of the cardboard cut-out dummies who need a bomb underneath them, my own mates included.
« Last Edit: February 1, 2019, 05:49:34 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #10364 on: February 1, 2019, 05:40:02 pm »
You're totally right about the TV giving a distorted picture, but inside the ground it wasn't great the other night.

Agreed mate. It was by no means 'great'. But mixed with the groaning and sighing there was still plenty of support from start to finish considering how the game panned out and the relative paucity of our usual attacking verve.

« Last Edit: February 1, 2019, 05:51:29 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline legendkiller

• Legacy Fan
  • Never get out of bed before noon
« Reply #10365 on: February 1, 2019, 11:53:02 pm »
Christ mate - there's always been moaning and groaning at footy games. I learnt that when I was in my teens on the Kop. I remember regularly defending Gordon Milne and Roger Hunt against the moaners when those players were on the downward slope but you're never going to stop them who moan from moaning and groaning. Some people just do it and to be fair last night there were loads of unforced errors/shortcomings which even had Kloppie himself joining the moaners and groaners. The main thing was, however, the crowd [or those of us who do sing and chant even in the main Stand] never stopped trying to urge the team on. If you doubt me then watch the BT re-run of the game. The support throughout is clear as a bell. And in such a game as last night with the multitude of frustrations it coughed up you're simply never going to get much more than that.

Best to lower your expectations I'd say. Or wait for the big Euro nights and hope we don't make as many unforced errors as last night.
Nah mate these circumstances are different , league is everything here and  players worked their socks off to get in this position. Its not about flags etc and first half was good . Its about the last twenty mins and a little bit of football intelligence by the supporters not petulance . Now if it was two nil and utter dour football it would not be an issue but think we all need to pull in one direction and get this done . Rewatching the game the ref and pitch were massive factors so onwards 
" I asked for a sofa and they bought me a lamp ".

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #10366 on: February 2, 2019, 12:11:40 am »
Nah mate these circumstances are different , league is everything here and  players worked their socks off to get in this position. Its not about flags etc and first half was good . Its about the last twenty mins and a little bit of football intelligence by the supporters not petulance . Now if it was two nil and utter dour football it would not be an issue but think we all need to pull in one direction and get this done . Rewatching the game the ref and pitch were massive factors so onwards 

All well and good mate. All pulling together? - ooer matron. To be fair, in theory I couldn't agree with you more. In reality however? Well, have you seen some of those who comprise a not inconsiderable element of our crowd? Many are barely alive fer fucks sake. Just accept it. If we have replicas of Wednesday night's circumstances then the mixture of sighs and groans and mercifully contrasting chants and songs will be exactly the same. Let's just hope there are no more replicas, so that the former two negative noises are kept to a minimum.

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #10367 on: February 2, 2019, 09:11:11 am »
All well and good mate. All pulling together? - ooer matron. To be fair, in theory I couldn't agree with you more. In reality however? Well, have you seen some of those who comprise a not inconsiderable element of our crowd? Many are barely alive fer fucks sake. Just accept it. If we have replicas of Wednesday night's circumstances then the mixture of sighs and groans and mercifully contrasting chants and songs will be exactly the same. Let's just hope there are no more replicas, so that the former two negative noises are kept to a minimum.

Really appreciative of your comments here Timbo, as sadly, I don't get to as many games as I'd like anymore so don't have any recent first-hand experience to call on. I particularly take your point that on many (most?) occasions things are already fine particularly on European nights.

Taking that first sentence as a caveat to what I'm about to say, you, or anyone else would be perfectly entitled to tell me to STFU. That aside, however, here we go  :)

Given that our manager and at least one senior player have felt the need to comment on what might be a potential factor in relation to team performance I'd be reluctant to endorse an approach of doing nothing and hoping everything will be ok or resigning ourselves to the fact that nothing can be changed.

Then, of course, the inevitable question - what the hell can we do about it? Personally and specifically, I have no fucking clue, but surely, in the longer term at least, the first area we should be looking at as a club must be ticket pricing and allocation and secondly (perhaps in the even longer-term) safe standing?

I've been very hesitant to post this to be honest as I'm well aware that these issues have been discussed to death on here and, of course, we have even had campaigns on pricing in the past. Whats changed since then?

Well, our manager and player comments for one thing. Jurgen has, by all accounts, revolutionised many things in relation to how the club is run. Very significant changes in the internal hierarchy of those in charge of the running of the club have obviously occurred too. Might the climate be different if Jurgen and his senior players took it upon themselves to try to influence the club re. ticket pricing and allocation?

Who knows. Maybe the fact they've commented publicly on it carries an obligation to try to influence things? Perhaps not :P I'd certainly rather they concerned themselves with winning trophies at this stage of the season!

For me, though, there's no doubt as to where the root of the problem lies (ticket pricing and allocation). If Jurgen set his sights on trying to improve the atmosphere by influencing club policy in this area, well theres no better man to do something about it.

Maybe the real answer (and true root of the problem) is winning a few trophies though? ;D
« Last Edit: February 2, 2019, 09:41:38 am by SinceSixtyFive »

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #10368 on: February 2, 2019, 09:56:03 am »
^^^^ winning a few trophies potentially makes things worse. Still, Be nice to see both, win something and use that to get more 16-24 year olds in the ground rather than more tourists. It’s a simple question of whether they want to think long term or not.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #10369 on: February 2, 2019, 11:45:23 am »
^^^^ winning a few trophies potentially makes things worse. Still, Be nice to see both, win something and use that to get more 16-24 year olds in the ground rather than more tourists. It’s a simple question of whether they want to think long term or not.

This. After the Champions League run-in last season it has been noticeably harder to get tickets this season, and when I have managed to get tickets I have noticed a higher proportion of 'tourists' sat up in the L-Postcodes. There is already stories in the Echo of queues of people lining up outside houses in Anfield waiting to pay massively over-the-odds for touted tickets.

I think if we do end up winning the league or some other big trophy it will just get worse.

Unfortunately I don't see our club doing anything about it unless there is a league-wide change.
« Last Edit: February 2, 2019, 11:48:28 am by Indomitable_Carp »

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10370 on: February 2, 2019, 02:18:06 pm »

Aye, fair point. Reading the discussion I also cant help thinking that a big issue is also the fact that we have won so much in the past. Essentially, we have a divided fanbase - those like me who have seen us win it all and are maybe more relaxed about things seemingly going against us and those who haven't and maybe aren't so chilled. I'm lucky - I can just turn my pacemaker down if I get too anxious  ;)

I'm also aware that there might be a little aloofness, snobbery, condesension and pretentiousness from some (me included) who have supported the club for a long time and been there, done that and got the t-shirt so to speak. Down with this sort of thing!! Again, I'm as guilty as anyone so maybe we all need to have a little look at ourselves in the mirror.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #10371 on: February 2, 2019, 04:29:14 pm »
Really appreciative of your comments here Timbo, as sadly, I don't get to as many games as I'd like anymore so don't have any recent first-hand experience to call on. I particularly take your point that on many (most?) occasions things are already fine particularly on European nights.

Taking that first sentence as a caveat to what I'm about to say, you, or anyone else would be perfectly entitled to tell me to STFU. That aside, however, here we go  :)

Given that our manager and at least one senior player have felt the need to comment on what might be a potential factor in relation to team performance I'd be reluctant to endorse an approach of doing nothing and hoping everything will be ok or resigning ourselves to the fact that nothing can be changed.

Then, of course, the inevitable question - what the hell can we do about it? Personally and specifically, I have no fucking clue, but surely, in the longer term at least, the first area we should be looking at as a club must be ticket pricing and allocation and secondly (perhaps in the even longer-term) safe standing?

I've been very hesitant to post this to be honest as I'm well aware that these issues have been discussed to death on here and, of course, we have even had campaigns on pricing in the past. Whats changed since then?

Well, our manager and player comments for one thing. Jurgen has, by all accounts, revolutionised many things in relation to how the club is run. Very significant changes in the internal hierarchy of those in charge of the running of the club have obviously occurred too. Might the climate be different if Jurgen and his senior players took it upon themselves to try to influence the club re. ticket pricing and allocation?

Who knows. Maybe the fact they've commented publicly on it carries an obligation to try to influence things? Perhaps not :P I'd certainly rather they concerned themselves with winning trophies at this stage of the season!

For me, though, there's no doubt as to where the root of the problem lies (ticket pricing and allocation). If Jurgen set his sights on trying to improve the atmosphere by influencing club policy in this area, well theres no better man to do something about it.

Maybe the real answer (and true root of the problem) is winning a few trophies though? ;D

No problem mate. From your user name you clearly go back to the time I do so you see things through a similar lens to me.

As regards the safe standing, I think I'll always retain the position that at Anfield any such decision should rest 100% with the Hillsborough families. Personally, I'm not too keen myself but have no firm stance as long as it's safe but what I definitely wouldn't want to see is say a central area in the kop with the sort of localized constant singing/chanting a la Crystal Palace whilst the rest of the ground passes the buck of singing to them.

In general about the vital role of the crowd during a title run like this one I agree with what you say. I can also see that some could regard as somewhat complacent my own view that wiping out moaning and groaning is not possible, particularly as you say in view of the apparent show of concern from Kloppie and Virgil. Indeed, if hypothetically all those who moan and groan or just sit there like cardboard cut-outs were banned - including any of those I go the match with - then I'd not have a great problem. I'd miss the craic with them to and from and in the ground but if it was for the good of the team then fuck them LOL!!! Of course, I can say that cos it ain't gonna happen - but you get my drift. And long term, replacing the cardboard cut-outs with living, breathing feisty young reds is clearly a step in the right direction - although one thing I would say is that the cardboard cut-outs are by no means limited to old farts as the majority of the younger ones I see at the match appear to be afflicted with an inability or unwillingness to exercise their lungs and tonsils.

All that said, contrary to what some in these threads have said, I think the sort of support we had on Wednesday night was decent enough. Sure it wasn't great, but there were enough shows of support throughout for Kloppie and the players to know that the crowd was in their corner. And, had there been less sloppiness from the players - Allisson had 4 instances to name but one player - then the sighing, moaning and groaning would have been far less |I'm sure. 

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10372 on: February 2, 2019, 04:31:27 pm »
Asked if he felt that there was an element of nervousness in the crowd, Van Dijk said:

“It sounded like it. It didn't transmit to me and I don't think it did to my team-mates, but obviously you get that feeling as well from the crowd and I think it’s not really necessary at the moment. But obviously everyone wants to win so bad and that’s what we want as well but sometimes you need to be very patient. In the end it’s all about showing on the pitch and we’re not going to be affected by that. We want everyone to cheer us on and keep pushing even if we have tough moments, even if we’re 1-0 down or maybe more. We just need everyone to pull in the same direction and keep going, that’s the only way forward.”

Did an Anfield experience today and Aldo said the players do feel it. Phil Neal said it is far far too early in the year to even be thinking about winning the league. Neither even wanted anyone to ask if they thought we would win it.

I was spoilt growing up with seeing constant league wins, but one thing we never did was worry about the title in January or February. It's a cliche, but just take it one game at a time and enjoy the ride, cos it's fucking boss this.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Mactavish

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10373 on: February 2, 2019, 04:34:04 pm »
Did an Anfield experience today and Aldo said the players do feel it. Phil Neal said it is far far too early in the year to even be thinking about winning the league. Neither even wanted anyone to ask if they thought we would win it.

I was spoilt growing up with seeing constant league wins, but one thing we never did was worry about the title in January or February. It's a cliche, but just take it one game at a time and enjoy the ride, cos it's fucking boss this.

Certainly beats the old 'race for the top four' mate.

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10374 on: February 2, 2019, 06:57:38 pm »

Well then, you know what? We're making progress.

Wasn't too long ago that I remember constant debate on whether the crowd could or should actually influence the players attitude (in a negative sense I mean - don't think there was ever much debate on the Kop's ability to lift a performance).

"They're professionals it shouldn't effect them". "They're getting paid a fucking fortune - let them suck it up" etc etc.

Maybe theres hope. For me I'll continue to enjoy the roller coaster ride that is supporting this incredible club.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10375 on: February 3, 2019, 11:36:07 am »
^

I'm loving this season.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #10376 on: February 4, 2019, 03:51:50 pm »
Those of us who wouldn't let the criticism of the crowd within this thread go unchallenged knew 100% that the media - and a fair few on here too - were misrepresenting the quality of support the crowd showed on Wednesday night. Thank fuck we have a manager who actually sees it as it fucking is. Well in Kloppie lad for coming out in tonight's Echo and praising the support last Wednesday night and understanding that in the circumstances we and the team found ourselves in on the night a degree of moaning, sighing and groaning to accompany the support was inevitable.

What a fucking man.

;D

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #10377 on: February 4, 2019, 10:22:58 pm »
The place needs to be rocking on satD, the players need our support more than any point this season...

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #10378 on: February 4, 2019, 10:24:37 pm »
Those of us who wouldn't let the criticism of the crowd within this thread go unchallenged knew 100% that the media - and a fair few on here too - were misrepresenting the quality of support the crowd showed on Wednesday night. Thank fuck we have a manager who actually sees it as it fucking is. Well in Kloppie lad for coming out in tonight's Echo and praising the support last Wednesday night and understanding that in the circumstances we and the team found ourselves in on the night a degree of moaning, sighing and groaning to accompany the support was inevitable.

What a fucking man.

;D

He is a fucking man.  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #10379 on: February 5, 2019, 09:49:48 am »
He is a fucking man.  ;D

Got to admit though Jill. Last night against West ham the nervous home crowd really did fuck up our performance.

::)

Offline legendkiller

• Legacy Fan
  • Never get out of bed before noon
« Reply #10380 on: February 6, 2019, 01:09:37 am »
Got to admit though Jill. Last night against West ham the nervous home crowd really did fuck up our performance.

::)
Aw mate that's  a bit silly.
" I asked for a sofa and they bought me a lamp ".

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #10381 on: February 6, 2019, 01:17:26 am »
Aw mate that's  a bit silly.

You call it silly if you wish. As for me I'd say it depends how angry you felt about the dissing of the crowd last wednesday night by some posters in this thread when all told the crowd had actually been pretty fucking decent all things considered. And I openly admit I was most certainly pretty pissed off with the criticism. Hence the attempt at irony concerning us turning in an even more below par performance when there was no fabled "Anfield nervousness" on which to pin the blame.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2019, 01:20:43 am by Timbo's Goals »

Offline KingKolo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10382 on: February 6, 2019, 10:06:06 am »
You call it silly if you wish. As for me I'd say it depends how angry you felt about the dissing of the crowd last wednesday night by some posters in this thread when all told the crowd had actually been pretty fucking decent all things considered. And I openly admit I was most certainly pretty pissed off with the criticism. Hence the attempt at irony concerning us turning in an even more below par performance when there was no fabled "Anfield nervousness" on which to pin the blame.
Liverpool Echo View From The Kop podcast, and Anfield Wrap podcast.
Both of them contained long discussions about how shit the atmosphere was for Leicester.

I haven't heard anyone anywhere suggesting that it was 'pretty fucking decent'.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #10383 on: February 6, 2019, 12:12:13 pm »
Both of them contained long discussions about how shit the atmosphere was for Leicester.

Well, for starters, there's myself [with 50 odd years regular Anfield attendance, a book about the nature of lifelong support of this club and the "Anfield Forever" campaign under my belt] and a few others in this thread who were actually at the game - and speaking personally I very much did sing my lungs out in support of the team along with a fair few others by me in the main stand Kop end. Regrettably those who do not join in include my own mates who like so many more fickle folk tend only for whatever reason to join in such displays of support when everything is going well.

Also to back up what I say there's the evidence of the video of the game itself. If you watch it what you hear is the opening 15-20 minutes of the game featuring constant singing and chanting whilst for the entire rest of the game there's pretty consistent outbreaks of support and encouragement whenever there's a tiny slivver of attacking potency.

That's not to say there wasn't any moaning and groaning and sighing especially of course during the latter 70 minutes of the game as it looked increasingly likely that Leicester might actually win the game as we made more and more stupid unforced errors.

My point on that aspect - which I've stated more than a few times earlier in the thread -  is that nobody can point me to any Liverpool home game with similar circumstances and context over the past 50 years I've been attending when exactly the same sort of heightened tension and sighing and groaning doesn't grip the crowd. The main thing in such circumstances is for those of the crowd that do "express their support" - including myself - continue to do so throughout those tense periods. And that is precisely what those in the crowd who provide that sort of support did last fucking Wednesday night.

What has transpired since the game, however, is a widespread 'received loaded wisdom' from the media via their selected snapshots of those in the crowd seemingly most distressed by the tension - together with Van Dijk's and Klopp's inevitable initial nodding responses to the media's post game loaded questions about the crowd's nervousness.

More revealing, however, were Kloppie's more considered comments a day or so later to which I referred above where he was at pains to point out how supportive and fantastic the crowd have been and how inevitable a degree of tension is at such times.

In years gone by nobody has been more critical of collective crowd apathy than myself whenever I felt it warranted. Indeed, there's been a few games this season where it has been anything but 'pretty fucking decent' despite the efforts of those stalwarts who always attempt to get something going.

Last wednesday night, however, was most certainly not one of those nights when the crowd deserved criticism as the displays of support were indeed pretty fucking decent.

« Last Edit: February 6, 2019, 12:22:47 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10384 on: February 6, 2019, 12:17:27 pm »

It wasn't only our own fans who took note of the anxiety though.

Van Dijk mentioned it in his interview, and even a neutral like Mark Noble even decided to comment on what he sensed when watching the Leicester match.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #10385 on: February 6, 2019, 12:21:08 pm »
It wasn't only our own fans who took note of the anxiety though.

Van Dijk mentioned it in his interview, and even a neutral like Mark Noble even decided to comment on what he sensed when watching the Leicester match.

As I said above - Virgil answered loaded questions. Noble too will have been led by the media agenda which is clearly designed to rack up the tension and add to the spectacle.

As I say, most revealing are Kloppie's more considered and reflective comments a day or so later when he said exactly the opposite.

Offline Mr.Savage

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10386 on: February 6, 2019, 12:27:36 pm »
Thought the atmosphere for Leicester was alright. My seat was in L8 so towards the Kop. Noise coming from there all night.

I joined in every time, unfortunately the vast majority around me didn’t, except for the chorus of Allez Allez Allez. Lost of foreigners mind.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #10387 on: February 6, 2019, 12:38:56 pm »
Thought the atmosphere for Leicester was alright. My seat was in L8 so towards the Kop. Noise coming from there all night.

I joined in every time, unfortunately the vast majority around me didn’t, except for the chorus of Allez Allez Allez. Lost of foreigners mind.

Needless to say that's how I saw it.

Of course the irony is that until the last say 15 years or so the only noise - certainly the singing and chanting - in all but the very big games only ever came from the Kop. The rest of the ground - especially the Kemlyn and main stand and paddock were all cardboard cut outs.

;D

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #10388 on: February 6, 2019, 12:56:11 pm »
Needless to say that's how I saw it.

Of course the irony is that until the last say 15 years or so the only noise - certainly the singing and chanting - in all but the very big games only ever came from the Kop. The rest of the ground - especially the Kemlyn and main stand and paddock were all cardboard cut outs.

;D

Hell of a noise used to come from the Kemlyn in the closing ten minutes.

All those white seats flipping.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10389 on: February 6, 2019, 01:04:43 pm »
As I said above - Virgil answered loaded questions. Noble too will have been led by the media agenda which is clearly designed to rack up the tension and add to the spectacle.

As I say, most revealing are Kloppie's more considered and reflective comments a day or so later when he said exactly the opposite.

I think you have a really fair point about the agenda that was being orchestrated by BT that night, especially the time they spent showing people hiding behind their hands and the such like. You are also right about a lot of the time it being mainly the Kop end that would sing. Having said that I stood in the Anny Road end of that Chelsea CL game the season we won number five, that night all four sides were bouncing away and then everyone left the stadium singing away.

Managers and players are always being led by the media especially straight after the game. I often think its unfair as your initial first thoughts on a game can change after a day or so of reflection. The point is not everyone wants to sing, I loved it as it helped me control any nervous feelings I may have had, but not everyone is the same.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #10390 on: February 6, 2019, 01:05:42 pm »

Exacty. I'm in the Kop and most around me were singin' our guts out........the new 'Bobby' one was the loudest I've heard it (except we still need to sort that second line out !). Don't understand all the criticism - nowhere near as 'awful' as some are making it out to be.

;D ;D

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10391 on: February 6, 2019, 01:06:48 pm »
Exacty. I'm in the Kop and most around me were singin' our guts out........the new 'Bobby' one was the loudest I've heard it (except we still need to sort that second line out !). Don't understand all the criticism - nowhere near as 'awful' as some are making it out to be. ;D ;D

No sign of a song for Trent yet? That would be cool.  ;D

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #10392 on: February 6, 2019, 01:11:33 pm »
No sign of a song for Trent yet? That would be cool.  ;D
Yeah, it would you're right. On the Firmino one, I don't understand the need to sing at break neck speed. Why don't we slow it down so the second line fits in better ie 'Best in the world...Fir -min - oooo !' (take the 'his name is Bobby' out) ?

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #10393 on: February 6, 2019, 01:11:58 pm »

Ha ha

;D

Post of the thread!!!!

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10394 on: February 6, 2019, 01:13:06 pm »
Yeah, it would you're right. On the Firmino one, I don't understand the need to sing at break neck speed. Why don't we slow it down so the second line fits in better ie 'Best in the world...Fir -min - oooo !' (take the Bobby out) ?

It seems to be something about modern crowds, even some of the old songs which would get sung would be belted our really quickly. It's like everyone is in a hurry to get it out of the way and start up another one, I was always getting left behind.  ;D

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #10395 on: February 6, 2019, 01:18:26 pm »

Just another thought on your post.

Whilst everyone has the right to express their views, there is a danger of taking as gospel the views aired by folks on the likes of the Echo Fan View and the Anfield Wrap. When all's said and done they are merely fans like you and me and like me and you their perspectives and opinions can be flawed.

Indeed, I believe I did get something wrong once concerning my take on LFC. Just can't recall what it was!!!

;D

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #10396 on: February 6, 2019, 01:21:33 pm »
Yeah, it would you're right. On the Firmino one, I don't understand the need to sing at break neck speed. Why don't we slow it down so the second line fits in better ie 'Best in the world...Fir -min - oooo !' (take the 'his name is Bobby' out) ?

Here's what I sing rightly or wrongly. Thing is it scans for me.

There's something that I want you all to know

The best in the world is Bobby Fir-Meen -O

Our number nine

Give him the ball [sung quick] and he'll score every time

Si Senor

Give the ball to Bobby and he will score

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #10397 on: February 6, 2019, 01:22:42 pm »

Here's what I sing rightly or wrongly. Thing is it just about scans for me.

Our number nine

Give him the ball and he'll score every time

Si Senor

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #10398 on: February 6, 2019, 01:28:47 pm »
Just another thought on your post.

Whilst everyone has the right to express their views, there is a danger of taking as gospel the views aired by folks on the likes of the Echo Fan View and the Anfield Wrap. When all's said and done they are merely fans like you and me and like me and you their perspectives and opinions can be flawed.

Indeed, I believe I did get something wrong once concerning my take on LFC. Just can't recall what it was!!!

;D

Great reading this thread the past week and taking everything you've said on board Timbo. I was one of the ones bemoaning, ironically, the crowd on Wednesday and I've read everything you've posted and it's changed my perception. As a fan who doesn't get to games and sitting a couple of hundred miles away I suppose it's my own sense of sense of frustration at my lack of a chance to help the atmosphere that comes to the fore. I now understand it's easy for me to sit here and say I'd be singing my heart out for 90 minutes but I never take in to account any of the circumstances as to why somebody wouldn't be able to do that.

I always try to come on here and commend the support home or away when they've been loud, I'll jib off coming on here complaining about it from now on when there's people who were actually at the ground saying it wasn't bad at all. My apologies.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #10399 on: February 6, 2019, 01:45:01 pm »
Here's what I sing rightly or wrongly. Thing is it just about scans for me.

Our number nine

Give him the ball and he'll score every time

Si Senor

Yeah, that works too Timbo.......anything is better than the fast speed that second line is sung at the moment !