Author Topic: Merseyrail - now with added 777  (Read 53661 times)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
Re: Merseyrail
« Reply #320 on: June 16, 2022, 12:13:19 pm »
No Merseyrail trains running at all on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday next week

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #321 on: June 16, 2022, 04:46:18 pm »
No Merseyrail trains running at all on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday next week

And here is the reason why

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-61824362

Offline timmit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #322 on: June 30, 2022, 03:58:16 pm »
The guards have today accepted their proposal for the second person on the train.

It’s over to the drivers now
We are the Champions , Champions of Europe

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: July 1, 2022, 07:23:24 pm »
Got the train from St Michael's again today and they've completed most of one lift shaft on the northbound platform to Southport. Nothing much happening on the southbound platform though, and no work was taking place today. Are they only working of a night?

Also noticed that several stations, including Formby and Ainsdale, were having their platforms extended. I said a few months back that a lot of station platforms on the network wouldn't be long enough to accommodate eight car trains of the new type, so it seems they're taking steps to remedy that.

EDIT: A video from last year describes the platform lengthening at 4.43

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/aAVR9Fpzs9g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/aAVR9Fpzs9g</a>

Short version: an eight car set of 777 trains is four meters longer than a six car set of a 507/508.
« Last Edit: July 1, 2022, 07:55:31 pm by Red Berry »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: August 9, 2022, 06:18:41 pm »
Was perusing the Wikipedia article for the new Headbolt Lane station/terminus and noted that a new station "has been an objective of the local authority since 1972" :lmao

Fifty years?  Fifty effing years?  It's taken them half a flipping century to get around to building one railway station?

Also, thought this was funny, as Headbolt Lane is being built with three platforms to extend the line to Skem in the future:

The Department for Transport announced in July 2022 that it was rejecting the Strategic Outline Business Case for an extension to Skelmersdale.[9] The DfT instead suggested that better bus links with the Kirkby–Wigan rail line would be a cheaper way of improving connectivity for Skelmersdale.

Fucking cheapskates!  Who the hell would want to take a bus to Skem? ;D  Seriously though, they're the only major town without a rail link - what does this say about the government's opinion of Skelmersdale that they don't think there's a business case for one?

EDIT: interesting article, a mix of observation and speculation:

https://anonw.com/2021/05/24/headbolt-lane-station-fly-through/
« Last Edit: August 9, 2022, 06:34:42 pm by Red Berry »

Popcorn's Art

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: August 19, 2022, 05:48:51 pm »
Got the train through St Micheal’s last Tuesday and there were brickies on site, laying bricks!

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #326 on: August 19, 2022, 06:29:23 pm »
Got the train through St Micheal’s last Tuesday and there were brickies on site, laying bricks!

Haha - I saw them as well  ;D
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: August 19, 2022, 07:00:05 pm »
Aye! Seems the northbound liftshaft is almost complete. Looks like they had to expand the southbound platform and lay a concrete base before they could start work on the southbound platform shaft.

That's some effing wall that's holding back the trees and undergrowth - it's five layers of brick thick. :o

Popcorn's Art

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: August 20, 2022, 12:34:57 pm »
The ones at Hunts Cross look finished now but aren't yet in use.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #329 on: August 24, 2022, 11:31:21 am »
Interesting development. Merseyrail to come back into full UK ownership

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/new-uk-company-take-over-24839641

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: August 24, 2022, 02:23:40 pm »

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/new-uk-company-take-over-24839641

That is interesting. I know a lot of local people have many an axe to grind with Merseyrail, but I've always had the impression that the franchise holders were at least slightly above average. But then I've rarely needed the network at peak times.

The fact that Merseyrail does everything "in house" other than signalling, and that they will own the new rail stock outright instead of leasing it, probably makes them a fairly attractive proposition as a franchise.

Popcorn's Art

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #331 on: August 24, 2022, 07:55:32 pm »

What could possibly go wrong!!

Dutch did improve reliability and cut down on fair dodging massively.

Dutch view is to disinvest in UK and focus on Dutch network and cross border stuff.....

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #332 on: August 24, 2022, 08:10:32 pm »

Dutch view is to disinvest in UK and focus on Dutch network and cross border stuff.....

Yeah, they're selling all their the UK businesses, including the bus divisions they own.

https://www.abellio.com/news/key-rail-and-bus-services-return-uk-ownership
#Sausages

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: August 25, 2022, 10:40:53 am »

Yep...to be honest, I find the merseyrail network to be actually fairly well run. Yes there are issues, but as someone who commuted by train for nearly 10 years, it is prety reliable in comparison to other places.

Not sure how much influence the Dutch parent company really had, so lets see what happens...

Sort of sounds like a brexit-related move too ::)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: August 25, 2022, 11:24:11 am »
Hopefully the service stays the same, pretty reasonable overall.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #335 on: August 26, 2022, 12:44:50 pm »
Aye I like Merseyrail as trains go. Might use it today in fact

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #336 on: August 26, 2022, 11:08:33 pm »
Yep...to be honest, I find the merseyrail network to be actually fairly well run. Yes there are issues, but as someone who commuted by train for nearly 10 years, it is prety reliable in comparison to other places.

Not sure how much influence the Dutch parent company really had, so lets see what happens...

Sort of sounds like a brexit-related move too ::)

The Dutch management team lived on Merseyside and Cheshire I recall , very hands on.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: August 29, 2022, 08:01:58 pm »
A potted history of the Mersey Rail Tunnel. Some nice illustrations and photographs in this video.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wZdWkdw2V6c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wZdWkdw2V6c</a>

EDIT: it's notable at 10.49, that there's an unused guide tunnel at Central low level - a partially dug but unused tunnel that could enable the underground station to be expanded to four platforms. I don't know the logistics or practicalities of doing that without closing the entire station for remodelling, but expansion is something that station is screaming out for. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 08:16:45 pm by Red Berry »

Popcorn's Art

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #338 on: August 30, 2022, 12:02:17 pm »
A potted history of the Mersey Rail Tunnel. Some nice illustrations and photographs in this video.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wZdWkdw2V6c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wZdWkdw2V6c</a>

EDIT: it's notable at 10.49, that there's an unused guide tunnel at Central low level - a partially dug but unused tunnel that could enable the underground station to be expanded to four platforms. I don't know the logistics or practicalities of doing that without closing the entire station for remodelling, but expansion is something that station is screaming out for. 

Really interesting that. Thanks for posting.

Stuff you'd never even thing of - drainage and ventilation 'headings' - kind of obvious if you think about it, but why would you?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: August 30, 2022, 01:11:41 pm »
Really interesting that. Thanks for posting.

Stuff you'd never even thing of - drainage and ventilation 'headings' - kind of obvious if you think about it, but why would you?

You're welcome mate. I find this sort of stuff fascinating, especially the header tunnels. There are several on the network that could be utilized. Some were put in as recently as the 70s. :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #340 on: August 31, 2022, 01:25:07 pm »
Not train-related but saw in the Echo earlier that the council are planning massive cuts / timetable changes to buses across the city later this year, with the areas most affected being, of course, north end.

There's only one bus I can get from ours in L5 to my work and it only runs every 40 minutes as it is. Can't wait.
BUS NEWS stagecoach are raising prices

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: September 5, 2022, 05:06:02 pm »
Here's another very interesting historical video on the Mersey railways. This one covers Bootle New Strand. I honestly didn't have a clue of half of this.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fRSEx4nqinI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fRSEx4nqinI</a>

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: September 18, 2022, 09:00:59 pm »
Bus related rather than rail, but I've noticed that Arriva has taken over the 204 bus route from Stagecoach. The latter must have binned it off when the £2 flat fare came in - probably not profitable enough for them.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #343 on: September 18, 2022, 09:55:25 pm »
Bus related rather than rail, but I've noticed that Arriva has taken over the 204 bus route from Stagecoach. The latter must have binned it off when the £2 flat fare came in - probably not profitable enough for them.

The 204 is a Merseytravel tendered route, so Arriva outbid Stagecoach for the tender, rather than Stagecoach binning it off over the £2 fare, check the description in the what's changed section of the timetable.

https://merseytravel.adidocdn.dev/timetables/Bus/204-4Sep22.pdf
#Sausages

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: September 18, 2022, 11:02:37 pm »
The 204 is a Merseytravel tendered route, so Arriva outbid Stagecoach for the tender, rather than Stagecoach binning it off over the £2 fare, check the description in the what's changed section of the timetable.

https://merseytravel.adidocdn.dev/timetables/Bus/204-4Sep22.pdf

Oh cool, thanks for clarifying. :)

I figured it was a Merseytravel sponsored route, as it's rather specific. I can't imagine too many tears were shed by Stagecoach losing it, but at least my dayticket gives me an extra route home now. Pain in the arse that it's only every hour now, though. Chances are it won't be available when I actually want it!

Incidentally, anybody else still only getting charged 10p by Arriva for a ticket?  Seems their computer systems have been out of whack since they came back from strike.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #345 on: October 5, 2022, 09:50:23 pm »
Sounds like driver training has begun, & the new 777s should be in service soon.
#Sausages

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: October 19, 2022, 07:46:41 pm »
Heads up. Station closure incoming.

Liverpool Central station will be closed to Northern line passengers and there will be rail replacement buses on the Hunts Cross line from 22:00 on Sunday 6 November until Wednesday 9 November.

The four-day closure comes as preparations are made for the introduction of the new fleet of Class 777 trains. The works will see adjustments made to tracks and line side equipment to ensure new trains in an eight-car formation will be able to serve the station.

Wirral line services will not be affected and all Northern line services will return to normal timetables from start of service on Thursday 10 November.

A summary of services that are affected is as follows:

Hunts Cross line:

The Hunts Cross line will not operate between 22:00 on Sunday 6 November until the end of service on Wednesday 9 November. 
    A rail-replacement bus service will run between Moorfields station and Hunts Cross station. Rail replacement buses do not call at Liverpool Central.

Southport and Ormskirk lines:

From 22:00 on Sunday 6 November until 20:00 on Wednesday 9 November, Southport and Ormskirk line trains will start/terminate at Moorfields station.
    From start of service until 20:00 on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday all Southport and Ormskirk line services will operate every 20 minutes.
    After 20:00 services will operate every 30 minutes.
    From 20:00 on Wednesday 9 November, Southport and Ormskirk line trains will start/terminate at Sandhills station. Rail replacement buses will run between Sandhills and Moorfields stations. The buses will also continue to stations on the Hunts Cross line.

Kirkby line:

From 22:00 on Sunday 6 November until 20:00 on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, Kirkby line trains will start/terminate at Sandhills station.
    From start of service until 20:00 on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday all Kirkby line services will operate every 20 minutes.
    After 20:00 services will operate every 30 minutes starting and terminating at Moorfields station.
    When trains are starting and terminating at Sandhills, passengers travelling from Kirkby to Liverpool can change at Sandhills onto any service for Liverpool.
    When trains are starting and terminating at Sandhills, passengers travelling to Kirkby can board any train for Southport or Ormskirk at Moorfields and change onto services for Kirkby at Sandhills.
    From 20:00 on Wednesday 9 November Kirkby line services will start/terminate at Sandhills station. Rail replacement buses will run between Sandhills and Moorfields stations due to Ormskirk and Southport line services also starting and terminating at Sandhills. The buses will also continue to stations on the Hunts Cross line.

https://www.merseyrail.org/plan-your-journey/liverpool-central-closure-affecting-northern-line-services.aspx?fbclid=IwAR0eygJeEx7rKMgRrcHftLKiEp1xQFUVqtDuRRDeuxPWiW0EQmZH19maSSA

Popcorn's Art

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #347 on: October 20, 2022, 11:57:43 am »
Was speaking to someone in the finance team at Merseyrail and they said the new trains should be on the Kirkby line this year
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: October 27, 2022, 04:42:46 pm »
I want dibs on some of those black and white 3/6-car signs along the platforms when the 777s come in.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: October 31, 2022, 07:51:10 pm »
Seem to be quietly scrapping the old trains. This video was uploaded about 3 weeks ago, showing a 508 being carted off to the knackers yard via Bidston.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/V-Lg87CmVew&amp;ab_channel=CW" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/V-Lg87CmVew&amp;ab_channel=CW</a>

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: November 4, 2022, 04:52:42 pm »
Heads up. Station closure incoming.

https://www.merseyrail.org/plan-your-journey/liverpool-central-closure-affecting-northern-line-services.aspx?fbclid=IwAR0eygJeEx7rKMgRrcHftLKiEp1xQFUVqtDuRRDeuxPWiW0EQmZH19maSSA

The planned works have been cancelled due to impending strike action, and the article in the link has been updated to reflect this.

However, the strikes themselves have now been called off, so expect services to run as normal this weekend.

Popcorn's Art

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: November 7, 2022, 12:47:38 am »
Seem to be quietly scrapping the old trains. This video was uploaded about 3 weeks ago, showing a 508 being carted off to the knackers yard via Bidston.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/V-Lg87CmVew&amp;ab_channel=CW" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/V-Lg87CmVew&amp;ab_channel=CW</a>

Down to Newport via Abergavenny

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_meK5uiz2Ck" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_meK5uiz2Ck</a>

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #352 on: November 7, 2022, 06:24:53 am »
The strike is cancelled, and they are running a normal service today.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: November 7, 2022, 10:42:36 am »
The strike is cancelled, and they are running a normal service today.

Yep. The strike for Saturday was called off on such short notice that they couldn't put on a full service. I needed to get a bus home from New Brighton instead. 😅

Down to Newport via Abergavenny

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_meK5uiz2Ck" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_meK5uiz2Ck</a>

Aye, there's another video at Crewe where the engine has to switch ends.

Popcorn's Art

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #354 on: November 7, 2022, 07:43:33 pm »
Yep. The strike for Saturday was called off on such short notice that they couldn't put on a full service. I needed to get a bus home from New Brighton instead. 😅

Aye, there's another video at Crewe where the engine has to switch ends.

I had heard they couldn't put on full services, it's why I stayed at home.  :D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: November 7, 2022, 09:14:24 pm »

Looks like they'd already taken the step off in front of the doors.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: November 7, 2022, 09:38:59 pm »
I had heard they couldn't put on full services, it's why I stayed at home.  :D

I'd already arranged to meet people, so I couldn't really cancel. ;D

Here's a couple more vids. The train in question is 508140. Looks like its engine was nearing its hours' limit; presumably it would have needed an overhaul after that point, which of course wouldn't be cost effective. Plus they found a floor defect so decided to pull it from service early.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3GC7Lsro_EE&amp;ab_channel=merseysidepalatines1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3GC7Lsro_EE&amp;ab_channel=merseysidepalatines1</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eMVShueUYQY&amp;ab_channel=DestinationTrainsPlanes" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eMVShueUYQY&amp;ab_channel=DestinationTrainsPlanes</a>

EDIT: Actually I've just noticed something odd - this particular train appears to be silver/yellow on one side, but all yellow on the other. You can clearly see it on the first video. I didn't realise any of the trains were half and half like this.
« Last Edit: November 7, 2022, 09:51:00 pm by Red Berry »

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: November 13, 2022, 05:30:26 pm »
Interesting video for the auld arses on here. Cab ride from West Kirby-Liverpool-New Brighton, seemingly early to mid 90s. The video quality on the underground stations is bloody awful, really dark. ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dh1plj2a4V4&amp;ab_channel=AlanSpencer" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dh1plj2a4V4&amp;ab_channel=AlanSpencer</a>
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 05:40:31 pm by Red Berry »

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: December 5, 2022, 12:49:53 am »
Noticed the walkways to the new lift shafts at St Michael's are being built now.

Popcorn's Art

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: December 5, 2022, 10:06:22 pm »
Noticed the walkways to the new lift shafts at St Michael's are being built now.

So should be finished this decade? ;D