Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1760755 times)

Online Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Atmosphere at Anfield
« Reply #14600 on: March 12, 2024, 11:34:10 am »
Definitely more flags appearing on the kop looked superb on Sunday, be great if that could keep growing in number.

Online Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14601 on: March 13, 2024, 01:30:14 pm »
Echoing what others have said; I was in the upper Annie and the atmosphere was superb. Think it’s actually my fav stand after the Kop now based on my experiences so far.

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14602 on: March 13, 2024, 01:51:46 pm »
Excellent performance all round on Sunday. Looked great with more flags too. There’s no ground in world football that reads and interprets the game like our place and the ability to react and affect the stuff on the pitch is truly remarkable. It’s not manufactured or choreographed. It simply reacts accordingly to what’s being played out on the park. As others have said before me,  single episodes and key moments can be the catalyst to turn the place into one big fucking madhouse. A foul, or a shite decision. One kick is all it takes!! 
You can’t learn that or be taught it. It’s in our DNA, it’s hidden in the pillars at Anfield and under the soil along with the ashes of our late dads and granddads which were sprinkled around and near  the Kop!
The margins in such a high-level game of football like Sunday are minimal and any advantage needs to be used. We give the team that advantage and we are able to do it exactly when it’s needed.
But the fact that we don’t do it on a rainy 12 o’clock kick-off against Brentford shouldn’t be of major concern. We shouldn’t beat ourselves up about it and say that the Kop’s not what it once was. It’s there when needed and that’s good enough. And when it’s there, it’s the best in football.
What we do need though is a good hearty one-liner from the Kop when your Mickey Mouse teams give it the old ,”where’s your famous atmosphere?” nonsense . Something along the lines of the famous retort from the Kop to 1970s away fans who were mouthing bollocks, “sing something simple, you simple twats.” (The retort was brilliant and its tune came from an old BBC tv series “Sing Something simple).
A modern day equivalent would be great!

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #14603 on: March 13, 2024, 01:55:48 pm »
I'd like to hear the Kop sing "Where's our famous atmosphere?" in a brief lull after 15 minutes of classic, relentless, high-octane, ear-drum popping, super-sonic sound on a big European night. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline pl_kop_1969

• Main Stander
« Reply #14604 on: March 13, 2024, 03:46:10 pm »
Echoing what others have said; I was in the upper Annie and the atmosphere was superb. Think it’s actually my fav stand after the Kop now based on my experiences so far.

I don't doubt it's my favourite stand after the Kop. To be honest, it has advantages over the Kop. My middle lad is 6'6" and he actually fits in the seat and you get a great view of the Kop. I'll probably do at least one cup in the upper Annie from now on each season.

Online Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14605 on: March 13, 2024, 04:25:06 pm »
I don't doubt it's my favourite stand after the Kop. To be honest, it has advantages over the Kop. My middle lad is 6'6" and he actually fits in the seat and you get a great view of the Kop. I'll probably do at least one cup in the upper Annie from now on each season.

And to be fair the Annie upperi actually think won the battle of the scarves on Sunday it had way more than the kop, we could get a bit of a stand challenge going here lol

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #14606 on: March 13, 2024, 06:12:29 pm »
And to be fair the Annie upperi actually think won the battle of the scarves on Sunday it had way more than the kop, we could get a bit of a stand challenge going here lol
The Kop looked great for flags, but very disappointing for scarves.

I'm glad the Upper Anny really seems to be taking off. It looks and sounds really good.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #14607 on: March 13, 2024, 07:07:08 pm »
Upper Anny has been great everytime we've been up there.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #14608 on: March 13, 2024, 07:58:21 pm »

Get in!
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #14609 on: March 13, 2024, 08:14:41 pm »
When was the last time the Annie sang Kopites are gobshites

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14610 on: March 13, 2024, 08:15:24 pm »
I'd say there was plenty of scarves to be honest :D boss Reds showing their colours and their clean arses to Chopper.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #14611 on: March 13, 2024, 08:21:18 pm »
Get in!
I just knew you'd have a hand in it. I bet you were outside confiscating scarves off people going through the turnstiles.

;)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14612 on: March 13, 2024, 08:28:17 pm »
Upper Anny has been great everytime we've been up there.

Self praise is no praise.

Online Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14613 on: March 13, 2024, 09:02:32 pm »

I'm glad the Upper Anny really seems to be taking off. It looks and sounds really good.

Definitely more flags hopefully the numbers keep going up, scarves were honestly put to shame by the upper Annie.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #14614 on: March 14, 2024, 07:24:47 am »
Will be interesting to see if the atmosphere is as ferocious for Brighton.

Online Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14615 on: March 14, 2024, 11:13:44 am »

It needs to be the same if not better for every remaining game, no excuse from us in the stands.

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #14616 on: March 14, 2024, 01:56:23 pm »

Depends if we go a goal down or not

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #14617 on: March 14, 2024, 03:16:16 pm »
When was the last time the Annie sang Kopites are gobshites

Hopefully its sung again soon.

They need scarf-shaming.
JFT97

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14618 on: March 14, 2024, 04:01:09 pm »
I've mainly only sat on the Kop for about 10 years, but have a range of other seats this half of the season. is there a reason flags aren't allowed in other parts of the stadium? would like to take one for the last game of the season, albeit somehow we have MSU tickets.
YNWA.

Online Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14619 on: March 14, 2024, 04:47:50 pm »
I've mainly only sat on the Kop for about 10 years, but have a range of other seats this half of the season. is there a reason flags aren't allowed in other parts of the stadium? would like to take one for the last game of the season, albeit somehow we have MSU tickets.

Can’t see a reason why they wouldn’t allow them in the annie road upper, you could be the trend setter.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #14620 on: March 14, 2024, 05:07:30 pm »
I'd imagine it's something that needs to be cleared with the club. There are very strict guidelines on the flags and from what I have heard with others in the past, you could just as easily have it confiscated from you if the stewards there haven't been told.
JFT97

Online Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14621 on: March 14, 2024, 05:56:24 pm »
I'd imagine it's something that needs to be cleared with the club. There are very strict guidelines on the flags and from what I have heard with others in the past, you could just as easily have it confiscated from you if the stewards there haven't been told.

Might be something worth the fans groups looking into, if we can get flags and build the atmosphere in there it can’t be a bad thing

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14622 on: March 14, 2024, 06:17:47 pm »

The other big waver goes along the Lower Centenary most weeks.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14623 on: March 14, 2024, 06:29:40 pm »

From the ticket email:

The current LFC flag policy is that commercially produced flags under 2m x 1m with a small pole (less than 7mm diameter and less than 1m long) will be allowed in all areas of the stadium.

Flags and banners over 2m x 1m may be allowed into the Kop stand or Visitors section providing they have an accompanying fire safety certificate and agreement has been requested by the club and given prior to the fixture taking place.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 06:31:23 pm by redbyrdz »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline PaulD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Some things are more important .......
« Reply #14624 on: March 19, 2024, 06:34:19 pm »

just met up with my City supprting son in law who went to the match at Anfield for the first time with his 11 y o son - he was really impressed how friendly everyone was they met - no aggro they just had a great time

Offline fridgepants

• Main Stander
  • They should let everybody be a giant for a day
« Reply #14625 on: March 27, 2024, 03:47:52 pm »
Had my first game at Anfield at the FA Cup match against Southampton, thought I'd be all 'g'wan Conor do it for Tyrone' all over the place but when it came down to it I got weirdly shy and then felt like I'd let the side down. I was there on my own (and already a bit self-conscious about whether I'm a 'proper fan' as I only went from 'they're my family team, so...' to full on supporting a couple of years ago, please do not ask me any tactical questions) so maybe that was it? Hopefully next time I'll be sat with people who don't mind me temporarily being their buddy and joining in or even starting something.

There was a guy behind me who was on a tour with his son from the US  - the son was doing training sessions at various PL grounds, and then they were seeing different games in the evenings - think they were off to the Manchester derby not long afterwards. I wonder what they made of the Southampton fans singing 'God Save The King' and then getting booed for it.

Offline Roughie Scouse

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #14626 on: March 27, 2024, 04:16:43 pm »
Had my first game at Anfield at the FA Cup match against Southampton, thought I'd be all 'g'wan Conor do it for Tyrone' all over the place but when it came down to it I got weirdly shy and then felt like I'd let the side down. I was there on my own (and already a bit self-conscious about whether I'm a 'proper fan' as I only went from 'they're my family team, so...' to full on supporting a couple of years ago, please do not ask me any tactical questions) so maybe that was it? Hopefully next time I'll be sat with people who don't mind me temporarily being their buddy and joining in or even starting something.

There was a guy behind me who was on a tour with his son from the US  - the son was doing training sessions at various PL grounds, and then they were seeing different games in the evenings - think they were off to the Manchester derby not long afterwards. I wonder what they made of the Southampton fans singing 'God Save The King' and then getting booed for it.

Is this a wind up?!
"There are places I'll remember all my life"  The Beatles,  ISTANBUL 2005

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #14627 on: March 27, 2024, 04:20:44 pm »

You've not let anybody down, I think you may have been if you'd gone in there bawling your head off in your first game, it's a learning game, my first game was in the FA cup as well, a long time ago. I'm still learning.

Enjoy, you've chosen well (but maintain that in any darker days that come around)
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline fridgepants

• Main Stander
« Reply #14628 on: March 27, 2024, 04:21:49 pm »
Is this a wind up?!

In what sense do you think this is a wind-up?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #14629 on: March 27, 2024, 04:33:47 pm »

"'g'wan Conor do it for Tyrone'"

What does that mean?

There are plenty of 'newbies' come to the game and people usually get chatting to them if they want to chat, or don't if they just want to watch the game.

If you were sat next to someone that was just concentrating on the game, don't take it personally.

Some people are chatting, some are not, some sing, some don't. As long as you back the Reds in your own way then that's fine.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline fridgepants

• Main Stander
« Reply #14630 on: March 27, 2024, 04:34:15 pm »

You've not let anybody down, I think you may have been if you'd gone in there bawling your head off in your first game, it's a learning game, my first game was in the FA cup as well, a long time ago. I'm still learning.

Enjoy, you've chosen well (but maintain that in any darker days that come around)

I'm autistic so I'm guilty of overthinking things a bit, I guess! My dad would have been to Anfield often back in the day, but by the time I came along the family had moved, the money or desire to go wasn't there (maybe if my older brother had been into sport in the slightest) and we didn't have Sky to watch the games, so between that and tickets being hard to come by football's been a thing that happens on the radio and TV for me and the songs are something I've had to learn on my own.  It's probably a weird thing to get your head around if you've been going for years, have a group of pals to go with and a regular pre-match pint but if you don't it does feel overwhelming and even if everyone has to have a first game at some point it's almost as though you're not sure if you're meant to be there? I can't really explain it and it sounds daft written down. There's just a lot of catching up to do when you start later in life and yeah, I probably am overthinking it?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 04:38:44 pm by fridgepants »

Offline fridgepants

• Main Stander
« Reply #14631 on: March 27, 2024, 04:35:54 pm »
"'g'wan Conor do it for Tyrone'"

What does that mean?

I've got a friend from Tyrone, which is where CB is from. Obv I wasn't actually going to yell that specifically, that would just be weird, Conor isn't on the same group chat.

Offline Roughie Scouse

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #14632 on: March 27, 2024, 04:37:54 pm »
In what sense do you think this is a wind-up?

Apologies, misjudged the tone of your post totally. My mistake. YNWA
"There are places I'll remember all my life"  The Beatles,  ISTANBUL 2005

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #14633 on: March 27, 2024, 04:38:38 pm »
I've got a friend from Tyrone, which is where CB is from. Obv I wasn't actually going to yell that specifically, that would just be weird, Conor isn't on the same group chat.

.. fair enough..

I added a bit to the end of my initial post as well :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline fridgepants

• Main Stander
« Reply #14634 on: March 27, 2024, 04:39:12 pm »
Apologies, misjudged the tone of your post totally. My mistake. YNWA

Ha, now I'm curious as to what you *thought* I said  ;)

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14635 on: March 27, 2024, 05:57:10 pm »
I'm autistic so I'm guilty of overthinking things a bit, I guess! My dad would have been to Anfield often back in the day, but by the time I came along the family had moved, the money or desire to go wasn't there (maybe if my older brother had been into sport in the slightest) and we didn't have Sky to watch the games, so between that and tickets being hard to come by football's been a thing that happens on the radio and TV for me and the songs are something I've had to learn on my own.  It's probably a weird thing to get your head around if you've been going for years, have a group of pals to go with and a regular pre-match pint but if you don't it does feel overwhelming and even if everyone has to have a first game at some point it's almost as though you're not sure if you're meant to be there? I can't really explain it and it sounds daft written down. There's just a lot of catching up to do when you start later in life and yeah, I probably am overthinking it?

I've been to plenty of games 'on my own' down the years. Usually travel with mates or meet people over there, but been plenty of occasions when we're in different parts of the ground. It did feel a bit off the first few times, going in, standing about with a beer before kick off then standing beside strangers shouting and singing.
However even when I'm with mates or my lad beside each other, there's not much conversation anyway. So now whether I'm standing with people I know or people I don't, I get on pretty much exactly the same.

Just you do you at the game. Fuck what anyone else thinks.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Shearer

• Kemlynite
« Reply #14636 on: March 29, 2024, 09:19:33 pm »
Take your flags. They’ll let you in with them no problem despite the crap on the guidelines. Never had a problem.

Offline Shearer

• Kemlynite
« Reply #14637 on: March 29, 2024, 09:26:08 pm »
Again if anyone wants any 3x3m chequered flags I’ve got loads. Just let us know if you want one. They need to go to people who are actually going to take them to the game though.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #14638 on: March 30, 2024, 12:30:38 pm »
Don't be scoffing too many Easter eggs tomorrow morning either, puts you to sleep early on a warm day too many of those.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #14639 on: March 30, 2024, 03:13:39 pm »
Take your flags. They’ll let you in with them no problem despite the crap on the guidelines. Never had a problem.

In the mid 80's I had a flag and used a mop pole and the flag wouldn't stay on so I nailed it it at the top . Imagine that these days .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .