Author Topic: This is Anfield  (Read 7311 times)

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
This is Anfield
« on: March 10, 2010, 02:18:59 am »
Shanks put that sign up to remind our players who they were representing and also to remind opposing players that they were on a loser.

I'm an arl arse, and I just want see them days again.

I want to see opposing shitting themselves every time they walk down that tunnel.

Whether it's the Mancs, Barca, Real etc..

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: This is Anfield
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 02:25:54 am »
I agree Terry.
I'll add that the aura surrounding that sign was built upon the team and the fans.

The collective never say die no matter what the circumstances attitude.

That's going to be hard to get back these days when everyone has a different mindset.

Not impossible though.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline MidwestWool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wool
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 02:56:53 am »
I'm a young one, but I echo those sentiments. I know the significance of the "This Is Anfield" sign and truly wish, like most others, that we make Anfield the bastion of invincibility that it once was. We need to instill fear into the opposition, when they walk past that famous sign.

Also, it's not only upto the players, but the fans too, to make it known to the opposition that they are not only up against the eleven men chosen to represent the football club, but also each in every person in the stadium. We need to create enough noise to spur on the Redmen and raise doubts in the opposition minds. This was very evident, when the supporters decided to welcome the team prior to the game against Spurs (?) and let Tottenham know what they were up against.

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 03:04:16 am »
unfortunately anfield has been turned into a footballing theme park.the atmosphere has been diluted badly .even on european nights its not the same.
for me ,the fans have to get it right ,and the players will follow.
i know there are  arguments against that view ,but im telling yer,the twelth man should be pulling the lads out of this depression that we are going through ,and its not.
success = the absence of the fear of failure

Offline Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 03:08:04 am »
Look at the difference the effort made before the Spurs game had on the players. We the fans need to start leading and lifting the players on our shoulders.

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 03:31:09 am »
Look at the difference the effort made before the Spurs game had on the players. We the fans need to start leading and lifting the players on our shoulders.
The away fans last night were nothing short of amazing as they always are !

Offline Gigantic Lamb

• Seeks huge jar of mint sauce for quiet nights in. I need to think of a really really long Custom title. As long as possible... Any ideas PM me....I dont even like mint sauce....Whats your sauce? I am Saucy ........are you?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 06:08:41 am »

I have to disagree there mate

The players have to get it right then the fans.....
European Cups are like houses - Ultimately it's better to own than to rent.

http://twitter.com/giganticlamb

☆☆☆☆☆

Offline kirkyg

• Kopite
  • Why did Igor always look confused?
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 07:09:53 am »
There have been plenty of games where the fans have stepped up and the players havn't. We are in the shit big time and the players should have the desire, heart and determination to get us out of it. Yes the fans play a part but the players have to deliver and they are certainly not doing that.
He's big he's red he'll wack you in the head.....

Offline Bridgy

• Don't cross him.
  • Main Stander
    • For all your needs
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 07:27:10 am »
The point I came to realise a little while back is that this crop of players don't actually care about this club.  Just another pay day to them.  When you work that out is gives a whole new meaning to the word depression!!!!

Offline lainey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 07:53:30 am »
Shanks put that sign up to remind our players who they were representing and also to remind opposing players that they were on a loser.

I want to see opposing shitting themselves every time they walk down that tunnel.

agree - be proud to wear the shirt and give 100% EVERY game

Offline historyrepeatsitself

• Kemlynite
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 07:58:05 am »
unfortunately anfield has been turned into a footballing theme park.the atmosphere has been diluted badly .even on european nights its not the same.
i know there are  arguments against that view ,but im telling yer,the twelth man should be pulling the lads out of this depression that we are going through ,and its not.

spot on

Offline sparkiemark73

• Legacy Fan
  • Hairway to Steven
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 08:59:02 am »
When the sign is touched, I'd hope they'd remember the legends who've gone before them over the years. Thats more than enough inspiration - no matter whos visiting.
"Here's Dalglish...........Oh and a goal!!"
PSN - sparkness08

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 09:09:48 am »
Sorry to pour cold water on the nostalgia like, but I don't believe it's going to happen unfortunately, the aura and mystique went in the 90's.

We have to accept that come next season we're the 4th, possibly 5th best placed team to win the league, and this is of course down to investment, but it's also down to how the club is run, and its failure to keep up with the administration, marketing and all those pesky business aspects of the game.

Offline Mr Premier League

• Kopite
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 09:16:23 am »
Can't help but blame the way the club is run for the current aura surrounding Anfield. Like at Newcastle and Real Madrid, the head of the snake is cancerous and causing a deep unseen rot to riddle through the club. It affects everyone from the management, the players to the fans. There is no real hope, no real future, and everyone knows it. Feels like everyone is just going through the motions until Liverpool Football Club is returned to the right hands.
Join my Circus.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 09:32:42 am »
The this is anfield sign had a lot to do with the atmosphere that the opposing teams were about to experience. Sadly for league games the atmosphere is nothing special at all.

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
  • 1-2,1-2-3,1-2-3-4...5-0
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 09:37:06 am »
This is a leadership issue, IMO.

Our leadership on the field is not good enough and, it would appear, our leadership off the field isn't either.

Not enough passion shown from top to bottom. The fans have a role to play in this and it's important that they do (and they did against Wigan). But the club is about a partnership between the staff and the fans.

Time to stop all the talking about turning our season around etc etc blah blah blah. Time for action - step up to the plate against Lille and show what this club is about.

Passion...that's what has been missing this season. Time to get it back.

Offline redannie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 09:43:52 am »
Read Dave Whelan's comments post match and whilst I've very little time for the xenophobic, self agrandising bloke it hurt to see him criticising the atmosphere at Anfield. It is no longer an intimidating place for the opposition Well done to those who travelled to Wigan by the way outsang their support for most of the game

Call me old fashioned (especially old!) but part of the match going experience for me is getting involved in games. I can't see Anfield as a place to be entertained I go to the theatre for that. Anfield is where I go to support the team as loudly as I can, to show my arrogance in the belief that Liverpool is the only club worth supporting. I'd even go so far as to say that I don't think the team will do well if I'm not there!!

I don't believe in living in the past we all have to move on with the times but this attitude that we go to a football game to be entertained is rubbish.

Those who use Shankly's philosophy as a tool to beat Rafa and the team with would do well to recall his comments on the club being a trinity of team, manager and supporters.

We need to play our part in rebuilding the hostile atmosphere at Anfield. Or have we all turned into gutless wonders with no stomach for the fight?

Offline LFCYNWA

• Anny Roader
  • Professional Kloppite
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 09:47:37 am »

At this rate I'm sorry to say it will be a while before we play the likes of Barca , Real . . .
unless its in a pre season friendly !!!

THIS IS ANFIELD WHERE LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB PLAY - Coma and have a good if you think you're good enough . . . sadly most teams think that these days !!

Offline redannie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 09:49:27 am »
PS look at teams like Stoke their supporters know they have very little chance of winning anything, staying in the pl is their target but the support is phenomenal

Offline slickman

• Sold to KrapTalk.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 09:50:40 am »
Yeah the crowd aint as good as the old days, but seriously the players the management need to show this team can string a few passes together its depressing turgid stuff and i dont fully blame the fans for lack of pasison and atmosphere as the football is awful to watch its all good getting behind the team and being loyal but you expect something back from the team and what their serving up is dreadful and embrassing and its not getting any better.

Offline mariov77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2010, 09:51:41 am »
Terry well said but the issue is not only the Anfield performances but the away performances as well. The players, staff and so on need to be reminded EVERYWHERE they play that this is LIVERPOOL FC..

The past was amazing the future looks scary...

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 10:15:39 am »

I remember touching that sign as a youngster and later on with my son and the hairs on my neck stood up. I allowed myself to imagine what it would be like to be wearing the red kit and walking out onto the lush Anfield turf to the deafening tones of You'll Never Walk Alone. For a few brief seconds it was amazing...
Now it seems as though some of players have lost the passion, the drive, the commitment and the realisation that they are playing for Liverpool and it shows in their performance and that gives visiting teams the edge. 
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline torres09

• Main Stander
  • - Above us only Sky -
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 11:44:09 am »
I echo these sentiments aswell but unfortunately I can't see the shits being put up opposing teams anytime soon,certainly not with the modern game and the type of fans and attitudes it entails,and daytrippers aswell who'd rather take photos all game to put on thier facebooks and sample the atmosphere rather than take part in it,as someone said above,it's been turned into a footballing theme park.

Sadly Anfield doesn't intimidate teams like it used to. It's mainly because of the shit atmosphere and the inconsistency of the team. Not to mention the terracing and the influence that had on the atmosphere. The culture of the working class game has eroded imo,most weeks it was 3 o'clock on a Saturday where you could pay at the gate and have a good laugh with your mates,now its monday nights and sunday mornings with ticket prices soaring through the roof and your lucky if you get a seat beside your mate at all.

It's a multi-billion pound industry now im afraid,players are paid to much and we suffer as a result with high ticket prices,I don't think the desire is there as it used to be - so lets grab a hotdog instead.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 11:45:46 am »

I'm sorry Terry, but this isn't the same Liverpool these days, 10/11 of the players don't even touch the sign.

Offline LFCfan4Life

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 11:47:29 am »
at anfield we have actually won 6 out of our last 6(since we lost to arsenal)

the problem is away from anfield
Two bulls, one old and one young, standing at the top of a field watching a herd of cows. The young one says, "hey let's run down and fuck one of them", and the older one says, "patience, let's walk down and fuck them all".

JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

Offline RedMarko

• Master arsonist and goat hater
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • TW42 now!!
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 12:01:24 pm »

Love the sentiment and agree 100%.

Fans vs Players at fault/responsibility for me is a moot point. It's too chicken/egg to bother with.

Fact is, Anfield CAN scare the shit out of teams. Spurs certainly saw what it can do to a team when fans are up for it and team are on fire.

The question is how do we get BOTH fans and team consistenly scaring the life out of visitors?

From a fans perspective, I think it's our responsibility to attempt to roar the team out of indifference. It's easy to be loud when we are playing well. The tough bit, but possible (see Spurs game for ways to make a difference), is to remind the team of what they are there for when times are bad....

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 12:05:16 pm »
I'm sorry Terry, but this isn't the same Liverpool these days, 10/11 of the players don't even touch the sign.

Do any of them even deserve to touch it? Surely touching the sign then going on the pitch and serving up the football they have would make it an empty gesture?

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 12:33:25 pm »
I have to disagree there mate

The players have to get it right then the fans.....

That attitude just sums up the problem.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline pascoli

• Shit Googler & Easily Amused Bar Steward...
  • Legacy Fan
  • PER ARDUA AD ASTRA
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 12:39:33 pm »
That attitude just sums up the problem.

Really?

Did you hear the fans away at Wigan the other night??

Did the players show ANYTHING at all in response to it??

No. They didn't. Not even a decent shot on goal.

The fans did their bit. For me itgs up to the players to pull their fucking fingers outg.
INTERNET TERRORIST. AND PROUD TOO.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2010, 12:39:38 pm »
Why don't I see any of the players these days tapping the sign hard anymore, letting the opposition players know who and what they're up against while leaving the tunnel? IMO that gesture alone is sufficient to make them shit.. Not happening these days, sadly.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2010, 12:41:50 pm »

Annoys the fuck out of me.

One of our great traditions being ignored by the team.

Of course it has lost the magic it once had.  But ballplayers are a madly superstitious lot.  If everyone on our team touched it, other teams would ignore it but wonder if.  Eventually you would see an occasional opponent doing the forbidden.  Our lot certainly shouldn't be discouraged from touching something that was touched by all the greats to pass that way.
Kill the humourless

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2010, 12:44:15 pm »

Really?

Did you hear the fans away at Wigan the other night??

Did the players show ANYTHING at all in response to it??

No. They didn't. Not even a decent shot on goal.

The fans did their bit. For me itgs up to the players to pull their fucking fingers outg.

I did hear it because I was there mate.
Unfortunately that wasn't at Anfield was it.....which is what this is all about.

Haven't you just agreed with me?
Did the fans wait for the players to perform...........we'd still be there waiting if that was the case.
No they did their bit so then it's up to the players.

Do you think the fans in Lille will be justified if they just sit and wait for the players to do something before they start supporting.

If you do then maybe you need to re-evaluate what being a Liverpool supporter is.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline James B

• anned.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team o' Caraghers!
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2010, 12:49:04 pm »

We had the team back then though, there are too many players in this current team who just aren't good enough.

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2010, 12:59:48 pm »
Rafa should get a stack of DVD's and show our great moments to the squad. A day spent looking at our history would probably be better than one on the training pitch.

Maybe the team would start to realise the pride they should feel wearing the badge. Until the team start to believe in themselves, why should anyone fear them?

Offline harvey-tuttle

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • "It's not where you're from, it's where you're at"
    • ELSON
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2010, 01:21:15 pm »

home or away, when we have "fans" sticking the knive in to the manager, what then goes through the minds of (some) players when he tells them what to do...the holy trinity has been damaged by young and old fans who seem to think that as long as they pay that any insult can be thrashed around in public without damage...we are all responsible for the state we are in...bar none!---Shanks woudl cry if he heard the lack of respect that the "fast food fans" dish out.. at least at away games we (tend) to have a hard core of support but even thats been damaged recently..get back tot he holy trinity ..hold together Supporters, manager and team...we call ourselves the "Liverpool family" lets show it , home or away...otherwise we will lose the respect shown to us world wide, on and off the pitch..
Freelance Subversive..
may the RED force be with you...
YNWA-J4t96

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2010, 02:01:41 pm »
Rafa should get a stack of DVD's and show our great moments to the squad. A day spent looking at our history would probably be better than one on the training pitch.
I think Graeme Souness has already shown that players don't take too kindly too history lessons.

Offline redpuma

• Kopite
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2010, 02:19:23 pm »

We need a change of manager for that to happen again.

Offline redpuma

• Kopite
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2010, 02:37:04 pm »
The aura has gone and it's going to be bloody hard to get back.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2010, 02:44:53 pm »

Get the flares back.  Fucking fannies, let's get a cauldron going.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2010, 02:45:40 pm »